Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 130122 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Squad Goals
« Reply #700 on: August 10, 2016, 04:17:12 AM »
It was hilarious when they tried to justify the squad going up against the Enchantress and Incubus. Incubus was blasting things with his death tentacles all movie, but when the "heroes" are close and within his range HE STARTS KICKING THEM! Incredibly funny in all the worst ways. Same thing with Enchantress. "Enough!" and then snatches away all their weapons. Could she have done that all along? Was she fighting them earlier just for fun? Doesn't seem like something she'd do.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #701 on: August 10, 2016, 04:49:48 AM »
I know some people said that about Avengers, like "what's Black Widow and Hawk Eye gonna do against aliens?" but in Suicide Squad it was far worse because most of them had no powers and should have been useless. I could see the need for Pyro, maybe even Deadshot. But really, Harley Quinn with her bat and Captain Boomerang with his boomerang, that's what you're sending against a witch?

My opinion on the film is probably controversial because I hated it so much that it's down there with Fantastic Four for me, there's just so many things that bothered me. By far the worst DCEU film.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #702 on: August 10, 2016, 05:03:40 AM »
By far the worst DCEU film.

I agree. Despite being flawed, I actually enjoy both Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. So yeah, this one is the worst one by far.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #703 on: August 10, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
I don't love MoS or BvS, but I look at both and I see movies that feel like completed movies. Sure, theatrical cut of BvS was a mess, but the Ultimate Cut felt like a movie at least. Both MoS and the ultimate cut of BvS still has problems and Zack Snyder made choices that didn't quite work for me, but they still feel like finished movies. Suicide Squad definitely felt closer to Fantastic Four, you could see the two different visions (director and studio) and how it clashed.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #704 on: August 10, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
I just remembered something I hated about BvS. The action fight scene in Batman's future dream. I mean, was this really done by the same guy who did the rescuing Martha scene? It's literally a bunch of heavily armed men standing around waiting to be punched by Batman and doing virtually no fighting in the slightest bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #705 on: August 11, 2016, 03:17:51 AM »
Yeah, that was one weirdly done fight scene.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #707 on: August 13, 2016, 12:45:53 PM »
I dunno, I actually loved The Hobbit trilogy.
I'm a huge fan of the novels (even The Silmarillion, which seems to get a lot of hate for being too much) and I always tho the criticism was needlessly harsh. I tried looking at them from a non-reader point of view, and I can only argue the first film's lenght, but that's it, and maybe that they didn't use the full time for the third film, but that would have ensured even worse reviews.

The additions were good, I enjoyed Legolas being there, I tho the experience was more vivid, and Tauriel character was alright, I don't see the hate on it.

Anyway, the letter is cringeworthy.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #708 on: August 13, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
BTW.
Many of the films listed there were box office successes, isn't that what matters?
What's the point of making 10/10 films if you're only getting half the budget in box office?
Sure quality should be there, and it certainly isn't in a lot of the cases, but saying that WB has totally failed, well, not really.

DCEU isn't stopping because it's earning money, and I've never seen a franchise stop because of bad reviews, in that case, Adam Sandler would have stopped filmmaking a long time ago.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online Adami

« Reply #709 on: August 13, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
Is it what matters? Yes.

Should it be what matters? No.

In the end, audiences (by and large) have ruled that poorly written, poorly made films that entertain them to some extent are actually more valuable than well written, well directed films.

Hence, more and more films like Transformers and Suicide Squad and BvS. Why try to make a good film when people prefer poorly made ones?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #710 on: August 13, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »
Aside from The Hobbit, I've never denied their lack of quality, specially in their Sci-fi films and Pan which totally sucked ass.

But look, every Transformers film is more succesful than the previous one, and I'm sure the next one will cross the billion mark too.
And I'm sure the DCEU will continue to miss until they're proven that their poor writing will hurt their box office, which hasn't happened in enough extent to make it visible.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online Adami

« Reply #711 on: August 13, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »
Aside from The Hobbit, I've never denied their lack of quality, specially in their Sci-fi films and Pan which totally sucked ass.

But look, every Transformers film is more succesful than the previous one, and I'm sure the next one will cross the billion mark too.
And I'm sure the DCEU will continue to miss until they're proven that their poor writing will hurt their box office, which hasn't happened in enough extent to make it visible.

