Author Topic: Elite's Roulette v3: It's Over. - Final Results!  (Read 21132 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Elite's Roulette v3: Baffle Me - Send Round 1!
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »
It's Friday....

:corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 11:58:47 AM »
Shortly!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
It's Friday....

:corn

Dear god, you're just asking for bosk1 to troll you with that song. :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
Three hours and it's not even Friday in my country anymore, so better hurry!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2015, 12:13:49 PM »
Four hours and it's Saturday here as well. :lol Typing this shit out takes quite some time! But here we have them, the results for the introductory round! :)

Here’s how this goes. The results are posted in the order of how much I liked them. No scoring, just the songs against each other. In any subsequent round, some players are eliminated, while the rest stay. Two people will be eliminated in each of the following two rounds, while after that one person a round has to go. I hope this is clear, but the ‘rules’ are in the OP as well. I’m keeping this simple, yet competitive. There’s no cumulative scoring, you just have to do your best in every round in order not to be eliminated. Just to make sure everyone understands what’s up:  this round was a freebie, no-one is going anywhere just yet. You can all send for the next round.

Just to clarify: I tend to be overly critical or harsh when reviewing music. This is obviously not a personal attack on you, but an honest way of expressing how I feel about music. There’s so much music out there that I’ve already heard (and I’m not really exaggerating here, although there’s a TON I haven’t heard as well) and with every band I get into there’s more to dislike about the next. I’ve found that it’s very easy to appreciate something when there’s not a lot of it around, but with the case of music, I have so much to choose from that it’s far easier to dismiss something as ‘boring’ or ‘bland’ and move on to the next. I’m not one to keep trying to get into a band if my first experience with them stinks, because there’s too much out there that begs to be listened to as well. This can reflect in my write-ups.

Without further ado, here are the results for the first songs you guys submitted.:

---

Participant: Dr. DTVT
Band – Song: Kino – Losers’ Day Parade

Kino is a band I had never heard of, but of course I looked up some background information and found out they’re a supergroup consisting of some figures of the contemporary progressive rock scene, most notably Pete Trewavas, Chris Maitland (ex-Porcupine Tree) and John Mitchell (Arena, Frost*, It Bites). This song was however quite a little heavier than the aforementioned bands and the overall style is one I can very much relate to. In fact, this song is a series of awesome parts after each other. I would say the guitar lines in this song are of the most apparent quality, but they’re backed by a solid rhythm section with nice synthesizers and great vocal lines on top. This was the best song I received this round, I enjoyed this one a lot. It’s a shame this band only made one album and it seems like it’s a difficult one to get your hands on as well.

Participant: Scorpion
Band – Song: Dog Fashion Disco – Struck by Lightning

Scorpion knows way too well what kind of music I like. At least for this round, he hit the nail on the head. I’ve seen this band mentioned lots of times before on DTF, but I never got to check them out (and they only have one album on Spotify, so that doesn’t really help). This song is wacky, yet very accessible. I would say that the best part of this song is definitely the chorus, which is catchy as hell. And where you thought this would remain a poppy metal-tune, that weird bridge comes in. This song in a way reminds me of Mr. Bungle (of which I’m a great fan), in particular the album California. I wouldn’t be surprised if this band took that album as an inspiration for this tune. I liked this one a lot and I will check this band out further!

Participant: Nihil-Morari
Band – Song: Gentle Giant – Peel the Paint

I got this submission, because of an apparent lack of ‘older’ prog on my last.fm. You’re right! While I do like some older prog, I tend to delve more into the heavier subgenres of progressive rock/metal, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like the older stuff. There’s always a place to appreciate the roots of the music genres you like most. And although I’ve heard all the ‘big’ bands, like Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Marillion and so on, I had indeed never listened to Gentle Giant before. Now, this song was the song that got Nihil-Morari into this band and he thought I might like it too. And I did! Wow, there’s lots of awesome stuff in here, but you have to take the time to listen for it. In fact, the first time I turned this on, I nearly stopped after 2 minutes, because I didn’t get what was going on and found it a little boring overall. But then that second part came in and everything made sense! What I thought to be a boring song at first, turned out to be an awesome song overall and one of the better submissions of this round. Thanks!

