Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128557 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The DC Movies Thread v JUSTICE ( SPOILERS!!!)
« Reply #1015 on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:03 PM »
I finally saw it.

Very very very meh. It had good moments, not many, but a few. Superman carrying the building was nice.

The movie got good when Superman finally came to the rescue, so I wonder how much the immediacy effect had on people who are giving it great reviews, because it's not a good movie.

It's very poorly written. Poorly directed (by both of them). Horrible CGI for most of it. Henry's acting between his resurrection and saving the day was terrible.

I liked most of the characters. I loved Flash as I figured I would. I liked Batman and Wonder Woman. Cyborg was....present, I guess, and Aquaman has a ton of potential. The scene if him sitting on the lasso was very nice.

But yea, not a good movie by any stretch. I had low expectations and was surprisingly still disappointed.

Edit: Can I point out how beyond stupid the opening scene where the damn exploding bug somehow leaves a picture of the mother boxes on the wall was?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:26:48 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1016 on: November 28, 2017, 03:43:47 AM »
I think WB should seriously reconsider continuing this extended universe!

Just let Matt Reeves direct a great Batman trilogy, and Patty Jenkins to finish a Wonder Woman trilogy!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: November 28, 2017, 06:58:12 AM »
Edit: Can I point out how beyond stupid the opening scene where the damn exploding bug somehow leaves a picture of the mother boxes on the wall was?

Do you want to know what went through his mind just before Batman slammed him?  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1018 on: November 29, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »
I actually enjoyed Cyborg. How they approached him, with him being angry with his father and trying to accept what happened to him, is how i’d hope they went with his story. The only thing they dropped the ball on was how he was connected to the Mother Box. It would have been interesting to see his internal struggle in that aspect. I hear WB cut out a TON of his backstory out that Zack Snyder shot. It was either to fulfill the 2hr agenda or Snyder’s footage was just bad.

The DP came out and said the opening scene where Batman is hunting the Parademon was a Joss Whedon add on. But that shot where Batman is perched on the gargoyle might be the most Batman moment in the DCEU. That’s just a great iconic image of the dark knight, even if it was for a few seconds

Offline Adami

« Reply #1019 on: November 29, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »
Cyborg had a lot of potential. A lot of seeds planted that could become great things if given the time, but he just wasn't given anything.

He got like 2 minutes of "what am I?!??!" and then just kind of got into the action.

If this movie did anything (which I'm hearing a lot), it made me excited for Flash Point. I liked Flash. I liked Billy Crudup. I like where they're taking his story.

Also, anyone else notice that (as of now) to members of the Justice League have Watchmen as parents? Might as well have cast Carla Gugini (or whatever) as Diane's mom.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1020 on: November 30, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
Oh boy.

https://www.thewrap.com/justice-league-zack-snyder-batman-v-superman-wonder-woman/

“Justice League” had a lot of enemies: a looming corporate merger, a family tragedy, an internal clash between light and dark themes. But its greatest enemy was time.

Few people are happy with the finished project, which one insider called “a Frankenstein” made of the assembled parts favored by rotating executives and directors and which had the worst opening for a DC Comics-based movie in years. But several people who spoke to TheWrap said the decision to keep the film’s Nov. 17 release date was a mistake — one as plain as Superman’s face.

Specifically, the weird, computer-generated look of his face — just one byproduct of the film’s rushed schedule.  Here, according to insiders, is the story of how “Justice League” just ran out of time.

Worth the click and read, and gives a great detail on why Warner Bros hasn't had a great handle on their DC Films franchise.

Love how all the excutives rushed JL just so they could get their bonuses before they get kicked out of Warners.  :facepalm:

And Kevin Tsujihara needs to go.

Offline Adami

Re: The DC Movies Thread v CRISES ON WARNER BROS (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1021 on: November 30, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »
Is it weird that we got a better Justice League movie with Crisis on Earth X?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1022 on: December 03, 2017, 05:23:09 AM »
Holy shit, now I really want to see this Snyder Cut.

During his new Fatman on Batman podcast, filmmaker and hardcore DC fan Kevin Smith offered fresh details about this darker cut, which had screened before the theatrical cut came. Here's what Kevin Smith had to say, when a fan asked if he thought Warner Bros. would release the Zack Snyder cut on home video.

