Author Topic: Criticism around the web of post-Portnoy DT  (Read 22308 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Criticism around the web of post-Portnoy DT
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2015, 06:27:23 AM »
On topic...I think people fail to realize that it's not the same band anymore, and that's okay. 20% of the band has changed. That may not seem like a lot but it really is. Comparing the two is okay, but not if your comparison is because you expect the band to be the same band as it was when MP was there. He was a major part of their creative process; and even if MM contributed as much as MP did previously, it would still be different because they're two different people.

It's like Dee Sniders gripe with KISS and Tommy Thayer. It would be great if KISS brought in musicians to replace Ace and Peter, but the problem arises because they are in essence playing the role of Ace and Peter. It's almost like people expect or want MM to BE MP. He's not. And I don't want him to be.

I can still enjoy DT, and all of the musicians and enjoy the new fork in their journey. I mean think of how much the band changed when Jordan joined. It was an incredible transformation. But at least they're keeping it real.

Only 40% of the band is the same from When Dream And Day Unite.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2015, 06:35:34 AM »
I'm not surprised if some people refuse to give a chance to the new DT or dislike it just because of MP's absence, but those are just a small yet vocal minority. All bands have (ex-)fans who think they turned to crap when one member left or the band changed its style.

There is definitely a small group of those which I really can't understand.  Dislike it because you don't like the music, not just because of some drama that ensued. I'm not going to stop listening to something I love because one of my favorite members of the band left. It's like boycotting a product because of the owner's political or religious views. Shit, people (right wingers) were boycotting Starbucks because there was a rumour going around a few years back on the Internet saying that Starbucks refused to send coffee to the troops in Iraq. So people started this mass email saying to boycott Starbucks.  Meanwhile, the whole thing wound up being not true. So, yeah.  Just listen to the damn music if you like it and if you don't like it listen to something else. Forget the band drama. That's for the band to be concerned with, not this person and that person. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2015, 07:01:36 AM »
On topic...I think people fail to realize that it's not the same band anymore, and that's okay. 20% of the band has changed. That may not seem like a lot but it really is. Comparing the two is okay, but not if your comparison is because you expect the band to be the same band as it was when MP was there. He was a major part of their creative process; and even if MM contributed as much as MP did previously, it would still be different because they're two different people.

It's like Dee Sniders gripe with KISS and Tommy Thayer. It would be great if KISS brought in musicians to replace Ace and Peter, but the problem arises because they are in essence playing the role of Ace and Peter. It's almost like people expect or want MM to BE MP. He's not. And I don't want him to be.

I can still enjoy DT, and all of the musicians and enjoy the new fork in their journey. I mean think of how much the band changed when Jordan joined. It was an incredible transformation. But at least they're keeping it real.

He's talking about Portnoy leaving which is 20% of the band.  1 in 5.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
I KNOW

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2015, 07:39:20 AM »

Yes, and only 40% of the band is the same from When Dream and Day Unite.

Wake up, king.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
Wake up King. Time to take to your throne....

Don't forget to courtesy flush :neverusethis:

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2015, 08:05:01 AM »
Yea but its only 20% less different than when Derek Sherinian left anyway - at which point it as only 20% less different when he joined in the first place.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2015, 08:37:50 AM »

Yes, and only 40% of the band is the same from When Dream and Day Unite.

Wake up, king.

Well Duh.  I get that but Temp was talking about the last change.  I know math. :biggrin:  I just can't spell. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »

It's been a few years since this has happened, but still:

I can't count the number of people I've talked to who think that Images and Words is their first album, among other things that so many people are or were unaware of.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »
MOST people don't know that Dream Theater has an album before I&W, so that should not be surprising to you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
Wake up King. Time to take to your throne....

Don't forget to courtesy flush :neverusethis:

:lol

I missed this!  I don't courtesy flush.  I'm mean like that.

MOST people don't know that Dream Theater has an album before I&W, so that should not be surprising to you.

I own it and I forget about it.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »

They're missing out  :lol
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Only two out of the original five remain.

They're both guitarists and they're both called John.

;D

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2015, 10:50:06 AM »
Only two out of the original five remain.

They're both guitarists and they're both called John.

;D

And they both can melt you with their minds. 

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »
I don't think the different sound is because of Mangini at all. You can definitely tell that SC and BCaSL were transitioning into that sound. Personally the new sound's a hit or miss for me. It feels a bit more mainstream. Which I normally wouldn't have a problem with (FII is my 2nd fav album), but it's not the same mainstream as FII... I guess 90's mainstream metal sound was different than 10's mainstream metal sound.

I probably worded that terribly, but my point is, I don't care for their newer sound as much. While there's been some cool stuff (Bridges in the Sky, Far From Heaven, The Enemy Inside) there's a good bit of songs that got old quickly (The Bigger Picture, Beneath the Surface) or never were appealing (Surrender to Reason, hate me).

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2015, 07:07:59 PM »
I think Illumination theory should have been an instrumental.    The vocals kind of ruin it for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2015, 05:51:26 AM »
I think Illumination theory should have been an instrumental.    The vocals kind of ruin it for me.

