Author Topic: The Investment Thread!  (Read 33504 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: The Investment Thread!
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »
I've been reading a lot on the Boglehead's forum.  Lots of great information, even if I don't understand a lot of it.  I figure its a great way to turn "unknown-unknowns" into "known-unknowns", and I've learned a lot in the past few months.  These guys are big Vanguard fans, but they aren't evangelists about it; it's more about an investment philosophy that can work with any plan: avoiding high cost, actively managed funds, generally sticking with low-cost index funds, and not trying to time the market.

I've just rolled my old company's Fidelity 401k into an IRA with them (about 2 years after leaving), and have consolidated to about 4 or 5 funds, where before I had my money in all 13 of the funds offered.  I noticed a lot of those other funds had higher expense ratios.  Didn't even know what an expense ratio was before a few months ago.  I was just vaguely aware that there were some expenses that my account accrued.

Contribute as much as you can stand.  Its more important early on that you invest than what you invest in.  You can continue to educate yourself to understand what to invest in.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
Proper asset allocation is more important than fund expenses.  In that, I mean this:
If you are choosing your funds from a low cost fund group like Vanguard, that is fine.  But you shouldn't be choosing the specific funds within Vanguard with expenses as the main, or even close to, the main reason.
Proper asset allocation will drive returns more than any other factor.  The problem is that *true* proper asset allocation (and re-balancing for that matter) is difficult, if not impossible, for the average person.  Asset allocation is most certainly not just doing something like 60/40 stock and bonds...it is WAY more copmplicated.  Youi need exposure to most all asset classes, in proportions that fit your needs/time horizon/risk tolerance, but they must fit together properly.  You need to analyze the funds together to make sure they are on the efficient frontier, they have little overlap in their holdings, etc, etc.
A study was done that showed 91.5% of a portfolios long term performance was due to asset allocation, with 8.5% due to market timing, fees, and other factors.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm getting a headache looking at all the options I have available.  I can adjust percentages to each of these, and I have NO IDEA where to start.

Aggressive Allocation               
Pax World Balanced Fund   

Foreign Large Blend               
American Funds EuroPacific Growth A   

Foreign Small/Mid Growth               
Columbia Acorn International Z   

Intermediate-Term Bond               
Westcore Plus Bond Fund   
PIMCO Total Return Admin

Investment Product
Managed Allocation - Aggressive Model                
Managed Allocation - Balanced Model                   
Managed Allocation - Conservative Model               
Managed Allocation - Growth Model                   
Managed Allocation - Moderate Model    

Large Blend               
Parnassus Income Trust- Equity Income Fd   
Fidelity Spartan 500 Index Fund   

Large Growth               
T. Rowe Price New America Gr   

Large Value               
BlackRock Equity Dividend   

Mid-Cap Blend               
Fidelity Low-Price Stock   

Mid-Cap Growth               
Prudential Jennison Mid Cap Growth Z   

Mid-Cap Value               
Goldman Sachs Mid Cap Value Fund   

Multisector Bond               
Loomis Sayles Bond Fund   

Small Blend               
RS Partners   

Small Growth               
Wasatch Small Cap Growth Fund

Small Value               
Allianz NFJ Small Cap Value   

Stable Value               
WTRFSC CIT III FOR METLIFE GROUP

World Stock               
Oppenheimer Global Fund               

Within the managed allocation, they put varying percentages into the following funds:

PIMCO Commodity Real Return Fund
American Funds EuroPacific Growth A
Columbia Acorn International Z
Prudential Global Real Estate Fund
Westcore Plus Bond Fund
PIMCO Total Return Admin
Parnassus Income Trust- Equity Income Fd
T. Rowe Price New America Gr
BlackRock Equity Dividend
Prudential Jennison Mid Cap Growth Z
Goldman Sachs Mid Cap Value Fund
Absolute Strategies Institutional Shares
Loomis Sayles Bond Fund
Wasatch Small Cap Growth Fund
Allianz NFJ Small Cap Value

