Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128677 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The DC Movies Thread v Wonder Gal
« Reply #945 on: September 27, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
I'm a huge batman fan and found the Lego Batman Movie to rather unfunny. I appreciated the nods to the deeper batman universe but overall I found the film to be dull.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #946 on: September 27, 2017, 12:33:29 PM »
Oh man, I loved Lego batman. The middle/end dragged on a bit, but over all I thought it was great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #947 on: October 08, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
Pretty much tired of super hero movies, not gonna lie but since Wonder Woman seems to get high praise I might give it a watch. If nothing else atleast I get to watch the stunning Gal Gadot.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

« Reply #948 on: October 08, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »
Pretty much tired of super hero movies, not gonna lie but since Wonder Woman seems to get high praise I might give it a watch. If nothing else atleast I get to watch the stunning Gal Gadot.

Don't expect an amazing movie. It's good, really good at times, but don't expect a truly amazing movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #949 on: October 08, 2017, 08:53:24 PM »

Don't expect an amazing movie. It's good, really good at times, but don't expect a truly amazing movie.

Yeah, I mean... it's not Green Lantern or anything.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #950 on: October 14, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
Can't wait to see this movie about a bunch of heroes having to assemble unite to defend earth from an evil space emperor who's using a powerful proxy to attack with a huge faceless CGI army.....directed by Joss Whedon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #951 on: October 14, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »
Can't wait to see this movie about a bunch of heroes having to assemble unite to defend earth from an evil space emperor who's using a powerful proxy to attack with a huge faceless CGI army.....directed by Joss Whedon.

I made a comment very similar on Youtube, and was corrected by a handful of DC marks on how Justice League did all that first in the comics.

Offline Adami

« Reply #952 on: October 23, 2017, 10:34:12 PM »
So apparently Justice League will be 2 hours with credits, so less than 2 hours of film.

This makes it the shortest DCEU film to date. Odd choice. I think Joss made Ultron much shorter than it should have been too. Maybe it's just a concise story?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #953 on: October 23, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
I hope so.. just a thought:

The Avengers 1 is about 140 minutes, and it's pretty much perfect, and they didn't need to introduce a single new superhero character. They even had the villain and the Tesseract properly introduced in previous films.

JL needs to properly introduce three new main characters, bring them together to form a team, set up the backstory of Apokolips and the motherboxes, introduce the villain and explain the return of Superman. Two hours seems short!

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #954 on: October 24, 2017, 03:31:47 AM »
I hope so.. just a thought:

The Avengers 1 is about 140 minutes, and it's pretty much perfect, and they didn't need to introduce a single new superhero character. They even had the villain and the Tesseract properly introduced in previous films.

JL needs to properly introduce three new main characters, bring them together to form a team, set up the backstory of Apokolips and the motherboxes, introduce the villain and explain the return of Superman. Two hours seems short!

Dare I say it all sounds a bit Suicide Squad?

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #955 on: October 24, 2017, 03:50:50 AM »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #956 on: October 24, 2017, 04:18:35 AM »
So apparently Justice League will be 2 hours with credits, so less than 2 hours of film.

This makes it the shortest DCEU film to date. Odd choice. I think Joss made Ultron much shorter than it should have been too. Maybe it's just a concise story?

I'm on board for a shorter movie!

We don't need to see the complete backstories for Flash, Cyborg or Aquaman. Just a quick explanation why they are there and how they fit into the story. Leave the backstories for later. Cut out all the unnecessary expanded DCEU references, and i think it will be just fine..

But still, i refuse to get excited for Justice League. Because this is still essentially a Snyder clusterfuck, that Wheadon has tried to clean up. I'm much more interested in the DC movies that are coming after this, like Wonder Woman 2, and the new Batman movie.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #957 on: October 24, 2017, 04:46:04 AM »
The one I'm most excited for is definitely Aquaman. From what I have heard, the production has gone smoothly. They wrapped it last week!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #958 on: October 27, 2017, 06:14:11 PM »
Zachery Levi is Captain Marvel in Shazam!

Offline Adami

« Reply #959 on: October 27, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
DC usually has a good casting record, minus Lex Luthor and The Joker, but this is just an odd choice.

Honestly it feels like The Rock should have been Captain Marvel, and someone else as Black Adam.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:37:10 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #960 on: October 28, 2017, 01:03:35 PM »
The Rock was casted two years ago  :lol He might as well have been. But I think Levi can pull off the whole 12 yr old in a god's body  pretty well.

As far as Justice League being under a shy under 2hrs...im fine with it! We don't always need superhero films to be 2 1/2 hours. The first X-Men was an 1hr and 45 mins, and despite the special effects not up to par to today's standards, it was a well paced film with a lot of characters at play. Moreso than Justice League. Not everyone who wasn't Wolverine, Magneto, or Rogue had a backstory in that film, and if they did, it was enough information to just keep the story going.

I think the MCU has really hammered the "EVERYONE NEEDS THEIR OWN MOVIE" mind set that people are getting too nitpicky about who is going to show up on screen. 17 years ago, people would be losing their minds just to see the Flash on screen. Now people are complaining he's in Justice League because he didn't get a standalone first??  Get outta here :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: October 28, 2017, 03:27:40 PM »
Yeah well... 17 years ago we also lost our shit over Star Wars Ep1, but now we know better.