Participant: jingle.boy
Band – Song: Vanden Plas – Rainmaker

I’ve seen this band live.. at least twice I think, yet I never went to check them out afterwards. I have no idea why I never did. Perhaps their stage presence do much to me, or the sound at the shows could have been bad. It also could have been a case of seeing them at random Prog festivals where other bands would blow me out of the water and this band got stuck in being ‘just average’, while they are in fact very good. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the music. In fact, this is some very solid progressive metal, with a couple of power metal influences. They remind me a little of Pagan’s Mind or Seventh Wonder. Maybe I should check this band out a little and then I can appreciate them the next time I see them at a random festival. Thanks for opening my eyes and making me realise that there’s no reason not to listen to this band. Although not the best I received this round, this song was still pretty awesome!

Participant: Evermind
Band – Song: Jon Lord – Pictured Within

I’m usually not that into ballads and while I try to be open-minded going into the songs sent, I had some doubts with this one, because ballads tend to be very hit-or-miss with me. But holy shit, this is freaking beautiful. I know Jon Lord only from his work with Deep Purple and this stuff is very different from your Space Truckin’, Lazy or Child in Time. I looked this up and found out that he isn’t singing himself. The singer (Miller Anderson) does a beautiful job and making this piece come to life, but the piano playing by Lord is just fantastic as well. This was a very surprising submission and one that I liked far more than I initially though when I read the description!

Participant: senecadawg2
Band – Song: Helker – No Chance to be Reborn

There’s not a whole lot to say about this one. This is a very straight-forward heavy/power metal song with a very catchy chorus. The singer does an excellent job at sounding absolutely badass – including a ridiculous over the top high note at the end of the chorus. I do like this kind of music indeed; you go that right, but I like it a bit faster usually. And also not too much after each other (not that this is any criterion I’m judging this on) By no means a bad song, but I think this could grow to be stale very quickly, especially if the rest of the band’s output sounds similar.

Participant: Lonestar
Band – Song: Woven Distortion – War-Torn Soul

How the hell did you find this band? I only got a bandcamp link from our resident master chef and this band doesn’t have a website and their Facebook page hasn’t been posted on in over a year and has less than 150 likes. It’s almost like this band doesn’t really exist (anymore), but the music is here. And it’s pretty awesome! The guitar sounds wonderful, as do the other instruments. I would say the weakest part of the song is by far the vocals. The Lines aren’t really that interesting and his voice isn’t too good. I don’t know what happened to the two dudes that wrote this, but they should find a (better) vocalist and continue making music, because this song is just a very solid rocking tune.

Participant: Tom Bombadil
Band – Song: Blackfield - Lullaby

This is indeed one of Steven Wilson’s (side) projects I haven’t really delved into. I also haven’t heard Bass Communion or No Man, so I don’t know where you got the idea that I have listened to ‘pretty much every other Steven Wilson side project’. I’ve heard Storm Corrosion, which I didn’t really think that much of, and of course his solo work and Porcupine Tree. It’s absolutely a toss up between those two which one I like best, but I’m fairly positive I like Wilson’s experimental side more and my favourite albums of his are Signify and Coma Divine (which is technically a live album, but I don’t care; it’s his best as far as I’m concerned). Now, why am I typing all of this? Because this isn’t Steven Wilson at his finest moment, if I may be frank. This song is by no means bad and in fact blows many other depressing songs out of the water and it’s Wilson doing what he’s good at: write a heart-wrenching piece of music, but coming from a man who has written stuff like Heartattack in a Layby, or Insurgentes, this seems a bit too simple and too easy. I do appreciate this song for what it is, but if all of Blackfield sounds similar, I doubt I could listen to a full album worth of this.

Participant: Sacul
Band – Song: David Maxim Micic – Where is Now

You sent me a song from Destiny Potato first and since I heard that one before, I had you send something else. Now, that song from Destiny Potato would have scored a lot better than this one here. The problem with these djent bands (or in this case, it appears to be one djent dude) is that they completely fail to keep my attention. Similar to the song title making absolutely no sense whatsoever, the music itself doesn’t make sense. It feels ridiculously disjointed, with random stuff thrown in. That guitar solo after the random scat-singing part is especially ill-placed, apart from it being a horrendous solo as well. I can appreciate the technicality and the skill of the guitarist, but this didn’t work at all for me.

