Author Topic: History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"  (Read 18235 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
Just watched the first episode. Seems interesting but I'm not sold yet.

First episode of Season 1? If so, I would highly recommend sticking with it. It's a very good show.

Yep. We'll stick with for awhile.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:33 AM »
Just watched the first episode. Seems interesting but I'm not sold yet.

First episode of Season 1? If so, I would highly recommend sticking with it. It's a very good show.

Yep. We'll stick with for awhile.

The one thing this show does very well that I wish other shows would is move the story along. There is no wasted time....no 'filler' episodes.....it's just one thing after another. It's very efficient with it's time and tells a good story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2016, 03:14:48 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2016, 03:16:47 PM »
Can't Wait!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2016, 03:19:36 PM »
Wait now i'm confused, new episodes of S04? So there's more episodes from the recent season? In my head I first thought they meant S05.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »
Wait now i'm confused, new episodes of S04? So there's more episodes from the recent season? In my head I first thought they meant S05.

Yeah. They split season 4 in two sections.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »
I don't understand the new obsession with split seasons, especially since Season 4 wrapped up so nicely as a full season finale and not a mid-season finale. Oh well, it's nothing to get too annoyed over.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2016, 11:07:19 PM »
I'm actually very annoyed at this whole thing. WHY wait this long?? Even normal mid season breaks aren't this damn long. Waiting between seasons is fine, but when we're just halfway through a season it just feels like a dick move to drag it out like this.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2016, 02:34:55 AM »

Yeah. They split season 4 in two sections.
I was hoping maybe they keep february 2017 as season premier month as they always had but no, now s05 is moved to november 2017. Seems like with season splits like this the show will constantly move it's premier month but then again maybe s05 is the final season so it dosen't matter.

We'll see I guess, anyway tomorrow it begins. I'm ready!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2016, 07:34:12 AM »
As much as I love this show I don't see how they go another season past 5. They are loosely following the history of Ragnar so that would seem to me that there really isn't much left To the story?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2016, 09:06:55 AM »
Excited for the episode tomorrow. Still annoyed at the ridiculously long break, but at least it's back now.

Fun that Ragnar's grown up sons are shown now, me and two of my friends were so close to auditioning for those roles.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »
Excited for the episode tomorrow. Still annoyed at the ridiculously long break, but at least it's back now.

Fun that Ragnar's grown up sons are shown now, me and two of my friends were so close to auditioning for those roles.

Wow, really?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »
Solid return. I love how out of shape both mentally and physically they've made Ragnar. Going from such an 'in charge' character to one kind of wandering and desperate.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
Yeah, the episode was good. Glad the show's finally back.

Wow, really?

Well, audition is maybe the wrong word, I don't really know what specific things are called in this business and in english. But they put out a casting call for the characters not far from where we live and we fit the bill physically, so we were really close to go there for the weekend and try it out.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »
Anyone see the episode last night? Holy crap.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
Anyone see the episode last night? Holy crap.

Yep. Had a feeling that was coming. Ragnar hasn't been himself this season and this show had to start heading toward an ending. It's picked up for at least one more season but I don't see how they go past next season.

Gonna be cool to watch the revenge of his sons take place.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2016, 04:45:58 PM »
Pretty much as expected but cool episode. I'm interested in Rollos destiny and if he can reconcile as a Viking. I assumed the drowing was a test.
So that ship at the end with the guy with no eye, is that a previous character or new because I can't remember?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2016, 11:02:20 PM »
Not that I can recall. But the image of a missing eye immediately made me think of the classic image of Odin, who also has only one eye.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2017, 06:15:49 AM »
I love this show! I stayed up way too late watching last night, but I'm finally up to date with season 4 (ie episode 16 - Crossings).

I think season 4 started to drag in the middle, but the last few episodes were really good.

Who are people's favourite characters, aside from Ragnar? I think Floki is mine - I love his wacky eccentricity.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:54 AM »

Who are people's favourite characters, aside from Ragnar? I think Floki is mine - I love his wacky eccentricity.

Good question, there are so many good characters. Lagatha, Athelstan, King Eckbart.....Bjorn and now his crippled son (spelling?)

I was a bit bummed to see Ragnars character so helpless and lost at the end being that we were used to him always overcoming, but he did have a plan and it looks like it's gonna work. His sons are gonna raise the army he couldn't and get revenge.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2017, 07:03:27 AM »
Yes - I was annoyed that by mid-season it seemed like they had turned Ragnar into a failure. All his grand ventures ended in disaster. I was glad to see he still had some reserves of cunning left.

I think Ivar the Boneless is a chip off the old block, but even more unhinged and unpredictable. Can't wait for them to get their revenge.

Most annoying character - that French princess. I think if I was Rollo I would have lopped her head off myself..  :lol I thought Rollo's turnaround to rejoin the Vikings again and leave his family wasn't particularly well done, but I was glad to get out of Frankia, and I can see why they did it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
Yea I thought Rollo would be subjected to more tests or punishments but in the recent episode he suddenly fought with them like nothing had happened or it atleast seemed like that.
I'm glad that they went that way with Ragnars story arc because even though I liked him as a character only those proven to be strong enough would be fit and trusted to lead an army. Would be strange if he after his fails and his age he suddenly became trusted to be a leader again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Rollo's story is just ridiculous at this point. And I don't know why but something about Floki annoyed me this week.

