Author Topic: The Investment Thread!  (Read 33500 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Investment Thread!
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
So who here is an active investor here in DTF? Post what you invest with, stocks, bonds, CD's.

I'm 22, and I started seriously trading stocks this past February. As of now I'm currently holding stock in:

CTIC - Cell Therapeutics - so far this stock has returned $3275 on a $500 investment, I've been holding it since February and it's my strongest performer, although I am looking to pull money out of it soon.

AMD - This stock was stagnant for a long time, I also purchased in Feb and now I have a 60% gain on my initial investment of $500, right now it's at $813

While I started trading stocks I quickly moved to currency investing, it's fast and I finally started become profitable this past month, it's hard work but there is no greater feeling then watching your account go up in real time.

Up next I'm shopping for CD's, I want to save a little more money before I invest but CD's are a great safe long term investmetn.

So DTF, what are you invested in?

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Re: The Investment Thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »
I am investing in money markets that will make me a millionaire by the time I am 50.  I get to entire early. =D.  I am putting around $3000 in different money markets, and adding in around 10 - 15 dollars a week.  basically just watching my money grow.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
I've never understood how stocks etc. work so I've never bothered.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »
So who here is an active investor here in DTF? Post what you invest with, stocks, bonds, CD's.

I'm 22, and I started seriously trading stocks this past February. As of now I'm currently holding stock in:

CTIC - Cell Therapeutics - so far this stock has returned $3275 on a $500 investment, I've been holding it since February and it's my strongest performer, although I am looking to pull money out of it soon.

AMD - This stock was stagnant for a long time, I also purchased in Feb and now I have a 60% gain on my initial investment of $500, right now it's at $813

While I started trading stocks I quickly moved to currency investing, it's fast and I finally started become profitable this past month, it's hard work but there is no greater feeling then watching your account go up in real time.

Up next I'm shopping for CD's, I want to save a little more money before I invest but CD's are a great safe long term investmetn.

oh and congratulations on your good luck.  
P.s. dont get cd's. they don't do too much for ya.

EDIT: If you are really serious about this.  Get Dave Ramsey's cd's or watch his TV show.  The man knows what he is talking about
www.bedeceived.com

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »

EDIT: If you are really serious about this.  Get Dave Ramsey's cd's or watch his TV show.  The man knows what he is talking about

Yeah I know, I'm looking at money market as well. I'm slowly going to move out of the stocks because really it's not my thing, I do risky trading through my currency speculation and I'm going to go a safer route with a money market or a cd.

I've never understood how stocks etc. work so I've never bothered.

www.investopedia.com

or if you want to try your hand at currency trading

www.babypips.com go to the school.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »

Yeah I know, I'm looking at money market as well. I'm slowly going to move out of the stocks because really it's not my thing, I do risky trading through my currency speculation and I'm going to go a safer route with a money market or a cd.

cool. yeah, I think money market is the best thing out of all the others.  here is a dave ramsey quote on cd's

"Certificate of deposit.
The greatest interest returns are on CDs that mature in a year or longer. For instance, AmTrust Direct (888-228-8146) was recently promising an annual percentage yield (APY) of 5.71 on a one-year CD ($1,000 minimum). The obvious drawback: You can’t touch your money before the CD matures without being hit with a penalty that will clip much of your earnings. Best for: Those who know they won’t need their money before the CD matures."

www.bedeceived.com

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »
I suggest putting 30% in metals or commodities. That's what I plan to do when I start trading, even if I don't have any plans to do it professionally.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing commodities for my retirement, that will be next year's goal, right now I have a lot on my financial plate and I have school as well.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »
In addition to my 401(k) and my IRA, I currently have about $2000 invested in stocks, none of which are doing particularly well; and about $5000 in mutual funds, which are doing much better. I don't know what they are offhand without looking. But I know the majority of them are in large cap and/or international stocks, some metals, emerging markets, etc.. Better options for someone younger planning for the long term.

