Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128667 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The DC Movies Thread v JUSTICE
« Reply #980 on: November 15, 2017, 06:53:42 AM »
This does not surprise me given WB/DC track record.  I'd heard yesterday that WB was holding off the release of reviews.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #981 on: November 15, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
I'll assume now that JJ Abrams is involved moving forward after this movie the quality will improve.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #982 on: November 15, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
I'll assume now that JJ Abrams is involved moving forward after this movie the quality will improve.
when has that been said anywhere? First I've heard of it

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #983 on: November 15, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »
This does not surprise me given WB/DC track record.  I'd heard yesterday that WB was holding off the release of reviews.

WB? Emarbgo was lifted yesterday. Rotten Tomatoes is the one holding off their score, and not because the reviews are good or bad, it's because they want to release in conjunction with their new Facebook show "See It/Skip It."

Early reviews for Justice League look like we are in for another SS rather than WW.   :-[

I don't know about that. Most of the reviews I have read are mixed to good.

Variety: "The film is the definition of an adequate high-spirited studio lark: no more, no less. If fans get excited about it, that may mostly be because they’re excited about getting excited. Yet the movie is no cheat. It’s a tasty franchise delivery system that kicks a certain series back into gear."

New York Times: "Written by Chris Terrio and Joss Whedon, the new movie shows a series that’s still finding its footing as well as characters who, though perhaps not yet as ostensibly multidimensional as Marvel’s, may be more enduring (and golden). It has justice, and it has banter. And while it could have used more hanging out, more breeziness, it is a start"

USA Today: "A better effort than Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and a worthy follow-up to runaway hit Wonder Woman, Justice League (three out of four) does the DC icons proud with some high-profile additions and a strong if unspectacular effort full of fun character moments."

Chicago-Sun Times: "It’s a putting-the-band-together origins movie, executed with great fun and energy"

Just a few I checked out. Sounds like Justice League will be fun to see the characters on screen together, but it'll have another generic comic book villain and low stakes that seem to be this films demise. I highly doubt Snyder will be involved in any DC Universe Films that WB makes in the future.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #984 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:55 PM »
Yea the reviews haven't been bad. I've gotten a mix of "Meh" "fun, but empty" to "fun".

I'll go see it, but it's being described as basically the same level as a mid-tier Marvel movie. Which is an improvement, but not what Justice League really should be.

Look at Age of Ultron. It's probably about the same level if not higher than a mid-tier Marvel film, but is often called awful because The Avengers should be better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #985 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:00 AM »

WB? Emarbgo was lifted yesterday. Rotten Tomatoes is the one holding off their score, and not because the reviews are good or bad, it's because they want to release in conjunction with their new Facebook show "See It/Skip It."

Early reviews for Justice League look like we are in for another SS rather than WW.   :-[

I don't know about that. Most of the reviews I have read are mixed to good.

Reviews..

It's odd.  I'm from the UK and because of the time difference our reviews were up first, and that is what I was referring to yesterday.  The UK reviews have been terrible, while the reviews from the US have been better.   Maybe Marvel only paid off UK reviewers this time (I jest).  Anyway these were the reviews I was reading yesterday...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/15/justice-league-ben-affleck-dc-comics
*Justice League review – good, evil and dullness do battle - 2/5.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/justice-league-review-dc-batman-release-date-buy-tickets-critics-rotten-tomatoes-a8055666.html
*The most infantile of recent superhero yarns - 2/5

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/justice-league-review-dcs-superhero-embarrassment-beyond-saving/
*DC's superhero embarrassment is beyond saving - 1/5

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/justice-league/53389/justice-league-review
*Is Justice League the superhero event of 2017? No. Sadly, it isn’t. 2/5.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/justice-league/review/a843156/justice-league-review/
*The most tedious superhero movie yet.  2/5

I'm not just picking and choosing the bad ones, every single UK review (I found) yesterday was really negative!
I'm glad to see better reviews have turned up since!!  Somewhere round 50% on RT I'd guess?

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #986 on: November 16, 2017, 05:51:45 AM »
I saw it yesterday, and most reviews are spot on.

The bad:
- The story is super-thin, and the pacing is very choppy. This movie should have been at least 20 minutes longer, because the editing really shows.
- Some cgi is very apparent. Overall, the movie looks good though.
- The villain serves the plot purpose, but is very forgettable.
- One guys upper lip

The good:
- The characters are spot on! The Flash is a stand out. I really hope the Flashpoint movie happens.
- There is never really a dull moment. The pacing is choppy, but you are constantly entertained
- The return of a certain somebody is pretty damn rewarding, and the character has never been portrayed so good by Cavill before. I really want a new Superman-movie now!