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
I'm always at a loss when it comes to which funds to choose as well. Like was said before, it's better to invest in anything than nothing at all. Index funds are usually a good bet as they have extremely low fees. The managed allocation funds can be a good things as well if you want to stay hands off (at least for now) and let the experts decide. Whatever you do, I'd go light on the bonds and be more agressive since you're young.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »
Yeah, I had set it at the managed plans to start.  60% Aggressive and 40% Growth.  I can always change it later.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
I'm always at a loss when it comes to which funds to choose as well.
I feel the same way, which is why i try to keep it simple.
My IRA breakdown is:

33% - S&P 500 Index fund
17% - International index fund
32% - US bond fund
13% - GNMA fund (Ginnie Mae securities. Don't really know much about these.)
5% -  Mid cap fund (midsize companies)

The last 2 are from the 401k rollover, and I'll probably dump them into the index funds.

Looking at this breakdown, I think I may be too heavily in bonds.  Im still playing around as I learn, but the ultimate idea is not to mess with it once I get an appropriate allocation.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »
I'm always at a loss when it comes to which funds to choose as well.
I feel the same way, which is why i try to keep it simple.
My IRA breakdown is:

33% - S&P 500 Index fund
17% - International index fund
32% - US bond fund
13% - GNMA fund (Ginnie Mae securities. Don't really know much about these.)
5% -  Mid cap fund (midsize companies)

The last 2 are from the 401k rollover, and I'll probably dump them into the index funds.

Looking at this breakdown, I think I may be too heavily in bonds.  Im still playing around as I learn, but the ultimate idea is not to mess with it once I get an appropriate allocation.
That's way too much in bonds for my taste. I think I've got maybe 10%.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 11:17:43 AM »
Lordixor:  A little heavier in bonds for the next few years wont hurt you, and will cushion any pull back from the recent equity success.

Jasc15:  Remember, once you get your allocation to where you want it, you do need to rebalance to keep that allocation.  Most places will let you set up auto-rebalancing.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
I am investing in money markets that will make me a millionaire by the time I am 50.  I get to entire early. =D.  I am putting around $3000 in different money markets, and adding in around 10 - 15 dollars a week.  basically just watching my money grow.

:lol   

To be clear, I am only laughing because I think this is incredibly naive.  You don't just become a millionaire by the time you're 50 because you tossed $10 or $15 a week into money markets.  Anyone who thinks that is probably deluding themselves and any investment expert who tells you that is probably a criminal.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:27:34 PM by kirksnosehair »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
As someone who works in the Investment Industry for the past 25+ years I can tell you one thing about investing DON'T ..unless you can consider it disposable income..Only people who should be investing are those with excess cash to do so...The downside to investing for the average person heavily outweights any possible future gains

Wisdom

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »
As someone who works in the Investment Industry for the past 25+ years I can tell you one thing about investing DON'T ..unless you can consider it disposable income..Only people who should be investing are those with excess cash to do so...The downside to investing for the average person heavily outweights any possible future gains
Wisdom

So, the average person should do what, exactly, to plan for retirement?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:32:41 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »
I have a 401k that I've been contributing to for 12 years at a pretty good clip.  My average return over those 12 years has been around 14% - I'm a lot older than most of you and can't afford to be too risky with my investments.  In 2007 I saw the housing bubble coming and moved all of my stuff that was anywhere near "aggressive" into low-interest, "safe" funds.  While many people here at work lost 10's of thousands (even 100's of thousands in few cases) I lost $0.00

I don't know shit about stocks, bonds, mutual funds or any of this other stuff, so I pay someone to manage it for me.  WELL worth it.  Dude saved my ass when the market collapsed. 

I highly advise anyone who is considering investing, if you don't know what you're doing, hire someone who does.  Yes, you're going to pay a fee, but I've seen people lose their ass because they just didn't have any clue what they were doing and thought if you invest you make money.  It's not that simple.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »

So, the average person should do what, exactly, to plan for retirement?

Wisdom

Talk to an expert in retirement planning, like I did.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 12:41:26 PM »
Whoa... weird quoting. My bad.

Kirk, I agree with you, but the person who has no disposable income to invest likely isn't going to have money to pay for a finanical advisor. Or the desire to do so.

I am cautiously optimistic about my wife and I and our planning, but am terrified at what my generation (I am 35) will do when it comes time to retire. So many people I know have done nothing.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »

Wisdom

That post holds zero wisdom. 

