Author Topic: Criticism around the web of post-Portnoy DT  (Read 22315 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Criticism around the web of post-Portnoy DT
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
People need to be careful not to minimize MP's contributions but they also need to be careful not to overstate his contributions. 

Because one of the main things he did was help arrange songs, people misconstrue his role as that of *the* arranger.  JP and JR from what I understand did as much arranging but I think it is safe to assume more arranging than MP did.  Afterall, they wrote 99% of the riffs so I'm sure they did the majority of the arranging in its beginning stages.  Then as they were piecing the song together MP probably had much more of a say and was much more vocal but that doesn't mean he railroaded the other two just because they are more soft spoken. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
Frankly, I was actually blown away how *little* difference there was between SC/BCSL and ADOTE/DT12. There are differences of course, but not much more than the small increments that happened for a long time already. Most of the things I have seen being touted as a new thing since the schism, had really been already going on for several albums before MP split.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2015, 04:40:46 PM »
MP was like Lars Ulrich.

They can't really play any melodic instrument so they figured out they could get a writers credit if they "arrange".

Because drummers don't count as "writers" unless they split their money equally which they didn't do until Trujillo came along.

Offline 425

« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2015, 06:09:46 PM »
MP definitely plays a significant role in arranging, though, in any band that he's in. It's clear that he does just from the few minutes of songwriting footage we got on the Transatlantic Kaleidoscope documentary, in which he takes the lead in figuring out how complex multi-part songs will go together. Whether Lars does the same is more questionable.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
Frankly, I was actually blown away how *little* difference there was between SC/BCSL and ADOTE/DT12. There are differences of course, but not much more than the small increments that happened for a long time already. Most of the things I have seen being touted as a new thing since the schism, had really been already going on for several albums before MP split.

Not sure I agree. I don't see many traces of the band that wrote ITPOE and ANTR, for example, on the past two albums. That stuff came from a different sonic place. Likewise, songs like OTBOA and TBP just are hard to imagine on SC or BCSL. Part is the production (esp. drums), but there's an overarching feel that definitely changed.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »

Not sure I agree. I don't see many traces of the band that wrote ITPOE and ANTR, for example, on the past two albums. That stuff came from a different sonic place. Likewise, songs like OTBOA and TBP just are hard to imagine on SC or BCSL. Part is the production (esp. drums), but there's an overarching feel that definitely changed.

...and I gotta disagree with that.  I think TBP sounds just like a band that has written songs like IWBY and TDEN but quite simply put a little more of an ambient, moody spin on it.  I don't see a huge difference...at least anymore than there was a difference between SFAM and SDOIT or 8V and SC.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2015, 07:46:07 PM »
MP definitely plays a significant role in arranging, though, in any band that he's in. It's clear that he does just from the few minutes of songwriting footage we got on the Transatlantic Kaleidoscope documentary, in which he takes the lead in figuring out how complex multi-part songs will go together. Whether Lars does the same is more questionable.

That might be true, but the thing is, Neal Morse and Roine Stolt are already both masters at that, so he's not doing anything those guys couldn't do already. 

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2015, 07:52:08 PM »

...and I gotta disagree with that.  I think TBP sounds just like a band that has written songs like IWBY and TDEN but quite simply put a little more of an ambient, moody spin on it.  I don't see a huge difference...at least anymore than there was a difference between SFAM and SDOIT or 8V and SC.

Oh, I don't think that ADTOE and DT12 were especially groundbreaking albums for DT. TBP would fit on other albums (8V and FII, for example, and it's not too far from SFAM/SDOIT sound). But specifically SC/BCSL? Different headspace for me. I think that DT had gotten to a certain place there that was different fromt their past (for better or worse) and that since then, they've moved back to variants of the space they were at before those albums. 8V in particular isn't far removed from ADTOE/DT12; I think SC/BCSL are.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2015, 07:08:13 AM »

Yeah, I don't agree with that either.    I'm not saying it's the difference between Slayer and One Direction, but there is a difference.   Perhaps it is because I just ended up listening to the ToT and BC&SL instrumental mixes that it seems so obvious to me.   There is a degree to which the music as arranged by Mike breathes in a way that the music as arranged by JP/JR/whoever doesn't.   I'm not at all saying "better" or "worse" (though I know which one I prefer), just different.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2015, 07:09:50 AM »
MP was like Lars Ulrich.

They can't really play any melodic instrument so they figured out they could get a writers credit if they "arrange".

Because drummers don't count as "writers" unless they split their money equally which they didn't do until Trujillo came along.

That's a rather cynical way of looking at it.   Even if you just count the "DT Rule" requiring lyric writers to come up with the melody lines, you're kind of off-base from the get go.   

Offline FLEEBS

I don't dislike the new material because of Mangini. I think he's a pretty awesome guy.

I'm just not super excited about the music DT have been making since he joined the band.

