Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 116565 times)

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Peter Gabriel)
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
"In Your Eyes" was featured in an iconic scene from Say Anything (which I haven't seen).  That solidified its classic status.

While personally I have listened to Car and Security more than So, So has some great moments.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
This is a fantastic album.  It is loaded full of pop genius and amazing songwriting.  Easily one of the top albums of the 80s in any genre.

Red Rain really comes into its own in a live setting, IMO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2015, 06:57:24 AM »
One of his very best albums, I'd rank the debut over it though. Red Rain, Sledgehammer, In Your Eyes, Mercy Street, Big Time -so many great ones on this album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2015, 08:29:04 AM »
I have never owned a Peter Gabriel album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2015, 08:32:55 AM »
If you ever decide to do so, this would be a good choice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2015, 02:06:23 PM »
It always amuses me, to this day, when people get all over Genesis for their 80s pop success (and usually point at Invisible Touch as being the nadir of those days) and then go on to praise Peter Gabriel for his experimentation and dedication to being a More Serious Artist, to think of how Invisible Touch, the song, was knocked out of the top spot on the Billboard charts...by Sledgehammer.  :lol

While I think you could argue that Gabriel found ways to fuse his experimentalism with pop better than Genesis did. there's no denying that this is a brilliant album with a ton of good old fashioned pop-rock on it. To this day I can be found going "HI THERE" in imitation of the start of Big Time.

You yourself answered it  ;)

One of his very best albums, I'd rank the debut over it though. Red Rain, Sledgehammer, In Your Eyes, Mercy Street, Big Time -so many great ones on this album.

Melt for me but, like you said, some of his greatest songs are here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:42:47 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »
So is a fucking classic.

Calvin6s

« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »

Actually, Shaking the Tree is probably a good all around start.  It is an old best of.

Calvin6s

« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »

Almost everything Gabriel does shines in a live setting.  One of the few performers that out does his albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »

Actually, Shaking the Tree is probably a good all around start.  It is an old best of.

I disagree.  I think it is better to start with a real album, rather than a best of, for PG.  Some artists are good to start off that way, but not PG.  I was unable to get into PG by getting that best of years ago, but once I got some of the regular studio albums, they grabbed me. 

Almost everything Gabriel does shines in a live setting.  One of the few performers that out does his albums.

Now this I agree with.  I am generally not a live album guy, but Secret World Live is the bee's knees.  Most of the live versions on that are better than the studio originals.  Not all, but most.

Calvin6s

« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »
Today, discovering music is a whole new process.  I will ask on forums of like minded people (like here) for song recommendations.  I prefer song over album recommendations so we don't have to go through the "well, that was the worst song on the album."

Beyond that, once I want to research an artist more deeply, I google "top 10 <artist> songs".  Usually some site with a voting system comes up.  I listen to those 10 songs on youtube.  If I can't find one I like in the top 10, then it probably just isn't my cup of tea.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2015, 06:47:39 AM »

Now this I agree with.  I am generally not a live album guy, but Secret World Live is the bee's knees.  Most of the live versions on that are better than the studio originals.  Not all, but most.
That's the live album I was thinking of.  Red Rain was the song that stood out the most for me, as far as how much better the live version was than the studio version.

But yeah, all of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Guns N' Roses)
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »

Pretty good album, but among the most (here's that nasty word again!) OVERRATED in rock history.  It doesn't help that Axl Rose's voice is annoying more often than not; he single-handedly turns "Paradise City" from a great song into just a pretty good song (it's awesome musically, but his vocals suck in it). Now, I will freely admit that "Welcome to the Jungle" is still one helluva song, and I enjoy "Mr. Brownstone" and "Rocket Queen" both quite a bit.  But for me, the majority of songs from Appetite for Destruction fall into the "okay, but nothing memorable about it" category.  I get why it was so popular at time, as it had more balls and grit than most other hair metal, and if you're a fan of straight ahead hard rock, this was about as good as it got in that regard in 1987/1988.  It's a classic album, even if I am not a big fan.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »
As some know I'm currently working through my best of 1987 for the hard rock/metal thread and this is one I struggled with a bit in terms of balancing the legacy effect (I did love it back in the day) vs not really feeling like playing it these days.  And then ranking it along side other similarly influential albums (for me) that I do feel have held up better for my taste.