The only exception is if the poster is talking specifically about high-risk/speculative/short-time-horizon investing.  But considering the context of the thread, I cant see that being the case.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:57:37 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
That's what I assumed he's referring to eric - high risk stuff.

Meanwhile, I saw this and kind of agree with some of it:
https://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/opinion/walker-retirement/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
Whoa... weird quoting. My bad.

Kirk, I agree with you, but the person who has no disposable income to invest likely isn't going to have money to pay for a finanical advisor. Or the desire to do so.

I am cautiously optimistic about my wife and I and our planning, but am terrified at what my generation (I am 35) will do when it comes time to retire. So many people I know have done nothing.

Well, most 401(k) plans have a "managed" option which is fairly affordable.  That's what I use.  The fees come out of your funds.  Considering the fact that I don't have the time or knowledge (nor time to acquire the knowledge) of how to properly manage my accounts, given what they charge to do it, I think it's a pretty decent value.

I have a ING plan which provides a service called "Morningstar Retirement Manager" at a very reasonable fee.

They've done a very good job with my account.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »
I'm more terrified at what my parent's generation will do when it comes to retirement. I recall reading something about a very large percent having less than $100k saved. Hopefully our generation will see our parent's issues or the fact that they need to work until they're into their 70s and get serious about saving for retirement. But given our society of instant gratification, I would not be surprised if many 30-somethings reach 50 with very little saved. I personally have decided to buckle down and put at least 12% going forward. I've been doing 9% for the last 6 years (I'm 30). Plus my wife will go back to work at some point when the kids are older and we'll put a big chunk of her income away while continuing to live on just mine.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »
Hopefully our generation will see our parent's issues or the fact that they need to work until they're into their 70s and get serious about saving for retirement.
This is probably my main motivation.  I've always contributed to my 401k, but I've become especially concerned lately.  My parents definitely do not have enough saved to retire, and I have no idea what they will do.  I've just bumped my contribution to the max, $17k/year, and I'm thinking of contributing to an IRA in addition.

I just watched an episode of Frontline about the shift from pensions to 401k plans.  It's a bit dire, and shows people who had the same attitude toward their 401k as they did toward a pension, meaning they assumed they would magically have enough saved by retirement, without regard to how much they would need.  To me, that's just ignorance.  Companies have mostly shirked the responsibility of providing for their employees retirement (pensions), and it requires the employee to educate themself, which they indicate is a large part of the problem.  You don't need to be a professional money manager (as is implied in the documentary) and spend huge amounts of your time managing your retirement account, you just need some fundamentals.  On the other hand I feel like I am in the minority, having spent the last few months learning as much as I can about those fundamentals.

Jasc15:  Remember, once you get your allocation to where you want it, you do need to rebalance to keep that allocation.  Most places will let you set up auto-rebalancing.
Right, but I havent got it to the initial allocation I want yet.  Once at that point, I will have to do yearly rebalancing.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 07:09:07 AM »
I would do quarterly at a minimum.

And very good post.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 08:00:54 AM »
I'd recommend everyone read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street", a great read that essentially argues for the Efficient Market Hypothesis. When I start contributing into a 401K in the near future, it's all going into low cost index funds and I'll spend my time worrying about allocations.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 08:37:44 AM »
As much as I've been enthusiastic about saving for retirement, I wonder if I should put more into taxable investments that dont require me to wait until 59 1/2 years old to access.  I can contribute to a taxable account at the same rate as a 401k, and once I reach an amount roughly equal to 30 or 40 times my annual expenses*, I could theoretically retire on dividends without having to sell any stocks/funds.  However, at this point I will be somewhere in my 50's anyway, which doesnt buy me much time.  Just an idea.

* For example, if your annual expenses are $25k/year, with dividends returning 2.5% (.025) annually, you would need $25,000/.025 = $1,000,000
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:48:54 AM by jasc15 »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »
I'm sure you are, but make sure you're including inflation when you figure out what you'll need to live on in retirement. $25k today would be more like $80k assuming 3% inflation a year over 40 years (assuming I did my math right).

