Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554457 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #3815 on: December 21, 2016, 01:05:08 AM »
Looper, been a while since I first saw it in the theater. Great fun time-travelling movie by Rian Johnson. I really can't wait for his take on the next Star Wars episode and glad to know that he's contributed to the story of the last episode as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3816 on: December 21, 2016, 01:07:17 AM »
Looper, been a while since I first saw it in the theater. Great fun time-travelling movie by Rian Johnson. I really can't wait for his take on the next Star Wars episode and glad to know that he's contributed to the story of the last episode as well.

I think I'm the only person that really didn't like Looper. I really liked the idea of the minor telekinesis that some people develop that isn't important anymore, but that was it. Their version of time travel was just so frustrating that I couldn't enjoy any of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3817 on: December 21, 2016, 03:26:23 AM »
While the time travel thing makes no sense, I also think Looper is a really good movie.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3818 on: December 21, 2016, 05:14:57 AM »
I really liked looper. It slowed down quite a bit when they hit the farm, but otherwise it was a great film. I really loved Brick as well, so I am curious to see what he does with Star Wars

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3819 on: December 21, 2016, 06:51:13 AM »
I think I'm the only person that really didn't like Looper.
Think again, my son.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3820 on: December 21, 2016, 07:08:13 AM »
While the time travel thing makes no sense
What part of it makes no sense? I thought they kept it pretty straightforward.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3821 on: December 21, 2016, 07:18:21 AM »
Yeah, internally within the movie it works just fine, and doesn't make the movie any worse. But in terms of how time travel would likely work in reality, its logic is pretty weird.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3822 on: December 21, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »
Ex Machina

A very compelling film

And about halfway through, It dawned on me that I was watching Poe Dameron and General Hux. Blew my mind for a second

And Spoilers

I guess general hux is just gonna starve to death? What a bitch. Also this is a damn good Terminator movie, but a much different kind of terminator movie.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:52:33 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online Adami

« Reply #3823 on: December 21, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »
Yeah, internally within the movie it works just fine, and doesn't make the movie any worse. But in terms of how time travel would likely work in reality, its logic is pretty weird.

As far as making up whatever illogical stuff they want and sticking by it, yes it works within the movie, but the complete irrationality of it was too much and took me out of the movie. Especially for an otherwise serious movie that's trying to be profound. If it was a comedy or something, it wouldn't have bothered me much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3824 on: December 21, 2016, 06:50:40 PM »

As far as making up whatever illogical stuff they want and sticking by it, yes it works within the movie, but the complete irrationality of it was too much and took me out of the movie. Especially for an otherwise serious movie that's trying to be profound. If it was a comedy or something, it wouldn't have bothered me much.

What exactly is the irrationality? I mean could you elaborate because I'm trying to figure out sinc you're saying it works for the context of the movie.

Online Adami

« Reply #3825 on: December 21, 2016, 06:53:28 PM »

What exactly is the irrationality? I mean could you elaborate because I'm trying to figure out sinc you're saying it works for the context of the movie.

When they do something to the younger version (like hurt him or kill him or whatever) and then it suddenly affects the old version for the first time. That's just not how it could possibly work in any way at all. If they do anything to the young version, then that's the history that the old version already experienced and thus should already have that stuff. If it's not the history they experienced, then the old version should be completely unaffected.

I said it worked in the movie in the sense that they kept within their own rules, even if their own rules are nonsense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3826 on: December 21, 2016, 07:41:55 PM »
That movie was ok.

Been watching some stuff lately:

Whiplash. Pretty good movie about obsession and perfectionism. The performances and acting were on point.

Blade Runner. Well, finally got to this one. Fuck, the photography is fucking awesome, no doubt this is so influential. Some pretty awkward scenes tho. And the soundtrack hasn't aged so well imo.

Mulholland Drive. Rewatched, and it kinda made more sense now I was aware of some fan theories. Will try some other Lynch movies.

Sully. Nice movie with Tom Hanks.

Akira. Holy fuck, that was amazing. Animation is superb, plot and music were on point.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3827 on: December 21, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
I think I'm the only person that really didn't like Looper.
Think again, my son.