Yea. Which is my point. You don't need a good movie to make a billion. DC seem to be under the impression that mindless entertainment is what the masses want. As far as I can tell, the SS box office is supporting that theory. BvS just didn't have a moment's fun to it. You take the same horrible story and horrible acting (with exceptions) of BvS but add in some fun, it would have made well over a billion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #712 on: August 13, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »
My turn to see SS.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #713 on: August 13, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »
My turn to see SS.

Are you still alive?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: August 13, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »
Nope, I died.

After reading reviews I went in thinking it would be terrible.   I came out surprised that I liked it.  Was it on the level of any Marvel films?  Not even close but it was better than BvS.   

A lot of the complaints about this group not being able to stop a God but let's be honest, evil would always win if that was the case.  It's always been like that in cartoons.   The impossible happens.

Margo and Will stole the show.

7/10
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #715 on: August 13, 2016, 06:05:24 PM »
I have a ton of complaints about that film, between my complaints and all of the complaints I've read about, the probability of defeating the villain was very very low on most people's lists.

It's actually unfortunate for the cast that they were in this movie. They were deserving of so much better. (except Slipknot)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: August 13, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
I still feel it was better than BvS.

Online Adami

« Reply #717 on: August 13, 2016, 06:26:35 PM »
I still feel it was better than BvS.

It's more fun than it for sure. I wouldn't say, as a movie, it's any better.

But people generally, especially with these types of movies, equate enjoyable with well made.

I mean, it's better than any of the Transformers movies, and even if it is better than BvS, that's a really low bar to set.

I just don't see how "bad story, plus bad writing, plus bad editing, plus a complete lack of logic, plus underutilized characters, plus two really good performances" equates good movie.

I dunno. Guess it's just hard to see standards dropping so low as to say "this was pretty fun, so I will ignore the problems and say it's a good movie and be okay with them making more movies of this quality".

Maybe it's because I'm a comic book fan and I don't equate them to silly mindless fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: August 13, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
I cannot stand the Transformers movies.  I understand what you are saying and when you look at the Marvel films it's not even a race.

Sometimes,  a fun movie does outweigh the faults.   This is one. Still I'm not praising it at all.

Maybe my expectations were so low that it helped with my perception.   

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #719 on: August 14, 2016, 02:17:36 AM »
I thought BvS was meh (the theatrical cut was about a 5/10, ultimate cut 7/10) but Suicide Squad was more like 3/10 for me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #720 on: August 14, 2016, 03:44:18 AM »
But people generally, especially with these types of movies, equate enjoyable with well made.
No they don't, but many equate it with "good", which I don't see a problem. If I like a movie because it's well-made, or thought-profoking, or thrilling, or intense, or entertaining, or funny, or any combination of one or more of the above, then I like it. A good film doesn't have to hit all of those.

But well-made is very subjective too based on some of the characteristics you listed (story, writing, under-utilised characters).

I haven't seen the film, by the way, I just have a general dislike of any kind of snobbery. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #721 on: August 14, 2016, 04:08:18 AM »
Sometimes,  a fun movie does outweigh the faults.   This is one.

I agree with the bolded, but not with the rest. I felt that the "fun" in this movie was never natural, it felt like they trying to be fun, rather than just being fun. I didn't feel it. The faults in this movie are so large that, for me, the "fun" aspect does not save it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: August 14, 2016, 04:13:24 AM »
Hey, to each their own.  It just was better than BvS.  But still not on the level with any Marvel.   My least favorite Marvel is The Incredible Hulk.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #723 on: August 14, 2016, 05:05:23 AM »
I keep hearing that people thought Suicide Squad was fun and I really wish I shared that view. I mean, at least they tried to spice it up with jokes, but most of it fell really flat for me.

There was one scene that was so great and could have been a shining moment, but they botched it. The gang is at the bar and they're drinking their troubles away before the final battle. Rick Flagg destroys his phone and says something like "You're all free to go, you don't need to help", followed by Captain Boomerang brilliantly exiting the bar immediately in a "Cya"-fashion. It was really great, but they screw it up 5 seconds later when he still shows up in the background and helps anyway. If they had made that scene his exit from the movie, it would have been really funny.

