Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 130665 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Squad Goals
« Reply #735 on: August 16, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »
Come on people, we're talking a comic book movie here, it's not like it's going to win an Oscar.

To me, that is no reason to settle for mediocrity.
Me, either.

Doesn't matter what kind of film you are making.  Any kind of film can be made well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #736 on: August 16, 2016, 03:33:26 PM »
I have seen Bat.v. Sup in theater. Then the ultimate edition. I have been a big critic of it .More I watch it, I realize it is not really that bad. Finally did a movie night with my twin 10 year old sons. They loved it. In a weird way..........I looked at the movie in a different way. It is not as horrible as I have had feelings on. Guess to each their own. But I think they can roll with it if they get a good story. Affleck is a smart dude. If the studio gives him some sort of control, they may be able to wonders with the Batman/Superman/Justice League/universe.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #737 on: August 16, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
I have seen Bat.v. Sup in theater. Then the ultimate edition. I have been a big critic of it .More I watch it, I realize it is not really that bad. Finally did a movie night with my twin 10 year old sons. They loved it. In a weird way..........I looked at the movie in a different way. It is not as horrible as I have had feelings on. Guess to each their own. But I think they can roll with it if they get a good story. Affleck is a smart dude. If the studio gives him some sort of control, they may be able to wonders with the Batman/Superman/Justice League/universe.

I saw the Ultimate Edition recently and I think I actually liked it less. Yes, 2 or so things were explained a little more, but not to any amount of satisfaction. The rest of the movie is still pretty terrible, in my opinion of course.

With the exception of Batman's warehouse fight scene, most other non-dream-state Batman scenes, and Wonder Woman's 10 minutes of screen time.

I have to give DCEU credit for being able to sprinkle in hope for future movies among their other ones. I didn't like Man of Steel, BvS or Suicide Squad, but for some reason, I'm still excited for Wonder Woman and especially The Flash.

Also, apparently Jared Leto is pretty pissed at WB about his treatment there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:32:16 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #738 on: August 20, 2016, 12:14:05 AM »
Okay, so went and watched Suicide Squad last night..

My expectations couldn't have been lower, i was preparing for the worst. Guess what? I didn't hate it.

Negatives first:

You can clearly see that the WB-executives panicked after the results of BvS, and the final cut seemed like a desperate attempt to lighten up the mood. I'd say something like 30% of the jokes worked for me, and the other 70% fell completely flat. I'm sure, that the jokes that fell flat for me are from the reshoots. Also some of the dialogue was very cringe-worthy.

I couldn't care less about Enchantress and Incubus as the villains. I would have liked to see Enchantress in a better movie, but that is not going to happen now.

Stuff with Harley and Joker was the most interesting part with the movie, but there were huge chunks taken out of that. So it felt very disconnected from the rest of the movie.

Positives:

The performances from everyone involved, were spot on. You can see that David Ayer knows how to direct a large group of actors, and direct them well. The group chemistry also hit home for me.

I'm not completely sold on Leto as the Joker and he has very little to do here, but it's a solid start and he can improve in the future.

The jokes that did work for me, worked very well. Jai Courtney was funny as hell. Overall i had enough fun with the movie, that i can look past some of the flaws in the film.

It's not the Suicide Squad movie i wanted to see, but i had a good time overall. Haven't seen the BvS Extended cut, but this is better than BvS theatre cut.

6.5/10

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #739 on: September 15, 2016, 02:03:58 AM »
Anyone seen this? The new "tactical suit" for the Justice League movie.

People are slamming it for looking too much like Nightowl in the Watchmen movies.
Personally it doesnt bother me. From the neck down it looks like something from the Arkham Series. The goggles are kind of wierd, but I guess we'll see what purpose they have in the movie.
I think the suit would have been perfect if they went for the glowing eyes-thing they did with the armored suit in BvS.

What do you guys think?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #740 on: September 15, 2016, 04:03:29 AM »
People can complain 24/7.  Thank you Internet.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #741 on: September 15, 2016, 06:49:24 AM »
I don't know.  It definitely resembles the character from Watchmen.

It's hard to say anything good about it without seeing it in action, or knowing the need of it.  It may be needed, I don't know.  But without that knowledge, it looks like "trying to be edgy and different for the sake of being edgy and different".

One of the (few) things done right in BvS was the look of Batman.  I just don't know why they would try to make a change.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #742 on: September 17, 2016, 02:13:29 PM »
Happy Batman Day ya'll! From Adam West to Kevin Conroy to Batfleck - May he always be the hero that we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

Speaking of Kevin Conroy, I recently watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm the other day. Might have been the best Batman movie before the Christopher Nolan films

Online Adami

« Reply #743 on: September 17, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »
I recently watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm the other day. Might have been the best Batman movie before the Christopher Nolan films

I can categorically prove that it is, in fact, not the best Batman movie.

