Author Topic: Plini 'The End of Everything' Hype Thread  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Shine

Plini 'The End of Everything' Hype Thread
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »
Plini is one of my favorite new musicians, and his 3rd EP, capping off the trilogy started with 'Other Things' and 'Sweet Nothings', is coming out tomorrow!

If you've never heard of him, here's a 2 minute taster, 'KO KI': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZUdXcfI0jo

Here are youtube links to his two previous EPs:
Other Things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wQs58Rl3DY
Sweet Nothings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywlWkkNl19U

And a link to his band camp page: https://plini.bandcamp.com

Seriously check this guy out and join me in getting hyped for his new album.

PS: The new EP features Marco Minnemann on drums.
lake of fire

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Plini 'The End of Everything' Hype Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:59:42 AM »
Ko Ki isn't a taster from the EP, it was another of his standalone singles. On the whole I haven't found those that interesting, whereas his first 2 EPs are excellent. It's rare that I like instrumental rock that much, but Plini creates such gorgeous vibes with his music!

Looking forward to the new one.

Favourite track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fNhD_lP1F4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:04:20 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shine

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 06:21:58 AM »
Of course, I didn't mean to imply that KO KI was from the new EP, just that it was a good way for someone who had not heard of Plini to get a taste of what he sounds like.
lake of fire

Offline adace

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
The new EP is amazing, probably my favorite of the three. Really hope he puts out a full-length soon.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 02:39:28 PM »
Yesterday the bandcamp page was saying it would be released tomorrow, but of course in Australia it is already tomorrow! :lol

Just bought it, downloading now. :hat

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 04:57:59 PM »
So, here's my review for Lady Obscure Music Mag: https://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/plini-the-end-of-everything-ep/

Long story short: I really really like it. Probably roughly on a par with Other Things, which I also really love.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »
Nice review! I'll have to give this one a shot.

Offline Polis

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
Great artist, found him accidentally from clicking a recommended video on youtube. You guys should check out his friend who is also a solo guitarist, Sithu Aye. A lot more aggressive than Plini, sort of like DT, very killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTMM_R1-oY

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline Shine

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
Great artist, found him accidentally from clicking a recommended video on youtube. You guys should check out his friend who is also a solo guitarist, Sithu Aye. A lot more aggressive than Plini, sort of like DT, very killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTMM_R1-oY

You should also check out this collab EP between Sithu Aye and Plini.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8waJzs9iDKM
lake of fire

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
Bump. This guy is amazing! I went to see Animals as Leaders last month and Plini was playing too but I wasn't familiar with him. I was floating away on fluffy clouds during his set. He really likes the happy stuff and his melodies and phrasing are just sublime. My favorite track has to be this one. The part with the choir is just pure 100% good vibes. https://youtu.be/RggRFyVUiZA
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »
Was it the Patronaat Haarlem gig? I wanted to see Plini so bad but I dislike AAL so decided not to go. Also, Patronaat is pretty much next to my new house :lol

So hyped for the new album btw, the single is really fucking good.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
Randomly bumping this thread. I was at my rock gym today, climbing happily, when they put Plini on! I had no idea what it is, so I had to check at the front desk. Good stuff.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 07:00:53 AM »
Plini new album out today

https://plini.bandcamp.com/

Offline HOF

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »
I enjoy Plini’s music but never bought any of it. Should probably do that!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 08:17:49 AM »
Fun Fact:  Plini was an un-heard-of guitarist back around 2009/2010 timeframe and we were both members at the old Mike Portnoy forum.  Plini used to ask the members of that forum to give him "feelings" to express on the guitar and so someone would post "Anxious" and I'll be damned if the dude didn't pull it off.  He would play and it would literally sound exactly like the feeling someone had mentioned.  When someone posted something like "angry, but funny" and he did it again that was when I decided to invite him to play lead guitar on the first album from The ANABASIS.

For the epic track "Vikings" I asked him to express "rage" and "hostility" and he really did a great job.  In terms of sheer technicality there are very few players who approach his level.   

I had considered having him back on our new album, but I wanted to work with Brick Williams from Hourglass on this album and once I heard Brick's solos for these songs the decision was made.  But I will definitely work with Plini again in the future, if he'll return my emails, that is  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 08:51:00 AM »
Fun Fact:  Plini was an un-heard-of guitarist back around 2009/2010 timeframe and we were both members at the old Mike Portnoy forum.  Plini used to ask the members of that forum to give him "feelings" to express on the guitar and so someone would post "Anxious" and I'll be damned if the dude didn't pull it off.  He would play and it would literally sound exactly like the feeling someone had mentioned.  When someone posted something like "angry, but funny" and he did it again that was when I decided to invite him to play lead guitar on the first album from The ANABASIS.

For the epic track "Vikings" I asked him to express "rage" and "hostility" and he really did a great job.  In terms of sheer technicality there are very few players who approach his level.   

I had considered having him back on our new album, but I wanted to work with Brick Williams from Hourglass on this album and once I heard Brick's solos for these songs the decision was made.  But I will definitely work with Plini again in the future, if he'll return my emails, that is  :lol

I remember hearing about him from the MP Forum but did not realize he was once a member. Or maybe I just forgot! Cool either way.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
Fantastic musician, amazing album. The way he blends al these different styles together is just inimitable.
I've heard this album four times today and every time after it's finished I wanted to push the repeat button.
Yes, it's technical but above all I feel his music and it makes me smile. What a unique talent.

Can't wait to see him live again.

Offline HOF

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 05:53:53 PM »
Here’s an article by Plini talking a little about the MP and JP forums and the role they played in building his fan base:

https://theindustryobserver.thebrag.com/how-i-gained-1-million-streams-in-60-hrs/

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 07:09:53 PM »

I remember hearing about him from the MP Forum but did not realize he was once a member. Or maybe I just forgot! Cool either way.
I remember having a great time interacting with him back on the MP forum.

I still have those songs he made with ideas from MP forum called The Gift (I think there were 3 in total) and listen to them regularly. Super talented dude.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline roa71

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 05:56:07 PM »
Check out my recent interview with Plini on Sonic Perspectives where we discuss his new album among other things.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-plini

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 09:30:23 AM »
I listened to Impulse Voices a few times when it was released in late 2020. For whatever reason, it didn't grab me back then. Today I listened to it for the first time again since then and it hit me hard :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2022, 09:47:22 AM »
I'm hoping for a similar experience at some point.  I love his earlier work, but IV hasn't connected with me yet.  I don't know if it just needs more plays, or possibly I was burned out on the style from listening to it heavily the few years before that.  Intervals' release the same year and Sithu Aye's from last year had similar issues for me, for example. 

He really likes the happy stuff and his melodies and phrasing are just sublime.

I've heard this sentiment a number of times before, and it always slightly confuses me.  His sound definitely isn't dark, like a lot of music I like is, but the vibe I get from Plini's music is often more of melancholic nostalgia than anything.  There is a lot of other music I would far sooner describe as "happy" that is brighter and more direct-sounding, with far fewer minor chords and complex harmonies. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 09:57:54 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »