Author Topic: Another Anniversary World Tour  (Read 2161 times)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Another Anniversary World Tour
« on: November 12, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »
Well, I&W is their milestone which must be honored with a world tour and they are doing it. Another album that deserves a world tour is SFAM, at least for me.

I can see they can play FII, ToT, Octavarium, SDOIT or even WDADU in its entirety for the selective cities to celebrate their anniversary but the possibility of doing a SFAM world tour is high.

Thoughts?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Another Anniversary World Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »
I think they consider that one tour that had a heavy focus on Awake and Scenes as the anniversary celebration for both. Breaking The Fourth Wall is probably the closest we'll get to that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »
Eh, I know they are getting up there in age, but I'd hate to see them turn into a nostalgia band by feeling the need to tour on the anniversary of an album every few years. They did all of SFAM every night on the Metropolis: 2000 tour; that was good enough.  :coolio

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »
WDADU = Been there, done that
Six Degrees = Too long
FII, TOT, Octavarium = Too divisive, not the entirety of the fanbase likes them

If at all, they'll do a 20 years anniversary of SFAM, but then again, that will be when they'll be touring for a new album so I don't think they want just like in 2014 to have a portion of the show dedicated to that album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »
No more anniversary sets!!!

I hope DT14 is so badass that people clamor for a DT14 centric setlist. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »
No more anniversary sets!!!

!!!!! Agreed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
No more Anniversary tours!!!!! We need a regular Dream Theater set tour. No Concept in full, no dedicated sets to an album. Just a regular whatever songs they choose to play tour.

We haven't gotten that since A Dramatic Tour of Events.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
How about the 0th anniversary tour for DT14?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
I would love an anniversary tour for Scenes from a Memory. For all of us who missed the boat the first time around. (Plus I'd also like a version sans MP vocals).  I don't want it to be at the expense of their new album, but I hope they do it somehow. I wouldn't even care if it wasn't on an anniversary. Tour the new album in 2019, break out Scenes for 2020. It can be the anniversary of the Metropolis 2000 tour.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
How about the 0th anniversary tour for DT14?

This! :lol

I would love to see the play SFAM in full again, but maybe as a one off show somewhere and not a full tour for that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »
IMO, I&W is the only album that warrants an anniversary tour.  Maybe a one off show for SFAM, but that's about it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 11:16:51 PM »
IMO, I&W is the only album that warrants an anniversary tour.  Maybe a one off show for SFAM, but that's about it.

A huge +1 on this

Offline Lethean

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:41:26 PM »
I think Scenes from a Memory absolutely warrants it.  Not because it's one of my personal favorites (which it is), but it's one of the most highly rated albums across the fan base and was really important for their career.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 04:02:42 AM »
I would love see them perform the whole SFAM with an Orchestra.
And she listens openly

Offline don_waka

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 01:31:12 PM »
How awesome it'd be if they played Falling into Infinity plus the  :hefdaddy b-sides

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
The problem is that every year is a 5 or 10 year anniversary of something.

0/5: The band’s formation, A Change of Seasons, Octavarium
1/6: A Dramatic Turn of Events, The Astonishing
2/7: Images and Words, Falling Into Infinity, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Systematic Chaos
3/8: Train of Thought, Dream Theater
4/9: When Dream and Day Unite, Awake, Scenes From a Memory, Black Clouds & Silver Linings

That leaves no time to tour for new material and I don’t think anyone here wants to see Dream Theater turn into the world’s greatest Dream Theater cover band.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
I don't know anything for certain, but if I had to make a prediction, it would be that they don't do anymore full-blown anniversary tours after this.  I might expect mini-sets for some important anniversaries, like what they did with Awake and SFAM on the AFTR tour.  But as far as full anniversary tours, it doesn't seem like that's a realistic thing to expect in the near future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »

. . .

That leaves no time to tour for new material and I don’t think anyone here wants to see Dream Theater turn into the world’s greatest Dream Theater cover band.

Exactly.  Aside from being at or near the top of just about everyone's list of favorite DT albums, it was the breakthrough album, so a 25th anniversary tour made sense (the 25th anniversary of just about anything generally being regarded as significant).  If you do an anniversary tour for any other album, it creates a slippery slope: "if you do the 20th anniversary tour for SFAM, why not a 20th anniversary tour for SDOIT" (especially for folks who think SDOIT is a better album).  I agree that a one-off show for SFAM with an orchestra (or without) would be good.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evai

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
DT with an orchestra never worked that well for me. Only if it was something like The Astonishing that was made specifically for it
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 10:30:22 PM »
DT with an orchestra never worked that well for me.

* Uses the SCORE cover as his avatar
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 01:06:16 AM »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

Offline Lethean

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 08:34:43 AM »

. . .

Exactly.  Aside from being at or near the top of just about everyone's list of favorite DT albums, it was the breakthrough album, so a 25th anniversary tour made sense (the 25th anniversary of just about anything generally being regarded as significant).  If you do an anniversary tour for any other album, it creates a slippery slope: "if you do the 20th anniversary tour for SFAM, why not a 20th anniversary tour for SDOIT" (especially for folks who think SDOIT is a better album).  I agree that a one-off show for SFAM with an orchestra (or without) would be good.

I don't want them to become a nostalgia band either - and I certainly don't think they need to do an anniversary tour for each album when it's 10th, 15th, 20th, etc anniversary comes up. I love Six Degrees and would personally be happy for them to play it in its entirety, but I think in terms of DT's career, Scenes is a huge milestone album and it would be more than appropriate for them to do a tour. Maybe for it's 25th instead of the 20th in 2019.

For some of the other albums, I'd love it if they did what Bosk mentioned with mini sets. 

On a side note - I definitely think it's time for some tracks from Six Degrees to make their way back into the setlists.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:30 AM »
I haven't even seen any of the Scenes songs live, but please, enough, no SFAM anniversary, just move on.

But I'm also not crazy about SFAM in the first place.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »
I don't want them to become a nostalgia band either - and I certainly don't think they need to do an anniversary tour for each album when it's 10th, 15th, 20th, etc anniversary comes up. I love Six Degrees and would personally be happy for them to play it in its entirety, but I think in terms of DT's career, Scenes is a huge milestone album and it would be more than appropriate for them to do a tour. Maybe for it's 25th instead of the 20th in 2019.

For some of the other albums, I'd love it if they did what Bosk mentioned with mini sets. 

On a side note - I definitely think it's time for some tracks from Six Degrees to make their way back into the setlists.

SFAM will be 25 years old in October 2024 (by the way, I love that you can just type in "sfam" in Wikipedia and it takes you to the page for the album -- same with "sdoit" or "6doit"), by which point the five band members will be 57 (JM and JP), 61 (JLB and MM), and 68 (JR).  I'm not saying I wouldn't go if they did it, but I just don't see it happening.

I do, however, think that they'll do what they did on the DT12 tour and play small chunks from SFAM and SDOIT if they're on the road when those albums come up for their 20th anniversaries.