I liked Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, but the jokes she got were mostly terrible. Like when she introduces herself to Katana on the chopper, "the smell of death" or these random lines that felt like improvisational outtake #57 "That's a killer app!". Captain Boomerang was probably the most funny, and that scene when he kinda tricks Slipknot into escaping and his head explodes, that was great. But most of the funny things were the subtle things. When they actually went for those big funny moments/funny lines, most of it fell so flat for me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #724 on: August 14, 2016, 05:59:21 AM »
Hey, to each their own.  It just was better than BvS.  But still not on the level with any Marvel.   My least favorite Marvel is The Incredible Hulk.

Mine is probably the first Thor, which is also an example of a movie where the issues are too big for the "fun" to overcome. But at least in Thor the fun aspect feels natural, unlike Suicide Squad. I do enjoy, at least much of, The Incredible Hulk.

EDIT: Scrap that, I just now remembered that Ant-Man exists. Big issues and unnatural fun-ness.

Online Adami

« Reply #725 on: August 14, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »

I haven't seen the film, by the way, I just have a general dislike of any kind of snobbery. :lol

I'm not sure if you're saying that about me, but I don't like the idea that having standards and being critical to any degree is being considered bad and snobby. Too critical is bad, but critical is good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #726 on: August 14, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »
The argument I'll never understand is when people defend a bad blockbuster movie with "I just wanted some dumb action". WHY?! There's plenty of great blockbuster films with heart, that are well made and doesn't suck ass. I don't feel like a movie being a blockbuster movie should disregard the need for a good characters or a coherent story.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: August 14, 2016, 04:31:54 PM »
Dumb action is any Transformers movie. This is at least better than that.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #728 on: August 15, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
I loved Suicide Squad. So did my wife and daughter. Much better that S v. B.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #729 on: August 15, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
Have you guys seen this yet? I didn't see Suicide Squad but I thought this video was pretty funny.

Suicide Squad Sales Pitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNFaAUs2mo

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #730 on: August 16, 2016, 03:51:25 AM »
Nope, I died.

After reading reviews I went in thinking it would be terrible.   I came out surprised that I liked it.  Was it on the level of any Marvel films?  Not even close but it was better than BvS.   

A lot of the complaints about this group not being able to stop a God but let's be honest, evil would always win if that was the case.  It's always been like that in cartoons.   The impossible happens.

Margo and Will stole the show.

7/10

Pretty much my view. I came away feeling pretty much as expected before I watched it, which was just a fun movie. Come on people, we're talking a comic book movie here, it's not like it's going to win an Oscar.

Loved the chemistry between the characters, even Diablo had me surprised. I liked Boomerang and Katana very much, Killer Croc was well done. I understand there are a lot of Joker/Harly Quin scenes, which is a shame becuase they totally underused the Joker.

Also loved the surprise Flash scene. Margot Robbie is the star of the movie, but Will Smith surprised me pleasantly. I rate it just under Deadpool, which I put in the same catagory.  I would like to see a sequel, hopefully with a better script.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #731 on: August 16, 2016, 04:05:42 AM »

Pretty much my view. I came away feeling pretty much as expected before I watched it, which was just a fun movie. Come on people, we're talking a comic book movie here, it's not like it's going to win an Oscar.

A few comic book movies have actually won Oscars....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #732 on: August 16, 2016, 04:40:11 AM »
Come on people, we're talking a comic book movie here, it's not like it's going to win an Oscar.

To me, that is no reason to settle for mediocrity.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #733 on: August 16, 2016, 05:27:41 AM »
It may just be a superhero movie, but why settle for a Fantastic Four level movie when you can make a Dark Knight or Avengers level movie?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: August 16, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »
I can separate that some cannot reach those levels.  Look at the consistency of any movie Christopher Nolan directs.  That's the cream of the crop.  I know most cannot achieve that.  Marvel is a we run machine and their level is just amazing.

I can still enjoy a movie not at that level.  It's like music.  Sometimes a simple pop tune is all I need and sometimes I want to listen to something complex.  That being said, some do stink at a simple pop tune.  The DC universe is ok so far.  Great, no way.  Still not as bad as the Transformer franchise.