Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128579 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Dawn of Justice League
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2016, 02:00:17 PM »
Maybe it's me projecting here but I though during that fight that this day was his first real fighting.  Who on his time on earth could he fight?  So He was in an all out, knock down battle for his life and getting to a safer spot to fight never occurred to him in that moment.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »
Well then he's a big blue doofus.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
Well then he's a big blue doofus.

Well, but that is nothing new.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
Indeed.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2016, 02:10:01 PM »
And to help your thought process, the other Superman movies did show him wanting to take the fight to a safer place.  It just crossed my mind at the time I saw it in the theaters he was fighting for his life.

Edit: :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2016, 10:57:49 PM »
The Avengers could have taken both of their big battles to different places too. But they didn't. I don't see how people can blame Superman for not taking the fight somewhere else when EVERY OTHER SUPERHERO MOVIE DOES THE SAME THING. Besides, Zod was already destroying Metropolis before Superman got there.

Man of Steel has some glaring flaws. The destruction of Metropolis is not one of them.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2016, 05:12:22 AM »
The Avengers could have taken both of their big battles to different places too. But they didn't. I don't see how people can blame Superman for not taking the fight somewhere else when EVERY OTHER SUPERHERO MOVIE DOES THE SAME THING. Besides, Zod was already destroying Metropolis before Superman got there.

Man of Steel has some glaring flaws. The destruction of Metropolis is not one of them.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a flaw in the story, just that it's the reason Batman has a hate on for Superman.  It seems as though you're mixing real-life opinions of the movie vs speculation around the fiction of the storyline.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2016, 06:08:08 AM »
You can attribute them to Zod if you want.  But Zod was there because of Superman, and by taking part in the combat Superman is also culpable.  He was fighting and punching through buildings too.

Yes, he was fighting to save himself and the world. It's not like he initiated anything. It's fine if Batman or whoever else want to hold Superman responsible for the collateral damage, but if this was a court case, he'd get off on self defense.

Yes, but this isn't a court case.  You are talking about two different perspectives.  Yours is the perspective of the objective movie viewer.  That perspective is irrelevant to the fictional average citizen in the DC movie universe that was witness to it all.  From their perspective, you had two aliens duking it out, and innocent bystanders being caught in the middle, some of whom died.  In the mind of MANY, that would make Superman culpable, just as Hef said.

I think that the fictional average citizen will figure out in short order that Superman saved all of humanity.  Sure, some won't believe it. But considering that the good alien and his GF work at the Daily Planet, the word'll get out.  Sure there will be some who don't believe, or still see him as a threat, such as Batman. But I'll say it again. If it weren't for his actions, every single human, including Batman, would be dead.

Maybe it's me projecting here but I though during that fight that this day was his first real fighting.  Who on his time on earth could he fight?  So He was in an all out, knock down battle for his life and getting to a safer spot to fight never occurred to him in that moment.

Bingo! Zod even brought that up in his awesome "where did you train" line.

Couldn't agree more.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »
The Avengers could have taken both of their big battles to different places too. But they didn't.
In the first film, the portal the aliens were coming through was in New York City.  They couldn't take the battle anywhere else; if they did, more aliens would keep coming through the portal without any heroes to stop them.  Even so, the film was clear that the less powerful members of the team spent a lot of time clearing bystanders to safety as best they could.

In the second film, the Avengers went to great pains to rescue the citizens of the city instead of letting them all die from Ultron's army and the fall of the city.  Oh, and there was that small plot element of the city being lifted off the face of the earth.

Superman didn't do anything to mitigate any loss of life as a result his battle with Zod.

Your comparison doesn't really work.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
Pretty much agree.  The only thing Supe's did (granted, he's only one guy) was try to end the fight as fast as possible.  The army worked on taking out the rest of Zod's crew, so all Sup had to do was cut the head of the snake off.  He could've grabbed that mofo, and gone out to the suburbs, or an open stretch of an interstate rather than destroy a few dozen office towers, and grand central station.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2016, 08:56:04 AM »
The Avengers could have taken both of their big battles to different places too. But they didn't.
In the first film, the portal the aliens were coming through was in New York City.  They couldn't take the battle anywhere else; if they did, more aliens would keep coming through the portal without any heroes to stop them.  Even so, the film was clear that the less powerful members of the team spent a lot of time clearing bystanders to safety as best they could.

And despite that, in BOTH films, you still had people, including some very smart and some very powerful people, who blamed the Avengers--or at the very least, were highly suspicious of them.  That is what Civil War is about.  Really, it's not that hard to understand.  Taking that same concept to the DC universe, as Jingle said, "I don't think anyone is saying it's a flaw in the story, just that it's the reason Batman has a hate on for Superman."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2016, 09:17:32 AM »
I really need to go back and watch Man of Steel. I've only seen it once and I remember liking it but not loving it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
I thought it was ok up until the last 40 minutes of destruction...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »
I liked it.  was it a home run?  Nope, but I liked it.  I'm hoping that Lex in the new movie isn't so slapstick as we saw in the trailer.  I'm hoping that's a facade.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:53 AM »
Man of Steel was fun to watch, but full of plot holes.  So long as expectations are low, it's enjoyable enough.  Action eye-candy is how I viewed it, and an attempt to revive the Superman movie franchise.  The main story arc's are better than Superman Returns, but the details and execution leave much to be desired.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16:19 AM »
I really need to go back and watch Man of Steel. I've only seen it once and I remember liking it but not loving it.