^This.
Eat your beets. RECYCLE!!!

Offline FLEEBS

DT12 is bad but people blame mangini because of the bad drum sound. But really, the album is not bad because of mangini at all. It just feels kind of uninspired...

Man, I'm new to this forum, but I thought I was the only one that hated the drum sounds on DT12. At least with any fan I've ever spoken to in person. To clarify, I think the drumming itself is just fine, but the sound and production of the drums (and the production of the overall album) is terrible.

Anyway, I totally agree with your post.
Eat your beets. RECYCLE!!!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2015, 12:43:44 AM »
DT13 will prove all you wrong.
This album will kick so much ass it will take SFAM's place as well as I&W
YOU HEARD IT.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2015, 12:51:11 AM »
hahaha lol that's your best post yet

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:36 AM »
When I wrote this, I was still new here and believed that people here loved PMU and disliked Metropolis or underrated it.
Now I see that there is no real criticism toward MM himself but to the albums, arguments which I've grown to agree with
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2015, 01:33:17 AM »
When I wrote this, I was still new here and believed that people here loved PMU and disliked Metropolis or underrated it.
Now I see that there is no real criticism toward MM himself but to the albums, arguments which I've grown to agree with

The post is from today silly.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2015, 02:04:55 AM »

Lives can change in 20 minutes.  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2015, 04:01:49 AM »
Your best bet is to have no expectations at all, it could only get better from there on.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2015, 06:55:35 AM »

:facepalm:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »
ADToE and DT12 >>>>>>>>>> BCSL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »

No argument from me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2015, 08:07:53 AM »

No argument from me.

@bl5150
LOL @ your avatar. That's how I look at DTF when reading threads and waiting for DT's new album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
Switch BCSL and SC for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2015, 10:51:50 AM »
ADTOE >>>>>SC>>DT12>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BC&SL

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2015, 10:54:41 AM »
SC>BCASL/ADTOE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DT12
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »
I guess I'll jump in as well...

ADTOE>>DT12>>>>>>>>BC&SL>SC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
Systematic Chaos has not aged well with me at all. Easily my least favorite DT record.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, who gives a fuck about what some loser on youtube thinks?

Yeah, some people haven't liked the last two albums.  But a lot of people HAVE liked them too.

I've been a DT fan a long time.  This happens for almost every album.

Hef is right on the mark.   I think you could replace the respective album titles and say all these criticisms about the last x number of albums.   It sucks royal when your second release (and first with your "classic lineup") sells more than any other three albums in your discography combined.   I hopped on the DT train with the release of I&W and it is the gold standard for me too, though I don't share the acrimony for the later works (though the OP loses all credibility with me by saying DT12 is "better" than I&W.  Hahaha).

I LIKE the last two, I just don't LOVE the last two like I do I&W, SFAM, SDOIT, and Octavarium (my three favorite DT albums).  Personally, I like bands with creative tension, and I do think that is missing here, for better or worse.  Other than Marillion, I can't name a band that I outright LOVE that doesn't have at least two strong members that give and take during the creative process.  I think that while JR is a force, I don't get the sense that there is more than one king in the kingdom of DT, and to me that is never a great sign for creativity.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »
SC>BCASL/ADTOE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DT12

Ehhh . May as well.

The RoadRunner Albums :

1. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
2. Systematic Chaos
3. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
4. DT12 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2015, 02:54:42 PM »
I'll rate the RR records as well.

1: ADToE
2: BC&SL
3: DT12
4: SC
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
1. DT12
2. ADTOE
3. SC
4. BC&SL

Online Skeever

Also, who gives a fuck about what some loser on youtube thinks?

Yeah, some people haven't liked the last two albums.  But a lot of people HAVE liked them too.

I've been a DT fan a long time.  This happens for almost every album.

Hef is right on the mark.   I think you could replace the respective album titles and say all these criticisms about the last x number of albums.   It sucks royal when your second release (and first with your "classic lineup") sells more than any other three albums in your discography combined.   I hopped on the DT train with the release of I&W and it is the gold standard for me too, though I don't share the acrimony for the later works (though the OP loses all credibility with me by saying DT12 is "better" than I&W.  Hahaha).

I LIKE the last two, I just don't LOVE the last two like I do I&W, SFAM, SDOIT, and Octavarium (my three favorite DT albums).  Personally, I like bands with creative tension, and I do think that is missing here, for better or worse.  Other than Marillion, I can't name a band that I outright LOVE that doesn't have at least two strong members that give and take during the creative process.  I think that while JR is a force, I don't get the sense that there is more than one king in the kingdom of DT, and to me that is never a great sign for creativity.
You've nailed it. There's not enough tension on DT12.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2015, 05:40:29 PM »
DT>ADTOE>>>>>>>>>SC>BC&SL
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »
ADTOE>>DT12>>>>>BCSL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.......>SC

Offline Darkstarshades