Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 116562 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Queen)
« Reply #700 on: May 27, 2015, 08:13:57 AM »
Good stuff.  Not my favorite Queen album, but solid.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Queen)
« Reply #701 on: May 27, 2015, 08:14:28 AM »
Really good rocking album that has some good songs apart from the obvious hits.

But the combination of 80s Classic Albums and Queen will always be "A Kind Of Magic".
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Sammy Hagar)
« Reply #702 on: May 30, 2015, 08:58:14 AM »

Standing Hampton is loaded with songs that are still classic rock mainstays.  Of course, I live in St. Louis, where people think Sammy Hagar is a god, but I still think this qualifies as a classic album.  It's easy to forgot how prolific Hagar was before joining Van Halen, but he had a ton of good songs in the 70s and early 80s, and this album is a fine example of how good he could be as a solo artist.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: May 30, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »
Cool album -  There's Only One Way To Rock and Heavy Metal are faves of mine.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #704 on: May 30, 2015, 09:00:45 AM »
This was my introduction to Sammy's solo work.  This album got me hooked.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: May 30, 2015, 09:01:59 AM »
The first I knew of Sammy was in VH and There's Only One Way To Rock opened up Live Without A Net , which then got me investigating his solo work.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #706 on: May 30, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »
I'm sure others will know what other videos of his were played in those days, but I Can't Drive 55 is the only one I remember seeing.  Heck, my reaction when I heard he was in VH was, "The I Can't Drive 55 guy is the new singer."  :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: May 30, 2015, 09:06:22 AM »
They played him a lot and I got to hear his song, Don Fleder & Cheap Trick on the Heavy Metal soundtrack.  I got it for Cheap Trick though my cousin had standing Hampton which got me into Sammy after I got the soundtrack album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #708 on: May 30, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
Solid album.  Sammy is the man.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: May 30, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »
I think I have a vinyl copy of this into attic. I wa never a big Sammy fan. It's not that I didn't like him...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #710 on: May 30, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »
His best album. I;m no huge fan but he has a great best of.

I have a 7 inch picture disc with Piece Of My Heart on it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #711 on: May 30, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
Sammy was EXTREMELY regional. (Back in the day when there was such a thing)

Seattle DJ's LOVED Sammy Hagar, and constantly grew up with multiple Hagar tracks on the radio. When the Internet age came along and people started saying they had never heard of him till I Can't Drive 55...I was shocked.

The following songs were played to death on Seattle rock radio. As in....played so often, you hardly needed to own the album...

This Planet's On Fire (Burn In Hell)
I've Done Everything For You
Plain Jane
Red
All 5 songs from side one of Standing Hampton
Three Lock Box
I Don't Need Love
Remember the Heroes
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #712 on: May 30, 2015, 06:15:12 PM »
Add to that list:

Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy 

I was looking at the RIAA listings for his albums...his last 4 albums (edit- before he joined VH) were all Top 40 albums and two of them went platinum with one going gold.   Did all of these albums just sell in certain sections of the country?   I don't get why no one heard of him before VH.    I mean, he wasn't VH huge, but with a dozen songs in rotation on rock radio (not even to mention his two *huge* hits with Montrose) the guy was not even close to being the nobody that people sometimes paint him out to be.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:50:39 PM by jammindude »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #713 on: May 30, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
People down here certainly knew who he was, but he didn't get much airplay until Standing Hampton and then he blew up with 3LB. But in any event I'm certainly surprised people didn't know him before VH. I saw an intereview where he said that joining VH was far from an easy decision, as he liked where his career was at and becoming a full-time member of VH would represent a significant pay cut at that point. Obviously it worked out smashingly for him, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: May 30, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »
  I don't get why no one heard of him before VH.   

In my case at least it was an age and location thing.   I was 12 yo when 5150 came out ,so I was doing okay just to be a Van Halen fan  ;D  And I'm pretty sure I can still say to this day that I have never heard a Sammy solo track on Australian radio.  He just wasn't big out here - like a number of other American/Canadian artists in this thread (Squier, Triumph etc...)

If Wikipedia is accurate ,none of his albums charted outside the US.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:31:51 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #715 on: May 30, 2015, 09:37:34 PM »
^^^^^^^

Yes, but there are many US fans that claim he was an absolute nobody before joining VH.   Many online claim that they had never heard of him before he scored a "minor hit" with I Can't Drive 55.    This was HARDLY my experience.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #716 on: May 30, 2015, 10:58:05 PM »
jammindude, I think you nailed it earlier when you said he was regional.  There are just some cities where he was and still is huge.  I live in one of them (St. Louis).

