Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 130041 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Wonder Gal
« Reply #875 on: May 24, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »
If a corporation makes $40bn net one year and $35bn net the next year - they look at it as a $5bn loss.

Even though they made $35bn - it would still be " a disappointment ".

That's the business talking and not the actual figures.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #876 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
Gonna be seeing Wonder Woman at an early screening tomorrow night, so I'm pretty excited for that! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #877 on: May 26, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »
Jealous!!!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #878 on: May 27, 2017, 08:14:09 PM »
Just got back from seeing Wonder Woman- and I gotta say, this film just won back a ton of good will for the DCEU imo. I'm still pretty iffy on how Justice League will turn out, but goddamn Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot nailed it with WW.

Best DC film since The Dark Knight in 2008, imo. The only film that rivals it for that title is The Lego Batman Movie.

Honestly, WW just needs to be pretty good to be getting the praise it's getting.

It's like if you had a bunch of siblings who dropped out of highschool and became drug addicts. If you bring home a B on your report card, you're going to get "MY BOY'S A GENIUS!" remarks.

The most I've seen is that it was good, better than the other DCEU stuff (not too hard) and was often compared to Captain America: First Avenger, which was also...good, not great.

That's largely because the film has a lot of similarities to First Avenger in terms of its content (i.e. period piece origin story set during one of the World Wars, an optimistic protagonist wanting to do their part to help better the world from a terrible war, etc).

IMO, Wonder Woman is considerably better. It's not the absolute best superhero film ever, but it's a top notch origin story film and by far the best film in the DCEU to date.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:27:50 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #879 on: May 28, 2017, 04:01:26 AM »
Good to hear!  :tup

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #880 on: May 28, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »
Good to hear!  :tup

It's good to report too! :tup

If I had to make any comparisons in terms of overall quality, I'd probably say Wonder Woman is in a similar ballpark to Batman Begins.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #881 on: May 30, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »
The embargo has been lifted, and Wonder Woman is generating mostly positive reviews!  :metal

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #882 on: May 30, 2017, 12:35:34 AM »
So, the embargo for WW has been lifted, and I couldn't help but watch a couple of reviews.

Everyone seems to really, really like it. As of now, after 47 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, it has a score of 95. The hype is ON! Seeing it this thursday!  :metal

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #883 on: May 30, 2017, 12:39:03 AM »
95%???

I guess its safe to say that the rumors that Disney is paying off the critics is false  :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #884 on: May 30, 2017, 01:55:28 AM »
95%???

I guess its safe to say that the rumors that Disney is paying off the critics is false  :lol

Yeah it's almost like if DC made a good film it'll get good reviews - who'd have thought it :)

I prefer Marvel, it's simply what I grew up on - but the DC putting out good movies can only be a good thing, I look forward to seeing Wonder Woman and hope this is the start of a good run for DC.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #885 on: May 30, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
95%???

Yeah it's almost like if DC made a good film it'll get good reviews - who'd have thought it :)

I prefer Marvel, it's simply what I grew up on - but the DC putting out good movies can only be a good thing, I look forward to seeing Wonder Woman and hope this is the start of a good run for DC.

^ This.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #886 on: May 30, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »
Well, more broadly I would argue that plenty of good movies have had bad reviews and mediocre reviews had great reviews. But that's by the by. :P

Glad to hear WW is being so well received! Hope it translates into a strong box office performance.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #887 on: May 31, 2017, 05:26:20 AM »
Finally a good film in de DC spectrum of comic book films! Has been way too long. I look forward seeing it, I thought BvS and especially Suicide Squad were awful trainwrecks. Man of Steel was decent, but dissapointing. I already kind of wrote of WW because of it, but it seems this one actually has the quality.

I think this film needed the positive buzz, because I am not convinced WW is well known amongst us Europeans (or at least the Netherlands).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: May 31, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »
Man of Steel was ok up until the final 40 mins.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #889 on: May 31, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
Yeah, Man of Steel had a hiccup here and there in the first two parts (most notably that tornado death scene), but it really got messy once it got into those last forty minutes.

Wonder Woman's third act also slides into big CGI action fest, as with most any superhero film these days, but it's also intertwined with some pretty important character stuff and a rather emotional sequence that I think was really well done.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #890 on: May 31, 2017, 07:26:42 PM »
Wonder Woman has now jumped the rating to 97 on RT. That makes it the highest rated live action Superhero film on RT. The Incredibles is also rated 97. The Dark Knight is 94. Spider-Man 2 is 93.

And speaking of Man of Steel, I will always defend Supes decision to kill Zod

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #891 on: May 31, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »
Wonder Woman has now jumped the rating to 97 on RT. That makes it the highest rated live action Superhero film on RT. The Incredibles is also rated 97. The Dark Knight is 94. Spider-Man 2 is 93.

It's also brand new. It'll drop to a reasonable score eventually.

I'll see the movie at some point, but I wonder how much "it's a good movie" is being confused with "it's an amazing movie" simply because of the other DCEU movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #892 on: May 31, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
We shall see. But the few reviews that I have read don't even mention or compare the other DCEU flicks

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #893 on: May 31, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
Lebanon has banned the film. No word on why but people are suspecting because Gadot is Israeli born and served in the Israeli army

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #894 on: May 31, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »
Lebanon has banned the film. No word on why but people are suspecting because Gadot is Israeli born and served in the Israeli army

Well yea, it's because she's Israeli.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #895 on: May 31, 2017, 11:51:54 PM »

It's also brand new. It'll drop to a reasonable score eventually.

