Author Topic: Criticism around the web of post-Portnoy DT  (Read 22314 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Criticism around the web of post-Portnoy DT
« on: March 14, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »
So I've been watching several videos around the web and looking at people's reviews on ADTOE and DT12
And many people are qq'ing about GENERAL stuff, not just the drumming, no, the whole DT work.
Why? For various things, it is as if nobody was happy with what they are doing.

What do people want?
They want Images and Words re-realased, they want Labrie's voice to, through sorcery and witchcraft, transform back to how it was in 1992

Reason for this rant?
I just saw someone throwing absolute crap at Illumination Theory (Which I consider to be one of the best stuff DT has created since Octavarium, I agree with the guy that made the appreciaton post).
But making absolutely nonsense points, I'll tell you why.
He was saying that Illumination Theory is just a couple of songs poorly stitched together to create a larger piece, and that it was the first DT epic to sound like several songs glued together... Yet the guy claims SDOIT is the best thing DT has ever done... Really? (And no, it was not a trolling post, it was honest!)
(I also read posts saying that it had blatantly ripped off Tchaivosky's Piano Concerto, and that it sucked because of that)
Yet when these people hear works with MP's, even though they had also drawn inspirations from other sources, they instantly say it's an extreme masterpiece.
So is this hatred from the fact that they are too butthurt (like me with this post ugh) with MP being 5 years gone from the group, or is it that DT's music seems to have gone down in quality?
I actually rank DT12 much higher than, let's say, Images and Words (Don't get me wrong, I love Metropolis and Another Day, but I just can't say the same for the rest of the album).
Now imagine that DT12, instead of having Mangini, it has Portnoy, and that the music stays the same...
Would it get the same hatred it gets? (The same goes for ADTOE)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:26:57 AM by bosk1 »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I don't dislike the new material because of Mangini. I think he's a pretty awesome guy.

I'm just not super excited about the music DT have been making since he joined the band.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
If DT12 had Portnoy I would dislike it just the same.

Offline jmasterx

DT12 is bad but people blame mangini because of the bad drum sound. But really, the album is not bad because of mangini at all. It just feels kind of uninspired...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
DT12 is great and has very little to do with MM.  His drumming is fine and even amazing at points, but the songs are good IMO.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
DT fans like to bitch about everything. That's the curse of liking prog, the 'intelligent man's rock music'.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I actually prefer DT12 and ADTOE to the last two Portnoy CDs with the band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I prefer them to pretty much everything else post KM.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline 425

I prefer ADTOE to anything that doesn't have a burning heart and a four-poster bed on the cover. But that's neither here nor there.

A lot of fans are casual fans. Portnoy was the face of the band for a lot of people, and there's undeniably been changes since he left in both the music and PR departments. So there's that. And there's also the fact that, for a lot of people in the case of a lot of bands, the new will never live up to the old. People have had years and years to form emotional attachments to albums like IAW and SFAM, and the newer material just doesn't have that for some of them. Others will never give the new stuff a chance because they're more casual fans who liked one particular style that DT had and don't appreciate the changes they've undergone since the days of that style. Others just grab on to the assumption that new material is always a pale imitation of old material. Still others legitimately gave the new material a shot and didn't like it. Regardless, these types of comments are par for the course with a band's later material, especially after replacing a beloved member. I wouldn't worry so much about them.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Darkstarshades

BC&SL was pretty cool tho, even though it felt more like a bonus songs CD, rather than a standalone album.
In fact, when I first heard it, I tho it was something of scrapped song compilation, just because it felt short for me and mostly... Weird, then I realized it was in fact an album  xD.
Now, DT12 is cool, very cool, awesome, and way above in quality than its 2 predecessors.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
DT12 is one of my least favourite DT albums, and I wouldn't enjoy DT12 any more if it had MP on it (although it wouldn't have been the same album with MP on it). To me IT does sound stitched together. It has nothing to do with the fact MP left the band and got replaced by MM. And SDOIT is my favourite song by DT.
So I'm not seeing a problem, except for getting too butthurt by other people's opinions. :P