Let me put it this way: every year during the NCAA tournament, KSHE-95 (our local hard rock radio station) does a bracket where fans get to vote for the best band, and the winner is always Rush (they are huge here, too), Zeppelin, Floyd or solo Sammy Hagar.  Hagar has won it more than once.  Think about that: Sammy Hagar being voted by fans as being better than Rush or LZ or Floyd. Sound crazy, but it just shows how popular he is here.  KSHE was on board with him since the 70s, and Hagar has often spoke glowingly about both STL and KSHE.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #717 on: May 30, 2015, 11:16:13 PM »
Even then, it's still *a bit* surprising considering that Montrose had *three* classic rock staples with SH as the voice.   Space Station, Bad Motor Scooter and Rock Candy.  The biggest of these is probably Rock Candy...I mean, that song is practically as big as Smoke on the Water.    That song alone should make him bigger than a nobody.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #718 on: May 30, 2015, 11:25:54 PM »
I wouldn't go that far. :lol ;)

I mean, Smoke on the Water has probably one of the two or three most recognizable riffs ever, but that is a whole other topic for another thread... :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: May 30, 2015, 11:32:24 PM »
Montrose wasn't even close to Deep Purple's popularity.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #720 on: May 30, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »
I'd say that Montrose is completely unknown here. I wouldn't even know they existed if it weren't for Van Hagar. Pretty sure every man and his dog in the world knows Smoke on the Water though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #721 on: May 30, 2015, 11:45:29 PM »
Dat riff for Rock Candy????   People didn't know that???

I mean...that's one of the most famous riffs in the history of rock!!!   Even Sammy says that whenever anyone jams with him, they don't want to jam to any VH song or any solo song....Rock Candy is the song he's most known for.

"'Rock Candy' is like a standard for bands like Def Leppard or The Cult. Over the years, anybody who wants to jam with me wants to jam 'Rock Candy' - Chad Smith, Joe Satriani, Matt Sorum, Slash. Lemmy from Motörhead came up to me at a show in England, and what did Lemmy say? 'Fucking Rock Candy, mate.'"  - Sammy Hagar

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 30, 2015, 11:47:10 PM »
Nope. Regional. I wouldn't put it on any list of famous rock riffs. I couldn't even remember how the riff went despite knowing the song. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: May 30, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »
I have the album and Rock Candy doesn't register with me  :lol   If there's one track I associate with Montrose it's Rock The Nation and ,less so , Bad Motor Scooter.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #724 on: May 30, 2015, 11:52:20 PM »
Hagar is a good guy, but he has the tendency to, well, overhype himself and his own music. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #725 on: May 30, 2015, 11:54:04 PM »
Well...come on.   He could've "picked" anything.   Why not brag about one of his solo pieces instead of a riff that someone he famously doesn't get along with wrote? 

EDIT - Look it up and I promise you.   Rock Candy has been *covered* more than any other song Sammy has sung.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: May 30, 2015, 11:56:43 PM »
Hagar is a good guy, but he has the tendency to, well, overhype himself and his own music. 

There's also the bias that a rock musician who wants to jam with Sammy Hagar is going to be familiar with Sammy Hagar's music specifically.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #727 on: May 31, 2015, 12:15:14 AM »
Yeah, he does. I think that was one of the things that bugged me about his book.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jammindude

« Reply #728 on: May 31, 2015, 02:14:41 AM »
After posting Rock Candy on Facebook and asking locals to back me up, I discovered something I *did not* know.....apparantly, Sammy has several relatives in this area.   Some of them apparently have some pull with local radio. 

I'm JUST NOW learning this, so it explains A LOT!   :angel:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #729 on: May 31, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »
I've never encountered anyone that was actually listening to rock radio at that time who claimed that they had never heard of Sammy before he joined Van Halen. 

However, even though his solo stuff was played a LOT down here, I still - to this date - have never heard anything from Montrose on the radio, ever.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #730 on: May 31, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
My cousin who is 44 and grew up in the Bay Area just told me that Rock Candy and Bad Motor Scooter were constantly on the radio down there...though he did say he always thought they were Hagar songs. He wouldn't discover that they were actually Montrose tracks til later.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #731 on: May 31, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
People down here certainly knew who he was, but he didn't get much airplay until Standing Hampton and then he blew up with 3LB. But in any event I'm certainly surprised people didn't know him before VH. I saw an intereview where he said that joining VH was far from an easy decision, as he liked where his career was at and becoming a full-time member of VH would represent a significant pay cut at that point. Obviously it worked out smashingly for him, though.
Our radio station only played I'll Fall In Love Again and There's only One Way To Rock. And like Bart said, his career really took off with Three Lock Box. He was absolutely peaking when the VH thing came along. No wonder it was a tough choice. IF VH came calling in 1982 or 1983, there would have been no reason for him not to join.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #732 on: May 31, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
Okay so kinda off topic but are we gonna have another thread like this *puts on glasses* for the 90s? :hat

Offline jammindude

« Reply #733 on: May 31, 2015, 11:47:44 AM »
Okay so kinda off topic but are we gonna have another thread like this *puts on glasses* for the 90s? :hat

No.  Because any classic albums of the 90's would involve albums that are detested in the prog rock community at large.   Example...you could not have that thread and not include Nevermind....and then the entire thread would just turn into a bash session. 

I defend Kurt's icon status, but I get crickets every time I do.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: May 31, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
What?  Come on jamin!  That's the worst excuse to not do one.  I openly welcome that thread!