Author Topic: History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"  (Read 18244 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »
I liked the finale a lot and now looking back on this season it wasn't all that bad. Wish they wouldn't have split the season for that long a duration but it looks as if they've already filmed at least half of season 5 and it'll be back this fall. Introducing the Knights Templar is going to be awesome.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »
Yea I agree, overall a pretty solid season except for a few things.

Introducing the Knights Templar is going to be awesome.
Oh was wondering about that end scene, that's should be interesting.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2017, 04:29:14 AM »
Yeah, that end scene was weird and pointless without context, and that dude's haircut is so 2016 it just took me right out of it. Not a good scene to end on given how excellent the rest of the episode was, and it served no purpose. They should have just left it out entirely and left it for next season.

Aside from that, great episode. The battle was possibly the best they've had on the show. Some very notable character deaths in the episode that made me sad. We've lost too many characters this season. :(

Good for Ivar throwing that axe at his bro. He was overdue for going nuts again. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2017, 10:18:52 AM »
Yeah, that end scene was weird and pointless without context, and that dude's haircut is so 2016 it just took me right out of it. Not a good scene to end on given how excellent the rest of the episode was, and it served no purpose. They should have just left it out entirely and left it for next season.

Aside from that, great episode. The battle was possibly the best they've had on the show. Some very notable character deaths in the episode that made me sad. We've lost too many characters this season. :(

Good for Ivar throwing that axe at his bro. He was overdue for going nuts again. :metal

Totally agree that the introduction of the Knights Templar seemed a bit rushed and 'off'. Unless you watched the Season 5 trailer and dug a little bit you'd not know that he was a Templar.

Also, they had been building to Ivar killing his brother the entire season....was a perfect exclamation point to the end of the season and verified that Ivar is indeed a tad looney.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2017, 03:43:25 AM »
My favorite three characters have been Athelstan, Ragnar, and Ecbert. And now none of them are left. But the remaining characters are interesting enough.

And I'm glad Helga died and finally put an end to that dumb "this is my daughter now i love her" psychosis plot.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2017, 03:53:50 AM »
Watched the finale last night. Pretty good. I was sad to see the end of Ecbert, but the old dog had one last trick up his sleeve. He made that 'deal' with Bjorn for the rights to the land, knowing that Bjorn had no idea he was no longer the king, and probably had no power to make such a bargain.

I was a bit annoyed that Aethylwulf survived the battle. I find him pretty annoying.

I'd like to see more of Ivar on the rampage next season.

I agree with the introduction on the warrior monk guy. They must be setting him up as another big bad for next season, but it just felt tacked on. I had no idea he was supposed to be a Templar. Obviously the vow of celibacy was optional in his particular group..  ;)

I think it's going to be interesting to see how the next season holds up without Ragnar. It felt like they were kinda phasing him out for parts of this season, so maybe that was intentional, to bring other characters forward and have them continue the story..

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2018, 07:58:15 AM »
Anyone still watching this show? I freaking love it  :metal   It's so well done and even in the aftermath of killing of the main character (Ragnar) who had held the show together for four seasons......they've managed to keep the story interesting and compelling.

I had read last year that this season 5 was to be the last season, BUT...I just read an article that said they've renewed for a (20) episode Season 6!! They are getting 7.8 Million viewers per episode. I think that speaks to how well done this show is. The production alone is top notch.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »
I’m still watching, but I don’t love it as much as you seem to do. I like it, and yeah the production is great, but I do feel the writing is pretty uneven. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes less so.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
I’m still watching, but I don’t love it as much as you seem to do. I like it, and yeah the production is great, but I do feel the writing is pretty uneven. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes less so.

I pretty much said this in the GOT thread but I just don't see that. They have several story lines going at once and they all keep moving along with not stagnation. You can't say that for a lot of shows out there. The battle scenes are excellent as well

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
Ah - I didn’t realise S5 had already started. I do love this show, but I’ll have to see what my options are for watching here in the UK. I think Amazon Prime might be the only show in town.

