Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117414 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: George Michael)
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »
When you said

...but I don't want this thread to be nothing but rock and metal albums.

i just thought there was plenty classic 80's pop albums to talk about instead of just one or two.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »
Give him time man.  He just started! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2015, 04:29:11 PM »
Not a George Michael fan in the slightest but I did think "fastlove" was a good pop tune.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »
Faith was and is a fantastic album.  Great songwriting, and George Michael had one of the best voices of that era.  Nothing wrong here.

Favorite song is probably Father Figure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
Rumor has it, Hugh played on all the albums.
Is that true?
I had heard that as well.  Sort of what Cinderella did with their drummer Fred Coury.

- Bon Jovi are credited with "inventing" the unplugged-style performances due to the 1989 MTV Awards performance.

I remember seeing that at the time, and even my 13 year old not-really-a-Bon-Jovi-fan brain thought it was awesome.

I actually had to look that up because I was convinced that it was wrong and that Tesla were actually the originators of that.  As it turns out, it is actually tough to decide which was first.  Telsa did an unplugged gig on S.F. Bay Area radio station QRQR prior to the MTV music award thing.  The unexpected huge response it got led them to do their short string of unplugged club gigs on nights they weren't scheduled to play on their 1990 tour.  The unexpected huge response to that led someone to suggest that they record it and release it as an album, and we got Five Man Accoustical Jam.  But in terms of anything that got BIG exposure, it is correct that Bon Jovi was first by a few months.  So there you have it.

Bruce:  No denying how huge the album was, but I have nothing to contribute.  Just never got into him.

Ozzy:  This was my first Ozzy album and was the second "hard rock" album I ever owned (Van Halen I was the first).  Loved it from start to finish at the time, and for a long time after.  Ozzy has grown to be one of those few artists that so puts me off that I don't care to listen to the music, no matter how good it might be.  But even though I no longer have a copy of this album, I still have fond memories and great respect for the material.

George Michael:  Never was a fan.  Nothing to contribute to the discussion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »
But as far as the Unplugged part of the set, I would put Led Zeppelin as the originators, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »
But as far as the Unplugged part of the set, I would put Led Zeppelin as the originators, no?

I think we are talking the resurgence of the acoustic set and MTV riding that wave.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Journey)
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2015, 07:43:54 PM »

I was never a huge fan of Journey, outside of the hits, but this album is good.  The hits for one are mostly outstanding - I am not wild about "Open Arms," but "Don't Stop Believin'," "Who's Crying Now" and "Stone in Love" are all fantastic songs.  It's been a while since I've spun the rest of the album; I'll try to do so this week.  In the meantime, discuss Escape.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2015, 07:58:47 PM »
Well this album had stuff all exposure in Australia until the resurrection of DSB for Glee. In fact I'd hazard a guess that the first Perry related track I heard on the radio was Oh Sherrie.  ** 

My early years were spent with bands like KISS, Van Halen, Def leppard , Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Ozzy etc.......and some softer melodic rock like Toto, Foreigner  and so forth.   But it wasn't until years later (late high school years) when I became better connected in the melodic rock scene that I even heard about Journey. I kept hearing that this Escape record was the bees knees and so I had to find out what the fuss was about.   

Personally I prefer the harder rocking Frontiers but there's no denying that this is one of THE classic AOR/melodic rock albums.  It cemented the change in direction that began earlier with Perry's arrival and remains their biggest album for good reason.

** I just checked and it makes some sense.  Open Arms barely made the Aussie Top 50 , whereas Oh Sherrie went top 5.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:06:13 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2015, 08:10:55 PM »
Well this album had stuff all exposure in Australia until the resurrection of DSB for Glee. In fact I'd hazard a guess that the first Perry related track I heard on the radio was Oh Sherrie.  ** 

I can't recall ever hearing Journey on the radio (like MMM back in the day). Like you, it wasn't until I got into melodic rock that I discovered Journey, although much more recently than you.

Escape is a really strong album, probably my favourite by Journey (although there are others that come close).
The only song I really don't like is Dead or Alive, and Who's Crying Now is a bit dull unless I'm particularly in the mood to hear it. But it has Don't Stop Believing, Mother, Father, Open Arms, some great rocking tracks like Keep On Runnin' and Lay It Down, and my personal favourite Stone in Love with that epic as hell outro solo. It's a tie between that and Separate Ways for my favourite Journey song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:27 PM »
+1 on Stone in Love.   NO WAY that song ever gets the props it deserves.

Journey could pretty much do no wrong between Infinity and Frontiers.   My personal favorite is still Infinity, because it still carries some mild call backs to their earlier, more progressive material that they would pretty much abandon completely with Evolution.  (to draw a Genesis parallel...Infinity is kindof their "Duke")   But this is probably the strongest of the 80's albums. 

Stone In Love, Mother Father, Keep On Runnin, Still They Ride....just a non-stop AOR eargasm. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »
Dammit Kev!  You were supposed to do Erasure!

This album and Joan Jett's album was heard on the recess in the schoolyard for a year straight.  Top to bottom a fantastic album that holds it's own today.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
Probably not my favourite Journey album as it has a few tracks I'm not a big fan of, but it's certainly up there and it does contain quite a few of the best songs they've ever done. :letam:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »
Escape is awesome.  All killer, no filler. 

JD, I agree wholeheartedly about Stone In Love.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2015, 08:21:18 AM »
This album crossed so many formats and that's how it blew up.  Rock stations placed SIL & DSB while the pop stations played WCN & OA.  Massive, massive exposure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »
I honestly think that if you could pick just ONE album that defines 80's Rock, it would be Escape.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »
Remember old fart The Blue Jean Network and the concerts on TV.  I think the Escape Tour was the first aired.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2015, 01:04:09 PM »
I wasn't a big Journey fan back in the day but one of my mates was. He loaned me this album and I liked it.Frontiers was good too but had a bit of filler. Raised on Radio was complete crap, housewife music. The Captured live album was great though.

My favourite album of theirs is Arrival though. I'm just not that big a Steve Perry fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »
Remember old fart The Blue Jean Network and the concerts on TV.  I think the Escape Tour was the first aired.
Yup, and MTV also aired those concerts on Saturday night. I remember the Rush Exit Stage Left one. I used to sleep over at my grandmother's house on Saturdays just to watch the concerts as she lived in the city and had cable. I lived in the boonies.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
I bought Escape as a young man who had rode the bus out to a local mall with his sisters. That day, a Beatles cover band was playing some sets, each one focused on a different period of time of the band with them wearing appropriate costumes. I was at the edge of this crowd, trying to see over the crowd, when I looked down and saw someone had dropped ten dollars on the ground, a five and five ones. Nonchalantly I bent to tie my shoe and snatched up the money, and ran to the record store where I bought Escape for the massive price of $5.99. My sisters, of course, wanted some of the money, but I spent the rest at a bookstore.

Years later I kind of regretted using the money on Escape, because of their run of monster albums up to Frontiers, this was my least favorite of them  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2015, 04:43:51 PM »
Love me some Journey and this is a very good album. Prefer their earlier pre-Perry stuff, but that's not 80's.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:47 PM »
Frontiers was good too but had a bit of filler.

Drop a couple of the dogs (Back Talk for instance) and add in the two soundtrack specials that were (stupidly) left off -  Ask The Lonely and Only The Young - and that's my favourite Journey album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
Frontiers was good too but had a bit of filler.

Drop a couple of the dogs (Back Talk for instance) and add in the two soundtrack specials that were (stupidly) left off -  Ask The Lonely and Only The Young - and that's my favourite Journey album.

Man I hate Back Talk. But I also don't like Only the Young. :lol
I love Ask The Lonely though. I have a more recent remaster of Frontiers which does include those two tracks luckily.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »
Top to bottom a fantastic album that holds it's own today.

Agreed.  This was one of the first albums I ever bought, and I played it nonstop.  I would have to say that in terms of influencing my musical direction in life, this album was HUGE for me.  Although this album definitely has different tiers in terms of song strength, I would not say there is a weak track on the entire album.

I love Ask The Lonely though. I have a more recent remaster of Frontiers which does include those two tracks luckily.

Yeah, I have that version too.  IMO, that's how you do it when you re-release an album.  Include additional content that is historically relevant, whether it be unlreleased songs, B-sides, stuff that went to soundtracks, live recordings, ...whatever.  Here, we got 4 tracks from that era that really complete the package. 

I get the decision that was made back then.  They wanted strong tracks for the soundtracks, which ultimately was good for the band.  Since we ultimately were able to get a release that included all of them, which may not have been the case if the album was already strong and the weaker tracks may have been less in-demand, we may never have seen Troubled Child see the light of day, so I am glad it worked out the way it did.  I really like Troubled Child.  One of the few songs I personally ever wrote, which I called Runaway, drew strongly from Troubled Child and Diary of a Madman.

