Author Topic: X-Files returning to television  (Read 11309 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: X-Files returning to television
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »
Them keeping the intro helped it a lot. It's a signature of the series.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »
I didn't really like the first episode all that much. It seemed both rushed and ultimately kind of boring. I think it might've benefited from being a two hour pilot, given it a bit more time to breathe. As it is, Duchovny seemed half asleep, Jeff Winger was largely wasted (I hope he comes back, the character has potential), and I don't like the idea of the whole 'we've been deceived all along!' retcon. I'm guessing it's going to end being one big smoke screen, but on the off chance they're playing it straight, then fuck off Carter for making nine seasons of the show ultimately pointless.

The second episode was better. Duchovny and Anderson felt a bit more comfortable and I liked how the monster-of-the-week plot tied into the mythology stuff. There were some humorous moments, some horrifying stuff, and some action. Basically it hit all of the beats that an X-Files episode should hit. Now just tighten up the writing a bit more.

Also, I'm wondering WHY the government would even reopen the X-Files in the first place? Somebody at the government must've been like 'Hey, remember that thing that caused us so much trouble twenty years ago? Yeah, The X-Files? Yeah, let's reopen that thing.' And why would Mulder and Scully even agree to work for the government again knowing what they know? They know how utterly corrupt, untrustworthy, and compromised it is and after Mulder essentially spends 5 minutes ranting about how it's even worse NOW, why even agree to go back? I think there was an interesting potential idea to show the other side of the coin. Have Joel McHale's character unofficially reopen the X-Files in a private, third party capacity, unaffiliated with the government. He says he wants to show everyone the truth, but there was a potential to show that he could be just as bad as the government; stoking people's fears, playing on their ignorance by selling falsehoods masked as the truth, and benefiting from it monetarily. That would be an interesting angle to take and I'm hoping they do it, because the seeds are there in the first episode for them to do so.

Also, I loved that they kept the original music and title sequence, grainy film and all. I figured they would try to update it or something, but nope. That's like pure, distilled nostalgia dripping right into my brain.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 09:50:38 AM »
I did like that the kid's name in Episode 2 was Kyle Gilligan.  Perhaps if Vince was creative consultant again, the shows would be a bit better. 

I semi-followed the show when first aired.  My wife and I have watched all the first two seasons in the past four months.  So, we're enjoying the new ones for what they are, good or bad.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »
I didn't really like the first episode all that much. It seemed both rushed and ultimately kind of boring. I think it might've benefited from being a two hour pilot, given it a bit more time to breathe. As it is, Duchovny seemed half asleep, Jeff Winger was largely wasted (I hope he comes back, the character has potential), and I don't like the idea of the whole 'we've been deceived all along!' retcon. I'm guessing it's going to end being one big smoke screen, but on the off chance they're playing it straight, then fuck off Carter for making nine seasons of the show ultimately pointless.

The second episode was better. Duchovny and Anderson felt a bit more comfortable and I liked how the monster-of-the-week plot tied into the mythology stuff. There were some humorous moments, some horrifying stuff, and some action. Basically it hit all of the beats that an X-Files episode should hit. Now just tighten up the writing a bit more.

Also, I'm wondering WHY the government would even reopen the X-Files in the first place? Somebody at the government must've been like 'Hey, remember that thing that caused us so much trouble twenty years ago? Yeah, The X-Files? Yeah, let's reopen that thing.' And why would Mulder and Scully even agree to work for the government again knowing what they know? They know how utterly corrupt, untrustworthy, and compromised it is and after Mulder essentially spends 5 minutes ranting about how it's even worse NOW, why even agree to go back? I think there was an interesting potential idea to show the other side of the coin. Have Joel McHale's character unofficially reopen the X-Files in a private, third party capacity, unaffiliated with the government. He says he wants to show everyone the truth, but there was a potential to show that he could be just as bad as the government; stoking people's fears, playing on their ignorance by selling falsehoods masked as the truth, and benefiting from it monetarily. That would be an interesting angle to take and I'm hoping they do it, because the seeds are there in the first episode for them to do so.

Also, I loved that they kept the original music and title sequence, grainy film and all. I figured they would try to update it or something, but nope. That's like pure, distilled nostalgia dripping right into my brain.

I didn't like the first episode either. It was consistent with the last couple seasons of the show, where the tongue was a little too embedded in the cheek.

Episode 2 was gold. The scenes with M&S imagining parenting William were brutal. That's the show I missed.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
Was a big fan back in the day, watched also that forgetful second movie, so tell me if I got something missing because from the way I remember it all played out like this:

2001 (end of the series): Mulder is super-ultra-mega hunted by everyone in the world who isn't Scully or Skinner.
2008 (second movie): Mulder is in hiding but is unofficially lured back in to assist on an investigation.
2016 (series return): "Whatever dudes, we have a free office, care to investigate weird stuff again?"

When could Mulder walk again in public, let alone have a job at the FBI again?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline HippyDave

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 05:57:52 AM »

That was the carrot they lured him back with in the second movie (I Want To Believe) - that the FBI would quietly shut down its pursuit of Mulder if he helped them find who had killed one of their own. He got his man/men, and he was no longer a wanted man.

It does seem somewhat unlikely on the face of it that the FBI - which at the time of his exit was overrun with genetically-engineered hybridised supersoldiers - would be willing to strike that kind of a deal, which leads me to think that something went awry with the supersoldier programme; but that's all just speculation, which will hopefully be addressed at some point :).

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 06:36:51 AM »
If they had gone that route of Mulder still being a wanted man, the new stuff would have been more reliable on people having seen S8/S9 when the craziness went down. So I fully understand why they went the soft-reboot route of just putting them in the suits again and focusing on the new stuff.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 07:00:18 AM »
The entire thrust of the FBI on this show from day 1 is that it is the arms of the shadowy people running the country behind the scenes and their unknown, seemingly ever-changing designs for Mulder and the X-Files. It has never been presented otherwise. So even though it's an easy way out of full explanations, the caveat of every strange and nonsensical thing the FBI does on this show is this. Trying to examine the organization – or even most characters that aren't M&S – and its actions based on logic or what the real FBI would do is completely pointless. In fact, I'd say it actually should be included in the suspension of disbelief: in the X-Files, everyone is acting according to an agenda you haven't yet uncovered.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 05:23:22 AM »

That was the carrot they lured him back with in the second movie (I Want To Believe) - that the FBI would quietly shut down its pursuit of Mulder if he helped them find who had killed one of their own. He got his man/men, and he was no longer a wanted man.

Ah, thanks! as I said I watched the movie and I remember there were some behind-the-scenes talks, I just didn't remember that the manhunt for him was basically over.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Dream Team

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2016, 07:34:36 PM »
LOVED tonight's episode. Freaking HILARIOUS.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2016, 08:01:35 PM »
^
And...so well written, with a nice twist.  You know it will tick off a lot of fans, but we loved it.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
Last night's episode was really good. Not just good, but solid enough that I think with time, people might mention it up there with the fan-favorites. Got strong vibes from Bad Blood and Jose Chung From Outer Space, in a good way.  :)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 10:46:10 PM »
I haven't read any of the posts here, but started watching the original series last night and I'm liking it. Thing is, it's too fucking long. Is it worth the 9 seasons?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 01:27:57 AM »
I haven't read any of the posts here, but started watching the original series last night and I'm liking it. Thing is, it's too fucking long. Is it worth the 9 seasons?

I watched all 9 seasons fairly recently and I thought it was worth it. Mulder starts being phased out towards the end (only appears in 8 episodes I think in S8, 1 in S9) and Scully's role is also diminished towards the very end, but there's gems in every season. Personally I thought S7 (the last with Mulder really being a main character) and S9 (the last overall) were the biggest duds, but I was surprised at how much I loved S8 (the introduction of Doggett as a main character), and I would actually put S8 in my top3 favorite seasons.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »
LOVED tonight's episode. Freaking HILARIOUS.

^
And...so well written, with a nice twist.  You know it will tick off a lot of fans, but we loved it.

I liked it as well! One of the wackiest episodes ever, but very funny and satirical, I don't know if the guy that played the lizard-man is a comedian or something but he was freakingly hilarious. Bold move to have only 6 episodes and dedicate one to this wacky story.