I’m really looking forward to see what happens with Ivar.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2018, 11:24:22 PM »
I pretty much said this in the GOT thread but I just don't see that. They have several story lines going at once and they all keep moving along with not stagnation. You can't say that for a lot of shows out there. The battle scenes are excellent as well

I agree that it never really stagnates anywhere, so that’s not really my issue. My issue is more the way they jump from storyline to storyline without any real since of weight to the events. Like, two episodes ago, defeating the english was the most important and main storyline, now they haven’t mentioned or seemingly given a thought to it in a while. Bjorn’s most important thing in life was exploring the mediterranean, but after some weird and completely consequence-less story line he immideately goes home.

And now this battle that has had pretty much all of two episodes of build-up is suddenly ’the end of the world’ and ’the battle that will tear our world apart’. Hype that I do not feel that they’ve earned but are just trying to force on me with words. I don’t dislike the show, if I did I wouldn’t still be watching. It’s definetely interesting, but in terms of pure dramaturgy, I find quite a few other shows superior.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »
The latest episode was really artsy. Even though it doesn't really fit together with the rest of the show and only contributes to the slight feeling of not being focused, I did appreciate it. On its own, it was good. I got a tad over ambitious at times, with some strange editing, a few moments of really bad fight choreograohy, and some really bad CGI skeletons. But I do respect what they tried to do here, and when it comes to the main battle, I think they mostly pulled it off.

I don't think they should have included Floki's story this week though, it would have been better had they kept the focus on the battle and had all the Iceland stuff here happen last week or something.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »
The latest episode was really artsy. Even though it doesn't really fit together with the rest of the show and only contributes to the slight feeling of not being focused, I did appreciate it. On its own, it was good. I got a tad over ambitious at times, with some strange editing, a few moments of really bad fight choreograohy, and some really bad CGI skeletons. But I do respect what they tried to do here, and when it comes to the main battle, I think they mostly pulled it off.

I don't think they should have included Floki's story this week though, it would have been better had they kept the focus on the battle and had all the Iceland stuff here happen last week or something.

Yeah...it was definitely different, but I did like it. It was a cool way to pull off ‘another’ battle scene. I’ve always enjoyed the battle scenes in this show...very well choreographed....good production....so I thought their attempt at changing it up was neat.

And I agree Floki’s storyline could have been pushed off until a different time. Plus, I’m not all that excited about that particular storyline. Seems kind of silly at the moment.

But I’m totally digging the show still. I think it’s been consistent throughout its run.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2018, 10:48:48 AM »
Was wondering where Rollo was so it's nice seeing him back, so that should be interesting.  :tup

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
Was wondering where Rollo was so it's nice seeing him back, so that should be interesting.  :tup

would love it if he rolled into Katticut and flipped the script on Ivar and Co........sided with Lagatha and Bjorn. I don't think that's out of the question. He looked pimp though  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »

would love it if he rolled into Katticut and flipped the script on Ivar and Co........sided with Lagatha and Bjorn. I don't think that's out of the question. He looked pimp though  :lol
Yea that would be sweet although I wonder why he sent an army to fight for Ivar then? Maybe he changed his mind or he has a counterattack planned.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

Yea that would be sweet although I wonder why he sent an army to fight for Ivar then? Maybe he changed his mind or he has a counterattack planned.

If he's anything like Ragnar or learned anything from him it'd be having a plan that included some sort of misdirection. Either way, it'll be cool to see him involved in the story again.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
So, was ep10 the last of the season?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2018, 08:45:36 AM »
So, was ep10 the last of the season?

I'm confused on this as well. They said this was the Mid season finale.....and there were more episodes to come in 2018 which leads me to believe those would still be season 5. I know they renewed Vikings for a (20) episode 6th season.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »
Yes, episode 10 was officially a mid season finally so there are 10 more season 5 episodes to go. However, the mid season break for season 4 was an insane 7 months, so if anything like that happens this time we won't get more Vikings for quite a while. At that point I think they should just call it season 6, but for some reason they don't want to do that.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2018, 09:08:45 AM »
Yes, episode 10 was officially a mid season finally so there are 10 more season 5 episodes to go. However, the mid season break for season 4 was an insane 7 months, so if anything like that happens this time we won't get more Vikings for quite a while. At that point I think they should just call it season 6, but for some reason they don't want to do that.