Participant: Big Hath
Band – Song: johnny Q. Public – P.K.

Another band I had never heard of. Turns out they were a Christian rock band that broke up in 2001, which pretty much explains why I’ve never heard of them or never even seen them mentioned. Well, this was one of the less interesting songs I received this round, and that mainly because it felt bland all the way through. Although the chorus is quite uplifting, the singer does a great job at sounding exactly the same throughout the whole song. There’s not a lot of variation in the vocal lines and that makes it not very interesting to listen to for me, especially when the rest of the instruments follows roughly the same patterns all the way through. The song also has nothing that really stands out – a bridge, or a great solo or anything – so it remains in very ‘average’ territory. I likely won’t listen to this one again.

---

So that’s it for this round. Excuse the (very) lengthy write-ups. I doubt I can keep this up for the coming rounds. Had this been the next round, Sacul and Big Hath would be eliminated here, as I liked their submissions the least. However, as stated a million times before, this first round would see no eliminations. Depending on when everybody sends in their next songs, I can have the results for the next round before next weekend. Thanks for the music so far! :)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:22:03 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Elite's Roulette v3: Baffle Me - Round 1 Results - Send Round 2!
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
Screw you Chad, I was going to send this exact Vanden Plas song in the next round. :lol

I actually thought that Jon Lord song would put me into the would-be-eliminated position, but I'm glad you liked it. The whole album is really beautiful.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
Interesting. I found them by what I call "Bandcamp fishing trips", where I just wander the site clicking on all types of stuff. I've found some very impressive stuff that way. Just testing some new material for upcoming roulettes, broadening my arsenal so to speak.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
note to self: for round 2 don't send the first song that plays on "random" from your music library
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 12:31:08 PM »
note to self: for round 2 don't send the first song that plays on "random" from your music library

Are you fucking kidding me? :lol
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 01:04:24 PM »
Cool- I can live with a middle-of-the-pack opener.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »
I'm trying to figure out why I sent that song that I knew was extremely safe, and not held on to it - other than the reason I listened to that album the day I sent it  :lol

So, are those in order from favorite to least?  You sort of implied it, but didn't say it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
So, are those in order from favorite to least?  You sort of implied it, but didn't say it.

Yeah, they are. It's also how I'm going to post the results for all subsequent rounds.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »
The results are posted in the order of how much I liked them.

Reading comprehension, Doc.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 01:37:27 PM »
The results are posted in the order of how much I liked them.

Reading comprehension, Doc.

Which is what you fail at, because I didn't specify whether it would be top to bottom or vice versa. Then again, I did state the bottom two songs would be eliminated, so that would mean they are poster in the order of favourite to least.
Squ

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
What do you think about the live tracks by the way? Are we allowed to send these?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
Yay! Totally expected this :rollin .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »
You can send me a live track, but I'd rather not have you send me random home-made concert videos, as they tend to be bad. Official live releases are fine however. Just keep in mind that when the sound quality is bad, it can drastically influence my thoughts of the music.
Squ

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
Got it.

I'm gonna dwell on it for a bit, will send Sunday.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
Good thing I sent that this round. :lol  Will send tomorrow.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
Sent.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
Sent.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 08:00:44 AM »
Have I sent? So many roulettes that I losing track. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 09:29:11 AM »
No you have not!
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »
I have now.

Yeah, playing in four roulettes was a mistake.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »
At least you haven't been eliminated on one of them :rollin .

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »
Sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 11:31:09 AM »
Right on, I got just over half the songs so far :) so the other guys, send them in, you know who you are! :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:39:34 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »
At least you haven't been eliminated on one of them :rollin .

Well, Elite can fix that if he wants to  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Great Vanden Plas song, underrated band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 02:54:37 AM »
I'll be sending mine shortly!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
Just thought I ask, how is it going? Have you got all songs?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »
Yes, results on Saturday! I actually quite know how the standings are going to be, but I won't have the time to type in and post all that stuff until Saturday evening. Expect results in the same fashion as last time.
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2015, 12:24:06 PM »
Hey guys, it was nice to play this. Emm, thanks for the opportunity and good luck to all the other participants :lol .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Typing out the results right now.
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »
:caffeine:
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.