I give this movie a 6,5 out of 10.
A good movie? No.
A entertaining movie? Definitely.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:10:01 AM by aurorablind »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #987 on: November 16, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »
I'm disappointed that Justice League is getting pretty negative reviews. The trailers made it look like it had potential. I was going to go see it tomorrow afternoon since I have the day off, but I don't think I'll spend the money now. I'll wait for it to come out on video.

Offline Adami

« Reply #988 on: November 16, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
Fan response to the movie will quickly become overwhelmingly positive, mostly as a reaction to the perceived negative reviews.

It'll go from "It's not bad" to "It's amazing! Nowhere near as awful as the critics said! It's fun and that's all I wanted"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #989 on: November 16, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
I saw it yesterday, and most reviews are spot on.

The bad:
- The story is super-thin, and the pacing is very choppy. This movie should have been at least 20 minutes longer, because the editing really shows.
- Some cgi is very apparent. Overall, the movie looks good though.
- The villain serves the plot purpose, but is very forgettable.
- One guys upper lip

The good:
- The characters are spot on! The Flash is a stand out. I really hope the Flashpoint movie happens.
- There is never really a dull moment. The pacing is choppy, but you are constantly entertained
- The return of a certain somebody is pretty damn rewarding, and the character has never been portrayed so good by Cavill before. I really want a new Superman-movie now!

I give this movie a 6,5 out of 10.
A good movie? No.
A entertaining movie? Definitely.

Similar observations a few friends of mine who are grips on the WB lot had.

Still not the result I wanted for Justice League  :-[

Then again, a movie with Batman and Superman being together on the big screen for the first time in their legendary literature, pop culture career should have been amazing as well.

I'll post my thoughts when I get back from the theater tonight

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #990 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »
My thoughts are very similar to aurorablinds.

It’s definitely not a perfect movie, but I enjoyed Justice League. The good and the bad aspects of the film doesn’t really outweigh one another. It’s balanced. The editing is choppy (not Suicide Squad choppy), but the movie could have used 20 more minutes to help make the story breathe.

And no, The Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman didn’t need their own origin film. Their backstories were sort of the heart of the team up, especially Cyborgs. The members of the Justice League were absolutely spot on, and the Ezra Miller iteration of The Flash is fantastic! Most importantly, people are going to leave the theater excited for the future films. I myself am stoked for the Aquaman standalone film next year!!!

Steppenwolf was another generic villain that any one of these heroes could have faced themselves in their own film, but he is far from being the worst superhero villain of all time.

Overall, I was entertained from the get go! If you’re looking for a brilliant storytelling platform, you’ll be disappointed, but if you just want to see a very superhero-y film that’s full of action, funny moments, and great chemistry from the Justice League members, then enjoy this 2hr escapism!

And yes, there is mid and post credit scenes that superhero fans are gonna love!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #991 on: November 17, 2017, 01:42:35 AM »
Saw it last night.  Sorry to say it's Suicide Squad again, all the same issues.  Bad editing, no plot, weird tonal shifts, bland villain.  The one thing it has over SS is the characters are mostly better - The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg are well realised to the big screen.  Gal is awesome as WW again (the real leader),  Batfleck looks bored though this time, in fact Bats is the big letdown character wise.

I'd rank it higher than SS because the characters are better, and probably a tad better than MoS and BvS because it's more fun (and shorter), but it's miles and miles away from the quality of WW.  It's just another poorly made film.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #992 on: November 17, 2017, 01:53:50 PM »
So I just watched it and I thought it was okay. There were some glaring issues (like choppy editing, way too much CGI and way too noticeable and some other things) but it was a more fun movie tone-wise and I enjoyed the team itself and thought they played off each other well and everyone kinda had their moment/purpose.

I don't think this is as bad as MoS, BvS or SS, but I also wouldn't say it's strong enough that the DCEU is on the right track. It's still a flawed movie, but at least it was mildly amusing unlike BvS or MoS, both just being dreadful. And let's not even talk about SS - possibly the worst movie I've ever had to sit through in the cinema.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #993 on: November 17, 2017, 10:09:28 PM »
It is neither a step back nor a step forward. A complete safe response to the public who bitched about the previous films.  If you didn't like BVS or SS, this is a pallet cleanser. This was Warners purging the last bit of Synder from the franchise so the edit feels choppy and some of the seems do show.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #994 on: November 19, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
Wow, 96 mil opening weekend. Not only does that pretty much put the nail in the coffin for the DCEU, but you start to wonder if they are gonna go into reboot mode right away or put out Aquaman first to try and get some money. Even so, I fully expect to hear about a rebooted universe within 6 months or so.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #995 on: November 19, 2017, 02:56:28 PM »
I seriously doubt they are gonna reboot. Aquaman has finished principle photography, and Patty Jenkins signed huge deal to make Wonder Woman 2 not too long ago.