Undeniably a rock classic but I do understand people having some reservations , if there are any outside of Kev and moi.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
Slightly tired of all the radio songs, but overall this is still a killer album

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
I pretty much agree with everything you said, Kev. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2015, 06:53:35 PM »
I know this will sound snobby or elitist, but I will say it anyway:

Every time I hear someone say this is one of the greatest albums ever, I wonder how much music that person actually listens to.  Let's face it, those of us who seek out as much good music as possible are a tiny minority.  I am sure a couple of people here will jump in and say, "I listen to a ton of stuff and think this is one of the best albums ever," but I think by and large the people who worship this album are casual music fans at best (see: people who pretty much only listen to what is popular/on the radio/is or was on MTV). I know how that sounds, but screw it. :biggrin: :lol

And to show that I am not totally biased, I think that sums up a very large percentage of U2 fans as well, and U2 is one of my favorites.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »
Even if you are totally biased, that doesn't make your statement less true.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:23 PM »
If I had to make a list of the top 1 hard rock albums of all time, this would very likely make the list (although there are a couple of other contenders fighting over that spot).
Timeless production, real attitude, consistently great songwriting, and drumming that is physically impossible not to air drum to. There's a good reason that it's sold a bazillion copies, and it's because it's awesome. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2015, 09:20:18 PM »
:2metal:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:19 PM »

Every time I hear someone say this is one of the greatest albums ever, I wonder how much music that person actually listens to.  Let's face it, those of us who seek out as much good music as possible are a tiny minority.  I am sure a couple of people here will jump in and say, "I listen to a ton of stuff and think this is one of the best albums ever," but I think by and large the people who worship this album are casual music fans at best (see: people who pretty much only listen to what is popular/on the radio/is or was on MTV). I know how that sounds, but screw it. :biggrin: :lol

And to show that I am not totally biased, I think that sums up a very large percentage of U2 fans as well, and U2 is one of my favorites.

I think the same way whenever I hear people call Slash the greatest rock guitarist of all time, or see him on lists of that kind.  Foo Fighters are another good example - always touted as the best thing in rock but anyone with half a sense of music taste can see there are far more exciting, non-formulaic rock bands out there; they just don't have Grohl's star power. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2015, 11:58:00 PM »
Well, how does one rate the greatest rock guitarist of all time?  I mean I, obviously, see Slash as one of the most iconic-looking guitarists of all time (which is mainly due to the top-hat image and creating the recognizable guitar riffs of those hit songs from AFD) along with Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, etc. but does that make him the greatest?  It's hard to say, honestly.  I will say he is a solid guitar player and songwriter, instrumentally, and that he's a great live player (and I can say that seeing his solo band live, last year).

I frequent the GNR forums, at times, and some people there, obviously, idolize him as their guitar hero and love what he's doing in his career now in terms of working on his solo band with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators.  In terms of the discussion of "greatest" though, I think they just try to stray away on that subject since they know it just creates a lot of debate that does not really move forward and starts a negative vibe and turns it into an Axl vs Slash or New GNR vs Old GNR debates that goes nowhere.

Calvin6s

« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2015, 12:18:39 AM »
What's not to love?  As far as I am concerned, it holds up today as well as it did nearly 30 years ago.  Almost 30 years?  Oh my god.

I do remember this one being a very slow rise.  I think it took nearly a year for this album to actually catch fire the way it did.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:23:59 AM by Calvin6s »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2015, 12:35:47 AM »
I will say he is a solid guitar player and songwriter, instrumentally, and that he's a great live player (and I can say that seeing his solo band live, last year).

