Author Topic: Labor Strike...week 6....  (Read 1025 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Labor Strike...week 6....
« on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:08 PM »
I've been in the labor force for 35 years now.  Suffice to say, I could have gone my whole career with out experiencing a Labor Strike.  My Union, the United Steel Workers, represents roughly 65% of the hourly Refinery regular work force in the United States. I've been a Union member in the Industry for 25 years now.  On Feb 1, after turning down the latest horrible offer from Shell Oil, the Union called on 9 US oil refineries to go on strike.  Mine was one off those 9.  We are now up to 15 refinery and chemical plants on strike.

The jist of the gripe we have has nothing to do with wages.  The Oil companies are trying to pull out contract language regarding retrogression and successorship.  If this language is pulled, the next company that swoops in to buy my refinery can basically lay us all off, and hire back who they want.  In doing this they can reduce pay and benefits significantly.  This exact scenario happened in the '90's to the refinery across the street from ours.  Tosco bought them after Shell was able to remove successorship language.  Tosco then laid off ALL the hourly employees and hired back those who had employee issues such as attendance, incured high medical costs on the company (Insurance), or just didn't brown nose the right managers.  In the last 15 years, my refinery has been owned by 3 companies, ARCO, British Petroleum, and now Tesoro.  That being said, it's obvious the worst case scenario can happen.  We can be sold, and all shit canned if the language in our contract is removed.

Other hotbed issues are the hiring of contractors to do maintenance and even Operations work to replace Represented employees who have retired or left the Refinery.  Off course they're able to do this utilizing lower pay scales and lower (if any) benefits.  It's obvious, to us, that the major corporations in the US just want to have a Board of Directors, and then sub-contract everyone else.  Extreme example?  Maybe, but it sure seems that way.  In the last 10-20 years we've seen Pensions virtually dissapear in the US workplace.  Health care being erroded down to crap, yet costing the employee more out of pocket.  It's a helluva lot cheaper for them to pay a sub $30 and hour instead of $40 an hour, medical, 401k, life insurance, etc...  Especially since the Oil companies don't make enough profit right now.... :facepalm:

The biggest issue with the replacement contractors, and contractors in general at our yard is predominantly safety.  I work on a daily basis with contractors.  I understand what they go through to stay employed.  As a Union represented employee I'm able to make overt strides, and even demands for safety when it's warranted against management.  The Contractors can not.  I've had contractors I know come to me with issues instead of going to their bosses for this exact reason.  Which Im 100% OK with for sure!! They're told they can report anything unsafe, but in reality If a contract employee complains about an unsafe practice, they're removed from the job.  I see the practice daily.  So Imagine if EVERY Crafts person and Process Operator was unable to bring up safety issues with out fear of losing their jobs?  Now, if it wasn't for us putting managements feet to the fire over safety, the accident, injury and fatality rates would probably be much higher.  There's also something to be said for skilled, experienced workers over non experienced.  For me, as a Process Operator, actually a Head Operator on my Unit, I know that it takes at least 3-5 years for an Operator to REALLY be of value to me.  If you constantly have a turnover in these jobs no one will ever learn the nuances of the Unit or plant and have their value to the company optimized.

Now, I've been Union for the last 25 years like I mentioned.  I've been on a negotiating committee before, and have a little practical Union knowledge and experience.  That being said, I wouldn't say I'm gung ho "Union".  I see pros and cons of labor Unions.  Right now though, those pros are shining through a bit more.  The realization that everything I have now, is because someone over the last 60 years or so has negotiated hard for it all.  That's something that non-represented folks don't have.  There's the rare case where a company will do the right thing and foster a healthy and profitable climate for their employees, but it's seemingly less and less these days.

We're 6 weeks into the strike, and we've had about 30 out of 800 in my plant cross the picket lines to become "Scabs".  I try to take into account that everyone's bills, family needs, savings, etc... are unique.  Some will have a harder time than others.  That being said, it chaps my hide a bit that those same people are going to receive the same contract and benefits we will get after the strike is resolved and a contract is in place.  They're getting a paycheck and medical benefits right now while the rest off us are not.  There are some things in life that you have to take a stand for.  For ME this is one of those times to stand firm.  While I only have 8 more years before retirement, I still want the security and ability to achieve that goal.  Funny.... a lot of the folks who have crossed the line are younger.  I see a LOT of shortsightedness in folks who are willing to give into the "Now" and not think off the next 20-30 years of their careers.  But, maybe they're OK being paid less with no company retirement or decent medical insurance.

