Author Topic: Special Effects today  (Read 2175 times)

Online Dream Team

Special Effects today
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:58:40 PM »
I didn't know where to post this, since there is no longer a "generic" movie thread.

Anyway, I have noticed that my teenage daughter is so spoiled by technology that when we are watching any special effects scene, no matter how modern and state-of-the-art, she always says "that's bad CGI"  :facepalm:. I'm like "you have no idea how great it is compared to when I was your age".

What are the forumers' views on which movies have the absolute best, most realistic effects? I think Marvel is right up there.

Offline ozzy554

Re: Special Effects today
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:11:48 PM »
While I prefer practical effects in movies, When CGI is done well it can look fantastic.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online T-ski

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »
wish they'd spend more time on stories then on the special effects. 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »
If you want a good story, read a book. Movies are meant to be a visual spectacle.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 03:51:36 PM »
If you want a good story, read a book. Movies are meant to be a visual spectacle.

My friend, that's not the point.  The OP is asking something completely different.

I love the Captain America : The Winter Solider because it blended the old school special affect with the new school CGI so perfectly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:01:42 PM »

This explains a lot  :lol

On topic, I do prefer practical effects but they can be crappy as well. The reliance on CGI for whole sets is more worrisome to me than its general use.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 04:04:13 PM »
If you want a visual spectacle, you can see tech demos and other visual arts.

Movies, as an art form, essentially combine the two, to varying degrees. You might prefer visuals over story, while others prefer story over visuals.

For me, I'm somewhere in the middle, though for me "visuals" means the visual artistry/directing. In general, while I appreciate good effects, I don't really give that much of a crap about them.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 04:19:22 PM »
If you want a visual spectacle, you can see tech demos and other visual arts.

Or, if he wants a visual spectacle with subpar story, he can watch Avatar. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Calvin6s

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »

So I'm not the only one thought Avatar was not great?  It was cool when it came out.  Has reality caught up to it and now it is subpar?

But as far as which movie has the best CGI / Special FX, I usually don't watch movies taking those kind of mental notes.  So I honestly don't know.  No amount of CGI can save a poorly scripted/directed/acted movie.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:17 AM »
Avatar definitely wasn't "cool" when it came out. :lol Everyone agreed it looked amazing but a lot of people thought it was rubbish.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 01:17:36 AM »

So I'm not the only one thought Avatar was not great?  It was cool when it came out.  Has reality caught up to it and now it is subpar?

But as far as which movie has the best CGI / Special FX, I usually don't watch movies taking those kind of mental notes.  So I honestly don't know.  No amount of CGI can save a poorly scripted/directed/acted movie.

I never saw it and as of now have no desire to.  It might wind up being one of my favorite movies one day but for now the only blue people that get my attention are The Smurfs. 

This is just wrong altogether.  When you look at movies like Seven, The Usual Suspects, Good Will Hunting, Casablanca, Rocky, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Dr. Strangelove, Fargo, The Sixth Sense, and the list goes on, you realize that a movie just being a visual spectacle that needs loads of overdone special effects is a flimsy argument. Movies are an expression of art and do not have to be weighed down by special effects just to be good.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:25:50 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 07:44:41 AM »
For most modern big effects films, I find the most satisfying results come from a blend of practical effects and CGI.  The best examples, for me, come from the LOTR films, and many of the Marvel films, specifically Iron Man 3 - there is a feature on the Bluray detailing how they did the airplane passengers rescue scene, and it's amazing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »
For most modern big effects films, I find the most satisfying results come from a blend of practical effects and CGI.  The best examples, for me, come from the LOTR films, and many of the Marvel films, specifically Iron Man 3 - there is a feature on the Bluray detailing how they did the airplane passengers rescue scene, and it's amazing.

There were no special effects in Lord of the Rings.  They actually went to a remote island and found a tribe of orcs living there peacefully.  The fell beasts were remnants of the dinosaur family living on Easter Island. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 08:12:33 AM »
That would explain it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 08:16:24 AM »
There is always an explanation for something.  Oh, and Smaug is a real dragon.  I don't want to hear any nonsense that they don't exist.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »
i love films that use CGi merely to enhance the picture. not to create it.

Interstellar for instance is *mostly* practical effects. No Green Screen AT ALL and CGI here and there to augment the visuals.

Obviously flying ships, Gargantua, Wormholes and gigantic waves are CGI but are mostly miniatures where possible.

I just think that makes everything feel real and "there".

When they're looking out of the ship and seeing Gargantua - the actors are literally seeing Gargantua because the ship is a set suspended

in front of several giant projector screens showing the actors what they would be seeing at that moment.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 09:23:32 AM »
Avatar definitely wasn't "cool" when it came out. :lol Everyone agreed it looked amazing but a lot of people thought it was rubbish because it made so much money.

Slightly Fixed.

I think if Avatar came out and was a much smaller hit that made money but didn't become the #1 Grossing Film of All Time -

- people wouldn't be so quick to knock it.

Online - if something is wildly successful or popular - there's this weird trend where people have to "prove" that it is in fact "shit".

Online T-ski

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »
all I remember from Avatar is watching it with my wife and having both of us say out loud. at pretty much the same time, what would happen in each upcoming scene.  complete copy and paste storyline, or as Rush would say, so much style without substance, so much stuff without style.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Calvin6s

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »
Online - if something is wildly successful or popular - there's this weird trend where people have to "prove" that it is in fact "shit".

No.  It just wasn't good for me. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
My only problem with special effects today is sometimes it is over used.  Some spots would be better off with actors in a costume than a CGI character. 