I'll see the movie at some point, but I wonder how much "it's a good movie" is being confused with "it's an amazing movie" simply because of the other DCEU movies.
There's probably a bit of that. But in fairness, the DCEU has also had a lot of confusion between "it's not a very good movie" and "it's a total disaster" because of MCU and the Dark Knight trilogy, so that would even it out slightly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #896 on: June 01, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »
I just saw WW! It's really, really good! One of the action-sequences is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Gal Gadot kills it  :metal Tons of fun, lots of heart  :heart
They should just drop the whole extended universe thing and give her her own trilogy of movies.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #897 on: June 02, 2017, 12:19:08 AM »
I too just came back from the viewing. To say it's the best movie in the DC Extended Universe doesn't do it justice, because it's one of the most special films of both DC, Marvel, and the entire Superhero movie genre. I was completely wowed the entire movie; of how beautifully shot it was, how masterfully the fantasy elements were woven in with gritty World War I, and how good and thorough Patty Jenkins was in building the title character. Oh, and Gal Gadot - killed it! She is Wonder Woman. She's fierce and graceful. Jenkins really got the best from her actors, which has one of my favorite Chris Pine performances.

It should set the tone for the DCEU. There was the maturity we know that comes with DC,  but it was a lot of fun as well. The humor wasn't forced, and came naturally.

That No Mans Land sequence is one of the best Superhero action ever  :tup

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #898 on: June 02, 2017, 02:13:39 AM »
Man of Steel was ok up until the final 40 mins.

Worst thing about Man of Steel in Henry Cavill - he's got the look, but he is dreadful as both Superman and Clark.  It's odd because he can be a decent enough actor, but here (and Bats vs Supes) he's a complete charisma vacuum.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: June 02, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »
Purchased tickets for tonight. Mrs. P and I are going for sushi and WW, my feminist cred just got a bit of a rise.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #900 on: June 02, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
I really hope we get another Patty Jenkins installment. What she did was WONDERful

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: June 03, 2017, 06:33:25 AM »
Mrs. P and I really loved it. Strangely, the film was similar in palette with the rest of the DCEU (so it feels like it belongs) but it was worlds different in tone, in the best way possible. Gal Gadot wears the mantle so comfortably it's mesmerizing. She looked more alien in an evening dress, which is really weird if you think about it. I love that while they added humor it wasn't a carbon copy of Marvel style. They stuck with situational humor which really flowed naturally considering the culture clash of the story.  Anyway, I think it's the best Superhero film in years.

I also enjoyed watching in the presence of a crowd of women. They are quieter and smell better. I kid you not, the audience was easily 75% women. Many mothers and daughters. There were several women and girls out front of the cinema getting their picture taken in front of the giant banner of WW. My wife shed a few tears as she watched a mother and little girl (in full costume) smile brightly for the camera. It was actually quite moving.

I really hope we get another Patty Jenkins installment. What she did was WONDERful

:iagree:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #902 on: June 03, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
Just saw it. They did a great job, probably best of DC so far (I'm not a Nolanite).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: June 03, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
I loved Chris Nolan until Interstellar. Thought it was very patchy and his new cinematographer is terrible.

I have absolutely no interest in Dunkirk and thought The Dark Knight had too many plots going on.

I think he peaked with Inception and has fallen way short since.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #904 on: June 03, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
What a fantastic movie.  Real emotion from this film. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #905 on: June 03, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
Saw it.  They nailed it.   It's as good as the greatest Marvel movies.   

The Dark Knight is still the greatest superhero movie that has ever been made.   But this along with The Avengers and Civil War are in that 2nd tier.

I'm also going to copy/paste a point I made about the character and how it relates to the pro-feminism message surrounding the film from another online thread.

The battle rages on that "men accuse all power women of being 'angry feminists' because blah blah blah". The fact is, there are too many angry people on BOTH sides of the argument, and angry people rarely get their true point across.

Diana was powerful and confident *without* being a constantly angry person (although I understand she did display anger when it was appropriate). I can't think of a single confident male that would be upset with a powerful and confident woman like Diana....only angry males would be upset because, well, they're angry. But even normal males will get fed up with an *angry* and confident woman because people who are constantly angry at everything (from either gender) are not threatening....they're tiresome. The director, and everyone else involved with this movie GOT IT RIGHT. It was an amazing movie and the character *absolutely nailed* that perfect balance of confidant without feeling like she had to bully everyone into giving her respect. And yes.....too many women feel like they have to "bully back to the bullies" in order to get respect. That doesn't work. It just creates more bullies.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #906 on: June 05, 2017, 12:00:15 AM »
That No Man's Land scene is a classic. Some of the best Superhero action. Her lasso play was great!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #907 on: June 05, 2017, 01:17:18 AM »
I enjoyed it too.  I thought the first half could have been a little better, the island section was quite slow and full of exposition and the London section probably could have done with a little less obvious 'fish outta water' comedy.  But once they hit the 'front' it got good, real good.    Good acting by most of the core cast - Gadot and Pine were real good together.   Thewlis was a bit to hammy for my liking, but nothing to really spoil the film.

7.5 Outta 10 for me.  Easily the best DC cinema universe film.

Logan, Guardians 2 and now Wonder Woman - Comicbook fans are being spoiled this year.  (please let Spider-man be good).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #908 on: June 05, 2017, 04:24:11 AM »
How could they do a less obvious "fish out of water " when the character never took a step off the island ever?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #909 on: June 05, 2017, 04:49:43 AM »
How could they do a less obvious "fish out of water " when the character never took a step off the island ever?

Fair point.  ;D