Author Topic: Ytsejam official bootlegs  (Read 10320 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Ytsejam official bootlegs
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »
We have not had any new ones in quite awhile now.  Now that so much time has passed, I am curious which ones people still actively listen to with any regularity.  While they are all pretty cool, some of them do not really lend themselves to frequent listening with any sort of regularity.  But are there any standouts for folks?  I would imagine some of the live series would be the most listened to, but I could be wrong.

I don't really find myself actively listening to most of them nowadays.  But my top 3 in terms of rotation are probably (in no order):
Dark Side of the Moon cover
When Dream and Day Reunite
Master of Puppets cover

The Falling To Infinity Demos and the Old Bridge who would probably rank pretty high if I had them downloaded onto my work computer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Ytsejam official bootlegs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 11:34:32 AM »
I don't have all of them, and I don't listen regularly to the one I have.

I would imagine my most-listened would be WDADRU.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
I don't really find myself actively listening to most of them nowadays.  But my top 3 in terms of rotation are probably (in no order):

Those for me are the best. The demos are kinda cool, but not something worth returning too, at least for me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »
I definitely listen to the Images and Words demos, Falling Into Infinity demos, and the Making of Metropoiis 2.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
The demos are kinda cool, but not something worth returning too, at least for me.

Same here, with the exception of the FII demos.  The rest are great to have, but the replay-ability is fairly low.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:16:23 PM »
Very interesting thread idea. 

First, I want to say that this is without a doubt the biggest thing I miss about the MP era.  While I bought every one of them religiously, I don't think it should be held against the band that they haven't picked up where he left off because it is not like it is a common thing and its not like MP ever got any of their input, but I still would love to see them pick up with some new ones.  If they don't, I will love them just the same. 

To understand which ones I listen to, I should probably explain how I listen to music. 

I typically listen to music in the car and I have a 120gb ipod with almost all the music I own in physical form which is about 2000 CDs.  I put it on shuffle so I am exposed to music I otherwise haven't had a desire to listen to lately.  When I hear something I really like, I take it off shuffle and listen to more from that album or artist. 

The ones I listen to the most are the demo series.  I love hearing the different structure of some of the songs and the less polished music.  I also love hearing the other vocalists and wish they would release more with Chris Cintron or John Hendricks (I think there are at least 3 or 4 more songs each have done). 

The ones I listen to least are the "Making of" which is still a cool idea and I'm glad I own but they are just so disjointed it isn't interesting to listen to them more than once. 

The live series is inconsistent.  WDADRU and the NYC show are awesome.  Old Bridge is all right.  LA and Tokyo sound crappy so I never listen to them. 

The cover albums are also a cool idea but I never listen to them that much with the exception of Uncovered which has a few tracks that I regularly listen to (Diary of a Madman, Heaven & Hell)

So all in all, I do listen to many of these quite often though not nearly as often as official live releases or studio albums so while I would love to see them resume, I'm not missing out on *that* much.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »
I don't listen to any of them these days, but the ones I used to listen to a lot were the MoP and TNOTB covers. I've only listened to the demos a couple of times each, as they're little more than curiosities to me that don't compare to listening to the finished product.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »
I have all of them.

I listen to the live covers of Maiden, Floyd and Purple most of all.
I listen to the FII Demos a lot (I consider that to be an alternate release, not "demos" per se; I don't really get the issues with "sound" that some have).
I listen to some of the live stuff, including the Uncovered disk, but not that often.

I rarely listen to the early demos, or the "Making of..." disks (though I really dig the one track of Derek fiddling on his keyboard and playing things like Elton John).  I'm a vocal guy, so listening to poor vocalists croon tracks isn't my thing when I know James can and does do them better.

I just got the DVDs recently, and the ToT instrumental tracks (those are better than I thought they would be), and haven't watched the DVDs yet. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
I think maybe one reason why YtseJam was never continued is because their shows just don't deviate much from each other anymore. So, you get the official DVD of the tour, and that will encompass everything with exellent quality. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice if they made their shows a bit more unpredictable for the next tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »

First, I want to say that this is without a doubt the biggest thing I miss about the MP era.  While I bought every one of them religiously, I don't think it should be held against the band that they haven't picked up where he left off because it is not like it is a common thing and its not like MP ever got any of their input, but I still would love to see them pick up with some new ones. 
Amen, Brother!

As far as the DVDs go, the Santiago '05 might be my favorite DT live DVD . I love the small rig. Reminds me of Led Zeppelin. The Bucharest '02 show is excellent too.
I also have the DSOTM DVD that I pull out only when I'm in full blown DT mode. I enjoy watching the performance but I would never get the CD.

As far as the Covers Series goes, I have MOP, TNOTB, Made In Japan, and Uncovered. The Purple one is fantastic. Listen to that a lot. Don't listen to Beast with James' bathroom vocals, I'd prefer the Osaka 4/24/04 boot. Jordan is much more settled into his parts on the boot.

