Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117393 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Loverboy)
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »
Lmao I had never heard of this band till now. So not my thing but those music videos were pretty entertaining.  :lol

Hey that's how we lived back in the 80s  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Michael Jackson)
« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »

I know it sounds like a cliche, but unless you were around in 1982 and 1983, it is impossible to grasp how massive Thriller was.  This album dominated like no other album ever had, or has since.  Even more amazing is that only three of the seven had videos, but those three - "Beat It, '"Billie Jean" and "Thriller" - were all iconic videos that those of us who were around still know like the back of our hand. Sales and popularity aside, it is a damn good album.  I won't call it the best album ever, like some do, but that's neither here nor there.  It's about as classic an album you will find from any genre.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »
I can't comment on whether it was a good album or not, but it truly is the album that all others are judged by.

He really was a supreme talent and his life and death remain an enigma like none other.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2015, 05:18:38 PM »
This album... there is a reason it's one of the, if not THE biggest selling album of all time.  Excellent songwriting, production is impeccable, and of course the fact that MJ is the greatest male pop vocalist of all time.  Once I got it on vinyl I truly came to appreciate it, it's just perfect.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »
I just listened through my favourites off the album yesterday. I'm not overall into the pop style, but the back to back run of Thriller - Beat It - Billy Jean is hard to top. Beat It was such a good crossover song, and showed how versatile MJ was.
It also gets bonus scifi points for being in BTTF2. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2015, 09:31:30 PM »
I can't say that I ever listen to it , but it's an absolute classic as is almost anything with EVH on guitar  :angel: - that's probably why I bought it  :lol

I do hear a fair bit of it these days through passive listening as my son is a big MJ fan and an even bigger fan of the Weird Al versions  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:40:51 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
Amazing album from start to finish.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Really, that stretch of Thriller, Beat It and Billie Jean is fantastic.
That plus some other pretty good songs such as Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and Human Nature and you get a stone cold classic.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Calvin6s

« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2015, 10:27:43 PM »
Classic from beginning to end.

Talk about nostalgia.  Christmas presents:  brother got Thriller and I got Styx - Kilroy was Here.  Van Halen ripping it up on Beat It.  Paul McCartney on The Girl is Mine.  Weird Al's Eat It.  Just great times.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2015, 12:42:11 AM »
Great album. While Rod Temperton did great work with Heatwave, the title cut here was his Magnum Opus.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2015, 12:54:57 AM »
Never been a fan of MJ, but the two songs I like from him are both here - Beat It and Billie Jean. Great stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2015, 06:01:16 AM »
I never owned this album or any other album by MJ.  That being said, the big hits off this album were very well done and hearing them on the radio as well as seeing them on MTV, I knew the songs by heart.  They we outstanding songs.

While most will throw out EVH's solo on Beat It, I will say Steve Lukather's rhythm guitar work on the song is killer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2015, 06:22:50 AM »
One of the greatest albums of all time.  Just an insanely awesome collection of great pop tunes.  This is one of those albums that cannot be overrated.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2015, 07:27:36 AM »
A masterpiece of pop perfection. There's hardly a weak track on the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2015, 08:15:21 AM »
My bro listens to a lot of MJ and I have to say - some of the album cuts from later albums are really poor compared to his best stuff.

There's some album tracks from Invincible and onwards that sound like Michael Jackson pastiches with an MJ impressionist at the microphone.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »
But what about this album Kotowboy?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:41 AM »
 :metal this one and Bad are classics !

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #332 on: April 24, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »

While most will throw out EVH's solo on Beat It, I will say Steve Lukather's rhythm guitar work on the song is killer.

Agreed.  Great riff, for sure.

Great album. While Rod Temperton did great work with Heatwave, the title cut here was his Magnum Opus.

Ya know, I always think of Billie Jean and Beat It as being the tops, but you really can make a strong argument for Thriller.  It's so easy to jump straight to thinking of the video when that song is mentioned, but on its own, the video notwithstanding, the song is definitely pretty awesome.

My bro listens to a lot of MJ and I have to say - some of the album cuts from later albums are really poor compared to his best stuff.

There's some album tracks from Invincible and onwards that sound like Michael Jackson pastiches with an MJ impressionist at the microphone.

But what about this album Kotowboy?

