Author Topic: What would your life be like?  (Read 3657 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
What would your life be like?
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:40:55 AM »
...without joining this forum? Imagine you had never joined DTF. I certainly wouldn't have discovered all the awesome music out there. I also wouldn't have gotten to know some of the coolest people in the world. IMAGINE!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What would your life be like?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
I would certainly have more room on my hard drive.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:57 AM »
I would certainly have more room on my hard drive.

Amen to that.

I've also forged some great friends that we meet up for shows, of to hang out when in town.  It's a great community.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »
If id never joined DTF everyone here would be much better off. :)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »
 :yeahright Haven't heard that before.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:58:03 AM »

This sounds like a written letter.  Cut that out you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:34 AM »
I'd probably be dead.

True story.

I joined the forums right after my dad died. You guys helped me pull through that depression. People have come and gone in my life during the past 6 years but you guys have always been here. Even the lowest point in my life... when I went through the horrid breakup with my ex a couple years ago... back when all I wanted was to not be here anymore... back when I felt nothing but loneliness. Back when I was depressed to the point where I sliced the shit out of my arm just to see if I felt pain... I still had DTF. You guys are my family. DTF is my home. Just like with my music... even when I have no one and nothing else... I have DTF.

:heart :heart :heart

:JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »

This sounds like a written letter.  Cut that out you.

Eh?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »
You know, I'm not good enough for this world and stuff.  Keep making music and handing out coffee to jerks like me.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:13:20 AM »
I'd probably be dead.

True story.

I joined the forums right after my dad died. You guys helped me pull through that depression. People have come and gone in my life during the past 6 years but you guys have always been here. Even the lowest point in my life... when I went through the horrid breakup with my ex a couple years ago... back when all I wanted was to not be here anymore... back when I felt nothing but loneliness. Back when I was depressed to the point where I sliced the shit out of my arm just to see if I felt pain... I still had DTF. You guys are my family. DTF is my home. Just like with my music... even when I have no one and nothing else... I have DTF.

Glad we all have a place like this. So many understanding people here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:36 AM »
I'd probably be dead.

True story.

Hey, man.  That's what we're here for.

This place was a great help to me as well after my father passed.

I love you guys.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »
:hearts:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:00:46 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
I'm not even going to begin to speculate. When I joined DTF I was a chronic alcoholic/addict about one check away from being homeless or one drink away from being dead. You guys have been a fucking rock through the most hectic years a person could go through, and I couldn't even begin to express my gratitude.

*dry humps computer*

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
I would have missed out on a lot of damn good music I never even knew about. That's for sure.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 06:02:53 PM »
I'm not even going to begin to speculate. When I joined DTF I was a chronic alcoholic/addict about one check away from being homeless or one drink away from being dead. You guys have been a fucking rock through the most hectic years a person could go through, and I couldn't even begin to express my gratitude.

*dry humps computer*

*Eagerly awaits for pictures of dry humping*

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 06:14:13 PM »

*dry humps computer*

*Eagerly awaits for pictures of dry humping*

Yeah, what the fuck? Pics please.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 07:10:01 PM »

*dry humps computer*

I think it moved. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »
My life before DTF was awful and depressing.

It still is...but it was before as well :rollin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »
Before DTF I used to be an ugly teenager that knew nothing about music. Now, I owe at least half my music collection to this forum :heart.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:12 PM »
I would still be listening to only classic rock.  Still listen, but most of my ipod is progressive.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:52 PM »
I don't know really. I found some great music through the years at DTF and that music has had a big impact on my life.

There is a bit more than that though, I'm a member of a few forums but this is the only forum that I feel like I'm actually part of the community. I feel like I've been around long enough to know the people just by reading their posts, it's also the first site I visit when I wake up in the morning.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:29 PM »
I'm only here because of Dream Theater, so the real question is what would my life be like without discovering DT. I suppose I would have taken up a life of crime and become a drug kingpin.

Offline Cable

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 06:08:59 AM »
Not different.