I would advise anyone who doesn't have any investments to consider getting involved to at least a small extent. It's not like something you have to sink thousands and thousands of dollars in, or spend a lot of time monitoring or worrying about or even researching. Just make sure you keep some cash handy in case anything urgent comes up so you can leave your investments more long-term and not have to worry about dipping in to them to cover bills, expenses, etc...

I've been meaning to explore currency trading but know that requires a little more knowledge and understanding that I haven't been able to commit to yet.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:48:25 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »
I personally don't buy individual companies' stocks. Way too volatile for my tastes. I have a good amount of money in two separate Fidelity funds, one of them a municipal fund.
And then some money in plain cash on the bank. Even though, I've been thinking about putting that to use too.

One thing I'm thinking about is to have some of the money in a German bank, for the sake of diversifying. Keep your eggs in as many baskets as possible.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
Can someone explain how Margin interest works? Beginning to think i shouldn't use margin anymore if the fees are to high.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:11:33 AM »

Dave Ramsey does know what he's talking about.  He's not a fan of holding single stocks because of the risk (like Rumby said).  The book "The Total Money Makeover" would be my recommendation.  It's less about investing (though he does talk about it) and more about money management and behavior.

As for me, I have nothing invested atm.  That's going to change soon and I'll be putting money into a 401k.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »

Dave Ramsey does know what he's talking about.  He's not a fan of holding single stocks because of the risk (like Rumby said).  The book "The Total Money Makeover" would be my recommendation.  It's less about investing (though he does talk about it) and more about money management and behavior.

As for me, I have nothing invested atm.  That's going to change soon and I'll be putting money into a 401k.

What about Just putting a stop order to protect yourself?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »
You could, but the risk is still there.  One bad earnings report and the stock slides.  The next day a merger might send it up.  It's better to just put the money into mutual funds and the extreme ups and downs are smoothed out.  Not saying that they won't lose value, but that's the nature of the stock market.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
As someone who works in the Investment Industry for the past 25+ years I can tell you one thing about investing DON'T ..unless you can consider it disposable income..Only people who should be investing are those with excess cash to do so...The downside to investing for the average person heavily outweights any possible future gains

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »
As someone who works in the Investment Industry for the past 25+ years I can tell you one thing about investing DON'T ..unless you can consider it disposable income..Only people who should be investing are those with excess cash to do so...The downside to investing for the average person heavily outweights any possible future gains
I assume you are referring to investing in idividual stocks. Investing in funds through a 401k or IRA is not terribly difficult, especially with the retirement age targeted funds that most places offer these days.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 01:32:19 PM »
I put 10% of each paycheck into my 401k. Its nice because it gets taken out before taxes. I have about 3800 in it so far and made 18% last year. quarter 22% last quarter.I'm pretty much banking on that compounding till I retire in the event my lifegoes to shit.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
I assume you are referring to investing in idividual stocks. Investing in funds through a 401k or IRA is not terribly difficult, especially with the retirement age targeted funds that most places offer these days.

Yes

Individual stocks/ETFs/Currencies

Even Mutual Funds took a huge hit in 2008 when the housing Industry collapsed (always read the prospectus about any Fund ..some limit the number of investment re-allocations you can do within certain timeframes)
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »

Yes

Individual stocks/ETFs/Currencies

Even Mutual Funds took a huge hit in 2008 when the housing Industry collapsed (always read the prospectus about any Fund ..some limit the number of investment re-allocations you can do within certain timeframes)

It's not all bad, but individual (retail) investing takes a lot of work, I know, I trade currencies full time for a living.