I think the major problem in this case is over expectations and over enthusiasm for something that didn't have a guarantee of success because of the mixed results of the last few movies (with the exception of Wonder Woman). Warner Bros are putting too many cards on the table for something so uncertain.

In a perfect world, a Justice League movie should have opened with 200mill

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #996 on: November 20, 2017, 02:27:14 AM »
4 out of 5 movies in their universe received mixed reception, JL made 96 mil opening weekend which is shockingly low, and is looking at a 60-65% box office drop next weekend. Snyder is out, Batfleck is out and you gotta think they will pull the plug on the Shazam movie if Justice League can't even make 100 million opening weekend.

They might wait for Aquaman to make their final decision (if it turns out great maybe it can keep them afloat) but even so, it really looks dark.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #997 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:44 AM »
I was reading the Justice League needs to make $600 million just to break even. How is it possible they let the budget get that big on a movie franchise that has been met with mediocre response previously?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #998 on: November 20, 2017, 06:56:41 AM »
I was reading the Justice League needs to make $600 million just to break even. How is it possible they let the budget get that big on a movie franchise that has been met with mediocre response previously?

There's a bunch of intricate numbers of how it works but you got production budget + marketing (in the case of JL probably 300 mil) and then I believe theaters keep around half of the box office (as a fee for screening the movies) so then 600 mil earned quickly becomes 300 mil.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #999 on: November 20, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »

I'd expect it to end it's run somewhere round the $750-$850 worldwide range, based on the weekend takings.  This would have been ear marked as a film that should break the billion barrier, so not an utter disaster, but definitely a disappointment.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: November 20, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure where they are going to go from here if the movie is this much of a flop. I saw it the other night and found it dreadfully boring.  :-\

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1001 on: November 20, 2017, 09:35:24 AM »
They at least need a whole new creative team if not a complete reboot. I'd rather they salvage what has been done and just recast Batman and work with a new creative team to move forward with a new feel to the movies.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: November 20, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »
They at least need a whole new creative team if not a complete reboot. I'd rather they salvage what has been done and just recast Batman and work with a new creative team to move forward with a new feel to the movies.

I've read a theory that they might use Flashpoint as an excuse to change things up, and recast some parts.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1003 on: November 20, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »
It makes me sad that the DC films are being messed up so badly, apparently. I hope they just reboot it and eventually have their time in the sun not unlike Marvel has. I don't care about many DC characters (Marvel has lots of stinkers, too, though) but it's sad to see them constantly stumbling. It can't be a problem with the source material, right? Why didn't they just wait to make Justice League until the rest of the solo movies are done? That might actually make me interested in Cyborg, for example.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1004 on: November 20, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
So I saw it today, pretty average at best. There seems to be so much wasted potential with the characters, as others have pointed out, they seemed to rush into the Justice League thing for a cash grab without letting it develop like the MCU did. Oh well, I'll still go see whatever comes out. And here's hoping they at least continue developing the WW story, that one holds up well throughout the film, and I'd hate to see the potential cut short.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1005 on: November 21, 2017, 05:06:19 PM »
I’m going to sound like a broken record, but we don’t need every character to have their own movie before the team up. I’ll give you Aquaman maybe, but Flash and Cyborg’s story is the heart of Justice League film.

The movie didnt feel rushed because they were introducing three characters. The original run time for JL was 2hr and 35 mins, but WB higher ups decided to cut the additional minutes to make it under 2hrs. The movie felt rushed because of the editing job. They cut minutes of story that could have helped make the movie breathe a bit, and make the stakes bigger in regards to Steppenwolf. The JL members  developement is fine, amd realized.

You know, I see the same bad storytelling and editing jobs in certain Marvel Studios flicks, but are largely ignored because “its fun.” WB makes a DC film thats fun, but everyone wants to focus of the negatives. I like both DC and Marvel, but the double standards are clear, and it’s aggravating.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1006 on: November 21, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
I'm hopeful now that Zack Snyder is out that these movies will be more like Wonder Woman. I don't think these movies as bad as people say here but I do believe that they're not at the level that Marvel has done and that's what everybody's equating.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #1007 on: November 21, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »
I haven't heard anyone complaining that JL is bad because it's fun. And you're totally ignoring context. I think if Marvel had started their universe with Iron Man II, then made Thor 2, then made (well they have no movie as bad as Suicide Squad) before finally making Captain America First Avenger (Which is about where I put WW), and then came out with Avengers 2, people would be pretty let down by the whole thing. Context is very important. And just because some Marvel films have had issues in editing, pace, bad guys, doesn't mean DC is doing it the same way to the same level.