I haven't even heard of it until I just looked it up. Since I generally don't like sci-fi movies, I'll just preemptively add myself to this list.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3828 on: December 21, 2016, 09:39:19 PM »

When they do something to the younger version (like hurt him or kill him or whatever) and then it suddenly affects the old version for the first time. That's just not how it could possibly work in any way at all. If they do anything to the young version, then that's the history that the old version already experienced and thus should already have that stuff. If it's not the history they experienced, then the old version should be completely unaffected.

I said it worked in the movie in the sense that they kept within their own rules, even if their own rules are nonsense.

I don't know you're explaining the answer yourself right there but it doesn't seem like you want it to work that way. With regards to the highlighted part, maybe that's not the case if he goes back in time, then everything becomes fair game. Either way it just seems you're unable to separate your own dislike for the time travel mechanism in the movie with how you think time travel should've been showed in the movie.

Online Adami

« Reply #3829 on: December 21, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »
It's just insanely illogical. There's no logic to it. At all. It's just "Well...we'll do this to make the story work".

Like I said, if the movie wasn't so serious, I wouldn't care, because almost no one gets time travel right anyway, but this movie took itself VERY seriously and therefore I was let down they put so little thought into the time travel logic. Might as well have added in that we only use 10% of our brain and whatever.

I mean, if you like it, cool, more power to you. But please don't tell me my reason for disagreeing with their logic is wrong.

I'll give an example with the ending, since it's the one I remember best, sorry for spoilers.

Little Willis shoots himself to stop big Willis from killing the mom. The logic being that if little Willis is dead, big Willis never existed and therefore disappears. However, that makes no sense. If little Willis dies, and you're saying big Willis never existed, then he never went back in time in the first place because he never existed, he never caused the entire plot to happen. If you want to say that you can actively re-write the timeline, then it wouldn't magically only take affect at the dramatically important time.

That remake movie of The Time Machine explained it pretty well. Dude keeps trying to go back and change his past but can't do it no matter how he tries. Eventually he finds out that if he goes back in time to change the past, then he never has a desire to go back in the first place, because the past no longer needs changing, and therefore never goes back to change the past. It's a paradox. This movie just ignored it and went with the most lazy way with it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:52:30 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3830 on: December 21, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »
It's unfortunate so many movies/shows have such a poor grasp of time travel causality, especially in cases where the premise rides on it.
I haven't seen Looper. I'd heard it didn't hold up well, so I didn't bother. Plus I have a general aversion to Hollywood attempting scifi.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #3831 on: December 21, 2016, 09:59:08 PM »
It's unfortunate so many movies/shows have such a poor grasp of time travel causality, especially in cases where the premise rides on it.
I haven't seen Looper. I'd heard it didn't hold up well, so I didn't bother.

Not a movie, but I still hold that Continuum has one of the best (if not the best) displays of time travel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3832 on: December 21, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »
I'd say it certainly does for a TV show. I've seen movies that do time travel as good and perhaps better, but it's easier for a movie to manage it when it only has to do so for a couple of hours and one idea, rather than an entire series.

Actually, I think Timeless has the best display of time travel. :neverusethis:

Online Adami

« Reply #3833 on: December 21, 2016, 10:03:20 PM »
I'd say it certainly does for a TV show. I've seen movies that do time travel perhaps better, but it's easier for a movie to manage it when it only has to do so for 2 hours and one idea, rather than an entire series.

Yea, I just remember watching the very end of the last episode when Kira shows up in her future and thinking to myself "Nooo don't blow this! You guys have gotten it so right so far, don't make this mistake" then she saw the other Kira and I was like "YES!".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3834 on: December 21, 2016, 10:10:31 PM »
I trusted them to do it right, so I expected the second Kira (I was also half expecting no kid at all in the new timeline), but it definitely made me happy that they'd stuck the landing in terms of internal consistency.

Online Adami

« Reply #3835 on: December 21, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
I trusted them to do it right, so I expected the second Kira (I was also half expecting no kid at all in the new timeline), but it definitely made me happy that they'd stuck the landing in terms of internal consistency.

