Author Topic: The looking glass (lyrics interpretation )  (Read 8659 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: The looking glass (lyrics interpretation )
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
Sometimes it can be tough to tell the difference.

Another thing that is hard to tell is exactly WHO he was apologizing TO.

It seemed that his "apology" was directed more at YOU than me.

I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »
I think one reason why there is reasonably little substantial contribution to this thread in terms of lyrics interpretation, is because (disregarding the highly unlikely MP connection) the lyrics are a) really obvious and b) not really insightful.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2015, 06:10:13 PM »
While I would agree that maybe the lyrical theme of this song isn't the most original in the world, but for me, at least, it is an example of a song that almost seems to describe-at least in parts-a real life experience.

But other than that, I can kind of see your point.

I didn't even like the song all that much until after my friendship with the other guy ended. Then I took a look at the lyrics and thought "Wow! It's like it was written about him!"

Sometimes it's hard to find the right words to describe something that you've gone through and how you feel about it, but then a song or a poem or a story, or even something in a movie or tv show comes along, and really seems to NAIL it!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
Isn't this song just about people trying to get their "15 minutes of fame"?

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2015, 08:28:03 PM »
Exactly!

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
Or about people who had them, and try to get more out of those moments than what can be gotten, like Chaossystem's friend.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2015, 06:41:27 AM »
instead of talking shit about someone else to make yourself feel better about YOUR life!

This made me giggle. As much as I dislike your personality, it has some comedic value and it adds a little more spice around here (Not that we were lacking any, but.. the more the merrier right? :lol)

Not only does your comment make it seem like you're just trying to keep the argument and/or exchange of insults going on, but I would like to know what is so negative or off-putting about me trying to explain how the song compares to what I went through in a real-life situation.
That's not what he was talking about.  He was only talking about the specific passage that he quoted.

I thought it would make for some interesting conversation, but instead I get someone like you, who doesn't even KNOW me making smart-ass comments about my personality, and how a situation like that is only good for "comedy!"
Again, he's not taking about the situation you posted about, but that phrase that he quoted.  That's why that is the part that he quoted.

And by "personality" he is talking about your online personality, or the way you present yourself here on the forum.  Of course he doesn't know you; the only things any of us can know about you are what you post here, and more importantly, how you post it.

You seem to keep having these kinds of troubles.  I'm not really sure what the problem is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »
I'd like to clarify...I was in no way saying that Mr Chaossystem is or even looks like a fat guy in lycra.

My apology was to Hef for the trouble and to Chaossystem in case I caused any upset - which I did.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:04 PM »
My apology was to Hef for the trouble and to Chaossystem in case I caused any upset - which I did.
:tup  Thanks for the clarification.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »

Not only does your comment make it seem like you're just trying to keep the argument and/or exchange of insults going on, but I would like to know what is so negative or off-putting about me trying to explain how the song compares to what I went through in a real-life situation.

I thought it would make for some interesting conversation, but instead I get someone like you, who doesn't even KNOW me making smart-ass comments about my personality, and how a situation like that is only good for "comedy!"

I wasn't attacking your explanation of how the song relates to your real life experience at all. I quoted one part of one sentence that I thought was funny. Sheesh.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »
instead of talking shit about someone else to make yourself feel better about YOUR life!

This made me giggle. As much as I dislike your personality, it has some comedic value and it adds a little more spice around here (Not that we were lacking any, but.. the more the merrier right? :lol)

That's not what he was talking about.  He was only talking about the specific passage that he quoted.

Again, he's not taking about the situation you posted about, but that phrase that he quoted.  That's why that is the part that he quoted.

And by "personality" he is talking about your online personality, or the way you present yourself here on the forum.  Of course he doesn't know you; the only things any of us can know about you are what you post here, and more importantly, how you post it.

You seem to keep having these kinds of troubles.  I'm not really sure what the problem is.

I'm not sure either.

I know that when I first started on here I said a lot of things that were abrasive and negative about subjects such as rap, certain rock bands that I don't like, etc.

I have since backed off of some of those things. I think that after I was told that some of the things I said were out of line , I have at least TRIED to show some restraint, and to be more tactful and diplomatic.

I also don't think I ever insulted anyone on here or used any crude or vulgar language towards them unless they did it to me first, and I hate to keep having to say this over and over, but when it comes to people on here sniping and cursing at each other, and one person making rude and crude comments about another, I know it isn't just me. And yes, I ALSO know that it isn't always serious, that sometimes it's "all in fun," but there are OTHER times when I know it isn't JUST me who goes too far in the way I express myself, but some people seem to think that it IS just me.

I didn't think the idea for this thread was THAT bad, but apparently we ended up talking more about being unable to get along with one another because we couldn't generate enough interest in the actual topic.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:32 PM »

I'm not sure either.

I know that when I first started on here I said a lot of things that were abrasive and negative about subjects such as rap, certain rock bands that I don't like, etc.

I have since backed off of some of those things. I think that after I was told that some of the things I said were out of line , I have at least TRIED to show some restraint, and to be more tactful and diplomatic.

I also don't think I ever insulted anyone on here or used any crude or vulgar language towards them unless they did it to me first, and I hate to keep having to say this over and over, but when it comes to people on here sniping and cursing at each other, and one person making rude and crude comments about another, I know it isn't just me. And yes, I ALSO know that it isn't always serious, that sometimes it's "all in fun," but there are OTHER times when I know it isn't JUST me who goes too far in the way I express myself, but some people seem to think that it IS just me.

I didn't think the idea for this thread was THAT bad, but apparently we ended up talking more about being unable to get along with one another because we couldn't generate enough interest in the actual topic.

You mean the part where I accused him of trying to make himself look better by making me look worse?

I don't see how that would be a joke.

But I guess that would be your sense of humor.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2015, 04:02:58 PM »
I'd like to clarify...I was in no way saying that Mr Chaossystem is or even looks like a fat guy in lycra.

It's okay.

Maybe I made too much drama out of it as well.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
Yes.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »

It's okay.

Maybe I made too much drama out of it as well.

I didn't think it was possible for you to do that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2015, 03:39:53 AM »
My suggestion would be to loosen up.  And stop using so many WORDS in ALL CAPS.  And exclamation points!!!

And remember that 95% of the time, this place and the people here are in a good, relaxed, casual, fun-loving mood.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »
Kotowboy makes up the other 5% :neverusethis: