Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 116564 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Mötley Crüe)
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2015, 04:36:50 AM »
I never saw them live, but I always thought Motley Crue was...OK.  This was a pretty good album, but most of their stuff, even if I enjoyed it at the time, hasn't aged well.  That whole L.A. glam scene just seems a little immature to me now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2015, 10:42:03 AM »
For me, Motley Crue put out albums with one or two pretty good tracks and a lot of filler.  This album felt no different.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2015, 03:31:50 PM »
For me, Motley Crue put out albums with one or two pretty good tracks and a lot of filler.  This album felt no different.

You could say that for the first 4 Crue albums but this one was full of radio hits. It was a complete album for them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »
I still can't figure out why the word "legend" gets tossed around with these guys.   They had several "hits" and a couple really great albums...but they've never had that string of fantastic albums in a row that elevate a band to the status of "legend".

Guns N Roses are in the same boat for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Beastie Boys)
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2015, 04:54:03 PM »

My review of this will be in short: I don't really like rap, even rap rock, and while I did like "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)" when it was first out and big, for me it had the shelf life of a carton of milk. "Girls" is silly catchy, so I don't mind that one too much.  That's all I got.  But, regardless of my dislike for the rap genre, this is a classic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
The Lovely Mrs TAC and I were playing the 1 vs 100 iPad app recently and You Gotta Fight was an answer to the question. She had literally never heard of it, so I youtubed the video for it. Still didn't ring a bell. She's got 5 years on me, but still..

My college room mate used to torture me by playing the Beasties. I couldn't stand them!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2015, 06:05:40 PM »
Hell yes. I can't think of a single Beastie track that isn't a blast to listen to.

Calvin6s

« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2015, 06:21:36 PM »
Like most people around in the 80s, my first exposure to the Beastie Boys was You Gotta Fight for Your Right to Party.  Just awful.  It sounded like all the white wannabe rappers in my school.   The only hit that almost parted some cash from my wallet was Brass Monkey.  But it just wasn't enough to part with a teen's hard earned pittance.

I basically wrote them off as a circus act until almost a full decade later when MTV was playing a new Beastie Boys song called Sabotage.  Damn.  When did these guys start producing music I actually liked?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2015, 06:50:52 PM »
Their punk band roots show from time to time, especially on Sabotage.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »
I discovered Paul's Boutique a few weeks ago, and was quite surprised by how energic, catchy and well-written it is. Just what I was looking for in Hip-hop.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2015, 08:16:43 PM »
You guys are all nuts.   This very well may be the worlds greatest "party album".   The Beasties (thankfully) were always reinventing themselves, and never allowed themselves to grow stale.  (wasn't Check Your Head one of the first rap albums with all acoustic instruments?)   But this album is an earth shattering stamp on rock history.   I can't think of a single track that EVERYONE at the party did not know ALL the words to.   I can remember a time when you only had to utter one single line from Paul Revere, and suddenly a room full of guys that didn't even know one another would burst into a giant sing-along. 

It's so rare that I can pick out an album and firmly state that every single song is a bonafide classic...  Back In Black maybe...  But this album is one of those albums. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2015, 11:58:43 PM »
Paul Revere and Brass Monkey a re my favorites from this album, but the quintessential Beasties album from the 80's is Paul's Boutique.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2015, 03:28:47 AM »
 (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!) is the only thing by The Beastie Boys I have a clue about - the vid was pretty iconic.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2015, 04:31:54 AM »
Paul Revere and Brass Monkey a re my favorites from this album, but the quintessential Beasties album from the 80's is Paul's Boutique.
This,Paul's Boutique is one of my fav hip hop albums.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2015, 04:36:43 AM »
I may not like the Beastie Boys music (though I do like certain songs from them) I do appreciate their craft and how they turned out to be in the forefront of influencing others.  Every album was unique.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2015, 05:10:16 AM »
This is a great, great, great album.  Love it.