Offline jasc15

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Yea, you are right.  25k today would have to be $80k in 40 years.  I'm just illustrating a concept, which is simple in principle, but would obviously need much more consideration if it were actually implemented.  I hadn't even thought of this idea until I read about recently, and it's been bugging me.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »

NEVER dismiss the tax-deferred, or tax-free accounts in favor of taxable.  The power of deferring, or eliminating, taxes over the long haul is extremely powerful.  If you feel that you may need to use funds for retirement before 59-1/2, you should figure out how soon before 59-1/2.  Then you will be able to determine how much of your retirement savings should go into taxable investments that you can draw down before using tax-deferred/tax-free accounts once you hit 60.

You also need to take into account other factors.  One being that you are thinking about dividends on a stock portfolio....dividends arent guaranteed....so partially transitioning to a fixed income portfolio could be advised.  Also remember that inflation doesn't stop when you retire, so your portfolios income would need to increase by 3% a year in retirement.
Another issue is it has been shown that expenses actually will increase markedly in the first few years of retirement as you enjoy trips, etc.  To over simplify it to retiring with dividends equalling a salary can be problematic.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2017, 09:56:09 AM »
I was looking at putting some money into a CD. It would be locked up for a year with a return of 0.18%

Anyone have experience with CD's. Are there any downsides besides just not being able to touch the money for x amount of time?

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
I don't have any money in CD's but from what I understand it's a really safe investment, the issue is low ROI.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
I would never lock money up for a year for such a low return.  You can get over 1% in liquid online bank money markets.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline jasc15

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2017, 06:34:09 AM »
I put my house down payment cash in CDs.  I can't risk a market crash just as I need to use this money, and it's marginally better than a regular savings account.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2017, 07:19:37 AM »
CIT bank has online savings at 1.3%, Capital One 360 is .75%. Don't lock your money up in a cd at lower interest than that. These are regular, FDIC insured savings accounts you can withdraw your money from anytime.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2017, 07:47:20 AM »
I put 10% of each paycheck into my 401k. Its nice because it gets taken out before taxes. I have about 3800 in it so far and made 18% last year. quarter 22% last quarter.I'm pretty much banking on that compounding till I retire in the event my lifegoes to shit.

I'm kind of glad I found this post here. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this to encourage others to start investing/saving young.

I'm 28 and just passed the $45,000 mark in my 401K. In the six years since that post, between my own contributions and employers matching, I've managed to put aside and gain more than $40K for retirement. That will only continue to compound as life goes on. Start saving now.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
I put 10% of each paycheck into my 401k. Its nice because it gets taken out before taxes. I have about 3800 in it so far and made 18% last year. quarter 22% last quarter.I'm pretty much banking on that compounding till I retire in the event my lifegoes to shit.

I'm kind of glad I found this post here. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this to encourage others to start investing/saving young.

I'm 28 and just passed the $45,000 mark in my 401K. In the six years since that post, between my own contributions and employers matching, I've managed to put aside and gain more than $40K for retirement. That will only continue to compound as life goes on. Start saving now.

most definitely, and if at all possible contribute the max to your 401K.   My wife and I hooked up with Edward Jones about 10 years ago (we are now in our 40's) and I wish we had done it years earlier.   
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »

DO NOT TOUCH IT.

I don't know if you heard that, or not, but I'll say again, DO NOT TOUCH IT.

Margot Robbie comes to your house and says "me and three of my friends will be your sex slaves, all you have to do is take out $20k from your 401k", DO NOT TOUCH IT.

Bernie comes to you and says "I have a plan; your personal choice can be President tomorrow, I just need $30k from your 401k", DO NOT TOUCH IT.

John Petrucci says "Hey, the guys and I will play your backyard twice a year, your choice of setlist, for the rest of our active career; it'll only cost you $25k from your 401k, DO NOT TOUCH IT. 

I have no excuses, I have no one to blame but myself, but through a couple shaky years in a tough marriage and a shitty divorce, and I did touch it, and it's definitely my biggest - and perhaps only - regret in life. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »
When you no longer work for that company, be sure to roll the 401k to an IRA.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2017, 01:39:07 PM »
When you no longer work for that company, be sure to roll the 401k to an IRA.

I've just merged every time I move to a new place. This is the third place I've worked while contributing to my 401K. I've used 3 different companies to manage the funds, but they are currently all in my Fidelity account.