Author Topic: The Investment Thread!  (Read 4010 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Re: The Investment Thread!
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
That sucks Stadler you had to eat into it a bit.  I think people often approach a point in life where they may need to eat into that savings and I hope no one has to do that, including myself.

One thing that makes the 401k a bit easier in that regard is that I essentially don't even see it.  I don't typically check on it and I try not to look too much into my pay stubs to find the numbers.  It's a mental game.  I know I have issues where I like to spend money, like that Petrucci example would really tempt me, but if I don't see it then its significantly easier for me to not touch it.  Granted I haven't reached a point where I needed that money, but if I continue to play the mental game of "it's not even there" then it's easier to just keep throwing money into it (I'm at 7% with my employer matching 4%) and saving it for later.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
When you no longer work for that company, be sure to roll the 401k to an IRA.

I've just merged every time I move to a new place. This is the third place I've worked while contributing to my 401K. I've used 3 different companies to manage the funds, but they are currently all in my Fidelity account.

I've considered moving my IRA funds into my current 401K - the compounding would likely be better and I'd see higher returns with a larger balance.

Then again, my IRA is invested conservatively and my current 401K is aggressive, so I'm never sure what would be better. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »
I put 10% of each paycheck into my 401k. Its nice because it gets taken out before taxes. I have about 3800 in it so far and made 18% last year. quarter 22% last quarter.I'm pretty much banking on that compounding till I retire in the event my lifegoes to shit.

I'm kind of glad I found this post here. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this to encourage others to start investing/saving young.

I'm 28 and just passed the $45,000 mark in my 401K. In the six years since that post, between my own contributions and employers matching, I've managed to put aside and gain more than $40K for retirement. That will only continue to compound as life goes on. Start saving now.

DO NOT TOUCH IT.

I don't know if you heard that, or not, but I'll say again, DO NOT TOUCH IT.

Margot Robbie comes to your house and says "me and three of my friends will be your sex slaves, all you have to do is take out $20k from your 401k", DO NOT TOUCH IT.

Bernie comes to you and says "I have a plan; your personal choice can be President tomorrow, I just need $30k from your 401k", DO NOT TOUCH IT.

John Petrucci says "Hey, the guys and I will play your backyard twice a year, your choice of setlist, for the rest of our active career; it'll only cost you $25k from your 401k, DO NOT TOUCH IT. 

I have no excuses, I have no one to blame but myself, but through a couple shaky years in a tough marriage and a shitty divorce, and I did touch it, and it's definitely my biggest - and perhaps only - regret in life. 

Stadler is definitely correct, but I'd probably still crumble in scenarios 1 and 3 :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
I think the best investments one could make in this climate would be canned food, MRE's and ammunition. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2017, 04:43:44 AM »
When you no longer work for that company, be sure to roll the 401k to an IRA.

I've just merged every time I move to a new place. This is the third place I've worked while contributing to my 401K. I've used 3 different companies to manage the funds, but they are currently all in my Fidelity account.

I've considered moving my IRA funds into my current 401K - the compounding would likely be better and I'd see higher returns with a larger balance.

Then again, my IRA is invested conservatively and my current 401K is aggressive, so I'm never sure what would be better.

IRAs have infinitely more investment choices, making it more likely to construct a portfolio that fits your needs and risk tolerance better.  Plus it will have less fees, both hidden and stated.  The 401k beats the IRA in the accumulation phase due to its matching feature, and in some cases its borrowing features.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29