Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 129690 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The DC Movies Thread v BVS (***SPOILERS****)
« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »
Perhaps.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »
These two comments echo what a coworker told me who saw it last night.  She is the biggest Batman freak I know, and has REALLY been looking forward to it.  She said there are good parts, but they aren't woven together very well.  She said the editing and pacing are pretty bad, which is a shame, since there is obviously good bits to work with.
A perfect description of the movie, imo.

There's some things that happen in the movie that makes no sense. Why does Lois Lane throw the spear into the water, just to go look for it again in 5 minutes? Why does Superman (he of the x-ray vision and super speed) doesn't go look for his mother and goes along with Luthor's plan? Moreover, why doesn't he go "Yo Bruce, Luthor has my mom he's tricking us into fighting"as soon as he landed instead of him just walking into traps and getting mad because of that?

And not even get me started on that so cringeworthy "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NAME" complete with the unnecessary flashback to the beginning of the movie! You're fucking Bruce Wayne! A quick Google search will come up with your parents name! :lol

There are a few things Snyder did with flashbacks that just seemed like he was padding screentime.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:52:35 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »
Wife and kids are out of town, so depending on what time I finish some other commitments, I might end up seeing this.  But if I go to the movies, I think I will probably actually see Deadpool instead, since I know I will more likely see this with the kids at some point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2016, 02:05:30 PM »
.............and Deadpool is not for the kids lol for sure

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »
Exactly.  The other major factor is, if I go, it will likely be spur-of-the-moment, and I'm not sure I could get tickets for this one at the last minute.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 02:59:29 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2016, 05:19:42 PM »
I JUST GOT BACK FROM BATMAN V SUPERMAN

- - - - -

Brief initial thoughts.

• Really exciting.

• Much more memorable and effective score. Especially when WW is on screen.

• Ending is not so ridiculous and dragged out.

• I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected

• Far better than the trailers make out.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2016, 05:29:05 PM »
The more I see the Sad Affleck video, the more I feel bad for the guy.

He's idolized Batman since he was young and wanted to play the role since forever. The guy even built his own batcave! His kids look up to him for playing Batman, and I read that his young son thought the UPS/Fed Ex guy was the Joker because of a purple outfit he wore, and that Ben Affleck paid the guy to pretend to fight outside in the yard (Affleck dressed as Batman) making it look like Batman fighting the Joker. I don't know, things like that really warms my heart and makes me feel bad for the guy.

On the plus side, I haven't seen anyone criticize Affleck and even the haters of the film liked him. I just hope the movie doesn't tank completely. It has to make 800 million dollars to break even. Let's hope it makes at least a billion, maybe 1.3, and I think WB might still take action regarding Snyder/Justice League because of the reviews. I just hope we get a standalone Batman movie directed by Affleck.

Also, I didn't think BvS was bad. I actually liked it more than Man of Steel, but I liked it similar to how I liked Raimi's Spider-Man 3, where I have to add a "I liked it.. but.." at the end. There are problems and some of them are rather obvious and hard to look past, but there is good stuff in the movie.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »
I think it's doing fine so far:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/news/a788216/batman-v-superman-sells-a-massive-27-million-in-first-day-ticket-sales-sorry-avengers/

It's also rated a fair bit higher than Man of Steel on IMDB, 7.8 currently which is a perfectly respectable rating. As is so often the case, I think it's mainly just the critics being particularly vocal.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2016, 05:37:36 PM »
I think the problem is also expectations. People expected this to be on par with Avengers, and as it turns out, it's a good (but not great) movie that unfortunately won't be remembered as one of the standouts in the genre.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: March 25, 2016, 05:39:28 PM »
I REALLY like the moment Batman was about to spear Superman and Superman goes " save.....martha....."   :'( :'( :'(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #360 on: March 25, 2016, 05:46:50 PM »
Batman's reaction in that scene was so bad. "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NAME" uh... because you're Bruce fucking Wayne and a simple google search would tell him who you're parents were?

And also: "oh our mom's share names? best buds!"
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: March 25, 2016, 05:58:37 PM »
There's more to it than that :p

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2016, 06:05:25 PM »
Obviously, but it really didn't seem that way how it was shot. I totally blame that on how it was shot and not they're acting.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2016, 06:21:18 PM »
I just hope the movie doesn't tank completely. It has to make 800 million dollars to break even. Let's hope it makes at least a billion, maybe 1.3, and I think WB might still take action regarding Snyder/Justice League because of the reviews. I just hope we get a standalone Batman movie directed by Affleck.

