Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128657 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Dawn of Justice League
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »
Blade is ok but the CGI in that movie is *awful* :lol

I actually like Blade 2 and 3 more. I love Ryan Reynolds in Blade 3.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »
There are moments in Blade 2 where the CGI is even worse, but that ending fight scene with Nomak is fantastic!

Blade 2 is my favorite. I don't care for Blade 3 much.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
I like them just in the order. 1 to 3 being the worst. 1 was great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »
Oh crap, we're talking about a Marvel property in the DC thread. Hurry, everybody scram before Hef gets here.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »
My fault! Sorry sorry.

So back to DC. I'm not a huge DC fan, but since I assume studios will be doing R movies soon enough, which DC characters really need an R rating? So obviously nothing like Superman or The Flash.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »
What's the big dealio?  I'd love to have an alternative version of a movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »
My fault! Sorry sorry.

So back to DC. I'm not a huge DC fan, but since I assume studios will be doing R movies soon enough, which DC characters really need an R rating? So obviously nothing like Superman or The Flash.
AQUAMAN

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »
 :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
Though the actor playing Aquaman can kill with a stare. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2016, 07:41:54 AM »
So apparently there will be a Blu-ray version of B v. S called The Ultimate Edition which will be rated R for violence.

Is that really necessary?

Just the first sign that some studios did not learn the right lessons from Deadpool.
I don't think it has anything to do with Deadpool.  Snyder probably hasn't had time to do an alternate cut incorporating more adult stuff as a reaction to Deadpool - he is doing prep work on Justice League Pt. 1 which apparently starts filming in April.

No, this seems like something that would have been planned all along.  You know, because DC is harder and grittier than Marvel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2016, 08:53:01 AM »
And I like it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2016, 08:54:20 AM »
And I like it.
And that's fine, and since you like it, I'm glad it will be available to you.

But an R-rated Superman film just seems weird.  Like they have forgotten where they came from.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2016, 10:50:21 AM »
There is now no chance of me seeing this in the theaters. I'll wait for the Blu-Ray. Not because of the R rating but becasue I want to see the film that the director truly wanted to make.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2016, 11:00:54 AM »
So...you're going to wait for the version of the film you don't want to see? Isn't the R-rated version on Blu-Ray only or is it going to be released in theaters too?

This couldn't possibly affect me any less than it does. I'm not even sure I'll end up seeing it in theaters, I'm awaiting the critical and commercial response before I take the time and money to see it. I'm leaning towards not seeing it in theaters. The R-rated factor completely depends on the material that made it R. If it's senseless violence that adds nothing but "oh wow cool they're violent with their super powers!" (which is honestly what I'm expecting), then meh. Otherwise, I don't see the big deal. I'm picturing something that Doomsday does though, not the heroes. It might also be as simple as them showing the actual carnage and destruction of what their battle has wrought in full view instead of a coy "okay, you know people died but we're not showing it".

Either way this isn't a huge deal.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2016, 11:27:57 AM »
There is now no chance of me seeing this in the theaters. I'll wait for the Blu-Ray. Not because of the R rating but becasue I want to see the film that the director truly wanted to make.
The film he truly wanted to make is the theatrical release.  Not sure why you would think otherwise.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
You know, because DC is harder and grittier than Marvel.

Like the sand on Tatooine.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
The film he truly wanted to make is the theatrical release.  Not sure why you would think otherwise.

Most of the time when I hear "director's cut" I think it's the version the directed wanted. I think a lot films shown in theaters are heavily influenced by the decisions of the studio powers that be. Look at what happened with the latest Fantastic 4. I'm not sure if the R rating is a directors cut or not, just the impression I got. Also, the extended cut of the final Hobbit movie was rated R and it was just because of one scene where some orcs got decapitated. Wasn't that big of deal.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2016, 12:18:21 PM »
I would guess it's the same thing with this.  Probably one or two scenes that went a little to far to come in under the PG-13 wing that they cut - just putting them back in.

But nowhere has it been stated that this is a "director's cut."  It's just another cut.

For that matter, Peter Jackson has been fairly adamant that the "director's cuts" of the LOTR films are the theatrical releases, NOT the extended versions.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2016, 04:17:27 PM »

Well at least I don't have to worry about forced jokes

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2016, 06:42:50 AM »

Well at least I don't have to worry about forced jokes
I don't even know what you're saying.  The humor in the MCU films is natural and not forced.  That's one of the reasons for their appeal.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2016, 11:15:46 PM »
It's getting less natural, though I have enough faith in the Russo Brothers to have a good balance in Civil War, and that Crossbones isn't gonna be a fuckin stand up comedian like Ultron. I get that the humor is part of the MCU, and Phase 1 it was all very well integrated (naturally might I add) and it definitely worked for Guardians of the Galaxy, but now it's getting too much. Age of Ultron was definitely 20% plot, 80% jokes. I was like OK ENOUGH ALREADY. Awful, disappointing movie, and Ant-Man was a ball of fluff.

Back to the DC flicks....

Snyder posted the first official production photo of Justice League with the man, Jason Momoa

Im not sure what character some of these costumes are gonna be for, or even if they are completed, but that Flash costume looks fantastic! And I can't wait to see Momoa's take, because people still view Aquaman like he was portrayed in the classic Super Friends cartoons, and not in the comics. Momoa is gonna bring it, and he is so stoked to be part of the Justice League.

Also, has anyone watched the Young Justice show? I hear good things, but is it worth investing my time to check out?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2016, 04:45:03 AM »
I lived that cartoon. I wish they continued that series.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2016, 05:23:41 AM »
I lived that cartoon.
Wow, most people only watched it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2016, 05:49:13 AM »

You should have seen me in the tights! :lol

Loved, loved!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »

You should have seen me in the tights! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »
 :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: March 07, 2016, 04:13:40 PM »
So JK Simmons is signed on to play Commissioner Gordon.  This makes me happy.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #273 on: March 07, 2016, 04:53:48 PM »
That kinda sucks since I was hoping he would return as J Jonah Jameson (which he has said himself he would like to do) and this kinda closes the door on that. Still, he's a personal favorite.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: March 07, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »
Why would it close the door?  It's both a bit part in both universes now.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Excellent casting!

Offline Adami

« Reply #276 on: March 08, 2016, 02:06:10 PM »
Why would it close the door?  It's both a bit part in both universes now.

How is it a bit part? Everyone remembers Gary Oldman and JJ as their respective DC and Marvel characters. They are integral parts of the supporting cast.

They don't necessarily have to be, mind you, they could play bit parts, but they haven't in the past.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: March 08, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
I'm not saying their not important.  I wouldn't be excited if it was but in the big universe right not it is smaller.  It's less time than a big part like Captain America that's in multiple movies and he is able to have multiple roles, in multiple movies.  That's all I'm saying.

Offline Adami

« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2016, 02:29:21 PM »
I'm not saying their not important.  I wouldn't be excited if it was but in the big universe right not it is smaller.  It's less time than a big part like Captain America that's in multiple movies and he is able to have multiple roles, in multiple movies.  That's all I'm saying.

Oh yea, I get that, I think one difference here is that JK as JJ was one of those defining moments in casting. People still look back on those original movies and think that JK was the perfect JJ in every sense. It's not like Bryce Dallas who was a fine Gwen, but who cares? Or Topher Grace. JK made a lasting impression, evidenced by the amount of conversation being had about him and the endless MEMES about him as JJ.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
He was amazing as JJ.  No doubt!