But Paul's Boutique is better.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2015, 09:14:24 AM »
Beasties were one of my first rap groups as a teen.  Still love that album.  Mid 87-end of 88 all I listened to was rap. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
Beasties were one of my first rap groups as a teen.  Still love that album.  Mid 87-end of 88 all I listened to was rap.
Run-DMC remains one of my all-time faves.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2015, 08:22:15 AM »
You guys are all nuts.   This very well may be the worlds greatest "party album".   The Beasties (thankfully) were always reinventing themselves, and never allowed themselves to grow stale.  (wasn't Check Your Head one of the first rap albums with all acoustic instruments?)   But this album is an earth shattering stamp on rock history.   I can't think of a single track that EVERYONE at the party did not know ALL the words to.   I can remember a time when you only had to utter one single line from Paul Revere, and suddenly a room full of guys that didn't even know one another would burst into a giant sing-along. 

It's so rare that I can pick out an album and firmly state that every single song is a bonafide classic...  Back In Black maybe...  But this album is one of those albums. 

Me, my horsie, and a quart of beer agree with Mr. Dude.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »
Run-DMC remains one of my all-time faves.
Yup, another one of my firsts. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Prince & The Revolution)
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2015, 07:17:42 PM »

This is a fantastic record, from start to finish; every song is a gem.  For a long time all I knew were the three hits - "When Doves Cry," "Let's Go Crazy" and the title track - but when I eventually bought the Purple Rain CD, I instantly realized that all of that talk about it being a great record was true.  I love how many of the hooks on this record are musically ones, not necessarily vocal ones, although there are a lot of vocal hooks.  I don't always subscribe to some of the weirdness Prince can do, but on this one, he really hit out of the park (with the aid of The Revolution, of course).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »

Me, my horsie, and a quart of beer agree with Mr. Dude.

Ridin cross the land...kickin up sand...sheriff's posse's on my tail cause I'm in demaaand.     One lonely BEAST-E-I-E...all by myself without nobod-y...   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »

This but Licensed is pretty good too (and Boutique almost is a 90s album).

Also, Purple Rain :tup
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:15:57 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »
Purple Rain is so good. Yeah, pretty much a solid album start to finish

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »
Purple Rain is easily one of the Top 10 albums of the 80s, and its greatness remains.  Great album from a genius.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
I still don't quite get the genius vibe from Prince, but that aside, this is still a great record.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2015, 06:24:11 PM »
I still don't quite get the genius vibe from Prince, but that aside, this is still a great record.
Have you listened to much of his stuff?  Or do you know mostly the radio hits?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
I've heard most of his older stuff and heard some of his new stuff from last year I think.  No, I have not heard everything, or even close to it. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2015, 02:27:48 AM »

Usually the talk is about his chord choices.  As part of the progression or the chord fingering itself.  But that is too simplistic to say it is just that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2015, 07:49:48 AM »

Usually the talk is about his chord choices.  As part of the progression or the chord fingering itself.  But that is too simplistic to say it is just that.
That's definitely part of it.

It's just his choices.  Within the realm of what he does (Rock/R&B/Funk), he just has a collection of talents that show through in his songwriting, musicianship, and performance that few other artists can match.  But if those aren't your favorite genres, it may not be as apparent, I guess.

But he is good enough that quite a bit of his stuff appeals to people who aren't fans of those genres, as well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:42 AM »
I remember seeing him live on TV and was blown away at his guitar solos.  I never knew at the time what a guitarist he was.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »
The reactions I often see to Prince's skills as a guitarist are interesting.

While I tend to not liking the terms underrated and overrated anymore...

I think he tends to be underrated by rock fans, who usually don't think of guitar players from non-rock bands or non-rock solo artists as being that great overall.

I think he tends to be overrated by non-rock fans, who give him extra credit for being as good a player as he is in a non-rock genre.

And I say that while not really knowing what genre to put him in. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »
And that's what he likes! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2015, 08:11:58 PM »
I don't doubt it.  He is one odd man, that is for sure.  But then again, most creative geniuses are, if hef is right and he really is a genius. :biggrin:

Calvin6s

« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2015, 11:03:31 PM »
if hef is right and he really is a genius. :biggrin:

Hef is actually the record holder for Prince's genius certificate.  So the debate on Prince being a genius is over.  Assuming he didn't put it on eBay.