Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559789 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4130 on: January 29, 2017, 05:00:14 AM »
So apparently there is a kindergarten cop 2 with Drago

I didn't watch the movie, just the trailer, and I threw up in my mouth a little

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4131 on: January 29, 2017, 05:03:39 AM »
I watched it because I noticed it was on Netflix one day. It's worse than you have probably imagined.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4132 on: January 29, 2017, 05:16:17 AM »
Well, Bill Bellamy is in it. I can't imagine it being any good at all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4133 on: January 29, 2017, 05:23:37 AM »
I watched it because I noticed it was on Netflix one day. It's worse than you have probably imagined.

I don't know, I imagine it being pretty damn awful.

I've been aware of it since it was announced, but never had any impulse to watch it, even with Ivan Drago. There's also a Jingle All The Way 2, which I was unfortunate enough to catch part of on TV before Christmas. It was also just as bad as you would imagine.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4134 on: January 29, 2017, 06:18:02 AM »
Predestination. There is obvious time paradox but I guess movies is built on that. Very enjoyable nevertheless, Hawke is amazing.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4135 on: January 29, 2017, 06:39:15 AM »
Watched No Country for Old Men.

Well... I just didn't like it. I won't say it's a bad movie 'cause it obviously isn't, but it just didn't click with me. When it ended I was like "Wait, is it actually over?"...  they didn't even show the main character being killed (or his blody clearly shown) so I was waiting at the end for some kind of reveal that he survived, and that maybe he was the one behind the car accident (with the two kids being also involved somehow). No, bad guy gets in a car accident, walks away, movie's over.

I enjoyed the movie but I remember when I saw the ending for the first time. I was just like "wait what?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4136 on: January 29, 2017, 06:54:20 AM »
The story is about Tommy Lee Jones character growing old and realising he is ill equipped to deal with the new threats.

Javier Bardem's car crash is showing that he is getting sloppy and will at some point meet his end.

Josh Brolin was just some guy caught up in the middle.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4137 on: January 29, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
Watched No Country for Old Men.

Well... I just didn't like it. I won't say it's a bad movie 'cause it obviously isn't, but it just didn't click with me. When it ended I was like "Wait, is it actually over?"...  they didn't even show the main character being killed (or his blody clearly shown) so I was waiting at the end for some kind of reveal that he survived, and that maybe he was the one behind the car accident (with the two kids being also involved somehow). No, bad guy gets in a car accident, walks away, movie's over.

Sheriff Bell is the main character.  Even though he doesn't have as much screen time as Moss, the story is ultimately about the sheriff.  Moss' story is just a plot device.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #4138 on: January 29, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
Yeah, I remember watching the movie with my dad and my brother back in 2007 after it won the Oscar, and we got that same feel of disappointment when it ended..

Yet, two years ago or so I decided to give it a second try, because a guy recommended it to me, and even when I told him that I didn't like it, he said that I should watch it again and pay more attention.. Besides, I knew that when I first saw it I was a teenager without the experience I had now after seeing lots of movies and the like, so I did it..

That second time I happen to liked it much more, although most of that was because right after finish watching it I found a few explanations on some pages that matched what I noted while watching it and other that went beyond.. There were some details that I had not noticed, and the more interesting theories about the meaning of the film fit all those details.. Explanations I saw are in the vein of what Kotowboy and KevShmev have said..

Predestination. There is obvious time paradox but I guess movies is built on that. Very enjoyable nevertheless, Hawke is amazing.

I read the short story the movie was based (before watching the movie), and it was one of the best things I've read.. I'll say is a MUST READ.. Short story, by Robert Heinlein, is named "All You Zombies"... but is nothing about zombies.. ;D

The movie is only 'good', although I know I'm influenced by the fact that I read the book before.. The main idea is too simply yet so confusing and also excellent.. Please, to anyone that watched the film or read the book, do not spoil the end.. The idea is so amazing that I'd say the movie it's also a MUST WATCH..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4139 on: January 29, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »
Dog Day Afternoon

I had always heard how good this was, and it was on cable recently, so I DVR'd it and watched it.  I thought the first half was great, but the second half got really tedious and left me waiting for it to end.  Good movie overall, but I suspect it got tons of love because it was a great Pacino performance immediately following the first two Godfather flicks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4140 on: January 29, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »
That's such a good movie but I was disappointed with the ending. One of the only other movies John Cazale ever did.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4141 on: January 29, 2017, 11:32:50 AM »

I read the short story the movie was based (before watching the movie), and it was one of the best things I've read.. I'll say is a MUST READ.. Short story, by Robert Heinlein, is named "All You Zombies"... but is nothing about zombies.. ;D

The movie is only 'good', although I know I'm influenced by the fact that I read the book before.. The main idea is too simply yet so confusing and also excellent.. Please, to anyone that watched the film or read the book, do not spoil the end.. The idea is so amazing that I'd say the movie it's also a MUST WATCH..
I didn't even know it was based on short story. I'll read it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #4142 on: January 29, 2017, 01:43:22 PM »

I didn't even know it was based on short story. I'll read it.