I have the four Live Series ones. I love the NY '93 show. The rest are just OK. I never listen to the LA one as James sounds so bad.

And then we get to WDADRu, where I have the DVD and CD. These are awesome. I consider WDADRu my 5th favorite DT album! I love those songs.

I think maybe one reason why YtseJam was never continued is because their shows just don't deviate much from each other anymore. So, you get the official DVD of the tour, and that will encompass everything with exellent quality. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice if they made their shows a bit more unpredictable for the next tour.
Yeah, this makes sense, but I would've loved something from the 2011 Summer leg.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
Would of loved something from the Yes co-headlining tour.

I listen to MoP, NOTB, and WDARU the most. I also listen to the SFAM alternate mix and FII demos quite a lot. The Old Bridge NJ kicks ass also..Love the raw sound on this one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »
There was no Yes co-headlining tour.  There was a Yes tour, where DT was the opening band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
There was no Yes co-headlining tour.  There was a Yes tour, where DT was the opening band.
DT had a great  setlist for this tour though.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 02:31:17 PM »
DT had a great  setlist for this tour though.
Yes they did.  I have a bootleg from one of the shows and it is one of my favorite DT boots.  It would be great if there were an official boot release from Ytsejam, but if there are any such recordings, I would imagine that MP has them and won't give them up.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »

Oops, my bad!  :rollin

But the setlist was pretty sweet!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 04:00:54 PM »
NYC93, FII Demos, very occasionally WDADRU, IAW Demos and Tokyo 28/10/95.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online Skeever

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 04:18:18 PM »
The live in NY from '93 or so is the only one. Pretty much the best live album DT have from that time period, so that's why.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
The cover series are good specifically the IM and PF ones and then WDADRU, those are the ones I most return to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »
Which reminds me...

I'm going off memory here, so bear with me, but the Japanese "Hollow Years" single has live versions of "Burning My Soul" and "Another Hand/The Killing Hand", allegedly from Old Bridge in '96, one of the Ytsejam boots.  But if you listen to them back to back, they don't seem the same.

Anyone have any insight?  I thought the Ytsejam stuff was untouched, but they are different (I can't recall off the top of my head what the difference was, but I think it was background vocals...)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 03:46:51 AM »
Which reminds me...

I'm going off memory here, so bear with me, but the Japanese "Hollow Years" single has live versions of "Burning My Soul" and "Another Hand/The Killing Hand", allegedly from Old Bridge in '96, one of the Ytsejam boots.  But if you listen to them back to back, they don't seem the same.

Anyone have any insight?  I thought the Ytsejam stuff was untouched, but they are different (I can't recall off the top of my head what the difference was, but I think it was background vocals...)

Whad do you mean they don't seem the same? Different sound quality? Difference vocal performance? I've not listened to that bootleg in years due to James's bad shape, especially since there are far better alternative bootlegs with the same setlist. As far as I remember BMS and AH/TKH were performed back to back on that tour, so there should be perfect continuity between the two tracks.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 04:21:32 AM »
The covers are all quite fun, and I quite like WDADRU as well. Other than that, I have the FII demos which are pretty good, but that's about it really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
Which reminds me...

I think they just remixed and/or remastered the Ytsejam boot.  That's actually my favorite version of AH/TKH, and I listen to that Official Bootleg all the time.  One main difference is they took out the "Mike, you wanna do this?" from just before James comes in in TKH, but I think the rest of the sound difference on that track is down to the mix/master

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:44 AM »
Which reminds me...

They are from the same show and are the same performances. In fact, there is a French only promo from 1998 that has those 2 tracks, as well as Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden and Take Away My Pain from the same show, which you can see here:
https://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Live_Bonus_Tracks_%28Promo_CD%29

I believe the difference between the recordings is that the tracks that appeared on the HY single and French promo were mixed from multi-track tapes as I seem to remember reading somewhere a long time ago that they were recording that show. However, I'm pretty certain that the recording that is of the full Birch Hill show is probably from MP's 2-track DAT recording, as I believe most, if not all of the Live Series recordings are. So I believe that's why there is a difference in the sound, altho I've never confirmation one way or the other.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »
The ones that get spinned here from time to time are the FII demos, WDADR, and the Bucharest and Santiago dvds. Despite some other releases not being extremely interesting, they're still a means to document specific periods in DT history, which is always cool in my book. What worries me a bit is that some bootlegs haven't been available for some time now (like the I&W demos). Here's to hoping they've not been forgotten by the band.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »
We have not had any new ones in quite awhile now.  Now that so much time has passed, I am curious which ones people still actively listen to with any regularity.  While they are all pretty cool, some of them do not really lend themselves to frequent listening with any sort of regularity.  But are there any standouts for folks?  I would imagine some of the live series would be the most listened to, but I could be wrong.

