Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128618 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Dawn of Justice League
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »
I'm still excited for BvS. With everything WB has been doing, like hiring Chris Terrio to rewrite the script and holding off a year to shoot it has lead me to believe they took their time to get the story right. Remember, Man of Steel was rushed getting it into production, and you can see the glaring flaws of it from that film.

As a comic book fan, seeing Batman and Superman on screen together was once a dream, and now it's going to be a reality.

I guess they also showed footage of Patty Jenkin's Wonder Woman flick on that CW special tonight, and it looked fantastic. Well I mean, Patty Jenkins is directing so of course it's going to look good!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2016, 09:52:16 PM »
I think it looks a lot less enticing than I did when I thought of it years ago but I'm still going to catch it. Honestly the trailer is what made me just downright sour over it, that trailer ruined tons of hype for me and really hammered down the excited specifically because they were so blatantly beating us over the head with the "WE WANT YOU TO BE EXCITED FOR THIS REALLY EXCITING ACTION FILM!". I really, really, REALLY could have done without knowing who the big bad was and am honestly trying my best to forget it before the movie comes out but what's done is done. It'll still be cool. But what it's not going to be is what I dreamed of as a kid. That's alright as reality is never as it is in dreams.

I am excited more for the future of what comes next though, and/or who will be portraying the two in a film during an era where being super hardcore, dark, brooding and (god, this overused word) gritty isn't such an outplayed theme. It's just taken over. I get it, and sometimes I like it. I liked it a lot more when it was fresh...now it's stale. You can have a dark and adult theme without being so dang mopey. I digress.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2016, 01:36:24 AM »
I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to the DC universe, mainly because there's not the base of great films to stand on yet, something that Marvel has. Man of Steel was an OK start, but I'm not a fan of Zack Snyder and so my hopes for BvS are drastically lowered as a result, and with Suicide Squad, I just don't care that much for David Ayer as a director. These two films could both be great and I could have a completely different view going into the next set of films, but I'm more cautiously hopeful than all out excited, like with new Marvel films, X-Men films or Deadpool.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2016, 07:42:19 AM »
I was just never big into the DC Universe period.  I watch Justice League cartoons growing up, but that's about it.  I know nothing more other than their Tier 1 heroes.  I'm skeptical over how well they can pull all of this off or pull it together - it just feels so contrived and blatant to do a "me too" to what Marvel started 7 years ago.

I'll still go see the films, but by no means am I as jazzed about them like I am any of the Marvel movies.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2016, 08:04:54 AM »
I watched the special last night, but I'm not sure I feel any better after seeing what I saw.

The film on the DC schedule that I am most looking forward to is definitely Suicide Squad.  That looks pretty good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
Suicide Squad looks really awesome. The new trailer actually has me excited. I think this movie will save DC after what I'm thinking will be an average at best movie in BVS.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2016, 08:17:12 AM »
I watched the special last night, but I'm not sure I feel any better after seeing what I saw.

The film on the DC schedule that I am most looking forward to is definitely Suicide Squad.  That looks pretty good.

Agreed on both counts.  And that 'host'... Kevin something ... was annoying the shit out of me.  "Take my money, take all my money, take my kids college tuition".  What a jackass. His excitement over all of this seemed entirely disingenuous.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
I was always a DC guy, before Marvel started pwning it with their movies. I also grew up with the Justice League cartoon, which I loved, and still like. Spider-Man was the only marvel character I liked, and almost the only one I knew of.

I get the same desperate feeling as many others about the DC movie universe, but I'm really really hoping it will turn out well because these are the superhero characters I originally loved.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
Batman VS Superman looks like the most expensive fan film ever made.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
Definitely not the thread for you, not even the right thread considering that Batman/Superman is DC, not Marvel.  :P

@ TAC ... wrong company.  Take it to the DC thread.   :biggrin:  But no, neither of them is 'bad'... just different shades of good.  Might want to spend some time out from whatever rock you hide under if you're just hearing of this now.   :D :-*

:lol

Thanks guys.
I have no clue when it comes to this stuff.

So they're going to fight each other to prove who is the goodest?
That makes NO sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
That makes NO sense.
You're right, that makes no sense.  Which is why that is NOT why they are going to fight each other.

Have you seen Man of Steel?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »
That makes NO sense.
You're right, that makes no sense.  Which is why that is NOT why they are going to fight each other.

No definitely not.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2016, 10:19:36 AM »
Don't bother. Man Of Steel is atrocious.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
That makes NO sense.

No definitely not.
Then don't watch Batman v. Superman, it's a direct follow-up to Man of Steel.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2016, 10:29:18 AM »
I wasn't going to, but why are they fighting???

Did Superman insult Batman's mother on MOS?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2016, 10:31:19 AM »
To make a long story that you won't watch very short, Batman is upset with Superman over events that happened in Man of Steel (mass destruction and death).  He holds Superman responsible (rightly so, to a large extent) and wants to make him pay.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
To make a long story that you won't watch very short, Batman is upset with Superman over events that happened in Man of Steel (mass destruction and death).  He holds Superman responsible (rightly so, to a large extent) and wants to make him pay.

OK. That makes sense I guess. So Superman tore up Gotham City to stop a bad guy and Batman wants him to fix it?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »
Bruce Wayne is mad that one of the buildings that fell over was a Wayne building.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »
Don't bother. Man Of Steel is atrocious.