Did it have shark repellent? Exactly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #744 on: September 17, 2016, 02:23:59 PM »
 :lol Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb

I assume you know about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R1Q8U80fQI

Online Adami

« Reply #745 on: September 17, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »
I would pay good money for a dark gritty remake of the 60's Batman movie.

I don't mean rewrite it. Oh no. I just want all modern style effects, modern dark gritty costume designs and settings with actors giving dark gritty performances (basically I want it to look exactly like a modern DC movie) but keep the exact same script, word for word, of the original.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #746 on: September 17, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
Dude that Shark scene would be lit   :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: September 17, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
Dude that Shark scene would be lit   :rollin

Online Adami

« Reply #748 on: October 31, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »
So The Flash just lost its director.

Not sure if it's important or not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: October 31, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
Looking at the movies he's directed, I'm OK with it Adami.

Now, I hope you all have shark repellant spray in your utility belt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #750 on: November 01, 2016, 07:47:37 AM »
So The Flash just lost its director.

Not sure if it's important or not.
Pretty sure it's not important to ME.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #751 on: November 01, 2016, 01:00:27 PM »
I don't love Man of Steel of Dawn of Justice, and I think Suicide Squad is trash, but for some reason I have been super hyped about the Justice League movie lately. I just want to see it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #752 on: November 01, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »
I also want to see it.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #753 on: November 01, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
It's just exciting that we're finally going to get a Justice League film. There's been a few times that a JLA movie has been in development, most famously the George Miller film that starred Arnie Hammer as Batman. It only took WB to create a movie universe for DC Comics. It's amusing that just like The Avengers was created after the success of Justice League of America comics, the DC Extended Universe was created after the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I don't want to start a DC vs Marvel thing, because my god, what a time it is to be alive and to be a comic book fan.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #754 on: November 03, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
New Wonder Woman trailer! Looks great  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8fG0TtVAY

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #755 on: November 04, 2016, 05:23:56 AM »
I'm not as sold as most people on WW. One moment it looks like a serious movie dealing with war and the consequences of it, and then it goes full on Xena warrior princess.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: November 04, 2016, 06:41:40 AM »
But she is a warrior princess. :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #757 on: November 04, 2016, 08:53:25 AM »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #758 on: November 05, 2016, 07:47:24 AM »
But she is a warrior princess. :lol

Sure but the tone still feels off. You don't make a dark & serious tone about Xena. But I'm also worried because Gal Gadot is not a great actress and in every scene of the trailer she looks confused. It's one thing to appear in limited scenes in a team-movie and do well and another to carry your own movie.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: November 05, 2016, 07:15:29 PM »
Of all the DC movies I'm not too worried about this one.  I can't tell you why.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #760 on: November 07, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
Of all the DC movies I'm not too worried about this one.  I can't tell you why.
It's because even though she is one of the Big 3, she is definitely 3rd out of 3, so if it sucks it doesn't matter as much as the other 2 sucking.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: November 07, 2016, 10:08:37 AM »
I understand your thought process but this is really the first treatment as a lead for Wonder Woman.  That should make anyone worried but I'm not.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #762 on: November 07, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »
I could see the reasoning because Zack Snyder isn't behind the camera so this movie could theoretically benefit from that. I hope the movie wins me over. I'm really not interested in Wonder Woman or her own movie, but I'm also that dumb guy who goes and sees every superhero movie so this will be no different. Maybe it will win me over, maybe it won't. I think the trailers have been fine so far, I'm not as sold on them as a lot of people, but they also haven't been that bad either so.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #763 on: November 07, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »
I haven't seen the other DCU films in theaters, and I won't see that one in theater either.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: November 07, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
What else is weird is that 2 trailers have been released and the movis is what, 8 months still out?  That feelsounds like a mistake to me. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #765 on: November 10, 2016, 02:49:58 AM »
What else is weird is that 2 trailers have been released and the movis is what, 8 months still out?  That feelsounds like a mistake to me.

It's a consequence of BvS and Suicide Squad's negative reception. They're putting out the Wonder Woman trailers as fast as they can to shift focus from "boy those movies were bad" to "look, this one will be better". Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it is indeed very early to have put out 2 trailers. They risk over-exposing people to the point where we have seen the movie before it comes out (from 5 trailers) or they risk the buzz dying off before the movie comes out. But it is very much their response to how people responded to BvS and SS.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #766 on: November 10, 2016, 03:53:37 AM »
I have this strong feeling that the WW movie will be fine. Not especially good, not especially bad, just "eh, it was fine".

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #767 on: November 17, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
I just saw Suicide Squad - The Extended Edition.
The original version is a 6/10 IMO. I give the extended version 6.3/10. Some cool extra scenes, but they didn't really do anything to make the movie better.

Online Adami

« Reply #768 on: November 17, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
I saw that extra scene of Dr. Quin..whatever chase down Joker on the motorcycle?

Oh god, it was awful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #769 on: November 28, 2016, 08:07:45 AM »
Finally saw Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

I cried on the inside.  What I saw on screen were largely NOT the characters I loved from my comic-collecting days.  Although Wonder Woman was pretty cool.