Author Topic: The Investment Thread!  (Read 33530 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Investment Thread!
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
That sucks Stadler you had to eat into it a bit.  I think people often approach a point in life where they may need to eat into that savings and I hope no one has to do that, including myself.

One thing that makes the 401k a bit easier in that regard is that I essentially don't even see it.  I don't typically check on it and I try not to look too much into my pay stubs to find the numbers.  It's a mental game.  I know I have issues where I like to spend money, like that Petrucci example would really tempt me, but if I don't see it then its significantly easier for me to not touch it.  Granted I haven't reached a point where I needed that money, but if I continue to play the mental game of "it's not even there" then it's easier to just keep throwing money into it (I'm at 7% with my employer matching 4%) and saving it for later.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
When you no longer work for that company, be sure to roll the 401k to an IRA.

I've just merged every time I move to a new place. This is the third place I've worked while contributing to my 401K. I've used 3 different companies to manage the funds, but they are currently all in my Fidelity account.

I've considered moving my IRA funds into my current 401K - the compounding would likely be better and I'd see higher returns with a larger balance.

Then again, my IRA is invested conservatively and my current 401K is aggressive, so I'm never sure what would be better. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »
I put 10% of each paycheck into my 401k. Its nice because it gets taken out before taxes. I have about 3800 in it so far and made 18% last year. quarter 22% last quarter.I'm pretty much banking on that compounding till I retire in the event my lifegoes to shit.

I'm kind of glad I found this post here. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this to encourage others to start investing/saving young.

I'm 28 and just passed the $45,000 mark in my 401K. In the six years since that post, between my own contributions and employers matching, I've managed to put aside and gain more than $40K for retirement. That will only continue to compound as life goes on. Start saving now.

DO NOT TOUCH IT.

I don't know if you heard that, or not, but I'll say again, DO NOT TOUCH IT.

Margot Robbie comes to your house and says "me and three of my friends will be your sex slaves, all you have to do is take out $20k from your 401k", DO NOT TOUCH IT.

Bernie comes to you and says "I have a plan; your personal choice can be President tomorrow, I just need $30k from your 401k", DO NOT TOUCH IT.

John Petrucci says "Hey, the guys and I will play your backyard twice a year, your choice of setlist, for the rest of our active career; it'll only cost you $25k from your 401k, DO NOT TOUCH IT. 

I have no excuses, I have no one to blame but myself, but through a couple shaky years in a tough marriage and a shitty divorce, and I did touch it, and it's definitely my biggest - and perhaps only - regret in life. 

Stadler is definitely correct, but I'd probably still crumble in scenarios 1 and 3 :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
I think the best investments one could make in this climate would be canned food, MRE's and ammunition. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2017, 04:43:44 AM »
When you no longer work for that company, be sure to roll the 401k to an IRA.

I've just merged every time I move to a new place. This is the third place I've worked while contributing to my 401K. I've used 3 different companies to manage the funds, but they are currently all in my Fidelity account.

I've considered moving my IRA funds into my current 401K - the compounding would likely be better and I'd see higher returns with a larger balance.

Then again, my IRA is invested conservatively and my current 401K is aggressive, so I'm never sure what would be better.

IRAs have infinitely more investment choices, making it more likely to construct a portfolio that fits your needs and risk tolerance better.  Plus it will have less fees, both hidden and stated.  The 401k beats the IRA in the accumulation phase due to its matching feature, and in some cases its borrowing features.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
Bump!

For the first time in my short life I have a decent surplus in my bank account and I'm trying to figure out an investing strategy. I'm thinking of investing mainly in low-cost bond and stock index funds, both domestic and international, and letting them sit for the foreseeable future.

My only concerns are that my future job status is kind of unpredictable—I've been working freelance on a writing project that has allowed me to save a good amount, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do in a couple months when that project is complete—and I'd also like to save a solid amount for a downpayment on a house in the next 5 years ideally. Given that, I'm not sure how much of my money ought to be tied up in anything, much less index funds. I'm confident in those funds' ability to appreciate in 10+ years, but I'd hate to have to cash out after 3 years and take a loss.