That's what was weird....that long break. I don't think it'll be that long because (I'll try to find the article) when I read about season 6 they said that it'd premier late 2018. If that's the case then you have 2-1/2 months of season 5 left....which maybe those air April/May leading into the summer.....then summer break and Season 6 kicks off Novemberish?

Either way.....there's a guaranteed (30) episodes of this show still to come which is freakin awesome in my book  :metal

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2018, 05:26:28 AM »
Bummer! I need more Katheryn Winnick.  :eek

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2018, 10:16:43 AM »
Bummer! I need more Jennie Jacques.  :eek
FTFM  ;)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2018, 02:42:30 AM »
Bumping 'cause I finally catched up, last time around I waited for the entire season 4 to finish, now I watched the first half of season 5.

Well.... Travis Fimmel as Ragnar was the casting decision of a lifetime, I'm talking Heath Ledger as Joker level. Without both the actor and the character, his absence is sorely and utterly missed. Lagertha and Floki has to carry the show in a sense, and of course there are Ragnar's sons: two dull ones (one dead), a generic good guy and that goddamn psycho of Ivar.

I really, really dislike Ivar and there's nothing I like about him. His face, his haircut, his psychotic behiavour, his bullying attitude, nothing at all. And this is not a critique to the actor or the writers - most likely this is the entire point. TV and movies are full of badass villains you can root for somehow - Hannibal Lecter, Walter White, Tony Montana etc... Ivar probably is not meant to be one of them. You're MEANT to be annoyed by him and not like him one bit.

Ivar at least had one badass scene, him surrounded in the pouring rain in York screaming at all the englishmen with a blood stained face. But then again, there's a cripple sitting down alone and isolated in front of, what, 453 people and NOBODY is able to put an arrow in his foul mouth? really? ONE tried and missed and that was it?

Also, I'm not convinced about Heachmund, is he meant to be evil Athlestan being spirited away to Kattegat, only to woo Lagertha in no time to the point that she wants a goodbye kiss before the battle? battle that ages her in record time making finally the catch-up with her age (C'mon she should be 50 by now).

On the english side, Aethelwulf seemed to finally develop - there was a scene of him talking to the nobles on the throne and I swear he looked like Ecbert, maybe it was a conscious directing choice but he had the posture, the way of speaking and the mannerisms of his father, maybe he's becoming a more cunning and interesting character no wait nevermind he's dead stung by a bee. WTF?

Anyway, Floki's scenes of him exploring Iceland are of a mesmerizing beauty. Makes me wanna visit the place!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »
Well.... Travis Fimmel as Ragnar was the casting decision of a lifetime, I'm talking Heath Ledger as Joker level.

Totally agree. This show isn't the same without him.....and I kind of look at everything after Ragnar's death as a different show. It's still well produced....the fight scenes are awesome....and for the most part the story continues to progress. I still like the show and will watch until the final scene....simply too much time invested into it now NOT to. But I"ll admit that it just isn't the 'same' without Ragnar and Travis Fimmel.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »
*Cough cough, dusting off the thread*

So finally 10 episodes of S05 is upon us, who's excited?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:35:08 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2018, 07:59:50 AM »
Excited? not me. The last episodes didn't really convince me. But I'm still a fan and I will follow to the end.

Anyway, I know that Breaking Bad has a "fifth season" split in two so ths is nothing new, but what's the point for a show that always had seasons of 10 episodes, have seasons of 20 episodes....... but with the second half airing one year after the first?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »
I’m looking forward to it. I’ve enjoyed the show overall immensely. There was a stretch there when they neutered Ragnar’s character that was kind of slow....but I thought they did a good job of reestablishing the characters and show after his death.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2018, 09:13:35 PM »
Two episodes in to this back half of season 5 and it’s been great!  :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2019, 06:37:09 AM »
Season 5 is complete.....what a season it was! This show just keeps on going! I’ve read that for certain that Season 6 is it for this show.....but, that they are exploring a ‘continuation’ show? Whatever that means? Maybe they’ll center it around a different group of characters or different part of the world. Who knows. All I know is that outside of a handful of episodes there where they made Ragnar an opium addict....this show has always been on point and cool to watch.