I still don't even really remember how Liberty or Only Solutions go, but it is still cool to have them.  :lol
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:49:10 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Mötley Crüe)
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »

This is one of the rare albums that I owned on cassette back in the day, but never bought the CD.  Once I started buying CDs, I just never thought this was that great to own. I don't really remember a lot of it either.  The hits were good.  The title track is a great tune still, and "Kickstart My Heart" is one of those songs that you can't help but turn up and rock out to.  "Without You" was a favorite of mine back in the day, but it didn't age well for me at all.  I know this is considered a glam metal/hair metal, so I am sure that are some that think much more of this now than I do. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:10 PM »
For some reason I tend to go for the older stuff (Shout At The Devil,  Girls,Girls,Girls) if I ever feel the need to play the Crue but this is probably their most polished album.   Perhaps I just got overloaded with it.....a bit like Appetite For Destruction.  Great album but I never feel like playing it these days.

Aside from Slice of Your Pie I think I enjoyed every track on Dr Feelgood.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »
Crue were actually considered badasses when Shout at the Devil was new and they were opening for Ozzy on the Bark at the Moon tour.   That was why there was such a collective WTF when they dropped the leather and studs in favor of pink spandex and sappy ballads for Theater of Pain.   Girls Girls Girls was just OK...but seriously.  Crue was kinda one of those bands you went to see because your girlfriend wanted to hear Home Sweet Home.   

Dr Feelgood was, to me, a pretty decent "comeback" album.  Not quite as stellar as their earlier work, but still had a LOT more teeth than the previous two albums.   The title track and Kickstart by themselves are among their all time heaviest songs.

I still can't figure out why the word "legend" gets tossed around with these guys.   They had several "hits" and a couple really great albums...but they've never had that string of fantastic albums in a row that elevate a band to the status of "legend". 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2015, 06:23:09 AM »
From the opening whammy bar to the chugging guitar of Dr. Feelgood every damn song is catchy on this album.  Just loved this album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »
I will always reach for SATD when I want to hear classic Crue.

This one has some good rockers and is pretty good overall.  A little too slick though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »
Crue were actually considered badasses when Shout at the Devil was new and they were opening for Ozzy on the Bark at the Moon tour.   That was why there was such a collective WTF when they dropped the leather and studs in favor of pink spandex and sappy ballads for Theater of Pain.   Girls Girls Girls was just OK...but seriously.  Crue was kinda one of those bands you went to see because your girlfriend wanted to hear Home Sweet Home.   

Dr Feelgood was, to me, a pretty decent "comeback" album.  Not quite as stellar as their earlier work, but still had a LOT more teeth than the previous two albums.   The title track and Kickstart by themselves are among their all time heaviest songs.

I still can't figure out why the word "legend" gets tossed around with these guys.   They had several "hits" and a couple really great albums...but they've never had that string of fantastic albums in a row that elevate a band to the status of "legend".
I agree with a lot of this.

I was really shocked at the writing and performance of Dr. Feelgood. Seemed like Motley Crue really progressed in both.

I think the "legend" term is thrown about as they were really the poster boys for 80's arena rock. I saw the TOP, GGG, and Dr. F tours. I went not because of any girlfriend, but because they put on an awesome show. I wasn't even really into them, but their shows were can't miss.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »
I wasn't even really into them, but their shows were can't miss.

I was never a huge fan either (nothing made my Top 100 albums/artists) apart from a few tracks but , like you , I went to a couple of gigs mostly for the show.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2015, 12:07:28 AM »

I was never a huge fan either (nothing made my Top 100 albums/artists) apart from a few tracks but , like you , I went to a couple of gigs mostly for the show.

and the boatload of women

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:35 AM »
Don't forget Tommy's tit-cam  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2015, 12:16:43 AM »

and the boatload of women

At the time...I went for the women as well.   I saw the GGG tour in Seattle and I thought it was boring as hell except for all the girls walking around in their underwear. 

The next time I saw them was on the New Tattoo tour, and I only went because Anthrax and Megadeth opened.   MC disappointed a second time.   Maybe I just saw the wrong shows.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2015, 12:19:27 AM »
I think the quality of MC shows varies a lot depending on which version of Vince turns up.  He can be anything from horrific to pretty good.

www.theguitardojo.com.au