Author Topic: History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"  (Read 18239 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »
This show needed it's own thread so I done did start it. The latest episode was another good one. It's been said already about this show but man....it is just solid week in and week out.

I thought for sure the King was going to kill his son in law at the end as they sat on the throne.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:02:10 PM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: History Channels "VIKINGS"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 02:16:08 AM »
Haven't seen last night's episode yet, but season 3 has been really great so far. Season 1 was interesting, and season 2 was a step up, and now the third one is nailing it every week.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »
I'm reaching a strange point with this show where I'm not dying to watch it every week but I'm still sort of curious to see what happens. Maybe it's because I've watched it from the start and there are definitely a lot of drawn out borderline boring segments in the show but it's still entertaining for the most part, just not really gripping.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »
Just saw the recent episode. Great as usual. I really hoped that Ecbert would remain a 'good guy', because I really like him, but I wasn't very surprised with how it turned out. Ecbert, Ragnar, and Athelstan are my three favorite characters.

Oh, and Thorunn looked awesome with the wound and those eyes.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 07:50:10 AM »
Just saw the recent episode. Great as usual. I really hoped that Ecbert would remain a 'good guy', because I really like him, but I wasn't very surprised with how it turned out. Ecbert, Ragnar, and Athelstan are my three favorite characters.

Oh, and Thorunn looked awesome with the wound and those eyes.

I had my suspicions that Ecbert was shadier than he was letting on. I'm gonna look up later if the Real life Ragnar tried to invade Paris or not. I read about him briefly when the series started but don't recall much other than him being a good warrior for some time and that he was killed and beheaded by an English King.
Pretty neat confession from Athelstan to Ragnar about 'at least you have a son'......meanwhile he's fathered a kid he doesn't know about.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
*Stuff about the historical Ragnar*

Whether or not they choose to do this, I'm pretty sure I did not want to know that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:02:41 AM »
*Stuff about the historical Ragnar*

Whether or not they choose to do this, I'm pretty sure I did not want to know that.

Aaaah!  :omg: dude, I'm sorry. I didn't think that was a secret. I really am sorry..... :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »
If it makes you feel any better I was completely wrong about what happened to him. Just re-read his Wiki entry. It's actually pretty interesting stuff.....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 06:27:45 PM »
I love this show -one of the few I bother with these days.  I didn't know about Ecbert (we're only up to S3 Ep 2 ) but I'm not too fussed about spoilers  :lol

Great show.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »
I modified the thread title to include 'spoilers' as to suggest if you enter there's a good chance we are talking about current episodes......or I may accidentally mention history's view of Ragnar.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »
Man, this was a tough episode. The scene with Judith being punished was hard to watch, mostly thanks to the performance of the actor who plays her. Incredible...

And god fucking dammit. Athelstan dead!? I was unsure about the direction they were taking him through the episode, because I always liked him because his conficted nature, his love of both sides. But to kill him? Damn you Vikings.

The scene with Ragnar burying Athelstan was very touching though. I choked up myself when Ragnar said 'We had so much more to talk about'.

This might have been one of the best episodes of Vikings yet, continuing a fantastic 3rd season.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:55:17 PM »
Lagertha.  :metal

Enough said?

I'd watch this show religiously if it contained mostly disemboweled puppies as long as Lagertha held the axe. Amirite?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
Right on  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 02:19:54 AM »
Another great episode. It's hard to pick something specific to comment on, because almost every scene is a really cool and well done moment.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »
I haven't seen last weeks or this weeks yet. Was out of town last week and haven't had time to catch up. What I do know, is that I get to binge watch back to back episodes tonight.....looking forward to that :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »
Man, this was a tough episode. The scene with Judith being punished was hard to watch, mostly thanks to the performance of the actor who plays her. Incredible...

And god fucking dammit. Athelstan dead!? I was unsure about the direction they were taking him through the episode, because I always liked him because his conficted nature, his love of both sides. But to kill him? Damn you Vikings.

The scene with Ragnar burying Athelstan was very touching though. I choked up myself when Ragnar said 'We had so much more to talk about'.