Aside from that, I really like what they're doing with Ivar. I didn't really like him at first but he's becoming quite cool. Overall a good episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2017, 01:02:10 PM »
Rollo's story is just ridiculous at this point. And I don't know why but something about Floki annoyed me this week.

Aside from that, I really like what they're doing with Ivar. I didn't really like him at first but he's becoming quite cool. Overall a good episode.

Agree with all this. The fact that all it took to 'accept' Rollo again was 45 seconds underwater scraping his back on a boat was a tad obsurd. He tried to kill Ragnar when they last fought....unless there is something else coming for him I find his welcoming back to be the first thing I really dislike about this show.

Floki did with the Muslims the exact thing Ragnar did with the Christians. I'm assuming this 'growth' in his character is intentional to mirror Ragnars growth in a way?

Essentially Ivar is what Ragnar once was. Which is why he's so intriguing and captivating as a character. Ragnar's character for the first 3 seasons of this show dominated everyone else's....it appears Ivar's will now.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
It will be interesting to see how they develop the story with Ragnar's sons. Bjorn is Lagertha's son, while the other 3, Ubbe, Sigurd and Ivar are Aslaug's, who Lagertha murdered with the arrow in the back. There's bound to be some tension there.

Also, what's the story with the brothers with the face tattoos? One of them definitely has grand designs about becoming king of Norway. It's only a matter of time before they turn against Bjorn. Who will Floki align himself with?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2017, 11:01:29 AM »
I felt a bit let down with the 'battle' of the two armies. such a big production of showing the gathering and what not and then ZERO battle scenes? I'm assuming they are saving the battle scenes for when Lagatha is defending Katacut but still....not a single scene of any of the Lothbrok sons fighting?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
Agreed. A bit of a "nothing" episode. I get that they were trying to gather the "great army", but they could have made more of it, like showing all the deals and bargains done to get all the different clans together.

I liked the chariot type thing that Floki made for Ivar. I'm sure we'll see that in action.

What was up with Bjorn and Lagertha's girl at the end? Seemed a bit pointless.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
I was disappointed they skipped the battle. I thought the rest of the season would build to the big battle with the heathen army and concluding with the death of the king. Instead they skip over the battle and get right to killing the king (which itself was quite satisfying and brutal). I understand that it costs a lot for a big battle scene, but that was what the season was building to.
I also think that showing the battle was a necessity for getting Ragnar's kids over as ruthless vikings. They haven't proven themselves yet, except for Ivar having a few decent kills. Without Ragnar around any more, they desperately needed to establish that on screen.

I also wanted to see the voyage, just to know the logistics of shipping a horse and chariot across the ocean in a long boat. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2017, 12:52:24 AM »
Oops - just realised that I'm still an episode behind on The Great Army.

Will get caught up on Revenge at the weekend (and then watch some Vikings right after  :biggrin:)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2017, 02:09:25 AM »
Yea it was a bit anticlimax to skip the actual fighting but honestly it didn't bother me that much, they buildt it up so it was clear they would win. Both Ecbert and Aethel are still there so maybe that will be the big battle.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2017, 07:00:32 AM »
Yea it was a bit anticlimax to skip the actual fighting but honestly it didn't bother me that much, they buildt it up so it was clear they would win. Both Ecbert and Aethel are still there so maybe that will be the big battle.

I think the big battle they'll show will be Lagatha defending Katacut from the sneaky Earl the brothers have enlisted. Either way I agree with Blob that They missed a chance to show Ragnars son's being 'ruthless' like Ragnar requested. We know Bjorn is a hard ass but we've not seen any of the others fight.

I'm sure before the series is over we will but it'd have been nice to see a bit of it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
I don't think we'll see Lagertha defend Kategat this season, I personally think that'll be season 5. At least that's what would make the most sense.

There's still Ecbert to fight, whose kingdom is huge compared to Aela's, so I think that's where the real fight will be. Aela was never going to be a problem.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »
I watched Revenge tonight. Yeah, kinda disappointing. Yes, it was pretty satisfying seeing King Aelle get his comeuppance, but it would have been far better showing the preceding battle. He could have started out all bravado and bluster, and then gradually realised that he was screwed as the battle went on and his men were getting killed all around him..

I'm sure King Ecbert still has a few tricks up his sleeve, but am I the only one to find Prince Aethelwulf to be very annoying?

I think there's probably enough story left for Season 5, but I think they should probably leave it there. I think the fight for Kattegat will probably be one half of the story, with whatever Ivar gets up to in England the second half of it. I think we're going to see a bit of a transition from a warrior culture to that of trade and commerce, but just guessing.. :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2017, 01:58:31 AM »
I'm looking forward to a big battle next week. The start of the fight this week was great, and it was especially nice to see Ivar's war tactics helping them out, and Floki's reaction when the trap worked.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2017, 06:09:17 AM »
I'm looking forward to a big battle next week. The start of the fight this week was great, and it was especially nice to see Ivar's war tactics helping them out, and Floki's reaction when the trap worked.

Yeah. Glad to see those battles and am looking forward to it next week as well.