Wow!  What was it specifically about the vocals?

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2015, 05:58:40 AM »
JLBs vocals after the string section there gave me goosebumps on first listen. It's been a while since any DT song did that.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2015, 07:31:47 AM »
That's a first.  Never heard this one before.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:21 AM »
Wow. The song that has the best JLB vocal performance in a long while?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »
I don't really like the vocals in IT, but making it instrumental would just turn it into a huge waste of space.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2015, 12:48:56 PM »
I don't really like the vocals in IT, but making it instrumental would just turn it into a huge waste of space.

I think the vocals are excellent given JLB's age.  Some of the higher notes do seem a tad too forced and that is understandable.  I listened to some fairly recent Kansas yesterday and boy, time has not been kind to Steve Walsh's pipes.  But it happens.  JLB can and has worked around it better than most.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Skeever

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »
I've got to join the minority camp here - JLB's vocals on IT are fine until the high part. Whatever he's doing there, he's making it sound about 10x harder than it really is. Maybe he's genuinely straining to hit those notes, but I've always felt like the mark of a good player is that they make it look easy.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »

Hang on...In your first post, on the IT appreciation thread, you say you don't like the instrumental, yet here you're saying you wish the whole song was instrumental?  ???

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2015, 04:37:32 PM »
That's such a small part of the song though.  It shouldn't be enough to discourage one from the song.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
I think the section in question is 100% intentional by James. That is, I don't think he's going for something he can't deliver. I'm not toooo much a fan of that particular section of vocals either (particularly the vibrato end), but I definitely feel it was an artistic choice by James (vs an unintentional delivery).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
I'm not suggesting that the MUSIC is different per se since MM joined the band. What I'm suggesting is the energy and chemistry has changed. That's not necessarily a bad thing; but it's a different band. People who expect the band to be exactly the same album after album have the hardest time accepting this. It's not just DT. Bands change, and those changes while not always obvious do make a difference. Hopefully (for my tastes) the bands I enjoy are always looking to change, grow, or evolve. But even if they try not to, with a personnel change it's nearly a given, even if it's subtle.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2015, 11:50:54 PM »

Hang on...In your first post, on the IT appreciation thread, you say you don't like the instrumental, yet here you're saying you wish the whole song was instrumental?  ???

The sting section goes on for too long.   Would have been better with some Jon Anderson type singing during it

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2015, 03:30:16 AM »

The sting section goes on for too long.   Would have been better with some Jon Anderson type singing during it

And yet you wish the song were an instrumental? I'm afraid I don't understand you, sir.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2015, 04:55:39 AM »
I'm not suggesting that the MUSIC is different per se since MM joined the band. What I'm suggesting is the energy and chemistry has changed. That's not necessarily a bad thing; but it's a different band. People who expect the band to be exactly the same album after album have the hardest time accepting this. It's not just DT. Bands change, and those changes while not always obvious do make a difference. Hopefully (for my tastes) the bands I enjoy are always looking to change, grow, or evolve. But even if they try not to, with a personnel change it's nearly a given, even if it's subtle.
True, but I do think the energy right before MP left was at an all-time low.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2015, 06:36:34 AM »
True, but I do think the energy right before MP left was at an all-time low.

I'd say ADTOE was their all time low for energy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2015, 07:35:48 AM »
I think the section in question is 100% intentional by James. That is, I don't think he's going for something he can't deliver. I'm not toooo much a fan of that particular section of vocals either (particularly the vibrato end), but I definitely feel it was an artistic choice by James (vs an unintentional delivery).
Definitely this. I think it's a decent enough section - I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
ADTOE would be my second favourite album of theirs these days, after SFAM, and ahead of 6DOIT and FII.

DT12... I don't have enough of an opinion on it to rank it against the other albums of theirs I'm not very fond of, but there wasn't a single song on there that spoke to me at all, which is I think an absolute first for me.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »
People have been making the same kind of criticisms about DT material for a long time, I don't think it's anything particularly to do with the fact that it's post-Portnoy. It's just their opinion. For example to me someone lambasting elements of ITPOE or The Count Of Tuscany while praising the same elements in Octavarium, or considering SFAM god's gift to music while proclaiming SDOIT is uter crap, seems just as nonsensical to me. It is just their opinion, and while it's good to try to justify your opinion a little I tend to find that there's a very limited amount of explanation you can do before you get to a point where one person has one opinion and someone else has another. It's especially fickle when it comes to something like long term fandom of a band, since changing tastes, expectations and even nostalgia often play a role, whether we notice it or not.

As for post-Portnoy DT stuff, I think ADTOE is one of their best albums while DT12 is one of their most mediocre, but the drumming isn't really a big deciding factor for either of them.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »
To a certain extent, I agree. But there's a huge rift to me starting with the albums the band have put out on Roadrunner. For me, it's not so much the Portnoy era. Score seems like the true end of an era to me. Systematic Chaos does not at all sound like the same band who showed up to play RCMH.