Well, if it doesn't tank, they probably won't get rid of Snyder.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #364 on: March 25, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
The more I see the Sad Affleck video, the more I feel bad for the guy.

He's idolized Batman since he was young and wanted to play the role since forever. The guy even built his own batcave! His kids look up to him for playing Batman, and I read that his young son thought the UPS/Fed Ex guy was the Joker because of a purple outfit he wore, and that Ben Affleck paid the guy to pretend to fight outside in the yard (Affleck dressed as Batman) making it look like Batman fighting the Joker. I don't know, things like that really warms my heart and makes me feel bad for the guy.

On the plus side, I haven't seen anyone criticize Affleck and even the haters of the film liked him. I just hope the movie doesn't tank completely. It has to make 800 million dollars to break even. Let's hope it makes at least a billion, maybe 1.3, and I think WB might still take action regarding Snyder/Justice League because of the reviews. I just hope we get a standalone Batman movie directed by Affleck.

Also, I didn't think BvS was bad. I actually liked it more than Man of Steel, but I liked it similar to how I liked Raimi's Spider-Man 3, where I have to add a "I liked it.. but.." at the end. There are problems and some of them are rather obvious and hard to look past, but there is good stuff in the movie.

I'm going to guess that they will let the money talk. If it tanks, Snyder's probably gone. If it does super well, then the criticism will fall on deaf ears and they will just try to duplicate what they assume people liked about the movie. Namely, more action, more characters, more dark.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #365 on: March 25, 2016, 06:29:47 PM »
It's also rated a fair bit higher than Man of Steel on IMDB, 7.8 currently which is a perfectly respectable rating. As is so often the case, I think it's mainly just the critics being particularly vocal.

I wouldn't trust IMDB ratings for these kind of movies (with a huge hype behind). Too much fanboys giving 10s without even seeing it (notice the rating distribution).

But, a 7,8 (7,6 now) so early it's pretty low for a movie of this magnitude. For comparison, Force Awakens, which was well liked, started in the 9 range and it's currently sitting at 8,4.

And the rating for BvS keeps falling... it may even end sitting at 6 after some months.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:57:53 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2016, 06:38:04 PM »
When they showed the picture of Wonder Woman from centuries ago - the guy on her right ( our left ) looked exactly like Chris Pine.

Edit : turns out it is.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2016, 06:56:09 PM »
ALSO

Do not go see this in 3D. It's such a dark palette throughout already that the 3D glasses make it really hard to watch.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #368 on: March 25, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »
ALSO

Do not go see this in 3D. It's such a dark palette throughout already that the 3D glasses make it really hard to watch.
Yeah, you're right. We went to the cinema at the 22:30 screening, assuming it wouldn't be 3D, and subtitled instead of dubbed (since the cinemas here leave the dubbed films to earlier screenings for the younger kids, and the subtitled screenings for older audiences).

Turns out, it was 3D and dubbed :P. On the plus side, being dubbed, I didn't have to put the 3D glasses on, and that to me is great (because I usually wear glasses, and two pairs of glasses on one nose can be painful...).

Yeah, I agree with you in general about 3D - most movies I've seen in 3D are mostly dark and fast, so the glasses make the experience harder to watch.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: March 26, 2016, 02:16:04 AM »
So finally saw this last night. I liked it, and thought it was really cool.

It obviously has issues, the biggest one being that it is a bit of a mess. Both narratively and sometimes literally because there's just so much stuff happening at once so fast that it's just like watching flashes of color.

Now, I've wanted to see Doomsday in a movie for sooo long. I don't know why, but I've always thought Doomsday to be the coolest villain ever. So I am a bit disappointed that they didn't really treat that thing with enough respect. I mean, he was cool, and they included the whole "getting stronger when hurt" thing that's sort of lore accurate, which made him a threatening monster. So I guess it's not really what he did on screen that bothered me (although, laser shooting face? come on..), just that they introduced him as "just a monster that happens to be really powerful" when it should have been "this thing has wreaked havoc across the universe for thousands of years and it coming here is really really really bad news".