This might have been one of the best episodes of Vikings yet, continuing a fantastic 3rd season.

That was a great episode. The interaction between Ragnar and Athelstan was touching....when Ragnar told him he loved him and then to have him be killed by Floke!? You're right, the buriial scene where Ragnar is talking to him was really well done.

I think that Ragnar is definately setting Floke up to either get killed in battle or Raganr will kill him. Like he said at the grave site.....he is a changed man and you could see it in the following episode.

I'm surprised this show doesn't get more accolades. It's so well done.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
I love the idea of Ragnar setting up Floki to fail. Ragnar is seeming to enjoy it himself.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »
This was, in terms of production, by far the most impressive episode of Vikings yet. Really cool stuff.

They did two major fake-deaths though, which I do not enjoy. First Rollo, who seemed to die sinking into the river, and then Bjorn. I really felt the loss of that character, and I guess I am glad on some lever that he's still alive. But I would rather that have actual deaths instead of those fake-outs.

But even without major deaths, this was a harsh episode on the characters, and their loss was well done. So still a great episode.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
Yeah I was a little bummed when Bjorn was alive.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 10:34:32 PM »
Finally caught the last episode. Definately great production on the battle scene.  I agree the 'fake' deaths were a bit cheesy although I didn't think Rollo was dead. That wasn't a far fall. I took it as him knowing the day has been lost. But Bjorn, dude has two Arrows sticking out of his back. He was dead. Whatever. It looks like it's confirmed Ragnar is ticked about Flokie killing Athlestan. I'm curious as to how Ragnar eventually kills him.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 07:03:13 AM »
I knew that Bjorn Ironside wasn't dead. The historic figure raided France for years after Ragnar's...

Nevermind, this show is glorious but the story doesn't really follow the traditional telling of Ragnar and his sons.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
Let's just not talk about what these characters did in history in this thread, please.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 07:15:06 PM »
I agree. It's not something I'd imagine the average person is very well versed in.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 06:51:49 AM »
 :lol

Okay.  :|

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 08:36:13 AM »
I agree. It's not something I'd imagine the average person is very well versed in.

Wait....what? They didn't teach Viking Lore at your Primary School? We couldn't eat lunch if we didn't know who Oden's third wives fourth child was......

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
 :(

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 03:51:53 AM »
Awesome new episode. That spike wheel rolling down the bridge was truly gruesome. Season finale next week, should be great!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 02:00:02 AM »
That spike wheel!  :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »
It seems like they're weakening Ragnar's character in order to kill him off at the end of this season. At least that is what I'm getting out of it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »
If that happens, this show will have killed 2 out of the 3 characters I am most invested in. It would be a bold move, but I only hope the following seasons won't suffer from it.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
Well, since Rollo is going to be the major character, not even just Ragnar should be dead, but I think Bjorn has to die too. My guess is that they eventually will take Paris, or get a settlement there and that Rollo would be the new Viking king, or maybe even more.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »
Rollo is not nearly as interesting as Ragnar. He won't be able to carry the show.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »
^Agreed. I like Rollo, but he is not that strong of a character.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
^Agreed. I like Rollo, but he is not that strong of a character.

Yeah, I agree with both of you. I'm interested to see where te story goes though. Or even if it continues after Ragnars death.

Oh and: Lagertha :heart
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 08:00:38 PM »
It seems like they're weakening Ragnar's character in order to kill him off at the end of this season. At least that is what I'm getting out of it.

I think its the opposite. I think it's just like season 1 when he was near dead but then fought and killed the Earl. But this time.....it's on a greater scale....more implications etc etc. It's set up as him dying off, showing weakness but I think by the end of the episode he will have faced whomever will challenge him and re-assert himself as THE KING!

That being said....they are doing a great job showing him 'hurt'. The blood urine...coughing up blood and so on.

If that happens, this show will have killed 2 out of the 3 characters I am most invested in. It would be a bold move, but I only hope the following seasons won't suffer from it.

There is no show without Ragnars character IMO. There are other cool characters but he IS the character.