Basically I'm not sure I've reached the point where it's worth letting inflation eat at my savings for the sake of predictability, but I'm feeling pretty torn about this. Any suggestions? Should I leave it in a money market account? Maybe wait for the next recession, by which point I will hopefully have a better idea of what my long-term job prospects are and I can be more confident in the mid-term upward trajectory of the market?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2019, 09:18:52 PM »
I'd normally say index funds are the way to go but if you think you'll be withdrawing soon (less than 5 years) I'd probably look for a safer instrument. A lot of signs point to recession, such as the inverted yield curve so my bet is index will enter a correction or maybe even recession.

The problem is there aren't that many safe instruments that will yield you substantial money unless you have a decent amount to put away.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »
Bump!

For the first time in my short life I have a decent surplus in my bank account and I'm trying to figure out an investing strategy. I'm thinking of investing mainly in low-cost bond and stock index funds, both domestic and international, and letting them sit for the foreseeable future.

My only concerns are that my future job status is kind of unpredictable—I've been working freelance on a writing project that has allowed me to save a good amount, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do in a couple months when that project is complete—and I'd also like to save a solid amount for a downpayment on a house in the next 5 years ideally. Given that, I'm not sure how much of my money ought to be tied up in anything, much less index funds. I'm confident in those funds' ability to appreciate in 10+ years, but I'd hate to have to cash out after 3 years and take a loss.

Basically I'm not sure I've reached the point where it's worth letting inflation eat at my savings for the sake of predictability, but I'm feeling pretty torn about this. Any suggestions? Should I leave it in a money market account? Maybe wait for the next recession, by which point I will hopefully have a better idea of what my long-term job prospects are and I can be more confident in the mid-term upward trajectory of the market?

I've moved all of my non-401K investments into marijuana cultivation facilities and startups. That industry has barely had a chance to stretch its legs yet. I've done very well on a number of them, and none have tanked on my yet.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2019, 06:13:41 AM »
If you potentially need the money in 5-ish year, you're best off just finding a high-yield online savings account and parking it there. You can get up to 2.5% on those right now which will at least come close to offsetting inflation. If you're going to invest in index funds, you should really be saving for retirement or at least 10+ years out, given the likelihood of a recession within the next few years. VTSAX is a good one to just park everything in if you decide to go that route.

As happy I am for Chino that his investments are doing well, I would not recommend investing in individual stocks/companies or in a single industry with this type of money unless you really know what you're doing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:36:31 AM by lordxizor »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2019, 07:34:16 AM »
Agreed with lordxizor, unless you're completely comfortable with the risk of your investment going to zero then I would avoid trying to pick individual stocks. If this is money that you'd like to make work for you now but will ultimately be looking to use as down payment for a house a few years down the road then I'd probably stick with a savings account.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2019, 07:46:46 AM »

I've moved all of my non-401K investments into marijuana cultivation facilities and startups. That industry has barely had a chance to stretch its legs yet. I've done very well on a number of them, and none have tanked on my yet.

I say this with amazement and wonder (and support), not snark and sarcasm, but if you asked the 20 year old Stadler, sitting in his neighbor Brett's dorm room listening to that inane racket (the Grateful Dead, who I wasn't into AT ALL at the time) trying to blow smoke into Madeline's mouth and with my addled brain trying desperately to figure a way to kiss her without it being awkward* that not 30 years hence we would be investing in the product that on that day Brett apparently scraped off the wheel well of his car, I would have thought you were playing. 

* I did figure a way, but torpedo'd all my efforts spectacularly later in the evening.  No, not a #MeToo moment, but in some ways, worse.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2019, 08:01:48 AM »
Well my marijuana investment has gone sideways of late  :lol

But while everyone seems to say don't buy a stock with that money, part of me says buy Amazon with that money

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2019, 08:12:27 AM »
There's been an industry-wide cool down since March/April. I think the market was really anticipating both NY and NJ legalizing. Once both of those fell through, things cooled off. I'm still confident and honestly don't see how the marijuana industry doesn't become the next boom.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »
There's been an industry-wide cool down since March/April. I think the market was really anticipating both NY and NJ legalizing. Once both of those fell through, things cooled off. I'm still confident and honestly don't see how the marijuana industry doesn't become the next boom.