(I wouldn't have used that term except you used it in the OP, so just kidding :) )
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Darkstarshades

DT12 is one of my least favourite DT albums, and I wouldn't enjoy DT12 any more if it had MP on it (although it wouldn't have been the same album with MP on it). To me IT does sound stitched together. It has nothing to do with the fact MP left the band and got replaced by MM. And SDOIT is my favourite song by DT.
So I'm not seeing a problem, except for getting too butthurt by other people's opinions. :P

(I wouldn't have used that term except you used it in the OP, so just kidding :) )
SDOIT is my 2nd favorite all time by DT, second only to Octavarium.
However, I said that because the argument of IT is crap because it sounds like a couple of songs placed together is... dumb, considering the guy loves SDOIT. Simply said it to make a point xD (altho get the joke)
And yes, I am butthurt lol
Jatruccyundessgini

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
This thread is meaningless, because there is no such thing as a "general fanbase" when it comes to DT.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Opinions

Have yours.  Don't care about others.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Though, the minority is always the loudest in all aspects of life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Also, who gives a fuck about what some loser on youtube thinks?

Yeah, some people haven't liked the last two albums.  But a lot of people HAVE liked them too.

I've been a DT fan a long time.  This happens for almost every album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Probably some nerd in his basement or dark room typing out a manifesto for... his...st....

Crap, I'm typing from a dark room right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Sycsa

This, or in a forum's case, negative opinions tend to get repeated by the same users multiple times, not so much for positive ones. Based on a bunch of polls, above 80% of DTF has a positive opinion regarding ADTOE and DT12. I think they're the best DT albums since SDOIT (maybe even SFAM) and BTFW is their pivotal live release, while the MM era is a great time to be a DT fan.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I hate MP - but i've always given his side projects a go incase I like the music.

Only it gets harder and harder with each of his public outbursts.

And as I said in another thread - i've gotten bored of the same 5 drum fills.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
This, or in a forum's case, negative opinions tend to get repeated by the same users multiple times, not so much for positive ones. Based on a bunch of polls, above 80% of DTF has a positive opinion regarding ADTOE and DT12. I think they're the best DT albums since SDOIT (maybe even SFAM) and BTFW is their pivotal live release, while the MM era is a great time to be a DT fan.

If you consider "average" to be a positive vote.
The recent ranking thread puts it into perspective. ADTOE is a bit over the place in ranking, but seems to rank right in the middle overall. DT12 appears to average out noticeably lower. Of course these are only relative measurements of quality, so obviously that's not saying people necessarily dislike these albums. Many fans like me like most of the albums regardless of where they rank against the others.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:37:03 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
DTF's rankings are pretty consistent with other online rankings. It's somewhere at the top of the "tier 2" albums. So, not comparable (and not by a good distance) to IAW/SFAM/Awake/SDOIT/ToT (which are the tier 1 albums), but just "good average", so to speak.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Sycsa

DTF's rankings are pretty consistent with other online rankings. It's somewhere at the top of the "tier 2" albums. So, not comparable (and not by a good distance) to IAW/SFAM/Awake/SDOIT/ToT (which are the tier 1 albums), but just "good average", so to speak.
I doubt ToT is a tier 1 album (probably not a coincidence you mentioned it last). I'll give you the rest, but both Awake and SDOIT are somewhat controversial. I think the only clear t1 albums that virtually everyone can agree on are IaW & SFaM. The rest comes after.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
We had a thread about the rankings a while ago. This one is based on RYM rankings:

So, yeah, ToT is indeed straggling both tiers. But Awake is solid tier 1, nothing controversial there :lol

Regarding the notion that people somehow unduly criticize post-MP, not so. If you look at the graph, rankers have not considered any album of the last 13 years a tier 1 album, long before MP left.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:26:33 AM by rumborak »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5

