Author Topic: New subforum(s).  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
New subforum(s).
« on: March 18, 2015, 08:13:28 AM »
Any chance we could entertain the idea of having a separate subforum for movies and television like we do the music subforum? I only ask because sometimes shows and movies get their own thread, and sometimes they are just briefly discussed in the movie and television threads. I don't like throwing in a new movie for discussion when the last page has been a discussion (still ongoing) about another movie. I feel like I am interupting things. I also feel that good discussion often times gets cut short because a new topic was introduced.

Just a thought.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New subforum(s).
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
I like this idea. I think there's enough traffic to warrant it's own sub-forum, and maybe we can get a comic book free thread for The Walking Dead?  :biggrin:
This thread has been burned.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:20:05 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
That's a cool idea Chino.  I don't want to say I'm a movie buff because most of the stuff that comes out these days just doesn't interest me, but a subforum would give us the option to start a thread on classic movies, horror movies, a specific movie, and things like that. 

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
I am still of the opinion that there is not enough traffic to warrant it.  However, if it means we can have separate threads for each movie instead of lumping them together into one movie thread (whose idea was that anyway?), I am eager to give it a shot.  Let's see how it goes.  If it gets a decent amount of traffic, we keep it.  If not, it goes away.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »
I don't mind having threads about each show, that's better, but removing the general TV and Movie threads is a bit too much. Some shows don't have enough people watching to warrant a thread and sometimes you want to just ask a general question if something's good or not without much follow up. It's a good way to look for suggestions and feedback.
Maybe having a rule about keeping show-specific (especially spoilery) discussion in the thread dedicated for the show would be the better way to handle it. My 2c.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:04:16 PM »
Do it man.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Bolsters

• Aphelion
  • DTF.org Member
  • I exist where access was denied
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 08:47:41 PM »
This was a good idea, I'm glad it was implemented (and quickly to boot). :tup Now we just need all the existing threads moved over from GD.

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:50:42 PM »
If you PM me with applicable thread links I will move them over. Otherwise I will try and skim through when I have some time in the next few days.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Bolsters

• Aphelion
  • DTF.org Member
  • I exist where access was denied
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:01:53 AM »
If you PM me with applicable thread links I will move them over. Otherwise I will try and skim through when I have some time in the next few days.
The forum is lagging quite a bit for me at the moment, and attempting to send the PM is timing out (so I'm pretty sure it isn't going through, I'm not even sure this post will either TBH). But in any case I went through 15 pages of GD for threads (stuff active in the last year or so) and have the list in a Notepad file, so I'll send it when I can.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
    • BlobVanDam's 3D Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 02:01:06 AM »
I'm not sure we have enough traffic to warrant a whole sub-forum, especially as 90% of current TV discussion has fit into one thread without any issues in the past.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 03:01:53 AM »
Sweeet
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 05:41:08 AM »
I'm not sure we have enough traffic to warrant a whole sub-forum, especially as 90% of current TV discussion has fit into one thread without any issues in the past.

We could have a general TV and general movie thread within the subforum. People can go there to just say a quick thought on something. It'd be like the chat thread in GD.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:29:25 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 06:41:34 AM »
Also, good job mods on getting so many threads moved over so quickly.  :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 06:57:13 AM »

Yeah I kinda agree with this. And I personally don't feel having a separate thread for every show/movie is particularly great, since a lot of them don't really have enough people watching 'em to justify an entire thread.

But who knows, we'll see how it works.
if the flow checks out and your rhymes are dope enough then the police start unholstering their guns

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 07:15:20 AM »

Yeah I kinda agree with this. And I personally don't feel having a separate thread for every show/movie is particularly great, since a lot of them don't really have enough people watching 'em to justify an entire thread.

But who knows, we'll see how it works.

That's why I think we should leave a general thread for both TV and Movies. We have the chit chat thread in GD. I feel like it'd serve the same purpose.

As far as forum traffic goes. The new subforum has more traffic than others on the board.

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
Also, good job mods on getting so many threads moved over so quickly.  :tup
That was me so far, and you're welcome. I think I've captured everything that was last posted in in 2014 and 2015, but if anyone spots something I've missed, let me know.

We'll also look to move older stuff across at some point as well.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »
As far as forum traffic goes. The new subforum has more traffic than others on the board.

That's not a valid figure, since those posts were all while the threads were in GD, so we don't know how the move will affect traffic yet. And the sub forums it's above are very niche, and I personally never go in any of them. I don't want to end up with this subforum going the same way.

And creating a general TV/movie thread in the subforum would defeat the purpose, as we already had that, and they worked well.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »

And creating a general TV/movie thread in the subforum would defeat the purpose, as we already had that, and they worked well.

But we have the chit chat thread in GD. I don't see the difference.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »

Neither do I. Which is why I think they both belong in GD. :P

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »

Neither do I. Which is why I think they both belong in GD. :P

Let's say I watched The Big Green last night. The Big Green does not need its own thread. I could just pop into the general movie thread and say "Watched The Big Green last night. So much nestalgia" and be done with it. Now, take that new Alien movie, that took up an entire page (maybe more) in the old movie thread. That should have its own thread.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »
The solution in the past has always been to just create a new thread for that particular movie or show in GD. In my experience, segmenting the forum hasn't worked too well, and I don't want movie/TV discussions to suffer as a result.

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
I wouldn't be averse to (at a later date) bringing back general threads for movies and TV shows that don't really require their own threads, but I think for now we should see how it goes and give some time for people to create some new threads for things. And of course, if those threads were to exist but certain discussion was more extensive that just a couple of posts, they could be extracted into their own thread.

I'm honestly finding it quite useful having the TV and movie stuff separated out. Scrolling quickly through the threads that haven't been active in a few months (and I missed the shows when they were on) but I have caught up on them subsequently. I'm sure others are like me, and so I expect activity will therefore be more than it was in those threads before. Whether it's ENOUGH more to warrant keeping this sub-forum, I don't know, but it's worth a shot. I definitely see myself being very active in there.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 10:39:09 AM »
I'll definitely try to be as active as I can in the new subforum, I just hope everyone else is too. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »
Blob and I rarely agree ;), but I am with him on this.  I hate forums with too many subforums, and I think the movie and TV stuff was just fine in GD.  But whatever.

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 09:43:53 AM »
Let's say I watched The Big Green last night. The Big Green does not need its own thread. I could just pop into the general movie thread and say "Watched The Big Green last night. So much nestalgia" and be done with it. Now, take that new Alien movie, that took up an entire page (maybe more) in the old movie thread. That should have its own thread.
On this point, I have now finished scouring GD and moving threads across, and I found quite a lot of threads that someone started about something (a) obscure, or (b) old and nostalgic.

Sometimes those threads get a few responses, and sometimes they get hardly any (or on very rare occasions, none at all), but that's not exactly going to be any different in a general movie or TV thread. And in fact, those of us who don't ever frequent those general threads are therefore far more likely to respond if you create a new thread. I would therefore expect you to get more responses that way than in a general thread.

Basically, even for things like that, you can always start a new thread. People do it in General Music all the time.