If you read this far, thanks for listening to my rant.  I put this thread here because I don't go into the political threads.  If this needs to be moved there I understand, but I hope not :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Labor Strike...week 6....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:39:29 AM »
Well, I'm glad your Union is doing the right thing. I'm normally against them because here in my country their basically just corrupt people that try to get money out for themselves but it seems that's not the case there at all.
Regarding US companies trying to have the least personnel possible I have to agree with that, most of them either subcontract or are trying to offshore as much as they can (my company does that) so I don't know what will happen with US labour in the near future but it looks a bit grim....

Anyways, I hope you can hang in there and that the negotiations go your way on this one  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »
First off I'm gonna throw out that I think you're a swell guy and I don't much care for the oil companies, so I'm already predisposed to take your side on this. That said I'll take a devil's advocate stance here as it interests me.

The Oil companies are trying to pull out contract language regarding retrogression and successorship.  If this language is pulled, the next company that swoops in to buy my refinery can basically lay us all off, and hire back who they want.  In doing this they can reduce pay and benefits significantly.
Wouldn't that pretty much just make you the same as the vast majority of workers in America? I mean it sucks and if you can get some protection there then more power to you, but honestly, job security in this country is a wonderful myth.

While I'm certainly sympathetic to the safety concerns you raise, the sad truth is that whistle-blowers are no longer welcome here. Again, sounds like plenty of other American work forces where safety is only as important as the cost of mishap.

Overall my problems with unions have nothing to do with what you've got going on. Sounds like you understand the concerns and they're legitimate to you. As long as the USW represents your interests and not its own I've got no problem. It just also sounds like something of a leveling of the playing field. I hope you win but if you don't you're probably still better off than most.

As for the scabs, at least you're not Wil Clark; man, what a dick. More seriously, though, my old man was fired by Reagan in the PATCO strike of '81. That was then and your side has far less leverage now than they did, so I wouldn't consider the union to be bulletproof protection by any means. While I wouldn't be happy about scabs, I certainly wouldn't fault them if their needs take priority.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »
Well, I'm glad your Union is doing the right thing. I'm normally against them because here in my country their basically just corrupt people that try to get money out for themselves but it seems that's not the case there at all.
Regarding US companies trying to have the least personnel possible I have to agree with that, most of them either subcontract or are trying to offshore as much as they can (my company does that) so I don't know what will happen with US labour in the near future but it looks a bit grim....

Anyways, I hope you can hang in there and that the negotiations go your way on this one  :tup

Yeah, like I mentioned, I'm not gung ho Pro Union.  I'm happy for what I have in the way of a contract, pay, benefits, etc..  You're correct with the grim reality of US Labor.  We don't produce much anymore, and now we're even less service industry (Outsourcing). 

First off I'm gonna throw out that I think you're a swell guy and I don't much care for the oil companies, so I'm already predisposed to take your side on this. That said I'll take a devil's advocate stance here as it interests me.

The Oil companies are trying to pull out contract language regarding retrogression and successorship.  If this language is pulled, the next company that swoops in to buy my refinery can basically lay us all off, and hire back who they want.  In doing this they can reduce pay and benefits significantly.
Wouldn't that pretty much just make you the same as the vast majority of workers in America? I mean it sucks and if you can get some protection there then more power to you, but honestly, job security in this country is a wonderful myth.

While I'm certainly sympathetic to the safety concerns you raise, the sad truth is that whistle-blowers are no longer welcome here. Again, sounds like plenty of other American work forces where safety is only as important as the cost of mishap.

Overall my problems with unions have nothing to do with what you've got going on. Sounds like you understand the concerns and they're legitimate to you. As long as the USW represents your interests and not its own I've got no problem. It just also sounds like something of a leveling of the playing field. I hope you win but if you don't you're probably still better off than most.

As for the scabs, at least you're not Wil Clark; man, what a dick. More seriously, though, my old man was fired by Reagan in the PATCO strike of '81. That was then and your side has far less leverage now than they did, so I wouldn't consider the union to be bulletproof protection by any means. While I wouldn't be happy about scabs, I certainly wouldn't fault them if their needs take priority.

I don't know if I'd classify daily job specific safety awareness as "Whistle blowing" .  Whistle blowing to me would me taking safety violations witnessed by me against the company and taking them to OSHA, AQMD, or other government or regulatory organizations.  I understand what you mean though, but in our industry, on our level, safety HAS to be critical.  We all want to go home intact everyday.

