Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 129613 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Squad Goals
« Reply #770 on: December 28, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
Not that it needed confirmation, but I can now confirm that Suicide Squad was truly awful.  And on so very many levels that it is hard to do justice to just how bad it was.  But perhaps on just the most fundamental level, the two biggest flaws were that the plot was inane and unbelievable, and so were the characters. 

As far as the characters, perhaps the biggest shame of it all is that there was just so much potential.  Growing up, I was always a Marvel guy, to the point where I practically ignored D.C.  I mean, I know who some of these characters are.  But aside from Joker and Harley, I don't feel like I know any of them well.  But even coming in with that dearth of knowledge, I could see so much missed potential.  There were moments in the first 1/3 or so of the movie where Harley in particular really made me smile and say, "Even though this movie is failing, I LOVE this character."  But that pretty much dissolved in the latter half of the movie.  The Fresh Dead Shot of Bel Air was likeable, and you couldn't help but root for him at times.  But...eh.  Enchantress was pretty cool when she was in creepy mode before she and her brother went all Gozer the Destroyer for some reason that was not explained nearly well enough.  But the biggest problem was that these characters just never felt like they were who they were supposed to be, if that makes sense.  They never REALLY felt like villains beyond the first few minutes of the film.  They were just...not very good guys that just kinda wanted to be friends and wanted to escape, but instead decided to bond for no apparent reason. 

I went into this with very low expectations, so I'm kind of surprised that I am this disappointed.  Perhaps that is because the beginning of the film was actually pretty good at points and made me think it was going to be better than it was.  I dunno.  I just know that, in the end, it's a perfect entry in a series of D.C. failures.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #771 on: December 28, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »
For me, Suicide Squad failed immediately during the opening scenes. I don't know how long the exposition-force-feeding character introducing dump montage lasted, but what felt like 10 entire minutes of that stuff had passed, I knew DC had screwed up. And it didn't get better from there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #772 on: December 28, 2016, 11:26:27 AM »
Even though that was a really hamfisted way of, as you put it, "exposition-force-feeding character introducing," I was okay with it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #773 on: December 28, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »
THIS IS KATANA!

SHE'S GOT MY BACK!

I WOULDN'T ADVISE GETTING KILLED BY HER........HER SWORD TRAPS THE SOUL OF ITS VICTIM......

That is essentially my go-to to show how horribly lazy the film is.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:41:21 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #774 on: December 28, 2016, 03:39:04 PM »
As bad as BvS was, Suicide Squad was far worse for me. At least BvS had a good Batman. Suicide Squad was 2 hours of misery and probably the worst movie in 2016 for me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #775 on: December 29, 2016, 01:02:16 AM »
Yeah it's currently and so far firmly at the bottom of this year for me too.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #776 on: January 09, 2017, 05:07:02 AM »
New pic from Justice League  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #777 on: January 09, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »
I'm gonna see it because I like Ben Affleck as Batman and I'm one of those dummies who will pay for a superhero movie no matter how bad it looks, but it's hard for me to be positive after how the DC universe has gone so far. Especially with Snyder making this one too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #778 on: January 10, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »
I saw the Suicide Squad Extended Cut.  My daughter got it for Christmas.

Wow, what a clusterfuck.

Still better than Batman v. Superman.

Good luck, Wonder Woman.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #779 on: January 10, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »

Wow, what a clusterfuck.

Good luck, Wonder Woman.

After seeing BvS and SS last year, and reading about some of the backstage drama happening at WB, i'm less and less interested in the future DC movies.

I'm still optimistic about Wonder Woman, but latest rumors say that Justice League is another "mess".

Damn shame.

Online Adami

« Reply #780 on: January 10, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
I actually don't have high hopes for Wonder Woman. The trailers look like it's a bit over the top on the silliness, which I doubt will do well. I hope I'm wrong.

However, what little we saw fro JL looked surprisingly good. Who knows?

When BvS trailers came out, everyone was optimistic and figured that movie would fix the DCEU.

When the SS trailer came out, everyone was optimistic and figured that movie fix the DCEU.

Now same with Wonder Woman. I'll give DC this, they know how to make misleading trailers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #781 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »

Wow, what a clusterfuck.

Good luck, Wonder Woman.

I still need to watch Suicide Squd but I loved Batman v. Superman (extended edition). I never saw the original cut. I have such low expectations on Suicide Squad that I'm guessing I'll end up liking it as well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #782 on: January 11, 2017, 12:39:27 AM »
While I like Batman v Superman, it is a bit of a mess, but it still feels like a pretty competently made mess. Suicide Squad is just an insult to story telling and movie making from start to finish.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #783 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:54 AM »

Wow, what a clusterfuck.

Good luck, Wonder Woman.

I still need to watch Suicide Squd but I loved Batman v. Superman (extended edition). I never saw the original cut. I have such low expectations on Suicide Squad that I'm guessing I'll end up liking it as well.