:tup
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4143 on: January 29, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
Just got back from seeing arrival and I loved it, I can't wait to see it again.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4144 on: January 29, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
Watched The Emperor's New Groove and didn't really understand everyone's love for it. Seemed mediocre to me. Maybe it was because of the time period it came out?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4145 on: January 29, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »
Watched The Emperor's New Groove and didn't really understand everyone's love for it. Seemed mediocre to me. Maybe it was because of the time period it came out?

I saw it like....maybe a year or so ago, maybe two years. It looked dumb. It looked like a little kids movie that I assumed people only liked cause they watched it as kids (like with Power Rangers or Voltron for me), but actually I really liked it. It just had a really cool and self-aware sense of humor to it, and of course Kronk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4146 on: January 29, 2017, 10:59:29 PM »
Saw Split last night. Loved it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4147 on: January 29, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »
For the Love of Spock. Really great tribute to Nimoy and his impact across the world. Really inspiring.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4148 on: January 30, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »
For the Love of Spock. Really great tribute to Nimoy and his impact across the world. Really inspiring.
I also enjoyed that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Ew
« Reply #4149 on: January 30, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »
It's Such a Beautiful Day. Wonderful animated movie, very original and well directed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4150 on: January 30, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »

I felt it focused on negative aspects a bit too much for it to be a "celebration" of Nimoy's life.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4151 on: January 31, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »
Watchmen

I love the graphic novel and I also love the film, but I can completely understand why people don't like it.

I also watched the motion comic recently and that is very cool.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4152 on: January 31, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »

I felt it focused on negative aspects a bit too much for it to be a "celebration" of Nimoy's life.

Did it though? I mean, it made him human. Dude wasn't perfect. He worked way too much and neglected his family. Basically any TV actor has that element to their biography. What other negative aspects did it spend too much time on?

And the whole ending was everyone saying words like "love" to describe him, and how certain people went to work at NASA because of him. Felt very inspirational to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4153 on: January 31, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »

Did it though? I mean, it made him human. Dude wasn't perfect. He worked way too much and neglected his family. Basically any TV actor has that element to their biography. What other negative aspects did it spend too much time on?

And the whole ending was everyone saying words like "love" to describe him, and how certain people went to work at NASA because of him. Felt very inspirational to me.

I agree. As it came largely from his son's perspective, I think the goal was to humanize him in a way that a documentary from someone else couldn't have, but I don't think it focused on the negative too much. The overall message was very positive.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4154 on: February 01, 2017, 09:01:45 AM »
Me too.  I didn't think it focused on negativity too much at all.  It just showed the complete Nimoy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #4155 on: February 01, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »
I Am a Hero (2015):

Well made very entertaining and funny (I actually laughed out loud a couple of times) Japanese zombie movie with likeable characters and great special effects (I don't like CG gore, but those were probably the best CG head explosions I've ever seen). One of the best zombie movies I've seen in years. Such a satisfying watch. 8.5/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3775202/reference
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:06:14 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4156 on: February 01, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »
It's a zombie movie? I've had that movie on my imdb watch list for years, but never ended up watching it. Sounds better than I expected from the description.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4157 on: February 01, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
Watched Zootopia with the wife.  Yeah, a "kid's movie" but the good ones work on multiple levels, and this was a good one.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #4158 on: February 01, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »
It's a zombie movie? I've had that movie on my imdb watch list for years, but never ended up watching it. Sounds better than I expected from the description.

Lol actually I just read the summary and I'm not sure who wrote it, but they must have watched a different movie because the only thing they got right was the main character's name. I don't remember the main character witnessing a car crashing into a zombie and he doesn't have hallucinations. Anyway, it's a great movie. It's probably the best zombie movie I've seen this decade so far. I liked it more than Train to Busan (in case you don't know it, it's a 2016 South Korean zombie movie that got a lot of praise. It has a 7.5/10 rating with more than 40 000 votes on IMDb) and Dead Snow 2.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4159 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
Damn, I'd avoided it because it sounded kinda pretentious from that description, but the way you're describing sounds like more my kind of Japanese movie. I haven't seen the others you've mentioned. I'll probably watch this tomorrow.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #4160 on: February 01, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »
I hope you like it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4161 on: February 02, 2017, 12:19:58 AM »
The End of Evangelion. Pure japanese mindfucking madness. And I loved it  :metal

What a great series.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4162 on: February 02, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »
Groundhog Day.  My oldest daughter had never seen it, so we watched it.

Classic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4163 on: February 02, 2017, 07:55:53 AM »
Did she go " Daddy - when is he gonna rip the fucking head off it and say die mother fucker ? "

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4164 on: February 02, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »
Did she go " Daddy - when is he gonna rip the fucking head off it and say die mother fucker ? "
No.

Rip the head off what?