That's about where it ends for me.  I relate the idea that 'Slash is the greatest guitar player' back to Kev's original post about people calling Appetite the greatest rock album.  I wonder how many people realise how much Slash rips off the players that come before him, and how much better they are then him.  The only thing that he's the greatest at is the ability to embody a cliché image well past it's use by date :lol more power to him though, I agree he's one cool ass mf, and I don't doubt his influence and legacy on modern rock, but I do think he's extremely overrated, at least in terms of playing. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2015, 05:17:58 AM »

When you lead with this, don't get too upset when people don't argue that it was indeed a snobby and/or elitist thing to say.  People have different tastes.  I'm sorry you feel this way.  Suggesting that I am a casual music fan because I find it to be an awesome album is just nonsense.  But at least you man up to the fact that it does come off rude.  At least you own it.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2015, 05:31:27 AM »
As far as Slash goes......yeah I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make my Top 10 Guitarists list and perhaps he is over-rated overall , but his playing on AFD isn't over rated (if that makes sense).   He's not technically wonderful but many of the solos on that album are quite inspired and timeless IMO ........stuff like Sweet Child Of Mine and so forth.  He's never regained that magic IMO.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2015, 05:43:26 AM »
Funny, I never owned G&R.  I know that sounds crazy but as a whole, I never got into them.  That's not saying I didn't like their songs, just not enough to buy them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2015, 05:44:56 AM »
As far as Slash goes......yeah I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make my Top 10 Guitarists list and perhaps he is over-rated overall , but his playing on AFD isn't over rated (if that makes sense).   He's not technically wonderful but many of the solos on that album are quite inspired and timeless IMO ........stuff like Sweet Child Of Mine and so forth.  He's never regained that magic IMO.

I agree. He's very overrated as a guitarist for what little he's done since GNR, but it's largely because of AFD that he's been able to coast for so long. :lol He wouldn't make my top guitarists either, but many of his solos on that album (and even UYI 1/2) are iconic.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2015, 06:29:34 AM »
This is a GREAT album and I've heard TONS of music.

Saw them on this tour in a small club.

Now there's NO WAY they should be in the RnR HOF, but this album stands up. As well as most of the Illusion albums. Then they imploded and blew a chance at a great career.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2015, 07:12:13 AM »
Depends on what you mean by the word "great."

If you mean it just in terms of how good the other things you like are, then sure, there are a lot of albums that I like better than this one.

But if you mean it to judge cultural impact, then aren't many albums, especially from this time period, that deserve the title more.

When this album hit, it blew up.  It was a volcano of awesome.  And by and large, the music still holds up.

Kind of the same thing talking about Slash.  Are there a ton of guitarists who can play rings around him?  Sure.  But how many of them have impacted the greater population?  Not many.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2015, 09:13:19 AM »
The only song on the album that doesn't make me want to blow my brains out is Rocket Queen, in large part because the vocals are so distorted it doesn't sound like Axl Fucking Rose.

Though in all fairness it is a pretty cool song.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
Funny, I never owned G&R.  I know that sounds crazy but as a whole, I never got into them.  That's not saying I didn't like their songs, just not enough to buy them.
Ditto for me
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Calvin6s

« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »
Kind of the same thing talking about Slash.  Are there a ton of guitarists who can play rings around him?  Sure.  But how many of them have impacted the greater population?  Not many.
They'd play rings around him, resulting in an unmemorable solo.

I never once in my "guitar idol" youth phase looked at Slash as a great guitar player.  But I do look at him as a pretty good musician that plays very melodically.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:48:14 PM by Calvin6s »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: April 15, 2015, 02:54:13 PM »
Could you imagine the success and career this band would have had if they didn't implode after the Illusion albums.  If they would have stayed together and released something even every three years, they may have been the biggest of all time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #209 on: April 15, 2015, 02:56:13 PM »
Could you imagine the success and career this band would have had if they didn't implode after the Illusion albums.  If they would have stayed together and released something even every three years, they may have been the biggest of all time.
You're right.