Damn, a lot has changed since I started this thread.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »
My dad started investing in the stock market when he was 34. He's plaid it slow for the most part and goes high risk whenever he sees fit. In 25 years he has gotten his total investments to about 400,000 dollars. I think if you play it smart and do it for the long term,  it can be worth it. He always said his biggest regret was not starting 10 years sooner. That's why I have started Already

_

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 06:01:44 AM »
The more you invest early in your life, the more time you have to compound your gains. I wish I had put in more when I first started, but I've been putting into my 401k since I was 24 and am sitting OK. I really need to bump up my contribution amount though. Life's regular expenses just keep getting in the way.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »
I started myself in 2008. Bought gold stocks from some local mining companies. Quadrupled my portfolio. Feels good man!

I sold my shares and invested in a bigger company. Thinks are shaky at the moment but it's normal. One thing for sure is to have the gut to do this. At first I looked daily at the performance. That's not recommendable for low risk stocks. I let them grow and grow without touching them (sometimes the stocks dropped massively but that was just the market reorganizing itself; you need to know where you are investing). There are ways to safely invest and still get great dividends without the need of speculating.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 02:23:01 AM »
I guess this the official stock thread basically so i'll post here. What do you guys think about this?

According to this chart you have a potential double bottom and a downtrend doji. Looks like there could be a reversal there. And the stochastic lines say it's over sold. Looks like a good play for monday.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
I don't put too much value into stochs but the doji patters look good, if it's another bounce I'd enter long for a short-term long trade.

What do the other time frames show?

Offline DTGeek

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »

Investing in individual stocks sure, but in general if you're looking at a 20+ year horizon, you stand to lose YEARS worth of savings if you don't invest in something.  Not only will you miss out on a huge amount of growth, but your savings will decline to less than half their original value because of inflation.

To back up my point, see the link below.  In 70+ years, the S&P 500 index has never had negative annual returns over a period of >20 years, including adjusting for inflation.

https://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2007/02/worst-returns-ever-for-s-500.html

Also, the worst case scenarios all span the Great Depression or recessions.  They correspond to buying high right before a recession, and then selling low.  If you're a more typical individual investor who's constantly putting in a bit of savings every year or every month you're going to do far better -- you'll buy at the top, but you'll also buy at the bottom (see: "dollar cost averaging").

Anyone with significant savings who doesn't plan to retire for 20+ more years would obviously be crazy not to at least buy some inflation protected securities/assets, and realistically would be crazy not to invest.  I say this as a buy and hold investor whose portfolio decline in 2008 and again recently has been more than most people make in a year, but is totally okay with this knowing the markets will eventually return to their peaks, probably sooner rather than later.  If you can save $5,000/year until retirement, the difference between investing and just keeping it in a low-interest savings account is literally the difference between retiring a millionaire and retiring with nothing.

The bottom line is that the economy and therefore the markets ultimately ends up reflecting the technological progress of our civilization (i.e. the economy is not a zero-sum game), and unless you believe that advancement is going to come to a complete halt, it's crazy not to invest in it.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
I don't put too much value into stochs but the doji patters look good, if it's another bounce I'd enter long for a short-term long trade.

What do the other time frames show?

Similar patterns but this one is the clearest. They all show over sold as well. I bought 1200 shares in after hours on friday hoping to catch a bounce on monday. If it goes down again i'll just sell it out quickly and move on but i am hoping i'm correct on this one. Yesterday i made 600 on a trade and this has the potential to make at least that again. I need 700 dollars to switch over to Interactive Brokers, that's my goal. If you look at the chart on Aug 8th with the first doji the next day it went up a dollar if i can get half of that it would be 600 but i'd love to get the whole thing!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
While I am currently not an investor, my brother has got his money in silver.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
Sooo.. bump.

There is a nagging question regarding which retirement vehicle to use, 401k, Roth 410k, IRA, Roth IRA, etc.  I've read some articles/blogs recommending the following hirearchy:

• First, contribute to a Roth IRA
  • Then, if you have more to invest, contribute just enough to a 401k to get the max company match (uaually 6% of salary)
  • Then, if you have more to invest, traditional IRA
  • Then, if you have more to invest, max out the rest of the 401k

I can understand some of the reasoning here, since the options in many 401k's are limited/high cost, and you would do better to choose your own low cost funds.  However, you can't max out both a traditional and a Roth IRA.  The combined limit for these is $5000/year.  So if you want to contribute more than steps 1 & 2, you are limited to using your company's 401k.

