Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128676 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The DC Movies Thread v Wonder Gal
« Reply #910 on: June 05, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
I thought the pacing was its greatest strength. 

I get SOOO FATIGUED by a movie that constantly wants to "machine gun" the story at me without ever giving the characters a chance to breathe.     Wonder Woman's first act was what made me fall in love with the movie.   We actually got to know the characters and their motivations.   I actually want to go back and see it again.  Such a great film.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline masterthes

« Reply #911 on: June 07, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
I really enjoyed it. Still not as good as Marvel, but definitely the best non Christopher Nolan DC film

Ares reveal didn't shock me in the least. That trope of having the villain secretly disguised as the villain has been done countless times

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #912 on: June 07, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »
It's better than most superhero films, including Marvel.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #913 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »
Saw it today, very impressed. Thoroughly enjoyed it, seems DC finally found a story they could tell right, with a proper amount of background to add tension. No Man's Land scene was epic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #914 on: June 08, 2017, 02:43:58 PM »
Not gonna lie, I was biased against the idea of this movie from the get-go, for three reasons:

1.  DC just hasn't made good films thus far.  I don't count the Nolan trilogy since Batman has since been rebooted, and the Nolan trilogy isn't part of this universe. 
2.  Since I was a kid, I was always kinda Marvel-biased in the Marvel vs. DC thing.  All in fun, but still.
3.  I have always felt that the character is kinda dumb.  NOT because she's a woman, and I kinda resent the fact that I feel the need to even have to point that out.  I just thought Wonder Woman was a dumb character (although the series with Linda Carter actually had some pretty good moments at times and was fun to watch).  I always felt that Aquaman was a dumb character as well, so there ya' go. 

But part of me is also glad this is doing well because, at the end of the day, the existence of a good film benefits the audience and that's what it's all about.  Based on the reviews, I'm looking forward to seeing this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #915 on: June 08, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
Bosk stop watching your Warriors destroy LeBron and go see Wonder Woman now!!! lol  :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #916 on: June 09, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »
Late to the party with Wonder Woman, but it was worth the wait!

What a fun movie! Saying that this is the best movie in the DCEU, is a massive understatement. I't is so far above BVS and the rest, that it's not even funny!

Humor was great, there were tense and heartfelt moments and a lot of great action scenes. I love that the action scenes clearly served the story, and not the other way around. The end fight was a bit too cheesy though, if i were to say a negative.

I hope DC higher up's are taking notes, and benchmarking Wonder Woman as a stantard for the future DC movies. And i hope that Wonder Woman gets a sequel!

And lastly, Gal Gadot completely owns the role. She also happens to be so adorable!

8/10.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: June 09, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »
Hey gang i'm now doing volunteer work at the local cinema and I get to see films for free so i may see this tomorrow evening ! :)

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #918 on: June 10, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »
Just had my second serving of Wonder Woman, and i loved it even more the second time around

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #919 on: June 12, 2017, 01:59:33 AM »
The more i think about Wonder Woman, the more i like it. I should really go watch it a 2nd time!

It might be my favorite superhero origin story, along with Iron Man and X Men: First Class.

i guess Guardians of the Galaxy also counts as a origin story?..

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #920 on: June 12, 2017, 02:15:01 AM »
Hmm...not in the sense that we meet the characters like Rocket or Groot from their humble beginnings to becoming extraordinary beings. It's more like the first X-men film where all characters already have developt skills and they just come together to save the day. Batman Begins is my favorite origin story to date for me.

Another thing I was impressed with Wonder Woman was how they treated Doctor Poison. I'm glad it wasnt a well known WW villain like Cheetah or Giganta, but they honored the history of WW and used a original 1940's Wonder Woman villain.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:26:30 PM by Accelerando »

Offline masterthes

« Reply #921 on: June 12, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
How'd she get the sword back for Batman vs. Superman?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #922 on: June 12, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »
How'd she get the sword back for Batman vs. Superman?

Do we know it's the same sword?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #923 on: June 14, 2017, 07:28:58 PM »
In the film, her office at The Louvre had cases of swords on display. Im sure in her career as a curator, she found one that suited her

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #924 on: June 15, 2017, 01:23:51 PM »
Danny Elfman is replacing Junkie XL to compose the score for JUSTICE LEAGUE!!!

Elfman's Batman score, to me, is only second to John William's Superman score. He also composed the score for The Flash show (Not the current CW show, although I do enjoy that theme). And of course, he composed the score for the greatest animated show ever, Batman: The Animated Series, using variations of his Batman movie music.