Oh, and the part where Mulder is in Scully's room and does all the talking answering her questions before she has a chance to ask them? golden. Scully ends up saying "That's how I like my Mulder"... yeah, we too Scully, we too!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 02:16:49 PM »
So far I'm loving the mini series. I'm a little bit bummed that it's only 6 episodes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »
Tonight I am starting with the pilot and will work my way through the entire series over the next few weeks. It was always on when I was younger, in the backround or whatever, but I rarely ever sat down and watched it. Kind of freaked me out as a child, but now I'm ready to embrace it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
I was not that young, but young enough to depend on whenever it was on TV and if I had the TV for myself. For example I never saw the episode that closed up Mulder's sister arc. With everything new there is to see nowadays I'll hardly find the time to rewatch 9 seasons, but I was thinking about doing a condensed "best of", watch the episodes that I remember were good and the important ones going through the episodes descriptions, it could also be a chance to watch it in its original language (Since some years I watch everything in english, screw translations).

There are some episodes I wouldn't mind to see again, "Folie at Deux" was great and so the one about the deranged Peacock family.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
Almost done season two and over all I like the series so far. There are quite a few dumb ass episodes, but on the other hand most of the episodes are really solid, with some being incredible, so its all good.

I shall take the sour with the sweet.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2016, 04:17:04 AM »
It's not just the case with X-Files but I think most shows where the seasons are up to (or over) 20 episodes. You just can't keep consistency as easily compared to a show with maybe half the episodes in a season. X-Files also went out and really tried to do creative things with its concept, and for every idea that didn't quite work, like Mulder and Scully going into a virtual game (First Person Shooter in S7) you got those really spectacular episodes like Mulder on a ship stuck in the '40s with Nazis invading (Triangle in S6) or the bank that keeps blowing up on a loop until the time loop is broken (Monday in S6).

There's some oddballs and some episodes that missed the mark, but there's also those really special episodes.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »
It's not just the case with X-Files but I think most shows where the seasons are up to (or over) 20 episodes. You just can't keep consistency as easily compared to a show with maybe half the episodes in a season.

This also affects, depending on the premise of the show, its credibility. For example take the ever famous Murder, She Wrote with Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher... wherever she goes someone gets killed, and when she stays at home, someone gets killed as well. Come on.

Same for House, I never watched it but it is my understanding that House spent 8 years solving a complex medical case each week with everyone saying his ideas were bullshit before being proved wrong.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »
Watched the first three episodes last night and they are good, the last one was funny. I agree it is a shame it is just six episodes, will enjoy it while it lasts.
May have to pull out the original box set and watch that.
Can't believe Cancer Man is still alive!  :corn

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
It's not just the case with X-Files but I think most shows where the seasons are up to (or over) 20 episodes. You just can't keep consistency as easily compared to a show with maybe half the episodes in a season. X-Files also went out and really tried to do creative things with its concept, and for every idea that didn't quite work, like Mulder and Scully going into a virtual game (First Person Shooter in S7) you got those really spectacular episodes like Mulder on a ship stuck in the '40s with Nazis invading (Triangle in S6) or the bank that keeps blowing up on a loop until the time loop is broken (Monday in S6).

There's some oddballs and some episodes that missed the mark, but there's also those really special episodes.

I totally agree. It just dawned on me just how many episodes there are in a season. Over 20 is incredible and for a few duds to be in there, its totally reasonable. For the most part, they are pretty damn good, so I am very impressed that they are able to keep the quality up over that great of a quantity.

And Honestly, even some of the korny episodes have value in being so bad they are good, so I really have fallen in love with this series.

And I can't help but laugh in that Scully is this nice, down to earth girl who doens't cause trouble and moulder gets her wrapped up in the most fucked up and craziest of situations  :lol

Its always like how the holy hell are they going to get out of this one
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:37:13 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
I kinda liked it that by the time we got to S8 and S9, Scully was the believer and Doggett was the skeptic. It was nice with that little change.