As far as the Union serving our needs solely, I can only hope that they are acting in our best interest...PERIOD.  That being said, I'd like to think I'm not naive to the fact that the National Union surely has an agenda.  Hopefully...the 2 are one in the same, time will tell!  As far as a "Bulletproof" Union, you are 1000% correct.  Our strength and standing is so erroded since the heydays of the unions in the 50's-70's.  Everyone knows that a strike in today's culture and climate is a horrible notion.  Unfortunately, this issue must be fought for.  As far as leveling the playing field as you say, I don't subscribe to that thinking, Brother.  Do I understand that I have it better than a lot of folks?  Absofrikkenlutely!  Does that mean I want to lose my pension?  401K? Paid vacation?  Decent healthcare?  No Sir!!!!  I think the question should be more like..."Why aren't these mega corporations fostering a secure prosperous workplace as reward for loyal employees who help the corporation make record profits?"  I believe the outlook of every worker, in every country, should be to RAISE all up to the higher level of job profitability, not the other way around.

As far as the scabs,  I'll try to take it all into perspective.  But..... when someone crosses the line after 2 weeks?  I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.  We are career employees with families and would HOPE that you have financial contingency plans for ANYTHING.  I know I do, as do the majority off my co-workers that I've talked to.  I know one guy who crossed from my unit... and I know he's financially secure.  He owns 2 homes outright, single, and he lasted I think 3 weeks.  So for me, who is going through my tax return, then into my 401k, looking for govt. assistance that might help and whatever other means I have available, I have little sympathy for someone who just gripes about everything all the time and then when the time comes refuses to take a stand with his Brothers and Sisters over a matter so serious to our careers.  Like I mentioned, these folks are going to get the same contract we are....only difference is they're willing to let someone else take the financial hardship for them.  Of course there will be exceptions, and bottom line is yes...you have to feed and clothe your family.  What I'm seeing so far is folks crossing who do NOT fall into that desperate category, and that is just wrong IMHO. 

Sorry if I'm on a rant, and I truly appreciate your guys support!  Thank you! ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 02:11:32 PM »
Good luck with everything Greg, must be tough and worrisome.  Ive never been in a union so Im not sure I can comment accurately on anything, but you got to fight for your rights!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »
As far as leveling the playing field as you say, I don't subscribe to that thinking, Brother.  Do I understand that I have it better than a lot of folks?  Absofrikkenlutely!  Does that mean I want to lose my pension?  401K? Paid vacation?  Decent healthcare?  No Sir!!!!  I think the question should be more like..."Why aren't these mega corporations fostering a secure prosperous workplace as reward for loyal employees who help the corporation make record profits?"  I believe the outlook of every worker, in every country, should be to RAISE all up to the higher level of job profitability, not the other way around.

I'm on your side in all of that. I'm just also cynical enough to recognize that's not the country we currently reside in.

As far as the scabs,  I'll try to take it all into perspective.  But..... when someone crosses the line after 2 weeks?  I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.  We are career employees with families and would HOPE that you have financial contingency plans for ANYTHING.  I know I do, as do the majority off my co-workers that I've talked to.  I know one guy who crossed from my unit... and I know he's financially secure.  He owns 2 homes outright, single, and he lasted I think 3 weeks.  So for me, who is going through my tax return, then into my 401k, looking for govt. assistance that might help and whatever other means I have available, I have little sympathy for someone who just gripes about everything all the time and then when the time comes refuses to take a stand with his Brothers and Sisters over a matter so serious to our careers.  Like I mentioned, these folks are going to get the same contract we are....only difference is they're willing to let someone else take the financial hardship for them.  Of course there will be exceptions, and bottom line is yes...you have to feed and clothe your family.  What I'm seeing so far is folks crossing who do NOT fall into that desperate category, and that is just wrong IMHO. 
Perhaps they just disagree with your position. Or, perhaps they're risk-averse. Maybe they know something you don't. Could be that their mother was killed by teamsters. Point is I wouldn't necessarily assume they're freeloading off of your stand, even if that is a possible outcome.

Interesting allegory. I spent many weekends swimming in the pool of some of my father's dearest friends who were also ATC. They took the scab root. I don't recall anybody taking it personally. My old man got shit-canned and they kept their jobs. He's pretty clear that they made the right call and that he was wrong. In 2009 the wife resigned ( I think the husband had retired many years earlier). Seems that years of being a whistlblower were a waste of time and not worth the constant annoyance of retaliation. All of her safety claims were proven correct, but it took a decade for them to make any changes (which appear rather superficial) and they did everything they could to make her life miserable during that time. I have to wonder if she regretted not having any union protection during the last 10 years of her career.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson