Author Topic: Elite's Roulette v3: It's Over. - Final Results!  (Read 21182 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Roulette v3: Baffle Me - Let the Final Round begin!
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
You know, the problem with progressive metal is actually that a lot of it sounds similar and that in the contemporary scene, many bands are doing things that have been done before. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as there are many bands out there who deliver quality music, but finding something unique is rather difficult. Leprous, I think, are a great example of a band that sounds totally unlike any other band and I love them for that. During the course of this roulette, I received much similar music, but Nihil-Morari constantly sent something very different. This made it difficult in some rounds to judge the other music.

As for the final round: I've listened to every song multiple time and this is a ridiculously hard round to rank. At the moment, I'm flooded with work at my internship, working more hours than I sleep, so until this weekend, I virtually have no time to post anything. I want to wrap this up though and after this Sunday I'll have more time. I promise to have the final results up before or on next wednesday.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2015, 02:45:29 PM »
Stay strong. I hope you get a well-deserved break soon.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
In hindsight, I shouldn't have said yes to running this roulette now abd I should have waited a couple of months :lol .
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2015, 09:54:46 AM »
In my mind I know who has won this by now. I just need the time to write everything down and I will do so tomorrow afternoon. So, tomorrow, a little over two weeks after receiving the songs for the final round, I can finally end this roulette. Thanks for staying with me, it will be over soon.
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #179 on: June 16, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
No problem! I'm looking forward to the results!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
I finally got around to typing out these final results. This final round was quite consistent and it eventually came down to just two players’ songs. Even though most of the tracks I received this round I enjoyed a lot.. let’s just say two of you had sent your best song in this roulette in an earlier round. Without a lot of extra information, I’m bringing you the results. Excuse the sober fashion, but it seems quite fitting to end this roulette in this way. Ranked from third to first place, with the songs themselves ranked from favourite to least favourite, here are the results:

Third place!

Participant: senecadawg2
#1: Band – Song: Angra – Spread Your Fire

Congratulations, you did it! You sent the best song of this round and this song will surely prompt me to check out this band’s discography more. Some excellent power metal (which, as I pointed out earlier is not exactly a genre I can listen to all the time), but this song had some extras that made it differ from your usual regular power metal stuff. I enjoyed this one a lot, thanks.

# 7: Band – Song: Need – Mother Madness

And then you sent this.. Were it not for the two instrumental tracks I received, this song would be by far the worst song I got in this round. I’m sorry to say that this track did absolutely nothing to me. The guitars sound terrible, the singer has a monotone voice I absolutely cannot relate to and the whole song through everything sounds the same. Top that of with a not-so-good guitar solo and this song is a recipe for dislike from my part. Not feeling this one at all.

# 9: Band – Song: Gordian Knot – Muttersprache

I don’t really like instrumental rock music. I either find dit boring, overly pretentious, or just plain annoying to listen to.  This one is a combination of all three. Having listen to this one as extesively as the rest of tracks, I find myself remembering barely anything from this track, apart from the high sustained guitar notes. I must say the production on this track isn’t that good either. I know how you said this was like your favourite instrumental track, so I’m sorry not to like it, but I fail to see why this track is good.

Overall:

I enjoyed almost every track you sent to me in this roulette. Just in the finals some things went wrong with your song choices. Where we’ll see that it got very close between the winner and the runner-up, you had the bad luck of sending me two songs I didn’t like at all. That said, I want to thank you for participating, staying until the end and for sending me lots of good music throughout. Thanks :)

---

Second place!

Participant: lonestar

#3: Band – Song: The Deadstation – Hunderd Foot Drop & Subsistence Defined

This is without a doubt one of the best progressive metal songs I received in the entire roulette. The first track (Hunderd Foot Drop) merely serves as a short interlude of less than 2 minutes and is therefore completely forgettable, but the second one is awesome on all levels. It;s a shame these guys are not on Spotify, since that means I’ll have to go back to bandcamp to listen to this album. Amazing stuff, thanks!

# 6: Band – Song: Maestrick – H.U.C.

As with the previous track, I don’t really have much to say about this one. It’s a solid track, but nothing much more than that. This band doesn’t really do anything I’ve never heard before, but they are good at what they do. Just kind of average I suppose, but in a very good way.

# 8: Band – Song: Pomegranate Tiger – Stars

Another instrumental that, sadly, didn’t really do a whole lot to me. A couple of years ago, I might actually have enjoyed this, but now it sounds like a collection of (good) riff, interspersed with guitar solos and it become rather tiring to listen to all of this for the entire length of the song. Although this song was definitely more interesting than the other instrumental, it still pretty much failed to grab my attention.