"There's a petition online with something like 250,000 signatures saying put out the Snyder cut. I think it's ridiculous not to. Sell the version of the movie that people are familiar with theatrically, then wait six months and hit 'em with the Snyder vision. What's the worst that can happen? Everybody goes, 'You f---ed up' and Warner Bros. goes, 'Yeah, I guess' but it's in their rear-view, they're working on something else. It's just another stream of revenue for them. I think they'd be bat-shit crazy, pun intended, for them to not put out Zack's vision, which I read an article about, thank you for bringing it up. It was a breakdown of what's missing from the movie. 'These scenes were done before the reshoots and were shown to WB executives.' This piece comes from Superhero Talk Site and he says the opening was longer, it began with Bruce recruiting Aquaman. It was basically the same scene in the theatrical version, but some scenes were cut. Aquaman was originally much more shut off to Bruce here. Deleted, Barry Allen saving Iris West by breaking the glass. Apparently there's a whole f---ing scene of him saving Iris West. Longer, history lesson, what I was most surprised by is the WB cut out dialogue of scenes with Green Lantern, Zeus and Ares. On the battlefield, when they flash back and s--t, Lantern said something and so did Zeus and so did Ares."

Kevin Smith has recently praised Justice League on another one of his many podcasts, but it's clear the filmmaker would have liked to have seen these scenes in the final cut of the film. He also added that there was another deleted scene with Steppenwolf, where, after he took the Mother Box from Themyscira, he actually talks to the Box. His mother Hegra's essence is alive in the Mother Box and all three combined would give him more power and an edge over his uncle Darkseid. There are other scenes with Victor Stone's (Ray Fisher) early life before being turned into Cyborg. The report also revealed there was a whole scene with Vulko (Willem Dafoe). Another deleted scene is where the whole League visits the Batcave and Alfred (Jeremy Irons) has various reactions to the team. There is also another deleted scene that is reportedly in the middle of the movie, that seemed to anger Kevin Smith quite a bit.

"Deleted, this is in the middle of the f---ing movie, are you ready for this? Deathstroke breaks Lex out of prison. Why the f--k would you cut that out? Oh my God, I question everybody's sanity. They part ways because the cops are hot on their trail, deciding to meet up later at a location they discuss, which was the scene on the f---ing boat."
There is another scene he mentions where Superman brings Lois Lane to Kent Farm and he is still confused about coming back to life, and another where Kevin Costner's Pa Kent comes back in a fantasy sequence. There are also details about an original post-credit scene that was cut in post, where Batman is at his lake house and awakened by a green light, where he's visited by Kilowog and Tomar Ray.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1023 on: December 03, 2017, 06:13:55 AM »
Meh.

He doesn't get why the Lex breakout scene was removed? It has nothing to do with the rest of the movie for one thing, even if it's a setup for future films. That should have been a post credits scene if anything. It would be completely random in the middle of Justice League to cut to Lex Luthor getting freed from prison by Deathstroke when that's it. "Here's a commercial for the next one"

Snyder got it his way with Man of Steel and BvS (the ultimate cut) and neither are good. That's enough to tell me that a Snyder-cut of JL wouldn't be that great anyways.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1024 on: December 03, 2017, 06:17:30 AM »
Not sure what it's gonna take for WB to realize that Snyder's thumb-print for the JL/DCU just isn't a fit for movie-going audiences.  Three underwhelming movies in a row should do it, you'd think.  In my line of work, once is an event; twice is a coincidence; thrice is a trend.  Time to kill the trend.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #1025 on: December 03, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »
Yea, not sure why people automatically think Snyder's cut will be some great movie. It's not like what we did get to see was terribly well written. The plot might make more sense, but this plot didn't not make sense. So at most it'll feel less rushed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1026 on: December 03, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
Do any of you think they would consider handing the reigns over to...........GASP.......... A WOMAN?????

I can't believe they are not at least considering giving the franchise over to Patty Jenkins.   I personally think it would be a wise move first and foremost because she has proven she's the only director who "gets it"...and from a PR POV, it would be raining roses at the WB.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #1027 on: December 03, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »
So I just checked the numbers (best I could), and while I can't find the domestic numbers, apparently by the time it had run as long as JL currently has, Dr. Strange had actually made more money globally.

That feels weird.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1028 on: December 05, 2017, 03:36:02 AM »
Box office numbers after the second weekend:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:    $197,407,025      34.7%
+ Foreign:    $371,800,000      65.3%
= Worldwide:    $569,207,025   

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1029 on: December 05, 2017, 05:36:47 AM »
Box office numbers after the second weekend:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:    $197,407,025      34.7%
+ Foreign:    $371,800,000      65.3%
= Worldwide:    $569,207,025

Justice League totals are really bad news for the DC universe.  It's could end up the lowest grossing movie of the 5 films so far - it needs to make another 100M just to pass Man of Steel.   There are no new territories for it to open in either, it's basically got one more weekend to pull in as much as it can, then Star Wars opens.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1030 on: February 13, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »
Justice League is out on digital video, so I re-watched it.
It's shocking how apparent the reshoots are. The lighting gets much brighter, Batfleck gains weight and his hair changes. Ezra Miller's hair gets shorter, Jason Momoa's fysique changes and the background shifts from a natural background to a very noticable green screen.
I'm absolutely sure that 70-80% of the Superman stuff was reshot as well. Aside from the very obvious cgi-upper lip, he goes from a complete clean shave to some light stubbles in the same scene.