I agree that they don't always have to be 2 1/2 hours, but to aurora's point, there's a lot to get accomplished in this movie.  Sure, Flash and Aquaman don't need a backstory history lesson - they've been iconic for decades.  But everything else that aurora mentioned is valid imo.

Frankly, it's DC, so I'm stepping over my expectations as I walk in the theatre.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #962 on: October 28, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
Also X-Men and JL are two different dynamics. X-Men are a team that, as of the first movie, were well established and together for years and years (minus Rogue and Logan). They tend to attack covertly and deal with smaller threats (in the first movie at least).

JL is about them all coming together for the first time. That takes a ton of time. Then they have to deal with a dude literally trying to take over the entire world. It's just a very different thing they're doing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #963 on: October 29, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »
Frankly, it's DC, so I'm stepping over my expectations as I walk in the theatre.

I think your tune will change now that WB  has now created a DC Films division and has someone in charge in overseeing the whole movie Universe, especially when it's Geoff Johns. There's lots to be excited about!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #964 on: October 30, 2017, 01:26:39 AM »

I think your tune will change now that WB  has now created a DC Films division and has someone in charge in overseeing the whole movie Universe, especially when it's Geoff Johns. There's lots to be excited about!

Still, Geoff Johns has yet to prove if he can handle this Kevin Feige- esque position. But it's good to have one person steer the ship, and not have to worry about a boardroom thinktank.

MCU has made it this far, only because Kevin Feige has kept a short leash over the different projects under the MCU banner.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #965 on: October 30, 2017, 02:12:22 AM »
The first movie Johns was directly involved with was Wonder Woman, so that is a good sign.
I think the clips that has been released looks pretty promising, only a bit CGI-heavy. The cast looks great, and the story seems like it's taking a lot of cues from the new 52 storyline (only swapping out Darkseid with Steppenwolf).
It doesn't need to be the best movie ever, I just want it to be solid.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: October 30, 2017, 04:53:20 AM »

If you say so!

The first movie Johns was directly involved with was Wonder Woman, so that is a good sign.
It doesn't need to be the best movie ever, I just want it to be solid.

On your first point, I'm reminded of the saying that when something happens once, it's an event; twice it's a coincidence; three times and it's a trend.  One good movie does not signal anything.  But I agree on your second point completely.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #967 on: November 06, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »
I LOVE this clip with Batman telling the Flash how to hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mgp4AvZPHY&feature=youtu.be

Offline Adami

« Reply #968 on: November 06, 2017, 05:48:54 PM »

I'm so confused. Flash was being a vulnerable human being? Batman was being inspirational?

This is a DCEU movie???
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #969 on: November 06, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »

I'm so confused. Flash was being a vulnerable human being? Batman was being inspirational?

This is a DCEU movie???

Ha! If Wonder Woman showed anything, is that the Geoff Johns era of DCEU is going to be slightly lighter on tone, and not take itself too seriously.

I'm also curious about the changes Joss Whedon made in the reshoots to help reflect that, if any changes were needed. Even before BVS was released, Snyder said Justice League would be tonally lighter

Offline Adami

« Reply #970 on: November 06, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
Well that's a start. They also need better stories and just better quality movies. Even Wonder Woman kind of fell apart at the end. Luckily the first 2/3 were good enough that people kind of ignored the computer game ending.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline aurorablind

Re: The DC Movies Thread v JUSTICE
« Reply #971 on: November 07, 2017, 01:35:00 AM »
There's a bunch of other clips as well, including a clip of Steppenwolf fighting the team. It looks pretty fucking badass IMO!
The other clips are great as well. Im cautiously optimistic at this point.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #972 on: November 10, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
So, the social media-embargo has lifted. People seems to really enjoy Justice League! "A worthy follow-up to WW" and "Miles better than BvS".

Oh the hype is real!!  :D :D :D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #973 on: November 10, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
I'm intrigued and will see it at some point but no matter how I try I can't shake this feeling they're totally rushing it by already introducing the JL and Steppenwolf and all this cosmic mayhem before each of the JL team has their own movie out. Regardless, it's awesome to hear it's better than Bat v Supes. I'm still trying to get the bad taste out of my mouth from that mess.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #974 on: November 10, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
According to these reviews, Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg not having a solo film before JL is a non-issue.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #975 on: November 10, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
To me it's a small issue, because Cyborg and Flash are totally lame superheroes imo and I'd like to see how badass they can make them in a standalone movie to get an idea of what they'll bring to the team. But that's just me. Hopefully the movie does indeed rawk.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #976 on: November 10, 2017, 11:45:29 AM »
In the DC reddit forum they have counted the twitter-reviews by professional critics so far:

Number of Positive (Including Mixed Positive Reactions): 26
Number of Mixed Reactions: 4
Number of Negative Reactions: 1

Everyone says that it's flawed and messy in parts, but so much fun that it doesn't hurt the film.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #977 on: November 10, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »
Everyone says that it's flawed and messy in parts, but so much fun that it doesn't hurt the film.

So basically it's a Marvel Studios film  :lol :xbones
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:34:36 PM by Accelerando »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #978 on: November 11, 2017, 01:48:03 AM »
I won't be getting on the hype train for Justice League for obvious reasons, but i did listen the Danny Elfman's soundtrack for the movie!

It'a wonderful! Classic Elfman.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #979 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:53 AM »
Early reviews for Justice League look like we are in for another SS rather than WW.   :-[
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:53:23 AM by soupytwist »