Overall:

You have been very consistent in the songs you sent me and I liked almost every single track. Some killer tunes here and there. If I held this roulette at a different point in my life, you actually might have won with the same set of songs. I don’t know what’s happening to me, but I think sometimes I get a little tired of the progressive metal madness all the time. This is of course hypocritical, as I play in a progressive metal band myself, but I can;t seem to listen to the genre at all times anymore. That said, this last set of songs was really good, but I have to give the edge to our final contestant, who sent just a slightly better one.

AND THE WINNER IS!

Participant: Nihil-Morari

#2: Band – Song: Gary Clark Jr. – When My Train Pulls In (Live)

This is a genre I have never really delved into. That’s weird. Despite being a guitarist, I have never really looked into blues. You said in your message that I might have played along to blues backingtracks and practised my minor pentatonic scales. Yes, I can fake playing blues for a musically illiterate audience, but honestly, I don’t really have an idea what I’m doing (I shouldn’t say this). However, this song changed the way I look at the music genre. You’re right, that guitar sound is huge. Almost perfect cleans and the fuzz and overdrives are astounding. That solo at the end is gorgeous and overall this song is so damn good, I don’t really know what else to say about it.

#4: Band – Song: Supertramp – Crime of the Century

This is a band I know a couple of songs from. Actually, I think I only know ‘School’ and I might have heard ‘Fool’s Overture’ some times, but never though anything about it. I guess this song is a little comparable to ‘School’ in the sense that it features the majority of the vocals in the first half while exploding into instrumental madness in the second half. (I just checked Wikipedia and found out both can be found on the same album.. Oops.) Anyway, this song rocked my train ride from Eindhoven to Utrecht and I will check out the rest of this band’s workm starting off with this album. Really liked this one, thanks.

#5: Band – Song: Volcano Choir – Still

I’ve listened to Bon Iver before (my girlfriend likes his music, so I’ve had him in the car sometimes) and this sounds a little like him (yes, I know it’s the same dude), but in a very different way. I have actually also heard the hiphop remix with Kanye West and didn’t think a lot of it, but hearing where it came from made me appreciate that one a little more as well. This is a very relaxing track, with indeed post-rock like instrumentation. Very nice and soothing, a nice departure from the other stuff I got this round.

Overall:

I said in my writeup for lonestar that I have gotten a little tired of progressive metal in general. This has reflected throughout the entire roulette. Some songs that I think I would have liked a lot a couple of years back, got sent out in favour of the tracks you sent me – which didn’t belong to this genre at all. You were without a doubt the most inconsistent person in the entire roulette in terms of song choices, as you were all over the place, but you sent me beautiful stuff from genres I never really looked into before. This last batch you sent me was amazing and so diverse that I can not do anything else than crown you the winner. Thanks for enlightening me to new music – not so much new bands, as other players have done - but whole new genres I never thought of exploring myself. Thanks.

---

And thus I end my third and (for the moment) final roulette. I know I’ve taken too long and I would be willing to sign up for one again, but not before I get ymy life back on track so that I can work on this at a steady pace. I’m sorry if I’ve kept you waiting, but it’s all over now.

Thanks to all participants for the music you have sent me.
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Elite's Roulette v3: It's Over. - Final Results!
« Reply #181 on: June 17, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »
dude muttersprache is incredible

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #182 on: June 17, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
Congrats Nihil-Morari and congrats Elite for finding new music- thanks for letting me play!

I agree, Shadow Ninja. I though that would be one of the higher tracks of the round, but oh well. Different strokes. I take comfort in knowing that he enjoyed my Angra submission, which I have been holding on to for the entire roulette. Maybe next time.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #183 on: June 17, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
The Deadstation's debut EP is a freebie on Bandcamp, and is phenomenal.

Congrats Nihil, thought I was gonna get no. 9, but it'll have to wait.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2015, 06:05:46 AM »
Wow thanks! I'm glad that my weird collection of songs was your taste. I've made a spotify list of my 9 entries, I'll listen to it as a while sometime soon. Should be quite an experience.

PS. I like muttersprache too  :D
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Congrats Nihil! Maybe had I used your no-prog approach, I would have reached farther in this roulette. Oh well :lol

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
Thanks! Totally would've worked  ;) I just promised myself to only send songs that I like. Which worked I guess.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »
Oh I like what I sent. But not Elite :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:03 AM »
Sorry to step on everyone's toes. I did not like it. Like I said, I found it boring and not memorable.
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
No problem man! I can totally see why anyone wouldn't like it.