Author Topic: The Netflix Recommendation Thread  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Netflix Recommendation Thread
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »
Watch a movie called Bernie. I thought it was going to suck. I was blown away by how great it was.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »
I Saw the Devil--brutal South Korean movie about a cop trying to catch a serial killer.

Have to 2nd this.  As good as revenge movies get.   And while we're recommending brutal South Korean movies, Old Boy is great as well.

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is right there too. I would also add the original Swedish versions of The Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc) and Let the Right One In.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »
I'm in to weird humor, so my TV show suggestions are, in no particular order:

Better off Ted
Saxondale
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret
The Good Guys
Lilyhammer (I'm only two episodes into this, but very promising so far)

Offline genome

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »
Luther
House of Cards

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »
Better off Ted

This show is quite good.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline gm5k

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »

(The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc)

Loved this so much  :hefdaddy  I saw the extended version recently.  Just incredible.

I ignored it/brushed it off for the longest time, and I'm not sure why.  Glad I finally saw it  :tup

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
The American version was good, but the Swedish version and Noomie Rapace were just gorgeous movies...all 3 of them.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline gm5k

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
The American version was good, but the Swedish version and Noomie Rapace were just gorgeous movies...all 3 of them.

Right, those were the ones I saw.  I didn't see the American version.  Forgot that it was actually 3 movies.  Think I watched it in 6 segments over the course of about a week. 

Definitely a lifelong fan of Noomie Rapace after seeing them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:37:10 PM by gm5k »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »
Rapace is awesome. Long live original foreign films. Fuck Hollywood's dirty, skanky, unoriginal asshole.

I second all of the Korean crime-flicks that have been mentioned. I Saw The Devil is horrifically fantastic, disturbing and moving. Another great one that is my personal favorite out of the Korean flicks on Netflix is The Man From Nowhere; it's got some amazingly shot action scenes that don't use any of the usual tropes (with the absolute greatest knife-fight I've ever seen) and it's very emotional in its latter-half.

For anyone interested in travel shows, Ricky Gervais (QUIET, KOTOW) has an awesome show with Karl Pilkington called An Idiot Abroad which is absolutely hilarious and at the same time pretty educational and beautifully shot. It shows a lot of the darker sides of some highly glamorized places and is certainly up your ally if you're anti-social and a bit misanthropic.

Lie To Me is the House, M.D. equivalent to a hard-ass motherfucker being able to read your face off and tell if you've lied. Great show that lasted 3 seasons before being cancelled and for the life of me I can't imagine why; I really love it and if you're into the House style of show (a bit grittier) then I think you'll like this as well. I'm also half-way gay for Tim Roth so that helps.

I recently rewatched The Perfect Host with an epic, amazing, entrancing performance by David Hyde Pierce. I hate almost every sitcom and likewise Frasier, so I had never seen the man act before but had seen snippets of the show while my rents watched it, so I recognized him and knew he played a generally comedic part, but this was just absolutely breathtaking. Psychotic, hilarious, eerie...one of my favorite films of the 2000's.

John Dies At The End was absolutely nuts, intriguing, funny, extremely witty and, as almost everyone who sees it says, was pretty much created as and will go down as a cult classic. Genius.

Dexter was a pretty neat show. Corny at times, highly unrealistic most of the time, but it's a nice distraction. Oh and the ending sucks dick. Even if you know it sucks dick like I did before seeing it, you'll still be surprised by how much dick it sucks. Big, long, HIV-carrying dick. It's horrible. So if you can't stand liking a show a whole lot and then having it go to complete shit, don't even try. But if you can muster it, it's pretty entertaining up until that last bit.

Louie is absolutely genius on all kinds of levels and is perhaps my favorite comedy show of all time. Louis C.K.'s style is definitely not for everyone but if you've seen his stand up at all or are wanting some different kind of comedic approach, check it out along with his couple other stand-ups on Netflix.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2014, 11:31:58 PM »
Co-signing with Idiot Abroad and Lie to Me.

for exactly the same reasons.    ;)

There's another Ricky/Karl production running right now called, The Moaning of Life.  Good times!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 12:59:24 AM »
Just finished with the X-Files.  Now, I'm binge-watching Columbo. 
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 05:57:59 AM »
Everyone should watch Derek. You could get through both seasons in like 6 hours. You won't regret it.

Calvin6s

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
The IT Crowd was pretty funny.  I watched it way back in 2010, so I don't know if it is still on there.

British TV Comedy

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
Roy very slowly going up the lift on the handicapped bus with that helpless smile is one of the best shots of the show.

Calvin6s

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »
Roy very slowly going up the lift on the handicapped bus with that helpless smile is one of the best shots of the show.

For those of you without netflix, enjoy the above episode