I'm still holding for that reason, I think there's still potential.  And maybe since shit is down in the industry its not a bad time to buy in, but what do I know.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2019, 08:28:58 AM »

I'm still holding for that reason, I think there's still potential.  And maybe since shit is down in the industry its not a bad time to buy in, but what do I know.

I try and buy $100-$200 worth of shares per month. It's not a ton of money, but I've been doing it for about 18 months now and have a nice nest egg going, especially with a lot of the gains I made in 2018 (all of which were used to buy in the recent dips).

These are all the ones I have my eye on. I don't currently hold all of these, but have at one point in the last year. 
- TGIFF
- OAI
- SVVTF
- ITHUF
- ACB
- MEDIF
- PLPRF

TGIFF is the one I'm really banking on. They have a ton of potential and just turned the lights on in a monster facility they just built. In two months time once the new numbers start rolling in, I'm anticipating a good pop.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2019, 06:34:25 AM »
Everybody having fun watching their investments go all over the place the last couple weeks?

I'm not an active trader, just investing in index funds to reach financial independence in hopefully 15-20 years, so for me I just watch without changing my strategy at all. It is kind of fun now that I have a decent chunk invested that my investments can lose more value in a day (like yesterday) than I bring home in a month.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:20:07 AM by lordxizor »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2019, 10:29:19 AM »
Yeah, I really like how the market took a gigantic dump yesterday.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »
Everybody having fun watching their investments go all over the place the last couple weeks?

I'm not an active trader, just investing in index funds to reach financial independence in hopefully 15-20 years, so for me I just watch without changing my strategy at all. It is kind of fun now that I have a decent chunk invested that my investments can lose more value in a day (like yesterday) than I bring home in a month.

Ahhh... just how it is.  Yesterday was the first time since 2007 (not a good year) that the most watched portion of the yield curve (2-yr and 10-yr Treasuries) inverted; this type of action, in this particular comparison of the yield curve, has preceded the last six or seven "recession" periods so investors (a fickle bunch for certain as I can attest to) kind of punted out of short-term.  It was a very brief inversion, but this move coupled with poor economic numbers from China and Europe (Germany I think?), along with the trade war rumor mill kind of drove investors into safe havens (bonds) for fear of volatility in short-term investments (I think the VIX spiked yesterday too, I'd be surprised if it didn't). 

Couple all of the above with the fact that another portion of the yield curve has been inverted since early Spring (3-month/10-Year since mid to late March I think) and that the trade war keeps whipsawing between good and bad news and you get yesterdays action.  It's better today as there are reassuring voices from all over the place (including Yellen's statement) and strong retail numbers so the market's kind of stabilized for today anyway.  It's just the financial world we're in right now... Bulls, Bears, and people from Conn.   :biggrin:

I'm torn though... as the bond market pushes interest rates down, my business picks up.

Trading Crypto a bit more now, I've honestly become used to volatility... if you can time the swings in Crypto in the right way, you can make serious money (in my experience, crypto trades on technicals and the guys I follow have yet to be wrong in a significant way).
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »

Tell my about it I was up almost 30% this year trading and not I'm a little under 21%, I'm going to take a break from the market for a while. I keep getting whipsawed in my positions.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2020, 09:03:54 AM »
So I don't know much about this stuff, but aren't we coming up quickly on a good opportunity to invest in index funds?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »
So I don't know much about this stuff, but aren't we coming up quickly on a good opportunity to invest in index funds?

We're coming up on a good opportunity to buy into just about anything. If you bought today, you'd be guaranteed to make a pretty penny if you were willing to sit on it a few years.

I'm looking into companies that are in the supply chain for bidets.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:20:02 AM by Chino »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
I'm sitting on a decent pile of cash at the moment (well... I always am really) as an emergency fund. Tempted to take half of it and throw it in the market when it appears to bottom out. Now, how to predict when that will be....

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »

We're coming up on a good opportunity to buy into just about anything. If you bought today, you'd be guaranteed to make a pretty penny if you were willing to sit on it a few years.