I was on the ropes about Junkie XL ( Although I believe he is responsible for making Wonder Woman's theme), and I loved his score for Mad Max: Fury Road. But I think Elfman is a better choice to complete the music, or just rewrite the score for Justice League.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #925 on: June 15, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
Yea, I'll agree that Elfman's Batman score is by far the greatest superhero theme ever.

In fact, of ALL the superhero themes and scores for the last 20+ years, the only one that even comes close to memorable is Wonder Woman's.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #926 on: June 15, 2017, 02:35:38 PM »
Hmm interesting you would say that. I agree. On command, I can hum that tune. However, myself, I love The Dark Knight trilogy theme aka Molossus from Batman Begins.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #927 on: June 18, 2017, 04:53:20 AM »
I'd argue that Ramin Djavadi's Iron Man score, is the most memorable superhero score of the last 10-15 years.

Wonder Woman Score is not far behind!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #928 on: June 18, 2017, 03:03:19 PM »
Hmm even the Iron Man score, I can't put my finger on the tune. I remember it being very jazzy and doo-wop, like The Incredibles Score....just not as memorable, but it fit the movie.

The top Superhero themes in my opinion are

1. Superman Main Title theme - John Williams
2. Batman Main Title - Danny Elfman
3. X2 Suite - John Ottmon (which has been used in the last few X-Men films)
4. The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino
5. The Rocketeer (Rocketeer To The Rescue) - James Horner

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #929 on: June 20, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
Today is the 20th Anniversary of Batman and Robin. But that's not why i'm posting today :lol

BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM IS GETTING A HD REMASTERED BLU-RAY RELEASE!!!

Before Batman Begins, this film in my opinion was the best Batman feature film, yet so many people overlook it because it's an animated film. I cite this film as a reason why I'm such a massive Batman fan. I was 6, and I was taken at least 4 times to see it, which I think is a lot for a 6 yr old.

I can't wait to see how this looks remastered, and it'll be a golden addition in my Batman Blu-Ray collection.

And happy anniversary to this

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #930 on: June 20, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »
BAT NIPPLES!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #931 on: July 04, 2017, 12:00:54 AM »
Batman Returns also has anniversary this year...25 years.

It's a good film, but it never was my favorite. There's too much of Tim Burton in it. The tone from Batman and Batman Returns feels like a big gap. I never like that he made Penguin into a mutant bird monster that wants to kill children. Michelle Pfeifer was extremely sexy, but I hated her back from the dead backstory. Burton hired Bo Welch as production designer, who did Edward Scissorhands. These two movies parallel in their look. Burton certainly let his freak flag fly, which is artistically is interesting, but for me, it never worked for a Batman movie!

Returns probably is responsible for making it okay for superhero movies to target adult audiences. Without it, Blade and Spawn probably would have never gotten made.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #932 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:15 AM »
Late to the party with Wonder Woman, but it was worth the wait!

What a fun movie! Saying that this is the best movie in the DCEU, is a massive understatement. I't is so far above BVS and the rest, that it's not even funny!

Humor was great, there were tense and heartfelt moments and a lot of great action scenes. I love that the action scenes clearly served the story, and not the other way around. The end fight was a bit too cheesy though, if i were to say a negative.

I hope DC higher up's are taking notes, and benchmarking Wonder Woman as a stantard for the future DC movies. And i hope that Wonder Woman gets a sequel!

And lastly, Gal Gadot completely owns the role. She also happens to be so adorable!

8/10.

Finally just saw it.  I think I pretty much agree with all of the above.  To add just a bit about the end fight, I guess it kind of comes down to two criticisms for me:  (1) The DC universe tends to have their big fights look TOO video gamish.  Yeah, Marvel has gone that road too.  It's probably near impossible to have a fight look realistic when you are trying to portray superpowered beings doing unrealistic things and using so much CGI.  But DC just seems to have taken it a bit farther than necessary to me.  (2) She just seems so ridiculously overpowered that it's hard to picture her having any serious sort of problems against anything, and that kind of makes her seem hard to relate to.

That said, I still thought it was great.

As far as the comments about the music/score, I'll just add this:  As far as I'm concerned, no score needed.  Just have Short Skirt, Long Jacket playing on loop.  Am I wrong?   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:31:39 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: July 23, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »
Finally just saw Wonder Woman, and it was very, very good. Blows the other DCEU movies out of the water. If they can keep that quality up, I hope we see plenty more of Wonder Woman on her own.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: September 08, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »
So, apparently, Joss Whedon has made enough changes in the Justice League movie that they're now giving him a co-writing credit.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #935 on: September 09, 2017, 03:09:53 PM »
Yeah there was speculation whether he was going to get a writing credit or a directing credit. I'm glad he's getting the writing credit too, but if the reshoots were so extensive because of the changes, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a co-directing credit as well.