They tried, but didn't quite make it as cool or "relevant" as I would have liked my favorite Superman villain to be.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #370 on: March 26, 2016, 04:13:55 AM »
The BvS-part of BvS lived up to the hype though, what a great fight. And I was so happy that they didn't chicken out and ended it with a draw.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #371 on: March 26, 2016, 04:22:59 AM »
Yeah that was a really cool fight.  The best action scene in the movie though was Batman taking down that warehouse where they held Martha. It felt really raw, and I'll take that type of "grounded" action over city-wide super mega into space sci-fi battles any day.

Also, probably the best scene in the movie was when Superman appeared for the hearing. That was some properly done tension, and they played out everything about that perfectly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: March 26, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »
What was Helen Hunt looking at when she turned that jar around and it said something like " Peach Tea " ?

I didn't get that bit ?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: March 26, 2016, 11:36:03 AM »
What was Helen Hunt looking at when she turned that jar around and it said something like " Peach Tea " ?

I didn't get that bit ?

In an earlier scene when she talked to Lex she called him out for talking about using the kryptonite as a safety when in reality he wanted to kill Superman, and she made a reference that he could piss in a jar and call it peach tea but it wouldn't make any difference. (Or something like that)

So yeah, there is a jar of piss-scene in the movie that happens

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #374 on: March 26, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »
And it was great.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »
Probably the best DC movie in a long time.

Definitely the best version we'll ever see of The Death of Superman arc, even though Doomsday looked awful. So I imagine Supes really won't come back probably until the tail end of the first part of the Justice League movie? How did Lex figure out who Superman was? And same with Clark about Bruce?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: March 26, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »
Did you notice Wrath of Khan ending? Hero kills himself to save everyone. Amazing grace over funeral scene. Cut to credits on coffin shot.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #378 on: March 26, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
You should see the whole interview with Jimmy Kimmel from where that is from. So damn funny.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #379 on: March 26, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »

I didn't get that bit ?
She is not Helen Hunt, she is Holly Hunter. But yeah, that bit I also was confused about. Thanks, Zantera!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2016, 02:12:09 AM »
How did Lex figure out who Superman was? And same with Clark about Bruce?

I've been wondering this too. When I watched it I just sort of bought it, but my guess is that those things are among the 30 minutes of material that was cut from the movie. Maybe it'll be included and explained in the extended blu-ray version.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2016, 02:55:23 AM »
With Clark knowing who Bruce was, he overheard him at the Luthor party and even followed him when Bruce did his shenanigans to hack the database. So I guess it wasn't that hard to figure out he was Batman after hearing his conversation with Alfred.

With Lex knowing who Superman was, I assume he used his intellect and money to do a lot of research. Apart from the obvious that Clark Kent just happens to look like the most recognizable man on earth, and Superman showing up everywhere Lois Lane was in danger (like in the setup in the opening scene in Africa).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2016, 05:52:38 AM »
Haha. My bro hated it and he LOVED Man Of Steel.

He basically spelled out everything in the film that didn't make any sense at all . I didn't pay that much attention. I just watched it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2016, 06:23:50 AM »
I liked it more than MoS (mainly because this had Batman and MoS didn't), but there were still issues hard to overlook even if you were trying. It has that TASM2 problem of not really having a plot. The movie has several different plotlines (Clark dealing with the aftermath of MoS, Batman investigating criminals leading him to Lex, Lex experimenting and creating Doomsday, Perry White trying to write articles and Wonder Woman flying to Turkey) but if I were to ask someone to tell me the plot of the film, it's almost impossible to sum it up. They could easily have avoided that by tightening up the script, making it more a good flowing story, but they didn't.

The center of the movie really should have been Batman VS Superman but that was such a small part of the film. They should have made the fight a clashing of ideologies. Batman has a beef with Superman because he destroys half of Metropolis/Smallville and is partially responsible for thousands of people dying. Superman has a problem with Batman because he is basically a vigilante who takes the law in his own hands and uses brutality as punishment. The movie should have had 2 fights - the first when Superman stops Batman in the car. Batman is not prepared and gets his ass handed to him. Second fight - the one we got, where Batman IS prepared and knows what he is doing. But their motivation for fighting each other takes the back seat for most of the movie, and then the only reason they fight each other is because Lex blows up a courthouse and Lex kidnaps Superman's mother. It should have been based entirely on the characters ideologies and not an outside force (Lex) tricking them into fighting each other.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: March 27, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »
Half In The Bag review Dawn Of Justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGsrMaxx8N4