Also, people complain about Marvel movies all the time. Marvel fans included!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1008 on: November 21, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »
I'm just being Mr. Grumpy Pants today  :yeahright

Offline Adami

« Reply #1009 on: November 21, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »
I'm just being Mr. Grumpy Pants today  :yeahright

Going full DC, eh?

Sorry, couldn't resist. -bro hug-

Hopefully I'll see JL at some point soon. Maybe my low expectations will help.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: November 22, 2017, 05:43:39 AM »
I'm with Accelerando here, I don't think JL was as bad as people are saying. It does feel rusehd to me and I think it would have been better if they'd developed the characters a little more which makes me think an extended version with the half hour that was cut might make this movie better, which is something that happened with BvS. I also understand that superhero movies have a limited amount of time to succeed and that DC needs to catch up before the hype comes down. I fully expect the following movies to be better.

I also agree that lots of the things that are being criticized here get a pass for Marvel. I saw great reaction to Guardians 2 and to me that is the worst movie in the MCU by far and it suffered from a lot of the same things the DCU is suffering right now.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: November 22, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »
I honestly don't remember the last Marvel movie I saw that I knew I definitely wanted to see again. Maybe Winter Soldier? Most of them are kind of fun in the theater but then immediately forgettable. Guardians 2 was one of those. Nothing happened really, and all in all it felt kind of like a pointless movie. Maybe it's super hero fatigue or maybe Marbel's formula is getting stale, or maybe it's just a mix of everything.

I don't think there's any double standards even if you criticize the Marvel movies, JL still managed to be more boring than Age of Ultron. Characters' motivations weren't explored enough. Characters just do things. And things just happen because they are supposed to. The pacing was weird, and many scenes just felt pointless. The villain is one of the most forgettable in any of the modern super hero movies, which really is saying something although the villain from Iron Man II or III might take the cake.

I'll admit that this is only the second DCU movie I've seen (WW was the first, and it was pretty good), but I'm no Marvel fanboy either. Theirs are like the fast food of movies. Everything is predictable, lowest common denominator, take no chances, play it safe, you get exactly what you paid for without being too disappointed...but after like a decade, it starts to get kind of stale.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1012 on: November 25, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
At this point I go in to DC movies with high hopes but low expectations.

Overall, I enjoyed Justice League. It suffers from the same problem as all the other DC movies, which is that they start alright (except for Suicide Squad, which is just ass cancer all the way through) but then they just become too ridiculous towards the end/second half.

There were moments in there I enjoyed though. I like Flash, and always have, and thought he was fun here. Wonder Woman was really cool, that scene in the beginning where she saves the hostages had some really badass moments. In short, if there's an issue with the movie, it is in my opinion not with the characters. I thought they were all good.

Steppenwolf was really cool and actually interesting in his introduction scene, but sort of lost steam as the movie went on.

Angry Superman is actually pretty scary, and that scene was probably my favorite of the movie. Him slowly turning his head and looking at Flash mid speed-force was really cool.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1013 on: November 25, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »
It’s been out for a few weeks now, so I put the Spoiler warning in the thread title!

I was dying with that little eye dart Superman gave and Flash with that “Oh shit!” reaction  :lol

I’ve seen JL twice, and you are absolutly correct. The problem with this film isn’t the characters. The film was just cut poorly, and I sincerely believe the film would have been better recieved in Warner Brothers didnt mandate the 2hr experience. The additional footage that was cut probably would have made the story tighter.

But also, as my friend pointed out, what benefitted the Avengers was sorely missing in JL. Phase 1 built up the stakes to make The Avengers a successful event movie with the hydra weapons and Loki. There was no mention of Steppenwolf or the Mother Boxes (besides from Cyborgs 10second cameo in Dawn of Justice). While I still stand by my opinion that not all the characters needed to have their own solo film before JL, the film could have benefited from exploring what the Mother Boxes are all about leading up to it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DC Movies Thread v JUSTICE ( SPOILERS!!!)
« Reply #1014 on: November 26, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
We saw JL this weekend and really enjoyed it. I thought it was way better than the reviews and the list of complaints would lead you to believe. That may be because my expectations were so low, though.  :lol

*Spoiler warning*

One thing I was really glad to see was that they really showed us why Supe's character must have the gee-golly-gosh-goody-two-shoes Clark moral compass...because he is just way too scary and powerful without it. This is what was missing from MoS and BvsS. I thought it was a nice touch that even Bruce Wayne got in on the Clark bandwagon when he told Alfred that Superman is more human that Bruce himself.

Flash was great and, of course, WW was fantastic...again, I like that Bruce basically told her to "shit, or get off the pot."

It could have been better, and that makes me VERY interested to see an extended cut (or director's cut, as the case may be), but I was entertained and even wowed, at time, by the action.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens