Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559675 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4305 on: March 02, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »
Domestic or world wide?  The 6th Sense was made for 40 million and made it think 678 million.

$9m budget V 222m Gross = 24.5x budget.

$40m budget v 672m gross = 16.8x budget

Split is more successful.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4306 on: March 02, 2017, 12:38:08 PM »
Ah, gotcha!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4307 on: March 02, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
I guess you could see it that way, but Sixth Sense is still 419 million more dollars in the bank for the studio. If you make a movie for 1 dollar and it makes a 100 bucks it's a 100x budget profit, but so what.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4308 on: March 02, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »
Or you could gross 3 billion dollars but if it cost 2.9 billion then it's not a success.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4309 on: March 02, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »
$9m budget V 222m Gross = 24.5x budget. = 213 million profit

$40m budget v 672m gross = 16.8x budget = 632 million profit

I don't know which one is Split, but I'll take the second option please.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4310 on: March 02, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »
Or you could gross 3 billion dollars but if it cost 2.9 billion then it's not a success.

Sure, but no studio would finance that to begin with. That's such an extreme example that logic doesn't apply.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4311 on: March 02, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
$9m budget V 222m Gross = 24.5x budget. = 213 million profit

$40m budget v 672m gross = 16.8x budget = 632 million profit

I don't know which one is Split, but I'll take the second option please.

You have to remember that most films only publish their production budget and the promotional budget is about the same on top. It's not exact but it's a rough guide.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4312 on: March 02, 2017, 04:21:41 PM »
The Edge of Seventeen (2016): 6/10

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4313 on: March 02, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »
The Edge of Seventeen (2016): 6/10

This is the movie on my "to see from 2016" that I'm the least excited about.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:12:28 AM by BlackInk »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4314 on: March 02, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
Logan.

..........wow. That was the most human comic book film I've ever seen. Just an amazing film. Few minor issues, but nothing really that hurt the film for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4315 on: March 03, 2017, 09:34:37 AM »
Watched Glengarry Glen Ross for the first time in 20 years last night.

So awesome.  Also, it was a little unnerving to see and hear Jack Lemon use that kind of language lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4316 on: March 03, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
Logan.

..........wow. That was the most human comic book film I've ever seen. Just an amazing film. Few minor issues, but nothing really that hurt the film for me.

I'm going to try and see it this weekend.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4317 on: March 03, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »

So awesome.  Also, it was a little unnerving to see and hear Jack Lemon use that kind of language lol

The good news is, you're fired.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4318 on: March 03, 2017, 03:47:03 PM »
I remember Byzantium!

Last movie saw: Allied. I checked it out because the idea seemed nice and I already had forgotten about the plot, so I watched it barely remembering why I even wanted to watch it in the first place. It was a good move in indsight 'cause I never knew what was coming, so I didn't know if anything would have gone well in the first act, nor I knew until it happened the "real" plot kicked in.

It has Brad Pitt and Marillion Cotillard in Casablanca during war time, and no, it's not a ripoff or an homage to Casablanca, it just happens to share the setting. Very good "secret agents" movie but it's just not a war movie, it's a good mix of drama / romance / war. Highly recommended!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4319 on: March 03, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »

The steak knives are for closers!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4320 on: March 03, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »
I remember Byzantium!

What did you think of it?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4321 on: March 03, 2017, 10:42:39 PM »
Doctor Strange

Holy shit, that was cool!  Killer effects.  Like a Cyriak video, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Five interdimensional gateways out of five.  Will definitely watch again.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #4322 on: March 03, 2017, 10:58:22 PM »
Moonlight (2016):

Good, but I'm not sure why it won best picture. Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and Manchester by the Sea were much much better. Still need to see the other best picture nominees. Anyway, 7/10 for Moonlight.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4323 on: March 04, 2017, 02:27:22 AM »
Nightcrawler. It was pretty good, Jake Gyllenhaal is awesome as always.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4324 on: March 04, 2017, 07:56:04 AM »
Moonlight (2016):

Good, but I'm not sure why it won best picture. Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and Manchester by the Sea were much much better. Still need to see the other best picture nominees. Anyway, 7/10 for Moonlight.

Those other movies all starred white people, as did La-La Land.  Moonlight is obviously the best because diversity.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4325 on: March 04, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4326 on: March 04, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
The Conversation (1974): 1/10

If you suffer from insomnia, watch it immediately!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4327 on: March 05, 2017, 02:27:59 AM »
John Wick: Chapter 2. Badass movie with some of the best produced action I've seen. I'd say I like it just slightly more than the first one.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4328 on: March 05, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
William Peter Blatty's The Ninth Configuration. Its a shame that Blatty didn't direct more films.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4329 on: March 05, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
He did an excellent job with the Exorcist. That movie is awesome and it still holds up big time. I could only imagine how freaked out people were watching it at the time of release.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #4330 on: March 05, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »
My mom saw it at the time of release. It traumatized her. She refuses to watch it again or even talk about it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4331 on: March 06, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »
Saw two movies Saturday night.

The Nice Guys: based on commercials and trailers, and comments from people I know who have seen it, I really expected to like this one.  However, for some reason, I expected it to be one thing, and it was completely something else.  I didn't quite like it.  It wasn't bad, just didn't fit my expectation (which is not in and of itself a bad thing, but it didn't work for me this time).  Too bad.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates: based on what I knew about this one, I did NOT expect to like it very much.  Just needed something different than The Nice Guys to wash that out of my mind.  And it was very different.  Overall, it's really not that good of a film, but it was what I needed at the time.  It had some really funny parts, and although Anna Kendrick was woefully underutilized here (I am shocked she made this film), it's never bad to have Aubrey Plaza in anything (currently killing it in Legion, as well). 

I will most likely never watch either of them again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4332 on: March 10, 2017, 05:38:18 PM »
Hacksaw Ridge (2016): 2/10

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4333 on: March 10, 2017, 11:54:49 PM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4334 on: March 11, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »
I've heard really polarized reviews. Some people love it, some people really seem to hate it.

I remember being turned off in the trailers from his accent, but then I looked up the guy he's playing and he's doing a spot on job.

I'll see it on DVD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4335 on: March 11, 2017, 05:39:46 AM »

How?
By having watched it and not liking it. I wanted to vomit and I can't understand the hype about this movie.

I don't believe anything I say will make any difference. No matter what arguments I use, you watched the movie and you liked it and if you are asking how come and why I didn't like it, it means I am (almost) supposed to have liked it or that I should have liked it (since almost everybody did!). You will defend your position, I will defend mine. Our opinions will remain the same.

I am sure I could find lots of movies that I love and that many people hate. I accept and respect that they don't. End of story. Asking why is almost asking them to like it because I like it. And as I said, of course I could give you reasons and more reasons why I didn't like it, but how many reasons or what reasons would be good enough?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4336 on: March 11, 2017, 05:41:43 AM »
Your kidding me.  You watched it? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4337 on: March 11, 2017, 05:46:38 AM »

How?
By having watched it and not liking it. I wanted to vomit and I can't understand the hype about this movie.

I don't believe anything I say will make any difference. No matter what arguments I use, you watched the movie and you liked it and if you are asking how come and why I didn't like it, it means I am (almost) supposed to have liked it or that I should have liked it (since almost everybody did!). You will defend your position, I will defend mine. Our opinions will remain the same.

I am sure I could find lots of movies that I love and that many people hate. I accept and respect that they don't. End of story. Asking why is almost asking them to like it because I like it. And as I said, of course I could give you reasons and more reasons why I didn't like it, but how many reasons or what reasons would be good enough?
WTF

It's a discussion forum. You gave a terrible rating to a movie that was nominated for Best Picture. He asked why.  Nothing unreasonable about that. Not sure why you had the reaction to the question that you did.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4338 on: March 11, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
WTF

It's a discussion forum. You gave a terrible rating to a movie that was nominated for Best Picture. He asked why.  Nothing unreasonable about that. Not sure why you had the reaction to the question that you did.
The fact that it was nominated for Best Picture doesn't mean a thing. It is like saying "OMG you didn't like Justin Bieber's (or whatever artist) new album??? It won the grammy (or whatever prize)! How come??" The fact that other people selected it as the best, doesn't mean it is the best.

I am not saying it is unreasonable to ask me why I didn't like the movie, I am saying it leads nowhere. You can discuss taste all day, as much as you want. In the end of the day, no matter what is said or what reasons you give, you still have the same opinion. He can state why he liked the movie so much, it won't change the fact that I didn't like it and vice versa. I didn't mean to sound agressive or to offend him, if that's how you understood.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4339 on: March 11, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
JHC, dude.  It's a DISCUSSION forum.  It would be pretty boring if we all just said I like this movie or I don't like that movie without any elaboration or discussion.