The scenes where these things are most noticable:
- The final battle inside the dome-thing is definitely 100% from the reshoots.
- The Kent-farm scene with Clark and Lois.
- About half of the Superman vs The League-scene
- Some shots from the fishing village, Atlantis and in Barry's flat (brunch...)
- The second scene in the Batcave
- The opening scene with Superman (duh...)

I enjoyed this movie when I saw it the first time. I didn't love it, but I thought it was okey. After seeing it again......it's pretty crap.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1031 on: February 13, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
I thought Justice League was ok, but the CG villain was shit.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1032 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:44 PM »
I thought the villains's first scene, where he chased down the amazons trying to get at the motherbox, was pretty dope. But after that yeah he was pretty crap.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1033 on: February 14, 2018, 12:53:09 AM »
I didn't go to see Justice league in the theater, sounds like I didn't miss much.

I would however, be interested in seeing the Snyder cut. It could be crap, but at least it sounds like a movie. Everything I've read about the theatrical cut screams trainwreck to me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1034 on: February 14, 2018, 01:13:32 AM »
I wouldn’t call it a trainwreck. It was a reasonably enjoyable movie, some cool moments, some fun characters. There just wasn’t any real ’wow’.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1035 on: February 16, 2018, 12:49:58 AM »
The character interactions was definitely the best part about Justice League. The "Oh shit!" moment when Flash realizes Superman could see him in speed force was great!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: February 16, 2018, 01:45:23 AM »
That is my personal favorite moment in the entire movie.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1037 on: February 16, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty dope.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1038 on: February 17, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »
I wouldn’t call it a trainwreck. It was a reasonably enjoyable movie, some cool moments, some fun characters. There just wasn’t any real ’wow’.

Finally saw it and I have to agree. It was nice after all, the plot was easy and not too much convoluted, and also some good humour here and there (Aquaman taunting Batman about how he dresses up like a bat was great), but there wasn't that much to be amazed at. Better than Batman v Superman, worse than Wonder Woman, which is to me the best of the DC bunch so far.

Also, I felt a bit disoriented at the beginning, and the gathering of the characters - Bruce Wayne shows up in Norway or whatever and talks casually to Aquaman, was I supposed to know him? was he even shown "live" in the previous movie or was it just a photo on a screen? was there an Aquaman movie I had to see before this? at least Barry Allen got his short introduction, but it was just weird to see Bruce Wayne talking to a bunch of rugged fishermen with a giant badass long haired tattoed dude standing casually among them.

Superman's resurrection was nice, Bruce got the idea, they had a plan to carry on, it wasn't a cheap trick. What was cheap instead was his arrival during the battle, it was blatantly and absolutely obvious that he would show up, that I'm glad he didn't do it at the very last possible second.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1039 on: February 18, 2018, 06:27:16 AM »
Bruhce Wayne got the computer info from what Lex Luthor had.  It's not like you need any info that Batman did some background on each meta.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1040 on: February 20, 2018, 08:57:16 AM »
Finally watched it.  Not nearly as bad as I was expecting, but it could've/should've been so much better.

Pros:
Story was actually pretty good.  Nothing mind-blowing, but it followed the usual super-hero movie plot points
Cyborg... I dug him
Barry Allen... great job by Ezra Miller

Cons:
CGI across the board.  Steppenwolf was no better than if he was just ripped out of Injustice; background shots (ie, the sunset in Kansas; the ocean in wherever Arthur Curry is from; Chernobyl... none of it looked real); and of course the stiff upper lip - that opening iPhone scene was possibly the worst moment in any movie, ever in the history of film.  Served absolutely no purpose.  How it made the final cut is mind-boggling.
Batman ... felt like Affleck mailed this one in.
Lois... ditto with Amy Adams.
Marvel ripoffs... the conflict amongst the team felt like it was ripped right out of Avengers 1.

I hope Aquaman and Shazam! do well so that Warner/DC don't abandon the big screen.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1041 on: February 20, 2018, 09:42:21 AM »
They should really just let Marvel do the DC films... lol. This is what happens when you chase someone else's tail and rush out crappy movies
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #1042 on: February 26, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
Looks like Joss Whedon has left Batgirl.

Maybe DC should stop announcing things until they’re set.

On the plus side, apparently a test screening for Awuaman is getting good buzz.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1043 on: June 05, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »
*bump*

Justice League. A lot of people hated it. Some people enjoyed it. There’s a solid faction of hardcore DC fans that want a Snyder cut of the film.

Time to let the past die, and try to salvage the momentum that Wonder Woman had, because things are looking bright for DC Films.