To me, it gets better with each viewing.  The action sequences are what I've always wanted to see out of a Superman movie. And I love the darker/grittier movies that DC has been churning out.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
I think "darker and grittier" works better with some characters than others.  DC's apparent intent to cast their entire film universe in that light is a potential problem (I don't think that Superman or the Flash, for example, should ever be "darker and grittier"), but I remain hopeful that the final results are good.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
I always liked dark and gritty. And I'm fine with Superman being just that, maybe not as dark as maybe Batman, but some is still fine.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
In contrast to that, Marvel has taken an interesting approach, IMO.  The movies, at least initially, have taken a lighter approach to the universe as a whole, and especially the "heroes."  Some of the TV series have presented a darker, grittier side of the same universe that coexists with the lighter side.  And IMO the movies have set up, and Civil War will I believe bring to the forefront, a split between the lighter side and the darker side (although not as dark and gritty as, say, Daredevil), and again showcase both sides and both tones coexisting, to an extent.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2016, 11:58:55 AM »
Plus Marvel had 5 films setting up the characters before Avengers.

BVS : Dawn Of Justice is pretty much putting all its eggs in one basket.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
I think "darker and grittier" works better with some characters than others.  DC's apparent intent to cast their entire film universe in that light is a potential problem (I don't think that Superman or the Flash, for example, should ever be "darker and grittier"), but I remain hopeful that the final results are good.

I'm probably most disturbed with the idea of a "dark and gritty" Aquaman.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »

There is a version of Auqaman that is just that.  Upset with how the lands dwellers are abusing the sea.  We grew up in the very clean version of Auqaman.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
Plus Marvel had 5 films setting up the characters before Avengers.

BVS : Dawn Of Justice is pretty much putting all its eggs in one basket.

Well, sort of.  I mean, once we got to Hulk and IM2, we all knew that they were setting up for Avengers.  Dawn of Justice is NOT the Justice League movie.  That is coming in 2017.  Dawn of Justice is just a crossover with 2 major super heroes (I guess 3 if Wonder Woman plays a major role).  So, counting Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad, DC will have had 4 movies to set up the official Justice League films.  So DC is setting up their shared universe and super hero "team" with 4 movies of setup instead of 5.  Pretty comparable.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »
Aquaman will also have a small part in B v S.  And Cyborg and Flash are also rumored to be making appearances.

I don't count Suicide Squad as setup for the JL, although certainly in that universe.

So really, 2 films to set up the JL.  MoS and BvS.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2016, 01:55:28 PM »
I don't count Suicide Squad as setup for the JL, although certainly in that universe.

Fair enough, but it is establishing the shared universe, even if it is not going to do anything to set up the Justice League heroes.  Not sure if there is going to be an eventual tie-in or not.  But still, my point was just that DC is taking the time to set up their huge team-up epic with a few films rather than, as Kowtow suggested, just jumping right to it after one film (which would ultimately be fine too, as long as it worked).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
Aquaman will also have a small part in B v S.  And Cyborg and Flash are also rumored to be making appearances.

So really, 2 films to set up the JL.  MoS and BvS.

^that.

Marvel had individual movies for the four main Avengers, all connected with Coulson, significant involvement from Nick Fury, and  tangible cameos for both Hawkeye and Black Widow.  Every character had there own mythos explained and explored.

Justice League will have none of that.  They're going the opposite direction - get the team together, then give them their own movie.  I'm not saying it's worse or better, just that they're not doing things the same way Marvel did - other than cramming WW and perhaps others into BvS.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »
Several, for sure.

The bigger difference is that with Marvel, Iron Man had two films of his own, Thor had one, Captain America had one, Hulk had one, then they all teamed up.  The team-up only had to show how they worked together, it didn't have to serve as intro to the characters as well; their solo films had done that already.

DC had Man of Steel which introduced Superman, and now Batman v Superman to introduce everyone else, and then Justice League 1 & 2 with solo films to follow. 

It's a different approach, and I wish them luck.

EDIT: ninja'd by a Canadian.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »
EDIT: ninja'd by a Canadian.

Caninja!

I had that once.  Luckily, some rad antibiotics cleared it right up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2016, 04:43:09 PM »
So you do have a super power. 

I wonder how the Flash will be.  The actor they got doesn't seem like Flash material.   That being said, I thought the same about Heather Ledger and other was I wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »
So you do have a super power. 

...the Flash

If his "super power" is that Mrs. Jingle calls him "the Flash," that probably does not bode well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2016, 05:29:53 PM »
He's got to get some to say that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2016, 05:47:18 PM »

You dropped a beer can on the beach.

Now.

He's gotta rape your mum.

AQUAMAN.

THE.  TIDE. HAS. TURNED.

(rated PG 13 obviously)