I'm looking into companies that are in the supply chain for bidets.

Not only buy but If you are more risk tolerant then you can get some puts on s&p during the drops. I'm close to clearing 12k from the past 3 weeks.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2020, 08:19:53 AM »
Curious for those of you that are more dollar cost averaging type of investors (investing $ on a regularly timed schedule), how are you choosing when to put your money in the market? Obviously my 401k through work is based on when I get paid and I have no control over that. I also put money into my and my wife's Roth IRAs monthly as well. I'm debating if it makes sent to change the frequency (say twice a month, same amount of $). I'm basically just waiting for a down day of 1% or greater in the market to throw the money in. Not sure if there's a better strategy right now given how volatile and back and forth everything is.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2020, 01:35:32 PM »
Curious for those of you that are more dollar cost averaging type of investors (investing $ on a regularly timed schedule), how are you choosing when to put your money in the market? Obviously my 401k through work is based on when I get paid and I have no control over that. I also put money into my and my wife's Roth IRAs monthly as well. I'm debating if it makes sent to change the frequency (say twice a month, same amount of $). I'm basically just waiting for a down day of 1% or greater in the market to throw the money in. Not sure if there's a better strategy right now given how volatile and back and forth everything is.

I usually invest during 1% or greater dips. The key is to do it constantly (this is why dollar cost averaging works better). The psychological aspect of waiting until it dips and then investing, is the big hurdle vs DCA. So if you keep doing the "DCA" during dips, you should be fine. That's what I've been doing. Although, I'm using Betterment and not individual stocks. I just opened a M1 Finance account so I'll start doing that with M1..or maybe just do dividend investing through M1 with individual stocks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
Thinking about trying to do some stock trading for the very first time.

Any recommendations of sites to use?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
I trade with TD Ameritrade for my stocks and options, and Oanda for FX. I like it however the ThinkOrSwim desktop platform is garbage but the web platform is pretty robust for 90% of things you want to do. The trading is commission free and options are dirt cheap, .65 cents a contract. Robin Hood is a popular platform but id say stay away, they have to best mobile platform around but in high volitatily markets they've had some issues with platform stability and uptimes which can prevent order fulfillment.

Are you planning on day trading? If so there a few other things to consider.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2020, 05:40:59 PM »
Thanks. I think I would be day trading, but I'm not even really sure what that is entirely to be honest.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2020, 05:51:57 PM »
Well it can mean lot of things lol but typically that would be trading options/stocks in a short period of time, holding for less than a day; for example buying apple stock at the start of the day presuming the price will go up and selling at the end of the day for a profit. If you're interested in trading options (I'm making this assumption simply because day trading stocks for profit usually requires a big bankroll coupled with plenty of margin) go with TD. The biggest reason is that if you trade with a cash only account you will not be subject to day trader rules like you would be with Robin hood. The reason robin hood accounts have this limitation is because they offer instant deposit which will make your account a margin account which then falls under the pattern day trader rule.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2020, 06:09:55 PM »
Cool. I will look into those. Thanks

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2020, 06:28:01 AM »
Do lots of research before you even start. Most people who try to start frequent trades lose money. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2020, 07:08:04 AM »
Woooo boy I can attest to that. It took some time before I started getting a steady income from it, I even at one point tried to go full-time trading but failed because of the pressure to make consistent income.

My biggest advice I have is never, ever pay for any type of trading service/indicator/signal service. If someone has a consistent way of making money in the market they wouldn't need to sell their tips and advice.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2020, 08:25:46 AM »
Do you guys have other sources of passive income?

I am also thinking about getting into rental property and am at the beginning stages of researching that.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
I've done that too :lol, well kind of. I had a four plex I rented for a while when I ran the hotel. It was a good investment but finding quality renters was hard. After a few evictions I ended up doing long term seasonal rentals

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
Yeah, I could imagine finding good tenants will be a challenge. I'm willing to give it a shot though and will probably use a property manager.

I've just gotten to the point where although my job makes more than enough money for me to be good financially, but there are some mental people there that want to run to HR if a stiff breeze goes by and report anything and everything, so I need to start getting other streams of income in place.