Offline perfecthundred

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »
Count me as one of the X-Files fans who was very confused at the pilot episode and a bit disappointed that it seemed to shoe horn the X-Files and Mulder and Scully when it wouldn't made the least bit sense. Also for a 6 episode series, the series is very little myth and mostly monster of the week. The last episode with trash man was good but the good part with Dana didn't work well next to the main plot. It's a perfect example of the B-story overshadowing the A story. Excellent B story with a weak A story. The next episode doesn't appear to be part of the myth either so I'm a bit confused with the point of going 6 episodes with very little myth. Granted I am enjoying myself with these new shows but feel they could have tightened things up a bit more.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
Count me as one of the X-Files fans who was very confused at the pilot episode and a bit disappointed that it seemed to shoe horn the X-Files and Mulder and Scully when it wouldn't made the least bit sense. Also for a 6 episode series, the series is very little myth and mostly monster of the week. The last episode with trash man was good but the good part with Dana didn't work well next to the main plot. It's a perfect example of the B-story overshadowing the A story. Excellent B story with a weak A story. The next episode doesn't appear to be part of the myth either so I'm a bit confused with the point of going 6 episodes with very little myth. Granted I am enjoying myself with these new shows but feel they could have tightened things up a bit more.
I find it pretty strange, too. After the first two episodes I wasn't expecting much "monster of the week" at all.

Calvin6s

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »
If next week is monster of the week also, that puts it at half of the episodes being MotW?  I've definitely wanted more Mytharc episodes than MotW, so this is kind of a letdown.  You'd think if it is a 6 episode mini-series, it would have come back on for a reason more than just throwing out random stories.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2016, 12:54:52 PM »
If next week is monster of the week also, that puts it at half of the episodes being MotW?  I've definitely wanted more Mytharc episodes than MotW, so this is kind of a letdown.  You'd think if it is a 6 episode mini-series, it would have come back on for a reason more than just throwing out random stories.

Actually only the first and last episodes are mytharc, so 4 motw episodes.

Calvin6s

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
It is strange because I enjoy the MotW episodes.  But I've always loved dramas / sci-fi that center strongly on a continuous theme.  Where almost every episode matters and missing one could quickly leave you missing an important detail.

I guess the 2nd one was a MotW as well.  They are peppering in a lot of Scully's thoughts on their child given up for adoption, so that feels like as strong (or stronger) a mytharc theme as the whole 1st episode aliens or govt. lies and propaganda or a mixture of both.

I'd re-familiarize myself with past episodes by rewatching seasons 1 to 9 (and the movies), but that brings me back to the whole MotW problem.  They are good the first time around, but feel like an unnecessary waste of time the 2nd time around.  But you are always worried there might be 30 to 120 seconds of mytharc buried in those episodes.

I'm sure I've forgotten half of the mytharc details.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2016, 02:11:42 AM »
Overall I like the mytharc-episodes the most, but some of the motw-episodes have been among the best, and they do provide a nice little break in between the more "heavy" episodes.

Calvin6s

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM »
Not loving this season.  And nobody wants to relive the X-Files fun more than me.  It wouldn't have taken much for me to let nostalgia mask any shortcomings.  I'm the proverbial fish in a barrel X-files fan of the 90s.

It had some moments, but overall it just hasn't been working for me.  Perhaps the finale will win me back, but it seems unlikely at this point.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2016, 07:08:46 AM »
Episode 3 is the only one I've loved, and I would even say it's up there with some of the classics. The rest has been good-not-amazing basically. If they make another season I would love to see more focus on the mytharc, see the return of Krycek, Doggett (in one episode as a guest or something) and the return of black oil. But it's all about the writing and I'm not sure if they have any great stories left to tell.

Calvin6s

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
The were-human episode definitely was the most enjoyable for me as well.  Almost completely because of the were-humans performance.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2016, 02:53:05 PM »
Babylon was good, way better than the previous one with the hobos golem and Scully's unresolved mother situation. To have "younger Mulder and Scully" worked very fine, one would have thought it a very poor gimmick but it was good!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »
Other than the Cigarette Smoking Man, what a clunker of a finale.  I felt like I was watching the old Bob Newhart show, and should have taken a drink every time Scully said 'Agent Einstein' (I think it was 10x).  They had to choose such a cheesy name?

Surprised to say that the were-human episode was by far the best.  There was no reason for last week's episode, other than introducing the clones or 'X-Files: Next Generation' cast members.

Last week was just a 'terrorist' crime cell show, tonight seemed anti-vaxxer and 'beware of microwaves'.  Near the end of the show, Scully and Agent Einstein <DRINK!> are discussing solutions.  I felt like I was watching ST:TNG, where Geordi and Data go on for five techno babbling, just boring as all eff minutes. 

Very disappointing.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:52:21 PM by DragonAttack »