Rumor is that Snyder himself went to Whedon after Whedon signed on for Batgirl, and asked for his advice on a few scenes. But ever since Snyder steppes away, looks like Warner Bros. has given Whedon a lot of creative control on the reshoots, something that Marvel Studios did not do with Age of Ultron.

I'm still excited for Justice League...because its JUSTICE LEAGUE. Im also just as anxious to see how the final product turns out with two different directors having worked on it. We could have a Superman II situation in our hands...and get a Snyder Directors Cut later on.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #936 on: September 16, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »
Finally just saw Wonder Woman, and it was very, very good. Blows the other DCEU movies out of the water. If they can keep that quality up, I hope we see plenty more of Wonder Woman on her own.

I've seen it too (better late than never) and I agree that it's probably the best so far. Sure, it's not really the first time that when it comes to a set of superheroes I watch a movie about one entirely set during one of the big wars, but it was quite enjoyable. Totally did not see the surprise at the end coming. 

Naive question but I assume that they had the whole story of the movie planned when they used the photo in Batman vs Superman, right? I don't think they "retro-engineered" the plot of a movie starting by random dudes lined up in a photo  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #938 on: September 17, 2017, 02:57:07 PM »
Why the 'Wonder Woman' Photo in 'Batman v Superman' Became a Huge Pain in the Ass.

Cool, thanks.

Sometimes these things happen in movies or in TV. I also wonder when they do cliffhangers in TV shows if they already film scenes that will be shown the next season or if they start all over painstakingly recreating the exact same enviroments of when the cliffhanger scene was done.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #939 on: September 19, 2017, 06:21:18 PM »
The studio made it a point, knowing the Wonder Woman backstory needed  to be told. albeit small, but huge in the wonder woman timeline. to be honest although small, it was brilliant. sometimes small  things make a difference. They have a star on their hands with her. if they roll with it.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #940 on: September 19, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
If justice league pans out. thee dc universe may gain momentum. BUT with infinity wars coming out they may be hard pressed.

it will be interesting what Marvel does after infinity Wars.  may be a regrouping time

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #941 on: September 19, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
and I a side not Gal may me the most beautiful woman on earth besides Salma Hayek

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #942 on: September 27, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »
I've NEVER been much of a D.C. fan, other than a casual Batman fan.  But I was around for the run of Batman films in the late '80s and '90s.  For their time, they were okay, and I enjoyed them.  Even though not a schlocky as the old Batman tv series, they were more in that vein and didn't take themselves very seriously, so it was (mostly) fine that they weren't better "quality."  I really liked the take on the character in the '90s animated series.  I have the entire thing on DVD, and I enjoy watching those.  Of course, the Nolan trilogy was brilliant.  That, to me, is really the cinematic benchmark for Batman.  So it's been disappointing to me to see where the DC universe is now.  I'll see Justice League because I'm sure it's going to be cool enough to warrant at least one viewing, even if it doesn't really hold up well over time.  And I guess I need to see BvS beforehand to have the necessary background.  But I don't really have high hopes. 

Really, to me, Wonder Woman looks like the only quality film of this iteration of the DC universe.  And that's a shame.  It's too bad they couldn't have tied her into the Nolan universe.  That was just so much better, and this present Wonder Woman is on par with that level of quality. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #943 on: September 27, 2017, 11:57:38 AM »
In all honesty, the Lego Batman Movie is (outside of the Nolan trilogy, which is tops) my absolute favorite. The movie was so cleverly written. It accesses the history of all the films in retrospect, calls back to some of them with both music and actual lines, and even pokes fun at DC/Warner Bros. for doing things such as Suicide Squad (which I have no idea how that slipped passed those reviewing the film from Warners, because there is no way they would have allowed that).

Yes, it is Lego. And obviously, the film isn't serious -- it is meant for humor and provide a bit of a lesson along the way. As a result, it's probably unfair to do comparisons. But it quickly jumped into the spot right behind the Nolan trilogy.

I do love the Animates Series for sure. It held down the fort for a while until Nolan made the character respectable on the big screen again.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #944 on: September 27, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »
I thought the Lego movie was great.  But being a much more causal fan than you are, I'm sure many of the jokes and tie-ins went over my head.  But I loved how HISHE made fun of certain tropes in the Nolan films, and the Lego movie took that and ran with it.