:lol :lol

This is funny, Kotowboy, because you do that a lot, jumping ahead instead of discussing the album currently being featured.  You always have a lot to say, which is always good, but still. ;) :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 24, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »
I'm his DTF life coach. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: April 24, 2015, 04:03:36 PM »
 :D today i eated a cake

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #335 on: April 24, 2015, 05:17:50 PM »

Ya know, I always think of Billie Jean and Beat It as being the tops, but you really can make a strong argument for Thriller.  It's so easy to jump straight to thinking of the video when that song is mentioned, but on its own, the video notwithstanding, the song is definitely pretty awesome.

I meant Rod Tempertons Magnum Opus. I always thought it bizarre that the biggest hit from MJ was written by a white boy from England. And the work he did with Heatwave was pretty damn special too.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #336 on: April 24, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »

Yes!  Not to mention Steve Pocaro writing Human Nature, and Toto playing all over the record!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #337 on: April 24, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »

Speaking of which, I actually really dislike the edit of the song as used in the music video, smooshing together all of the verses, then holding off until the end for the chorus, which is mixed pretty weak with less of the background vox. No flow to it at all. The video is an all time classic, the song is great, but I don't particularly like the way they combined the two.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #338 on: April 24, 2015, 10:22:09 PM »
I don't mind it.  Since it is supposed to be something other than a normal length video, I kind of like that they broke the song up the way they did, giving us snippets of it here and there instead of the usual "here is a video over the song exactly as is."  Very ground-breaking for its time, in several ways.

Calvin6s

« Reply #339 on: April 25, 2015, 03:39:40 AM »
Yes.  The Thriller video was major playground talk.  Keep in mind, this was a time when not every kid on the playground had MTV, let alone a YouTube/Internet.  So we'd actually have sleepovers and wait for videos like this to come on.  If I recall correctly, it wasn't played until after 10pm or something like that.  This wasn't a video. It was an event.  I even recall 30min/1 hour specials where they would show them working out the choreography.

I honestly can't think of any other music video that had this much attention.  Even stuff like Dire Straits Money for Nothing was small time compared to the Thriller video.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #340 on: April 25, 2015, 07:29:08 AM »
IIRC, there was a spell there for a while where they'd play Thriller every Friday night at 9 p.m. CST.  It became something forward cool to look forward to every week.  Since the video was too long to be in their normal rotation, when it was played, it was an event.

It is also worth very noteworthy that MJ was the reason MTV started playing more videos by black artists.  Prior to Thriller, with a few exceptions, you simply didn't see videos by black artists, but that changed thanks to Michael Jackson.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #341 on: April 25, 2015, 08:24:34 AM »
I don't listen to MJ's music anymore but i fucking loved him when i was like 7. A ton of memories listening to his music...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: The Clash)
« Reply #342 on: April 25, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »

While technically a 1979 album, this was released in the States in January 1980, so it's basically an 80s album.

Anyway, this stands high on my list of classic albums I don't get. Granted, I am not much of a fan of punk, but I've given this albums several tries over the years, and it bored me to tears every single time.  Considering it wasn't even that popular, at least not in the sense of being one of the best selling albums ever, I think this is a case of critics (whom I have little respect for as a whole) banding together and overhyping this snot out of this album and giving it classic status on their own.  Most of the time when an album I do not care for is considered a classic, I can listen to it and think, "Okay, it might not be my cup of tea, but I can see why it's considered a classic."  That is not the case with London Calling.  This is mediocre stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: April 25, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »
I too am not a fan of punk.  That's not to say I don't like it's influences like with early Joe Jackson and The Talking Heads but I never bought albums by most of the punk outfits.  Not, I do recognize that The Clash to it's art to another level and I appreciate that.  I do like a few of their songs but not enough to get into their albums.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: April 25, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
I like London Calling.

But I much prefer their later work....

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #345 on: April 25, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »
This a fine album. Certainly their creative peak. Much more melodic and accessible than their previous albums, yet retains that raw punk edge that's lost in their later efforts.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #346 on: April 25, 2015, 02:53:14 PM »
A HUGE paradigm shift in the world of punk.    Punk had come about as a backlash to "art rock", and this was the first time a punk band had tried to be something other than the one-dimensional punk rock template.    In effect...proving that punk rock could have broader artistic merit.    A very ground breaking, and yet very ironic album.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #347 on: April 25, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »
Not really a fan of The Clash but London Calling is great.

My favorites here are Lost in the Supermarket, Spanish Bombs and the title track.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: April 25, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
Rock The Casbah!! :metal

Oh wait..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #349 on: April 25, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »
...I think this is a case of critics (whom I have little respect for as a whole) banding together and overhyping this snot out of this album and giving it classic status on their own.

Well, any music site ranks this album high so i don't think that's the case  :\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:32:33 PM by Outcrier »