Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 116540 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Bruce Springsteen)
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 06:54:23 AM »
I have total respect for Bruce as an artist. I wish I liked his classic stuff more. It's just not really the kind of music that I'm into, but his 3-4 hour shows are legendary.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline masterthes

Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Bruce Springsteen)
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:43 AM »
Love this album actually. Glory Days is my favorite from the album

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Ozzy Osbourne)
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 04:15:28 PM »
Hmmm, not much chatter for The Boss, and I don't want this thread to fall off too early ;), so we move on...

Ozzy's Osbourne, Blizzard of Ozz, is an undeniable classic.  It does have a few songs I am not wild about, and songs like "Crazy Train" and "I Don't Know" have both reached that "I don't care if I ever hear them again" status, but they are both still great tunes.  I'll never tire of "Revelation (Mother Earth)" and "Mr. Crowley," both of which are on my list of go-to Ozzy solo songs.  The guitar playing of Randy Rhoads obviously stands out big time on this classic metal record.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 04:18:23 PM »
I overplayed this album as a young teen.  Great album but I don't play it as much anymore.  I always joked when that happened as the "Led Zeppelin 4 syndrome".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PetFish

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 04:26:20 PM »
I think we should have one thread per 80s band.  I couldn't find the Bon Jovi one and now I see it turned into Springsteen and now Ozzy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »
I overplayed this album as a young teen.  Great album but I don't play it as much anymore.  I always joked when that happened as the "Led Zeppelin 4 syndrome".

:lol :lol I know what you mean!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »
I think we should have one thread per 80s band.  I couldn't find the Bon Jovi one and now I see it turned into Springsteen and now Ozzy.

You sound like an old man.  This coming from an old man! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Hmmm, not much chatter for The Boss, and I don't want this thread to fall off too early ;), so we move on...

Ozzy's Osbourne, Blizzard of Ozz, is an undeniable classic.  It does have a few songs I am not wild about, and songs like "Crazy Train" and "I Don't Know" have both reached that "I don't care if I ever hear them again" status, but they are both still great tunes.  I'll never tire of "Revelation (Mother Earth)" and "Mr. Crowley," both of which are on my list of go-to Ozzy solo songs.  The guitar playing of Randy Rhoads obviously stands out big time on this classic metal record.

One of the greatest albums ever made BUT I still think the followup is better.  This one has a few clunkers like Steal Away (The Night) and No Bone Movies.  I also think Crazy Train is one of the weaker songs but I do love the solo section.  Every other song is FLAWLESS!!!  The lyrics are great (and you can thank Bob Daisley for that. 

I also think the rhythm section is the most criminally underrated in history.  Daisley has finally been given his due (to an extent, he deserves much more) but Lee Kerslake is still given the shaft.  That man is the most solid drummer out there, meaning that he plays only what needs to be played.  That isn't to say he doesn't have some killer and complex drum patterns/fills, he's not a Dave Holland that mostly plays the most basic of rhythm, but he isn't going to showboat for no reason.  His work on Diary of a Madman still blows me away. 

For the record, 50% of Diary of a Madman, including the title track, was written without any input from Ozzy.  Kerslake wrote the vocal melodies for that one, lyrics of course by Daisley, most of the riffs by Randy, and composed by the 3 of them. 

also for the record, the first two albums were supposed to be known under the moniker Blizzard of Ozz.  Technically the two albums were not solo albums.  All of the shows they performed were billed as Blizzard of Ozz.  The first album comes out and they think, gee, thats great....the name of our band and album title is smaller than the featured performers name which they obviously knew was going to get billing being that he was more famous than the rest of them.  Then the second album comes out but Daisley and Kerslake were fired shortly before that so they had no say and didn't even get credited as performers!  Randy apparently wanted to quit in response but Daisley convinced him to stay.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
Crap. I used to play Steal Away The  Night in a cover band.  I like that song!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »
Legendary album - effectively made the top 10 in my Top 50 but I listed Randy Rhoads Tribute instead as I think the songs had even more impact in a live environment.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:02:40 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »
Goodbye to Romance is flawless? That song is terrible.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »
Goodbye to Romance is flawless! That song isn't terrible.

FTFY

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 08:30:26 PM »
Worst. Ballad. Ever.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 08:35:28 PM »
Count me in as feeling this is a classic preamble to a flawless masterpiece which came next. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
This is a great release, but Diary takes it to another level

Offline jammindude

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »

For the record, 50% of Diary of a Madman, including the title track, was written without any input from Ozzy.  Kerslake wrote the vocal melodies for that one, lyrics of course by Daisley, most of the riffs by Randy, and composed by the 3 of them. 

I've suspected that has been true ever since.     No I take that back....  I would actually be surprised if Ozzy had any more than a suggestive part in his own material since Randy died.   

My glorified version of an Ozzy Osbourne album "writing" session...

Ozzy: "I want to write a song about death!"

Team of advisors sitting next to a convenient *mountain* of submitted ghost written "songs about death":  Ozzy!!  You're a GENIUS!!!  What key do you want it in? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 11:49:57 PM »
While I'd give the slight edge to Diary, both Rhoads albums are classics. I wouldn't say there's a single bad song on the album, although for a while I didn't like Suicide Solution so much. Even the B-side "You Looking at Me, Looking at You" is pretty damn good.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 12:11:26 AM »
Crap. I used to play Steal Away The  Night in a cover band.  I like that song!

