Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 130497 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The DC Movies Thread v BVS (***SPOILERS****)
« Reply #525 on: April 25, 2016, 08:01:09 AM »
Not in the 90's comic book versions of them.
I read the comic in the 90's and don't remember any such deviation, king.  Not sure what you were reading.

Hell, even in Kingdom Come, the biggest difference amongst Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman was that WW was willing to kill, and the other two weren't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #526 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »
I read the comic in the 90's and don't remember any such deviation, king.  Not sure what you were reading.

Hell, even in Kingdom Come, the biggest difference amongst Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman was that WW was willing to kill, and the other two weren't.

So with Frank Miller's Batman in the late 80's he kills Joker. That's just one example.

BTW, where is this that Superman is willing to kill in the last 2 movies.  You tell me where he is willing without remorse or inner pain to kill someone.  We are not talking good guys. Zod wanted to lay wait to Earth.  What was so wrong with that?  I have no problem with that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: April 25, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
I never had a problem with him killing Zod either. And they clearly made a point by showing that he hated doing it, even to the point of manifesting how he felt about it as physical pain with that scream.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: April 25, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
Right.  It's obvious that he stresses over everything and that's why fans have tagged him "Emo Superman". :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »
He also used populated buildings as playthings, throwing Zod through buildings and killing thousands of people in the process. He did all of this without remorse. Sure, you can say it was all Zod's fault, but Supes is 50% to blame for bringing it the way he did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: April 25, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
I said before and this is my take but he's never been in a full on brawl for his life with a person of his strength and who was trained in battle.  He's fighting for his life.  Human nature (I know  lol) is to not think of your surroundings when your life is on the line.

Offline Adami

« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »
I said before and this is my take but he's never been in a full on brawl for his life with a person of his strength and who was trained in battle.  He's fighting for his life.  Human nature (I know  lol) is to not think of your surroundings when your life is on the line.

That's cool. But he still caused the deaths of thousands of innocents without the slightest regard. People just have an issue with that. It's not really directed at Superman himself, but at the writers who were more interested in lots of boom boom and pow pow than they were making authentic characters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #532 on: April 25, 2016, 12:49:18 PM »

So with Frank Miller's Batman in the late 80's he kills Joker. That's just one example.
Yes, Frank Miller's Batman, in a story set at the end of his career, FINALLY has Batman killing someone.  For the first time since the 1940s.  Which shows how out of character it was.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: April 25, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
I never get why it can't change Hef.  Why are people so stubborn about it.  It's not like he's going all killer on people.  Maybe it's just not articulated by a below average director on the pain Superman or Batman feels.  IDN, it doesn't bother me much.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #534 on: April 25, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »

Yes, Frank Miller's Batman, in a story set at the end of his career, FINALLY has Batman killing someone.  For the first time since the 1940s.  Which shows how out of character it was.

Not quite the first time Batman has killed....

https://www.dorkly.com/video/76737/9-times-batman-broke-his-one-rule

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #535 on: April 25, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »

Isn't that sort of what they're going for with the current Batman? He's old and grizzled and fed up.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #536 on: April 25, 2016, 02:12:43 PM »
Is that the best way to introduce the character into this new film universe?  By him being OUT of character, and just a brutal killing machine?

I get that a character can be driven to that point, but he is starting out at that point here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: April 25, 2016, 02:22:27 PM »
Brutal killing machine?  That insinuates that he did the killing with malice.  It's obvious it wore on Superman and Batman is dark enough to kill villains.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: April 25, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »
It's just like Avatar and Chino all over again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
Not even close buddy. I never said this movie is the shiznit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: April 25, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
:hifive:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #541 on: April 26, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »
Brutal killing machine?  That insinuates that he did the killing with malice. 
No it doesn't.  It SAYS that he kills a lot of people, brutally.  It doesn't INSINUATE anything.

Just because you personally don't have a problem with it doesn't mean it isn't a valid criticism.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: April 26, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
It's an argument I've had with my cousin for a long time.  You know the one that I bitched about helping move those boxes on Facebook. :lol  He can't stand when anything is different then his version of a superhero.  He's loosened up over the years but it was so bad that he hated the darker blue for the Superman costume.

So I tend to like something a little more modern or even flawed as a superhero.  The real issue is some directors do it better so it doesn't upset the fan base as much.  Snyder has not done that well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #543 on: April 26, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
Considering Batman broke his "no kill" rule in the comics after the Joker killed Robin, it would make sense if they mirrored that in the DCEU Batman. We've had plenty of different Batmans on screen and I'm happy they went a different route with him.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #544 on: April 26, 2016, 10:15:16 AM »
He can't stand when anything is different then his version of a superhero.  He's loosened up over the years but it was so bad that he hated the darker blue for the Superman costume.
I'm not concerned with "my" version of any superhero.  I am concerned with the general historical portrayal of the character, regardless of the character.

I hate the darker blue on the Superman costume as well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #545 on: April 26, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »
I guess this quote by Zack Snyder from 2008 should have told us everything about what to expect from his version of Batman:

Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #546 on: May 03, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
Guys. The Batman V Superman "How It Should Have Ended Episode" is on point  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Behold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTuyfQ5CR4Q

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #547 on: May 04, 2016, 05:43:37 AM »
That was totally worth 8 minutes of my morning!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: May 04, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »
I might actually enjoy this one. I'll cue it up :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: May 04, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
Definitely goes on too long.

Offline Adami

« Reply #550 on: May 04, 2016, 03:12:39 PM »

I totally agree, and now they're going to release a 3 hour version!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: May 04, 2016, 03:19:56 PM »

Rated R.

R for Reealllyyy ? :(

Offline Adami

« Reply #552 on: May 04, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »

Rated R.

R for Reealllyyy ? :(

Based on that Snyder interview he did some years back about how he would treat Batman, I hope it's rated R for rape.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: May 04, 2016, 04:25:15 PM »
The V in Batman V Superman clearly stands for Violence.

There was a report that Robin was originally in BVS and he too was a murdering psychopath.

:yeahright FFS.

Why not have a scene where Superman Pisses on the grave of Christopher Reeve ?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: May 04, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »

There was a report that Robin was originally in BVS and he too was a murdering psychopath.

You are a DC drama quenn. :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #555 on: May 04, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »

From what I've read (which might not be everything you've read) the Robin comments are based 100% on the weapon he had in his little display case which people assume was meant for brutal murder. Nothing else.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: May 05, 2016, 03:43:40 AM »

You are a DC drama quenn. :lol

Marvel are doing it so much better right now.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: May 05, 2016, 04:20:46 AM »
While I agree with that, Marvel is making better movies at the moment, I don't want DC to go that route. I want my Marvel fun, and I want my DC dark. It fits. They just need to fix some writing problems.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: May 05, 2016, 04:23:31 AM »
Yes :lol...

Man Of Steel wasn't as bad script wise but Snyder is not really a very good director. I'd put him on the same level as George Lucas. A lot of stuff on screen but incompetent in every other area.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #559 on: May 05, 2016, 04:26:54 AM »
I don't have as much of a problem with Snyder's direction. It's not perfect, and it can be a bit wonky at times, but Im overall fine with it. I just want a consistently good story in a DC movie. Not an "okay" one with better moments.