- Marvel Studios isnt showing anything at Comic Con this year, so this is Warner Bros summer to really show off and encapsulate buzz for Aquaman, Shazam!, and Wonder Woman: 1984

- Oh yeah, both Geoff Johns and Patty Jenkins have posted this

The rumored title for Wonder Woman 2 is “Wonder Woman: 1984.” I like that it’s set in the past, possibly have to do with the Cold War or the decolonization of South Africa. Being that Cheetah is confirmed as the villain, my guess is the later, but there’s been different versions and backstories of Cheetah, so it’s up in the air.

Pedro Pascal is rumored to appear as Doctor Fate in the movie, which im 100% loving that casting choice if true

Also, Gal Gadot possibly having permed hair and wearing a shoulder padded jacket? YES PLEASE  :heart

- James Wan posted today that the first Aquaman trailer is coming soon. My bet is we’ll get a teaser this month, and followed by the actual trailer next month that will be shown at Hall H in Comic Con.
Nothing but positvity coming from that front, and the film scored high on it’s test screening a few months ago. December can’t come soon enough.

- Shazam! is shaping up good too, and I’m glad they are sticking to the comic book hooded look for Captain Marvel. And there things that are pointing towards a Superman appearance.

It’s clear Warner Bros does not have an overarching story ala MCU, so they just need to make good movies. That’s all I want. I don’t need things to always connect and set up. I think that’s why “Expanded Universe” has stuck. At this point, unless WB reboots and starts a brand new DC cinematic universe, there’s no way they can compete on the MCU’s level. Just make good movies! I have a feeling the next three films will be solid at the least.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1044 on: June 12, 2018, 12:45:14 AM »
Geoff Johns and Jim fucking Lee are writing the script for Green Lantern Corp!!!!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1045 on: June 12, 2018, 02:07:21 AM »
OK so some clarification:

- Geoff Johns is writing and producing GREEN LANTERN CORP. Anyone who has ever read a Geoff Johns Green Lantern comic in the past 15 years knows that this is a GOOD GREAT THING

- Johns is no longer Chief Creative Officer for DC Entertainment. He has stepped down from that role and has created his own production company called Mad Ghost Productions ala JJ Abrams and Bad Robot. All of Geoff Johns produced movies and tv will have that Mad Ghost credit attached.

- Geoff Johns in his statement said "I took on a role at DCE because I love the characters and this universe more than anything. But, I want to spend my days writing and on set. I’m thrilled to get back to a more hands-on creative role. It’s a dream job on dream projects, reaching even deeper into DC’s vast pantheon of characters."

- Jim Lee is not only working on the script with Johns, but he has stepped into the CCO role for DC Entertainment. Jim Lee is not only a brilliant comic book artist, but is a very smart business man. He founded Image Comics with Todd Macfarlane. I think Lee is able to do more on the business side for DC Entertainment than Johns could simply because Johns is more of a creative person. I think Lee can start pumping the brakes on some of these projects like all of the 15 Joker and Harley Quinn movies that are being tossed around.

- The moves come in the wake of last week’s exit of Diane Nelson, DC Entertainment’s president, to whom Johns reported to, and occurs the day before a judge’s decision will be announced in the high-profile antitrust trial between the U.S. Department of Justice and AT&T, which is seeking to merge with Time Warner, the parent company of both Warner Bros. and DC.

- Wonder Woman 1984 and Green Lantern Corp will be the first movies to have the Mad Ghost credit. I like this because movies like Suicide Squad and Justice League had too many cooks in the kitchen. Having DC movies under Johns' production company will have a focused captain steering the ship.

Exciting times, and this is leading up to their massive Hall H panel in Comic Con.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1046 on: June 12, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »
Yeah, seems like they are moving in the right direction.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

Re: The DC Movies Thread v A Changing of the Guard
« Reply #1047 on: June 13, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
Gal dropped this image today for Wonder Woman 1984

Offline Accelerando

Re: The DC Movies Thread v A Changing of the Guard
« Reply #1048 on: June 14, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
First look for Aquaman with James Wan blocking a scene with Aquaman, Mera, and Orn, and Yahya Abdul-Mateen with his Black Manta helmet!!!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1049 on: June 29, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »
I thought Justice League was great. 

It was a lot of fun, some great humor coming from both Batman's deadpan quips and The Flash, and great teamwork from the heroes working together.  It didn't feel like Batman Vs. Superman, where these characters were just jammed into a movie for the hell of it.  It really felt like Batman was in over his head and truly needed these other heroes to help him.  I also loved his change of heart regarding Superman, going from wanting to kill him in the last film to realizing that the world needs Superman as a beacon of hope. 

So I have good hopes for both WW2 and Aquaman - it feels like DC is righting the ship and is back on a good course.