SPOILERS*******

I was a bit put off by the fact that they just didn’t end the whole Ivan vs the rest of them storyline. Allowing him to slip away to be heard from again at a later date is alright for the story I guess....but it just felt like his story is over now.....why not kill him off and be done with it?
  Also....I felt like Floki ‘deserved’ a better death. Him dying in the manner in which he did seemed so anti climatic considering the warrior/character he was. Although, the irony of him seeing the Christian Cross deep in the belly of the mountain that he was sure he was going to find ‘his’ Gods was a nice touch....and I suppose fitting....but given all he went through it seemed like a battlefield or fighting death would have been good for him.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2019, 04:04:51 AM »
Did he die? the subtitles clearly confirmed what could be already deduced, that he was weezing, and even the Wikipedia synopsis states "He begins to laugh as the volcano erupts and injures him". Haas such an important character died, the last we'd seen of thim wouldn't be him still alive.

About the season.... there's something amiss and I can't even put my finger on it. For sure it's not the same without Ragnar, but all the remaining protagonists already changed alliances for 5-6 times and it's hard to keep track of who's siding with who now. Everyone has already been twice an alley of someone they twice wanted dead at least.

Ivar is... unsettling, and even looking at the actor's face makes me want to punch him, with that weird way of speaking and the piercing blue eyes. And this is not a dis at the actor - I suppose this is the whole point, you're not supposed to like Ivar, you have to be at unease with everything he does.

I found myself sympathetic for King Harald - ok, he's a hothead who turns cloak just like anybody in the series did, but in the end he's strong, willing, is not a sleazy cheater (he was very pissed at the sole idea of Ivar offing Bjorn at a peace meeting), and he has hilarious bad luck with women. As far as viking kings goes, he's quite cool all things considered.

Magnus coming back I thought meant something about the prophecy lingering on Lagertha, that she would die killed by one of Ragnar's sons... but wait, nevermind, he's dead, so probably as Ragnar stated he was never a son of him.

They even killed off Heachmund, who lasted basically a season and a half, I figured he was supposed to be the top name in the cast once Travis Fimmel got out. Uh well. Good riddance also of that scheming bitch of Judith.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2019, 06:42:38 AM »
Did he die? the subtitles clearly confirmed what could be already deduced, that he was weezing, and even the Wikipedia synopsis states "He begins to laugh as the volcano erupts and injures him". Haas such an important character died, the last we'd seen of thim wouldn't be him still alive.

I mean.....they showed that volcanoe erupt and the whole mountain collapse. I know they didn’t ‘show’ him dead but for him to survive that would be pretty remarkable. Who knows....I dig Floki so maybe he’ll show up again.

Agree about King Harald as well. He started as a straight villain and now he’s pretty likeable....and about as honorable as a Viking can be. And, (history spoiler) apparently King Harald was the first King of Norway. Well, the first King of Norway was Harald FairHair from 872 - 930. Curious as to if the TV show Harald is based off of him? If so, that could be your ‘end game’ for the series next season.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2019, 06:52:18 AM »
Definitively the Harald of the show is based on the historical King Harald, but they've shown time and again that they're quite willing to bend historical facts to serve the narrative.

For sure, knowing the end is in sight, a wrap up of all the mess in Kattegat with King Harald reigning over a united Norway could be a fitting end, and maybe if Floki survives (the actor is still billed as playing him on Wikipedia while actors whose characters have died have listed their tenure, example 2012-2016), he leaves Iceland and discovers America. That'd be a better ending than a not-so-clear death by eruption that nobody witnesses.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
So the final season is coming up on 12/4 and just read this:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/vikings-spinoff-series-valhalla-picked-214128249.html?soc_src=newsroom&soc_trk=com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard&.tsrc=newsroom

Pretty cool news. And, looking forward to see how they wrap up this awesome series  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2019, 03:12:06 PM »
Hopefully not with Lagertha burning Kattegat to the ground for no reason and Ivar being randomly mugged down by someone who never met him, while Bjorn goes living in Groenland in imposed exile  :lol