Now if only we can get a short spin-off about who the hell the traveler is haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3836 on: December 21, 2016, 10:12:06 PM »
I mean, if you like it, cool, more power to you. But please don't tell me my reason for disagreeing with their logic is wrong.
I wasn't saying your reason was wrong, just that your reason seemed like it wasn't played out the way you wanted. You gave an example scenario of where the time travel mechanism used in the movie doesn't work and that's fair. It didn't bother me and I didn't see it that way.

Online Adami

« Reply #3837 on: December 21, 2016, 10:19:01 PM »
I wasn't saying your reason was wrong, just that your reason seemed like it wasn't played out the way you wanted. You gave an example scenario of where the time travel mechanism used in the movie doesn't work and that's fair. It didn't bother me and I didn't see it that way.

Totally, it probably bothers me more than most people and I'm cool with that. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few grinches that didn't like it for that reason (also weird makeup on little Willis).

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3838 on: December 21, 2016, 10:25:54 PM »
Then again I tend to be on the opposite side and be extremely relaxed on inconsistencies and plot holes and the sort. I think it's probably why I have so few movies that I really hate.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3839 on: December 22, 2016, 11:53:42 PM »
Saw the new Jason Bourne movie, it's not a bad movie in itself with some good action here and there but it ultimately brought nothing new to the series. It took many parts of each of the first three and made a mix of them. The best way to describe it is the movie is like the song Shattered Fortress by DT. Lots of old parts redressed and fit into the new song with some new parts mixed in.
I'd probably rate it a 5.5/10.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3840 on: December 23, 2016, 01:08:01 AM »
I agree, the whole thing just felt unnecessary.

There was one thing I was intrigued by at the end. I thought Vikander's character was going to have him come back to work for the agency and the next one would be him as an agent again. That would have at least been something new, but of course, that didn't happen so now he's just on the run again.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3841 on: December 23, 2016, 05:07:11 AM »
I Origins. Friend recommended it to me so I had to see it since we have similar tastes. It was enjoyable but just too much for me in some moments. It could've been executed better, I think. It's not bad but not great either.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3842 on: December 24, 2016, 05:26:34 AM »
Guardians of the galaxy. Again, recommendation from the (other) friend. It's classic Marvel movie but I liked it more than I thought I would. It is entertaining and fun to watch.
(someone, break my multiple posts combo please :lol)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3843 on: December 24, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
I really like Guardians of the Galaxy. One of Marvel's best.

Online Adami

« Reply #3844 on: December 24, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
I really like Guardians of the Galaxy. One of Marvel's best.

Minus the basic plot and villain, but most of the characters are so great that it generally slips by. Rocket and Starlord were just so god damn good, and I even enjoyed Drax despite them re-writing his character from the comics.

Looking forward to Vol. 2, just hope it's written better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3845 on: December 24, 2016, 01:33:04 PM »
Anyone seen Passengers?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3846 on: December 24, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »
Thursday morning, on the subway.

:vomitard:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3847 on: December 24, 2016, 02:32:30 PM »
 :facepalm: :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online faizoff

« Reply #3848 on: December 24, 2016, 11:10:42 PM »
Suicide Squad was not as bad as I dreaded. For a huge set of characters I thought the movie handled them quite well, sure the movie is full of corny puns and dialogue but honestly didn't really have any major issues with it. Even with the ghostbusters plot I thought it was quite an entertaining movie way better than X-Men Apocalypse which was possibly even worse than The Last Stand.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3849 on: December 25, 2016, 01:15:27 AM »
Deepwater Horizon - Incredibly tense movie that I enjoyed a lot.

Inferno - The one with Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. I actually liked it. There movies are pretty ridiculous at times, but they're engaging and fun as you watch them so I don't mind. Maybe one too many bad-guy-reveals but overall it was definetely a fun ride.

And Suicide Squad is at this point the 30th best movie I've seen this year, and I've seen 30 movies this year.

Minus the basic plot and villain, but most of the characters are so great that it generally slips by.

Yeah I agree, which shows you just how important good characters are. I also hope the next one has some more meat to it in terms of story since people might be getting out of the honeymoon-phase with these characters by now.