This. Although there were instances of 'cool' parts of songs on SC and BC&SL.....ADTOE and DT12 feel and sound like more complete songs. And, speaking of the MP thing.....I personally feel like his drumming on those two CD's wasn't as inspired.....it was 'basic' MP. I can see why he wanted a break because you could hear how tired he was in those last two efforts.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5

:clap:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline 425

Yeah, as for that recent rankings thread... I'm getting on those calculations right now, so in a few hours I'll post a new thread with the composite rankings according to what people posted in my thread.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Sycsa

So, yeah, ToT is indeed straggling both tiers. But Awake is solid tier 1, nothing controversial there :lol
What's funny? The graph only further proves my point that I&W and SFAM are the clear fan favorites, a tier above the rest, if you will. Awake, and everything else, comes after. None of them would ever have the chance to usurp either I&W or SFAM.

Offline erwinrafael

The thread with the votes in posts instead of a silent poll? PostMP DT Material of any kind always get relatively more negative results in vocal posts than silent polls.

Offline erwinrafael

What's funny? The graph only further proves my point that I&W and SFAM are the clear fan favorites, a tier above the rest, if you will. Awake, and everything else, comes after. None of them would ever have the chance to usurp either I&W or SFAM.

Which is unfortunate. Like Beatles fans never got to dig the music as the babd evolved.

Offline 425

Yeah, I think Sycsa is right in that IAW and SFAM are the clear top two, and then Awake and SDOIT come next, with most people really loving those but the rare person ranking them low (like me and SDOIT).

The thread with the votes in posts instead of a silent poll? PostMP DT Material of any kind always get relatively more negative results in vocal posts than silent polls.

The thread that I started with the votes in the posts is what I'm calculating now. Are you honestly suggesting that people are under-ranking the Mangini albums just because other people can see their votes?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline erwinrafael

What I mean is that the ones who do not like those albums are actually very vocal. They post a lot. Just making an observation that the silent polls usually do not give a very negative public opinion on the last two albums relative to what one would see from vocal posts.

Offline 425

That's definitely true. What I'm talking about though is the thread that I posted a couple of weeks ago called "The Unofficial DTF Album Ranking Project," where everyone posted their album ranking. I see no reason to believe that thread won't result in an accurate calculation of the forum's opinion as it relates to those albums.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
What I mean is that the ones who do not like those albums are actually very vocal. They post a lot. Just making an observation that the silent polls usually do not give a very negative public opinion on the last two albums relative to what one would see from vocal posts.

There's nothing "vocal" about posting a general ranking that has nothing to do specifically with the MM albums. Everyone has the same opportunity to post their opinion, so this is completely unfounded. There's not a contradiction between the poll results and the ranking results.

I'm interested to see the results. :tup At a quick guess, I'd estimate ADTOE would come in around 5/6, and DT12 around 7/8.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I think there's two reasons why people are more vocal:
1. They are simply the most recent albums. People are likely to have stronger feelings about them than decades-old albums
2. There was a bit of a "sobering up" period I think. With MM joining the ranks, I think a lot of people were hoping that DT would soar to new heights. When it turned out that they would continue the trajectory they were on before, I think people got vocal about their disappointment.

Offline erwinrafael

That's definitely true. What I'm talking about though is the thread that I posted a couple of weeks ago called "The Unofficial DTF Album Ranking Project," where everyone posted their album ranking. I see no reason to believe that thread won't result in an accurate calculation of the forum's opinion as it relates to those albums.

Just compare it with the results of the DT12 is... thread. That thread asked for a DT12 rating relative to other DT albums (options are _____ for a DT album. In that silent poll, the ranking is just slightly above average, so you would expect that it would be around 4-6. But if you go to the raning thread, I doubt if DT12 would even make the middle third. Most likely it would be around 8-10.

Yes, everybody is allowed to vote in the vocal posts, but there is also a social psychological effect of not wanting to have your post up for public scrutiny, especially if contrary opinions already dominate the thread from the onset.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:15:31 AM by erwinrafael »