I remember as a kid watching old movies and thinking wow these special effects are terrible compared to what is out now... and now its the same thing except what was good before is crappy now and the cycle continues...

Calvin6s

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 02:29:48 PM »
I remember as a kid watching old movies and thinking wow these special effects are terrible compared to what is out now... and now its the same thing except what was good before is crappy now and the cycle continues...

And there it is.  That's called life experience.  You go through a couple cycles of that and you chill thereafter.  It is kind of like science, nutrition, etc.  When you are in high school, you bad mouth the past and say stupid things like "they just didn't know better back then.  Now we know."  Nope.  In 5-20 years you will be talking about the "we know better now" time as "we just didn't know better back then."  And you accept that "today" will be viewed as archaic a few years later.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 05:42:52 PM »
all I remember from Avatar is watching it with my wife and having both of us say out loud. at pretty much the same time, what would happen in each upcoming scene.  complete copy and paste storyline, or as Rush would say, so much style without substance, so much stuff without style.

Yeah that was pretty much my experience in the theater. The amount of money it made just baffles me because of how banal the movie was but that's not why I didn't like it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »
Avatar definitely wasn't "cool" when it came out. :lol Everyone agreed it looked amazing but a lot of people thought it was rubbish because it made so much money.

Slightly Fixed.

I think if Avatar came out and was a much smaller hit that made money but didn't become the #1 Grossing Film of All Time -

- people wouldn't be so quick to knock it.

Can you stop having this ridiculous opinion please? You say this about a lot of things. I have yet to see Avatar because I just don't care. I'm sick of Frozen, but it was enjoyable when I saw it. That new short before Cinderella proved the franchise had already run its course, but I don't hate Frozen. I'm sure there are those who hate stuff for being popular, but that's not everyone. That's such a stupid way of thinking anyway. Not everyone is one of those Marvel VS DC fanboys who has to only like one brand for some reason, and shit all over something before even seeing it.

And really, that trend only really applies to actual shit movies like Bayformers.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »
Avatar was a fine movie, sure it was a ripoff story, but there isn't a whole lot of originality coming out of hollywood these days.  It was a fine movie, because it pushed the limits of what a movie could do.  I saw it in IMAX 3D and loved it, but I havent watched it since.  It was an enjoyable experience, but not a great movie for its story.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 07:26:48 PM »
How did it push limits? It was executed like your typical blockbuster movie.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 07:53:12 PM »

I had never seen any visuals like that in a movie before.  As far as I understand, Camaron used new filming tactics to make that movie. 

From wikipedia (which I understand should not be sourced as fact, but these quotes are sourced)

The film made extensive use of new motion capture filming techniques,[24] and was released for traditional viewing, 3D viewing (using the RealD 3D, Dolby 3D, XpanD 3D, and IMAX 3D formats), and for "4D" experiences in select South Korean theaters.[25] The stereoscopic filmmaking was touted as a breakthrough in cinematic technology.[26]

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 01:14:08 AM »
I believe he meant in terms of effects/technology, rather than story telling.

And yes, it was groundbreaking in that regard. But the story was so generic it was funny. Calling the rare mineral "unobtanium" caused me to literally laugh out loud. Overall I enjoyed the film, but it was not a cinematic masterpiece.

And I agree with Zook, some people will hate something just because it's popular, but I don't see any of that happening here. And as a general point, you could apply that to basically anything. Nobody bothers complaining about the obscure stuff, no matter how terrible it is, because nobody knows it anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

Calvin6s

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 01:33:38 AM »
Calling the rare mineral "unobtanium" caused me to literally laugh out loud. Overall I enjoyed the film, but it was not a cinematic masterpiece.

:lol  same here.  And then I refused to let it take up any brain storage space, but now you went and cemented it in there.  I'd say that might be one of the most cringe worthy part of the movie, but I'm probably blocking out other stuff.  For the record, I didn't hate Avatar.  I just have absolutely no desire to ever see it again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 06:50:59 AM »
Yeah, the visuals are fantastic, but there is nothing else commendable about the film.  The story is generic, the acting is wooden, and the plot is fairly predictable.

If it didn't have visuals like it does, no one would care about it at all now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 06:55:10 AM »
I like the direction too. The final big battle at the end is well shot and paced nicely.

I think the whole film is paced very well.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:41 AM »
Avatar was the weirdest version of Pocahontas I have ever seen.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:44 AM »
I believe he meant in terms of effects/technology, rather than story telling.

And yes, it was groundbreaking in that regard. But the story was so generic it was funny. Calling the rare mineral "unobtanium" caused me to literally laugh out loud. Overall I enjoyed the film, but it was not a cinematic masterpiece.

Yes, that is what I meant... this is the Special Effects thread!  Anyway, yea the movie in terms of story and acting and whatnot was not that impressive.  I just liked it because it was one of the coolest movie theater experiences I have had.  Really amazing visuals, that is all it was to me which is why I can say I enjoyed the movie, but I wouldn't say it was good.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 08:44:15 AM »
That's because it was only 60% Pocahontas. The other 40% was Fern Gully.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
I think the problem with special effects is that a lot of movies use too much of it. I think there is a perfect balance of practical and CGI, but a lot of movies seem to ignore the practical side and make it easier for themselves. Just compare the original Jurassic Park with Jurassic Park 3. The original still looks better.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »
That's because it was only 60% Pocahontas. The other 40% was Fern Gully.
Your percentages are off.  You are missing Dances With Wolves (although, it could be construed that the percentage for that film is embedded in the other two - but it came first).