One of his best songs ever IMHO.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
I'm the casual fan that likes Crazy Train.

Most of the rest of Ozzy's music does nothing for me.  But I love the album No More Tears, probably because of Wylde's playing. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 02:52:17 PM »
This is a great release, but Diary takes it to another level

I have always felt this way too, but as the years have passed, I feel like Blizzard is right there with it.

MY Blizzard story, as told in my The TAC Top 50 is this:
"I first became aware of Ozzy when I was in the 7th grade (80/81). My father taught high school and one
of his students brought in a cassette of Blizzard Of Ozz. Did my father like heavy metal? Hell no. But being
that my last name is Crowley, one of his students thought he might get a kick out of the song. Well, he
didn't...but I DID! This tape was incredible!"

Randy had such a great future ahead of him. Such a tragedy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 09:12:03 PM »
I'm with those who think Goodbye to Romance is pretty forgettable. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »
I'm with those who think Goodbye to Romance is pretty forgettable.

The solo from this song on Randy Rhoads Tribute is one of my favourite moments on that album.  It may not be one of the better tracks overall but somehow that solo gets me thinking of the tragedy of his death every time.  :-\   And like all the tracks on Blizzard I like the live version better - and I'm not a big one for live albums generally.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: George Michael)
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 07:15:05 AM »

Some might ask, "This is a classic album??"  But any album that had four number 1 hits and two others that made the top 5, is a classic pop album.  Faith was impossible to avoid in late '87 and all of '88 if you listened to the radio and/or watched MTV.  The hits from this were everywhere.  It's kind of funny how "I Want Your Sex" was considered controversially in 1987, yet would be a blip on the controversial radar now.  To me, two of the ballads have aged the best from this: "Father Figure" and "Kissing a Fool." Those were always my two favorites anyway, and they've stood up as really the only song of his I go back to at all. The title track is still fun and catchy, but doesn't appeal to me anymore. 

I am not expecting a great deal of chatter about this album, and if I am correct, I will feature another, but I don't want this thread to be nothing but rock and metal albums.  I said I was gonna feature some other genres, like pop, and this is certainly a pop classic album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »
Huge, huge album.  I never owned any of his material but you could not turn a street corner or look at a TV without hearing all the hits from this album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2015, 07:22:52 AM »
George Michael for me is a bit like Fergie and Pink ..........I acknowledge the quality of their voices and wish they'd sung music in a style that I like.  Apart from that....... :corn

Actually, as a kid I think I liked I Knew You Were Waiting  :-[  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
I love Pink's voice but Fregie overdoes it waaaaaaaayyy too much and George Michael never did that. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2015, 07:37:02 AM »
I love Pink's voice but Fregie overdoes it waaaaaaaayyy too much and George Michael never did that.

King.......I couldn't tell you what the hell Fergie does in the Black Eyed Peas - or ever Fregie  :lol

I was basing my thoughts on stuff like this.  She almost matches it with one of the greats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWAqVQQ0Doo

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2015, 07:43:34 AM »
God her solo stuff live that I've seen on TV, she over sings and her stage movements make me have seizures. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »
I never owned the Faith album, but I was coming into prog from the pop side (yes, that is possible). Brilliant artist, and many of his songs have stood the test of time.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
many of his songs have stood the test of time.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
Nothing wrong about George Michael but when i think classic 80's pop, i think The Smiths, R.E.M, Michael Jackson, Pet shop boys, Talk Talk, New Order or The Cure, just to say a few.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:17:59 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Calvin6s

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »
This is my memory of George Michael - Faith era:

Me:  So you want to go to this Van Halen Monsters of Rock concert?
Girlfriend:  No.
Me:  But EVH ...
GF: No
Me:  Metalli ...
GF:  Oh god no.
Me:  You know George Lynch is my favorite ..
GF:  I said no.  But if you want to go to the George Michael concert.  Oh my god.  His butt.  His freakin' butt.  He's so hot. So hot.
Girl sitting next to GF:  I want to go to the Monsters of Rock concert.  Sebastian Bach is so hot.
Me:  Close enough. 
(turn back to GF)Me:  we need to talk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
Nothing wrong about George Michael but when i think classic 80's pop, i think The Smiths, R.E.M, Michael Jackson, Pet shop boys, Talk Talk, New Order or The Cure, just to say a few.

Seems more like your taste. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »

Seems more like your taste.

Yeah.  If anything, George Michael was more a part of pop culture than all of them except Michael Jackson and REM.  I think it was Dana Carvey that even had the whole "worship my butt" skit on SNL.  If SNL did a Talk Talk or New Order skit, most the audience wouldn't even understand the reference.

BTW, I agree.  Diary > Blizzard.  The thread is past that, so I'll leave it at that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »
Plus, this isn't "let's debate with album is better?" class. ;)

I would hope each album would be discussed on its own merit, rather than people playing the "It's good, but I like this album better" card.  :biggrin: