Author Topic: Space-Dye Vest girl identity  (Read 17473 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Space-Dye Vest girl identity
« on: March 12, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
This is a quite disturbing topic I've been thinking about for quite a while... And it's about the girl that made this incredible song possible.
Who is the girl Kevin Moore was talking about in this so-depressive song?
I mean, it must not be THAT hard to find out who she is... I mean, a space-dye vest is not something that common... Think about these clothing magazines and find one published around these dates... Is it possible?
If someone has already said her identity... Then I'm not really aware of that. Clear my ignorance, please.
And if not, has anyone ever done research on this?
Have you ever wondered what picture did he see?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Cable

Re: Space-Dye Vest girl identity
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »
I have not heard either about the model.  :-\

I think she may be really hard to track down. I feel like KM made it sound like it was an ad for a SDV, and I do not think a database tracks those. Further, magazines are patchy to be archived, and even more so ads. This was also during print's heyday, so there could have been a lot.  Now if the person had a big modeling career, or did movies, it might be easier. But so many people may have flipped right by that ad, vs. someone looking at the cover art girl for I&W for example.

I always felt KM just had a random attachment to an ad that stuck, and most of the song is about his emotional state post break-up. The SDV was to me something that KM used to help write the lyrics, and evoke a mood. Based on what he said, the context around the SDV lyric line just note that he did have an affinity for an image.

KM is reserved in interviews at times, and at this point it might be like the "Your So Vain" song. Better to keep some mystery rather than say who it is.  :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:54:24 PM by CableX »
---

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:50:54 PM »
...this incredible song...

Well, see, that's where you go wrong right there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:52:01 PM »
I have not heard either about the model.  :-\

I think she may be really hard to track down. I feel like KM made it sound like it was an ad for a SDV, and I do not think a database tracks those. Further, magazines are patchy to be archived, and even more so ads. This was also during print's heyday, so there could have been a lot.  Now if the person had a big modeling career, or did movies, it might be easier. But so many people may have flipped right by that ad, vs. someone looking at the cover art girl for I&W for example.

I always felt KM just had a random attachment to an ad that stuck, and most of the song is about his emotional state post break-up. The SDV was to me something that KM used to help write the lyrics, and evoke a mood. Based on what he said, the context around the SDV lyric line just note that he did have an affinity for an image.
I have been searching actively images about "space-dye vests" (to call it somehow) and I have not found a model that wears something remotely similar... That's why I think It's not something thaat common
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 04:28:43 AM »
Apart from Kevin Moore himself, there is only one person in the world that may solve such a mystery... and that person is Milena.

@Darkstarshades (what a great nick! :eek): space-dyeing is actually a quite common technique for dyeing yarns, so the issue is that you may actually find too many space-dyed clothes! =) try to search "space-dye" on pinterest and you'll see it yourself!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:44:29 AM by The Stray Seed »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 05:54:57 AM »
I think the OP is heavily overestimating the internet of the year 1994. Keep in mind that Google didn't even exist yet in that year, the most popular engine (AltaVista) being long dead by now.
In fact, the first browser (Mosaic) was only a year old in 1994.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:30:13 AM »
I think the OP is heavily overestimating the internet of the year 1994. Keep in mind that Google didn't even exist yet in that year, the most popular engine (AltaVista) being long dead by now.
In fact, the first browser (Mosaic) was only a year old in 1994.
I don't get how am I overestimating the internet there?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
You were suggesting that the information was somehow retrievable from the internet. The internet in 1994 was minuscule, and barely anything from that era survived. Kevin paged through a (physical) clothing magazine of the year 1994. That magazine simply neither physically, nor electronically, exists at this point.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 07:37:12 AM »
You were suggesting that the information was somehow retrievable from the internet. The internet in 1994 was minuscule, and barely anything from that era survived. Kevin paged through a (physical) clothing magazine of the year 1994. That magazine simply neither physically, nor electronically, exists at this point.
Who knows? Never said the internet was the only source tho and I think you're right.
Maybe Kevin never met the girl not because he didn't want to, but because he didn't know how to, or he couldn't lol
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 07:37:29 AM »
Who knows? Never said the internet was the only source tho and I think you're right.
Maybe Kevin never met the girl not because he didn't want to, but because he didn't know how to, or he couldn't lol
Agg double post lol
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 07:44:10 AM »

I don't think there's too much to read into the woman herself. KM uses her as an example of his state of mind, where he was essentially on the rebound.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
Yeah, it doesn't matter who she really is.  He was reacting to the image.

I think it is much more important to you than it is to him. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
I'd love to see that picture.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »
I'm not interested in the Space-Dye Vest girl. I'm still taking in all that is the Images and Word cover girl all grown up.  :o

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »
It's not even about overestimating the internet, it's also about overestimating the social importance of fashion catalogues. My friend once did an ad in a department store catalogue for a fashion section, and not only was I unable to find it AT the store when I went there, around that time, but I think it's a safe bet, it's pretty much nonexistent outside of MAYBE some one guy's graphic design archives, which he probably has thousands of. She has never done any other modeling since.

Now, this was in 2001. Back in 1994, who even knows which store it was, which city. Remember, he was in a touring band by then, so they could've seen this ad in Japan, or Germany or England, or wherever. Finding that exact ad, or the girl who was in it is pretty much impossible. I doubt even KM would be able to track it down.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
It was probably this girl.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 08:41:51 AM »
I once read somewhere that the catalogue belonged to Lisa Martens Pace (JMX's gf, who would later become his wife), hence the line "Martens on angels", but I don't know whether that's true or just a rumor started by a fan.

But yeah, finding this catalogue is probably impossible now that it's been over 20 years...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »
I once read somewhere that the catalogue belonged to Lisa Martens Pace (JMX's gf, who would later become his wife), hence the line "Martens on angels", but I don't know whether that's true or just a rumor started by a fan.
I thought that line referred to Doc Martens shoes worn by females, presumably worn by this model.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »

But yeah, finding this catalogue is probably impossible now that it's been over 20 years...

I thought the "Martens on angels" was referencing the Doc Martens boots that one of the catalogue models were wearing?

edit: damnit Hef!   :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »
I just said that

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
Ah, I've never heard of those shoes so I didn't know. That makes more sense, actually.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »
It was probably this girl.

We all tried that...
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
Apart from Kevin Moore himself, there is only one person in the world that may solve such a mystery... and that person is Milena.
Ahahahaha :biggrin: I am very attached to this song and have unpacked it, and I don't think the identity of the model is that important, it's just a trigger for the song. It would be the same as trying to find out on which day it was raining raining on the streets of New York city. It doesn't really matter, the song is about something else entirely.

Besides, she would be impossible to find anyway; you'd have to track down all 1994 fashion catalogs printed in America and even then there would probably be many space-dyed vests to choose from, since it's a pretty popular dyeing technique.

Off topic, you've just reminded me of my unsuccessful quest for the perfect space-dyed sweater. It's a great look, but I can never find one I like in nearby stores.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:50 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's actually Milena herself. She was, currently is, or will be travelling back in time to wear a space dye vest for an obscure magazine shot. Classic predestination paradox. Thanks for making this song possible! :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 08:14:34 AM »
I thought that line referred to Doc Martens shoes worn by females, presumably worn by this model.

Huh.  I never even thought of that possibility.  I always thought it was a reference to models wearing fur coats.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's actually Milena herself. She was, currently is, or will be travelling back in time to wear a space dye vest for an obscure magazine shot. Classic predestination paradox. Thanks for making this song possible! :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

I would like to see that.   :zydar:

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »

Huh.  I never even thought of that possibility.  I always thought it was a reference to models wearing fur coats.

That's my interpretation as well.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:55 PM »
It would make more sense that the pages he is pouring through are filled with models in fur coats, not work boots.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »
Not in the grunge era.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 07:38:44 AM »
Boots AND furs

Take that, bitches

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
It would make more sense that the pages he is pouring through are filled with models in fur coats, not work boots.

They aren't workboots.  If you look at the lyrics in the Awake booklet, it's spelled Martens. Those are Doc Martens, worn by mostly grungy and rocker types during the 90s.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=745&q=doc+martens&oq=doc+martens&gs_l=img.3..0l10.439.1616.0.1751.11.8.0.3.3.0.70.447.8.8.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.64.img..0.11.467.rTUoAtxuqEQ

Online RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 08:10:20 PM »

They aren't workboots.  If you look at the lyrics in the Awake booklet, it's spelled Martens. Those are Doc Martens, worn by mostly grungy and rocker types during the 90s.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=745&q=doc+martens&oq=doc+martens&gs_l=img.3..0l10.439.1616.0.1751.11.8.0.3.3.0.70.447.8.8.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.64.img..0.11.467.rTUoAtxuqEQ

"Martens" is also the spelling of the trendy fur seen on high society women and models.   Who calls the boots just Martens? Docs, sure.  Its all too cerebral, so it makes more sense to me that it is a reference to a fur.   Sure, it could be boots, but it seems to be a simpler logical connection to fur.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Online RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 11:26:14 PM »
We should all wear a space dye vest for the next DTF meet-up.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 11:59:35 PM »
We should all wear a space dye vest for the next DTF meet-up.

And thus Virgins Anonymous was born. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.