Author Topic: Version of Home without the moaning?  (Read 13491 times)

Offline Evai

Re: Version of Home without the moaning?
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2017, 04:09:33 AM »
I've been working on a moan free version for about a week now. I think I finally got it to my liking. The whole build up is gone, so it goes right into the solo. I like Home just fine the way it is, although it's still awkward when on in the car, but this was just a fun project to see if I could. I think it turned out pretty good.

You could've just muted the right channel and made that section mono
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2017, 04:57:23 AM »
I want the version of Home that only has the moaning  :tup

Wait a second, isn't there a whole industry dedicated to that stuff?  :justjen
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Evai

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »
Controversial opinion: SFAM would be better if they followed up the sex scene with a sexy, bendy screamy guitar solo, instead of an unsexy, nerdy keytar solo, which sounds slightly comedic in context
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
I don't hate Jordan's solo there, but you're probably right.  And this is coming from a keyboard player.  I know they try to give Jordan his moments and his solos, too, but in this context, it does seem like a weird choice, though I've never really thought about it before.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
I don't hate Jordan's solo there, but you're probably right.  And this is coming from a keyboard player.  I know they try to give Jordan his moments and his solos, too, but in this context, it does seem like a weird choice, though I've never really thought about it before.

Hmm.  Other than "And this is coming from a keyboard player" (because I'm not), I agree with every word of that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »
I've been working on a moan free version for about a week now. I think I finally got it to my liking. The whole build up is gone, so it goes right into the solo. I like Home just fine the way it is, although it's still awkward when on in the car, but this was just a fun project to see if I could. I think it turned out pretty good.

You could've just muted the right channel and made that section mono

Where's the challenge in that? Plus, when muting one channel and making the other into stereo, it sounds bad.

In regards to Jordan's solo:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
I think that's one of Jordan's best DT solos. He had so much melody and themes on his lead solos on the LTE-SFAM-SDOIT era, now, he pretty much just plays fast scale runs and arpeggios.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
I think that's one of Jordan's best DT solos. He had so much melody and themes on his lead solos on the LTE-SFAM-SDOIT era, now, he pretty much just plays fast scale runs and arpeggios.

Except that Astonishing has beautiful piano work from Jordan with very little wankery

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »

Except that Astonishing has beautiful piano work from Jordan with very little wankery

I was referring to his lead solos, I have no problem with the rest of his playing, he's my favorite DT keyboardist by far.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
I agree. Beginning with TOT he started playing a lot less melodically. There are still some really nice ones after that however, such as the Octavarium solo, AFTR and BTS (even though I don't care for the patch itself,) ending of Dystopian Overture, and probably 1 or 2 others I forgot. But if you really want melodic JR lead solos, his 2 full band solo albums Feeding the Wheel and Rhythm of Time are a must.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2017, 10:22:20 PM »
I agree. Beginning with TOT he started playing a lot less melodically. There are still some really nice ones after that however, such as the Octavarium solo, AFTR and BTS (even though I don't care for the patch itself,) ending of Dystopian Overture, and probably 1 or 2 others I forgot. But if you really want melodic JR lead solos, his 2 full band solo albums Feeding the Wheel and Rhythm of Time are a must.

Yeah, those are great solos and albums! I just wish he went for more melodic solos on DT albums, instead of just going through fast scales and lines. I also think his lead tone was much better on that era than now.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
For me, I like his recent lead tone just as much as his older Kurzweil ones, problem is he rarely does it justice because it's just runs. The lead sound he has now has potential to be really expressive but he just doesn't show it much. The intro of OTBOA or the end of Dystopian Overture show it in a clearer form. I like some of the grungy harmonics it has. I do miss his old smoother SFAM era lead though! Working on programming it on my own synth.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »
For me, I like his recent lead tone just as much as his older Kurzweil ones, problem is he rarely does it justice because it's just runs. The lead sound he has now has potential to be really expressive but he just doesn't show it much. The intro of OTBOA or the end of Dystopian Overture show it in a clearer form. I like some of the grungy harmonics it has. I do miss his old smoother SFAM era lead though! Working on programming it on my own synth.

I think he overdoes that harmonic thing sometimes, but the idea is really cool! His SFAM lead was  :hefdaddy

Offline pcs90

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2017, 11:18:23 PM »
I think he overdoes that harmonic thing sometimes, but the idea is really cool! His SFAM lead was  :hefdaddy
Agree with all of this.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2017, 04:10:33 PM »
In response to the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCztN84YlA

How was this done? Is there an instrumental of the song floating around without sound effects?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »
In response to the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCztN84YlA

How was this done? Is there an instrumental of the song floating around without sound effects?

I found someone on YouTube who had uploaded all the stems, so I opened the actual song mp3 in Audacity, then cut it off once the moaning section started (& replaced it with all the instrumental stems), then put the song mp3 back after it ended.  ;D
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Evai

« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2017, 03:05:45 AM »
'WHO WANTS TO CUM?!'

Nobody, apparantly :( Clean version it is

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »
If I wanted to hear a girl faking an orgasm I'd go have sex with one. Would love a lossless clean version. It would be great if the record company was forced at some point to provide one for distribution in some medieval Muslim majority country which censors all manner of art.

Controversial opinion: SFAM would be better if they followed up the sex scene with a sexy, bendy screamy guitar solo, instead of an unsexy, nerdy keytar solo, which sounds slightly comedic in context

Let's take that to the next level: DT would be better if they got rid of all unsexy, nerdy Rudess-style key solos.

Controversial addendum: And circus music.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2017, 02:59:39 AM »
I wonder how many stock moaning girl soundbites they went through before they found that one.

That being said, if it is indeed stock material, (which it probably is, since the screams in Finally Free were stock), then it's probably out there.

I wonder if the stock screams in Finally free is available in youtube or some website, the final scream at the very end sounds so generic that It has been used in different movies its more of female sound scream than the more common Wilhelm Scream!
And she listens openly

Offline Grizz

« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
The gasp is pretty stock too. I've heard it in commercials and South Park. (Interestingly, in the M2000 tour video, Edward gasps visually despite the sound effect being audibly female.)

I don't know why it is that there is no easy way for civilians to get to these clearly widely-available and royalty-free Wilhelm-type libraries.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2017, 01:13:33 AM »
Hey, I don't moan that loud do I?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2017, 10:58:46 AM »
The gasp is pretty stock too. I've heard it in commercials and South Park. (Interestingly, in the M2000 tour video, Edward gasps visually despite the sound effect being audibly female.)

I don't know why it is that there is no easy way for civilians to get to these clearly widely-available and royalty-free Wilhelm-type libraries.

I also heard it in a National Georgraphic documentary about Albert Einstein. The show is called Genius there is an episode where the Wife of a colleague of Einstein shot her self in the head and the people at the dinner made that female gasp from Finally free 
And she listens openly

Offline DT1138

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »
To the OP....get a sound editor and chop that section out.  I've been trimming and fine tuning songs for the car for years, and I don't even have kids.