There are some shaky moments, but I think it's perfectly fine.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »

OK. That makes sense I guess. So Superman tore up Gotham City to stop a bad guy and Batman wants him to fix it?
Well, it was Metropolis, not Gotham, and Batman thinks the power to do such a thing makes Superman too powerful to let hang around, what with all the other destruction he could do any time he wants. 

Also, one of the buildings destroyed in Metropolis was a Wayne Industries building, so a number of lives lost in the destruction were employees/friends of Bruce Wayne, so it's also personal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »
So, and I'm being serious here..  Was Superman remorseful about killing innocent people? How did he react?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »
So, and I'm being serious here..  Was Superman remorseful about killing innocent people? How did he react?
I guess so.  It wasn't really address in the film to my memory, which was one of the complaints about the film.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »
Unless I'm forgetting something, Superman only killed one person... the main villain... and he was extremely and immediately remorseful.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2016, 11:51:18 AM »
Tim, you're like my son who comes into the middle of a conversation, that he's not interested in, and not a part of and asks "What did you say?"   :lol

Unless I'm forgetting something, Superman only killed one person... the main villain... and he was extremely and immediately remorseful.

Yeah, and I'm sure that all the office towers that crumbled were 100% empty, and no one was on the street with all the debris raining down.   ::)

Batman sees Superman as an alien being, callous, and has the ability to wipe out the human race. He's suspicious of his intents and motives.
Superman sees Batman as a vigilante, disregarding law and order.
Then the real bad guy shows up and they realize they need to team up to win.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »
Tim, you're like my son who comes into the middle of a conversation, that he's not interested in, and not a part of and asks "What did you say?"   :lol

Yeah, and I'm sure that all the office towers that crumbled were 100% empty, and no one was on the street with all the debris raining down.   ::)

Batman sees Superman as an alien being, callous, and has the ability to wipe out the human race. He's suspicious of his intents and motives.

Those deaths related to the destruction are attributed to Zod... not Superman.

The bolded is absolutely the plot of the upcoming movie. A shame it will be so predicable. Hopefully, it will be enjoyable regardless.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »
You can attribute them to Zod if you want.  But Zod was there because of Superman, and by taking part in the combat Superman is also culpable.  He was fighting and punching through buildings too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »

Huh? What did you say?

Ok thank you. I think that was the answer that I was looking for. Still doesn't make much sense.
What about Robin?
Does Batman have kryptonite in his belt?

Is the bad guy Luthor or The Penguin? Or do they team up to?  ;D ;D

Like I said, I saw the commercial the other night and could not process it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2016, 12:47:37 PM »
You can attribute them to Zod if you want.  But Zod was there because of Superman, and by taking part in the combat Superman is also culpable.  He was fighting and punching through buildings too.

Yes, he was fighting to save himself and the world. It's not like he initiated anything. It's fine if Batman or whoever else want to hold Superman responsible for the collateral damage, but if this was a court case, he'd get off on self defense.

Also, the alternative to Superman engaging Zod was for every human being to be killed in the process of Zod terraforming the planet.

What about Robin?

From what I've seen of the trailers for the upcoming films, this telling of the story doesn't bode well for Robin (or at least one of the Robins).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2016, 12:49:32 PM »
OK. I'm good guys. Thank you for your help. Carry on!!  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »

Yes, he was fighting to save himself and the world. It's not like he initiated anything. It's fine if Batman or whoever else want to hold Superman responsible for the collateral damage, but if this was a court case, he'd get off on self defense.

Yes, but this isn't a court case.  You are talking about two different perspectives.  Yours is the perspective of the objective movie viewer.  That perspective is irrelevant to the fictional average citizen in the DC movie universe that was witness to it all.  From their perspective, you had two aliens duking it out, and innocent bystanders being caught in the middle, some of whom died.  In the mind of MANY, that would make Superman culpable, just as Hef said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »
Ohhh TAC...you can't just bow out now. You've started something. DTF WILL FINISH IT.

:corn :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2016, 01:12:41 PM »

Yes, but this isn't a court case.  You are talking about two different perspectives.  Yours is the perspective of the objective movie viewer.  That perspective is irrelevant to the fictional average citizen in the DC movie universe that was witness to it all.  From their perspective, you had two aliens duking it out, and innocent bystanders being caught in the middle, some of whom died.  In the mind of MANY, that would make Superman culpable, just as Hef said.

Also, Superman could have made a lot more effort to move the fights away from population centers.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »

Also, Superman could have made a lot more effort to move the fights away from population centers.
Exactly, which he didn't.

Also, now that this destructive potential has been witnessed by the world - THAT is what Batman fears.  Superman has the power to destroy EVERYTHING, and what could anyone do about it?  Batman prefers not to just trust that Supes won't do it.  Because why should he?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
Exactly.  From all that the world can tell, a couple of aliens had an all out brawl with Metropolis as their 'ring', there was a shit-load of collateral damage, and no one really knows what Supe's deal is.  Given how cynical Batman naturally is, he's naturally going to take it upon himself to figure out what's what with Supe.  I really like the line "Do you bleed?  You will".  Kryptonite or not, Batman is ingenious and resourceful, and I have faith he can take care of shit.