I am a MPForum transplant, and before that was on the old DT.net. Never frequent poster on DT.net, and I had a moderate spike on MP. I feel I got most recommendations and good interactions from MPforum.

Here it hasn't panned out so well from my perspective. But I still enjoy some of it. The internet has also changed a lot, as I feel forums are a relic of the older days of the internet (i.e. before social media and internet phones).
---

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 06:13:02 AM »
Before DTF I used to be an ugly teenager that knew nothing about music. Now, I owe at least half my music collection to this forum :heart.
So, still ugly?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 08:40:05 AM »
So, still ugly?

I was fat but hot looking before DTF.  My legend still grows.....like my waistline.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »
Before DTF I used to be an ugly teenager that knew nothing about music. Now, I owe at least half my music collection to this forum :heart .
So, still ugly?
There are some thing that never change :lol .

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »
I would've missed out on some awesome friends, some great music and movies, and a lot of fun experiences. I've hung out with DTFers all over the country and it's been a blast.

Just a few of the things I've done with DTFers: multiple hangouts in NJ (including the infamous hat day), wandered San Francisco and watched sea lions, danced in a gay bar and got a tattoo in Chicago, made fun of bad movies while drinking, consumed delicious beer and food, seen amazing concerts, gotten smashed, gotten laid, did the Systematic Chaos "yelling in the studio" thing

I also might be slightly more tan without y'all :lol

Not different.

I am a MPForum transplant, and before that was on the old DT.net. Never frequent poster on DT.net, and I had a moderate spike on MP. I feel I got most recommendations and good interactions from MPforum.

Here it hasn't panned out so well from my perspective. But I still enjoy some of it. The internet has also changed a lot, as I feel forums are a relic of the older days of the internet (i.e. before social media and internet phones).

....all right then.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
Yeah... that ^^^ was kind of out of place

Anyways. To answer the question, I suspect that my music library would be much smaller and much less interesting. I never would have met the smashing people that I've met and I never would have got talking (and spent years of time, subsequently) to the smashing person who started this thread. I would have lost a lot of laughs, or at least had to have looked elsewhere for them. Good job DTF!  :tup

I suspect I'd also spend a lot less time on the internet (since DTF is well over half my online time) and a lot more time outside.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
I learned how to interact with people more by joining. I wasn't always a social child, so I would say it helped me mature in that aspect. Of course, I also got silly with trolling and whatnot in that regard, but overall this place has helped me learn to talk to people. Definite transference to real life. There's still some good people here, and my long lost father, hefdaddy42.

Music tastes have changed with the spirit of this forum and 5/8.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
I think most of the stuff I've learned as far as "life in general" was from ViolentGreen. In fact, it was because of him that I started using proper grammar and punctuation. He was influential in other areas, as well. I was probably 16 or so, so he was damn impressionable for me. He taught me a lot about logic, life, and being open to ideas outside of my "bubble."
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
For me, the forum has impacted my music tastes.  Quite a few bands I love now I learned about here.  Also, it's been a nice place to kind of let off some steam, or to feel like someone had an idea about me.  Lately I haven't been posting much, but this has been a very important place for me.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Cable

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »

What was out of place? People use Twitter and Facebook a lot more than forums in 2015 vs. 2004. And I personally didn't like some conversations from my perspective, sorry. I was answering the OP question from my viewpoint. My life would be no different if I did not join here. Having to defend my honest opinion certainly doesn't help.  :-\

But whatever, sorry, carry on.  *awaits  :chill*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:56:57 PM by CableX »
---

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »

What was out of place? People use Twitter and Facebook a lot more than forums in 2015 vs. 2004. And I personally didn't like some conversations from my perspective, sorry. I was answering the OP question from my viewpoint. My life would be no different if I did not join here. Having to defend my honest opinion certainly doesn't help.  :-\

I guess I understand. Too bad you couldn't find a good place in the forum. It isn't for everyone.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 09:59:39 PM »

No need to chill, I guess I just didn't entirely understand. Seemed somewhat ironic and odd, to be honest. But you've done nothing wrong- I apologize.   :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.