Well I finally watched this over the weekend and it was just as bad as most people said it was. Terrible, simply terrible. I feel like they could have taken any person on the planet who enjoys comic book movies and asked for feedback and the movie would at least have been watchable. There were two things I enjoyed: 1. The Batman scenes were cool and 2. Harley's many ass shots. I slept during the last 30 minutes or so. I did enjoy Man of Steel and BvS and I'm looking forward to Wonder Woman and Justice League but I'm just going to pretend that Suicide Squad doesn't exist.

Online Adami

« Reply #784 on: January 30, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Affleck has stepped down as director for Batman. Seemed inevitable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #785 on: January 30, 2017, 10:58:13 PM »
Big disappointment. Hope it's not because he thinks the script is bad.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #786 on: January 31, 2017, 02:10:56 AM »
Didn't Geoff Johns and Affleck co-write the script?
It's very disappointing, indeed. But I truly believe that Affleck felt that it was way too much pressure on him. After he signed on as director two huge DC-movies bombed critically. Affleck is a respected director, and he knows that if this movie fails, his directing-carreer might be over. And, writing, directing, producing and starring in a movie of this scale is insane.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #787 on: January 31, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »
I think the bombing of his recent film had something to do with this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #788 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
Affleck is one of the best directors working in Hollywood today!

He is smart enough not to go down with a sinking ship, and tank he's career in the process.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #789 on: January 31, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
So basically the little hope we still had for DC to turn their universe around disappeared. Affleck stepping down is a clear indication that WB are interfering with the movie he wants to make, probably so they can shove in scenes setting up 3-4 future movies and random guest appearances to make us remember that this takes place in the DCEU.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #790 on: January 31, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »
I don't know, he's still heavily involved so I'm not too concerned. I will be more concerned if Wonder Woman and justice league suck as bad as the abomination that was suicide squad.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #791 on: January 31, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »
I find it very disappointing. Ben has really come on as a director.

Jimmy, did you read of the WB interference or just your theory?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: January 31, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
boy oh boy cant wait for DAT Aquaman movie dat i've been counting down the days for !!!!!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #793 on: January 31, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2017/01/31/ben-affleck-quits-as-the-batman-movie-director/#361a2d947a7a

Sounds like there is a lot more going on than just Ben stepping down as director

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #794 on: January 31, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
I find it very disappointing. Ben has really come on as a director.

Jimmy, did you read of the WB interference or just your theory?

I mean everything points to that. Just recently Ben Affleck went out and said he wouldn't do it if the script wasn't good enough, and he is the guy writing the script. The only reason for him saying that in my mind would be sending some signals to the WB people that "hey, let me make my movie" and someone wanting to change the script he is working on.

And I mean given how the movies have turned out so far, with both BvS and Suicide Squad ending up with the same fate of being a jumbled mess due to studio interference, but "hey there's a director's cut that's better".

Heard some early whispers that Wonder Woman is not looking too good (too early to say for us since we haven't seen it) but I honestly would not be surprised. I feel like companies rarely make smart decisions when they have dug themselves into a corner (see Sony with their Amazing Spider-Man films). I think the pressure on DC to deliver a solid movie is too high and I think they will fail personally.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: January 31, 2017, 03:49:43 PM »
Very good incite by you Jimmy. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #796 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:17 PM »
Not sure where else to put this, and it's probably common knowledge but...

I just recently read that part of the opening montage of The Watchmen includes the original Night Owl punching out a guy who was about to shoot a wealthy couple outside of a movie theater, the woman wearing pearls. So I watched it and noticed that on the walls in the background were posters of the original 66' Batman show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #797 on: March 11, 2017, 01:03:36 AM »
Not sure where else to put this, and it's probably common knowledge but...

I just recently read that part of the opening montage of The Watchmen includes the original Night Owl punching out a guy who was about to shoot a wealthy couple outside of a movie theater, the woman wearing pearls. So I watched it and noticed that on the walls in the background were posters of the original 66' Batman show.

Never noticed that! Im gonna have to rewatch that because that's a pretty cool easter egg!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #798 on: March 11, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
I love the Watchmen movie.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #799 on: March 11, 2017, 09:32:46 PM »
New Wonder Woman trailer has dropped!

https://youtu.be/INLzqh7rZ-U

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Wonder Gal
« Reply #800 on: March 12, 2017, 06:26:15 AM »
That looks great!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #801 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »
It definitely looks better than the first 3 films of this "universe".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: March 13, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
It definitely looks better than the first 3 films of this "universe".

That it does.

Man of Steel, BatMan V Superman and....what was the third one ?

Oh Suicide Squad...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #803 on: March 13, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
Yeah.

Online Adami

« Reply #804 on: March 13, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »
It looks good, but I'm really not impressed by any of it to be honest. As much as I liked Gal Gadot in BvS, she's really not inspiring me much in these trailers, nor is the dialogue in general.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'll for sure go see it, but I'm not filled with confidence the way everyone else is.

Then again, I thought the trailers to BvS and Suicide Squad were amazing, so maybe this will be the reverse of that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com