Currently, I max my company's 401k, but I am thinking of reducing that and putting the difference into my IRA.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »
  • First, contribute to a Roth IRA
  • Then, if you have more to invest, contribute just enough to a 401k to get the max company match (uaually 6% of salary)
  • Then, if you have more to invest, traditional IRA
  • Then, if you have more to invest, max out the rest of the 401k
You would want to make sure you're getting your full company match first. This is usually 50% of what you put in. That's essentially a 50% return right off the bat, plus whatever the market does. This will beat basically any other investment.

So:
401k first to get max matching from your company
Max out Roth IRA next
Than really whatever you want, probably not an issue for most people anyway.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 01:40:17 AM »
I just started a new job and am trying to figure out the best allocation of my benefit options.  This is what they offer:

ESPP Plan: 15% discount, 4 exercise dates per year, quick sale the same day the shares are added to your account.
401k: Company stopped matching, previously contributed 3% cash (immediately vested) and plan to start matching again Q3 of this year.

I've set the ESPP plan to the maximum 15% since I'm quick selling for a guaranteed gain of 17.65%, less taxes.

I'm trying to determine what percentage I should contribute to the 401k.  If I contribute 5%, that brings my take home pay to 49% of my gross income (Gross - Taxes - ESPP - 401k - Insurance Premiums).  Given that I'm living at home and wanting to move out, raising that any higher would make things pretty tight.

I currently have a measly $1000 in an IRA that was rolled over from my 401k at my retail job years ago.  Should I roll this into my new 401k, transfer it to a Roth IRA, or something else? 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »
First thing you need to do is take advantage of the 401k matching when it comes back. You should contribute just enough to get the full matching. Not doing this would be silly as it's generally a 50% return right off the bat.

Next, do the ESPP with whatever else you can afford. Make sure that when you sell the shares you put it in an IRA or Roth IRA so it's designated for retirement (if that's your goal). Keep in mind that selling ESPP shares within a year results in the gains being taxed as regular income. If you hold it for a year it'll be taxed at a lower rate. If the company is doing well, it might make sense to hold it for a while, though there's more risk involved with doing that.

I'd just leave the current IRA. You can use it as a place to dump your ESPP proceeds or roll over future 401ks as you leave companies.

As long as you're putting at least 10% of your gross income towards retirement you're in good shape.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
I understand 401k matching, but since they're not matching now, I want to put at least 3-5% into it.

I'm already maxing out the ESPP plan.

I should clarify the situation with my IRA.  It's in a VERY low risk account (I didn't choose it) and they charge me $15/year which is substantially more than any gains I'm making, so I want to get it out of there. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »
I'd roll over the IRA to another IRA with Fidelity or Vanguard or one of those guys. They're pretty low fee and you'd have a wide variety of investment options.

Putting a 5% or so in the 401k is a good idea.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
What about a more liquid savings option?  Since it's only $1000, I'm thinking of converting it to a Roth IRA and throwing my ESPP earnings in there up to the $5000/year limit.  After that limit, I'll toss the remainder of the ESPP earnings into my savings account. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
What about a more liquid savings option?  Since it's only $1000, I'm thinking of converting it to a Roth IRA and throwing my ESPP earnings in there up to the $5000/year limit.  After that limit, I'll toss the remainder of the ESPP earnings into my savings account. 
If you've got the cash to pay the taxes to convert it to a Roth, that's probably the best way to go. Maxing out the Roth and putting the rest in savings is a good plan, especially if you're putting some into 401k as well. The ore you can put away for retirement when you're young, the less you'll need to when you get older and life get's more expensive.