Master of Puppets cover

The Falling To Infinity Demos and the Old Bridge who would probably rank pretty high if I had them downloaded onto my work computer.

I picked up the cover discs of Floyd, Metallica, Maiden, and Purple.  Good stuff.  :hat
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »
I always liked the "Live in Bucharest" - release, great setlist with some alternate versions of some songs. It's not that great sonically but it doesn't bother me in this case. I like when Petrucci busts out the talk box in Lines In the Sand.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »

First, I want to say that this is without a doubt the biggest thing I miss about the MP era.  While I bought every one of them religiously, I don't think it should be held against the band that they haven't picked up where he left off because it is not like it is a common thing and its not like MP ever got any of their input, but I still would love to see them pick up with some new ones. 
Amen, Brother!

As far as the DVDs go, the Santiago '05 might be my favorite DT live DVD . I love the small rig. Reminds me of Led Zeppelin. The Bucharest '02 show is excellent too.

All of this.

I also listen to WDADR on a fairly regular basis too.  The other ones, not as much but still enough that i'm glad I have them.

I really liked how these releases rounded out each era.  You could have a studio album, the live release and then maybe a boot or fanclub release along with the associated YTSEJAM.

If they released more, I'd be all over it!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »
I picked up all of these as soon as they were released. Easily the one I listened to the most was WDADrU. i still pop in the DVD and listen to the commentary. It's so interesting. I have listened to most of the other ones many many times. My least favorite is the Deep Purple CD, but the Iron Maiden cover disc actually got me listening to and enjoying Maiden. It's been a sad five years without any ytsejam stuff. It's what separeted DT from the pack (along with the fan clun stuff, which also disappeared slightly before MP left). I loved these releases and often listened to these more than the official releases. Holding out hope something like this will be implimented again one day.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 01:40:51 PM »
I probably listen to the Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, and Metallica covers CDs the least of it.  I like the Pink Floyd one because it has the extra disc of material which is good and I like the Uncovered disc.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
I just put on The Dark Side of the Moon. Instrumentally very good, and MVP for me is Theresa. The weakest part for me is James, he just doesn't have the voice for it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 06:18:33 AM »
Which reminds me...

They are from the same show and are the same performances. In fact, there is a French only promo from 1998 that has those 2 tracks, as well as Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden and Take Away My Pain from the same show, which you can see here:
https://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Live_Bonus_Tracks_%28Promo_CD%29

I believe the difference between the recordings is that the tracks that appeared on the HY single and French promo were mixed from multi-track tapes as I seem to remember reading somewhere a long time ago that they were recording that show. However, I'm pretty certain that the recording that is of the full Birch Hill show is probably from MP's 2-track DAT recording, as I believe most, if not all of the Live Series recordings are. So I believe that's why there is a difference in the sound, altho I've never confirmation one way or the other.

Thanks, Scotty.  It's not the sound; I'm capable of getting past that (and recognize they may be from different sources), it's the sounds being produced.  Again, I'm going off memory, but I think @ZirconBlue got one of the differences; there are vocals in one that aren't in the other, but I remember that the "edit" was in the Ytsejam version and I remember thinking it should be the other way around if the Ytsejam version is "uncut".   I'll try to go listen again today and see if I can get a couple concrete differences. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 07:41:29 AM »
I don't think the Ytsejam releases were "uncut".  They were just recorded on DAT, so there would little, if any, correction that could be made on individual instruments/vocals.  But the recording as a whole could be EQ'd/mastered.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »
The only ones I listen to with ANY regularity anymore are select live albums, particularly the NYC '93 show, the '95 show with Derek and his performance of the full version of ACOS (which is interesting to hear HIM play it full), and the WDADRU show. Other live shows get spun every now and then, but ever since I pieced together the full Paris show from OIALT, I don't spin the '96 or '98 shows often.

The covers get a listen every now and then, but I'll admit it's been over a year or two since I listened to ANY of them, be it the covers compilation or the cover albums.

If you include the complete Bottrill mixes from the Making of SFAM, then I listen to them all the time since it's the only version of SFAM I listen to (since it has stuff in it that was cut out from the actual release).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »
The only ones I listen to with ANY regularity anymore are select live albums, particularly the NYC '93 show, the '95 show with Derek and his performance of the full version of ACOS (which is interesting to hear HIM play it full), and the WDADRU show. Other live shows get spun every now and then, but ever since I pieced together the full Paris show from OIALT, I don't spin the '96 or '98 shows often.

The covers get a listen every now and then, but I'll admit it's been over a year or two since I listened to ANY of them, be it the covers compilation or the cover albums.

If you include the complete Bottrill mixes from the Making of SFAM, then I listen to them all the time since it's the only version of SFAM I listen to (since it has stuff in it that was cut out from the actual release).

-Marc.

What were your sources for piecing the complete OIALT show, if I may ask? I love the rawness of that live album..Would love to hear it complete.