Poll

Which one do you like better?

Burning My Kitchen
24 (40%)
New Millennium
36 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Burning My Soul (Original '96 w/ Hell's Kitchen) vs. New Millennium  (Read 3401 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
A quick question. I found myself listening to both songs after a long time, and perhaps not too surprisingly, as I am not the biggest fan of NM, found myself enjoying the original BMS/H'sK mashup way more than New Millennium.

I also think, as much as I love H'sK (my 2nd favourite DT instrumental), I believe Burning My Kitchen, as I usually jokingly refer to the original composition, is a great song that wouldn't have been by any mean out of place, quality wise, in the eventual album.

So, what does the vox populi have to say about this strikingly immaterial issue?  :azn:

FOR REFERENCE: BTS~H'sK '97 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG7R-tVIw9Q
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:49:54 AM by wasteland »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Burning My Soul (Original '96 w/ Hell's Kitchen) vs. New Millennium
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 04:45:58 AM »
I was never a big Burning My Soul fan, though I do like Hell's Kitchen on it's own. It's not my favorite DT instrumental though. I'm going with NM.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 04:46:04 AM »
Like most changes from the demos, I think the changes made to BMS were for the better. I really like BMS and HK, but they didn't flow together as a whole, so I prefer them individually. And I love NM as is, so that gets my vote.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:53:12 AM »
BMK

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
I was never a big Burning My Soul fan, though I do like Hell's Kitchen on it's own. It's not my favorite DT instrumental though. I'm going with NM.
This

Like most changes from the demos, I think the changes made to BMS were for the better. I really like BMS and HK, but they didn't flow together as a whole, so I prefer them individually. And I love NM as is, so that gets my vote.
And most of this
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 06:32:25 AM »

This exactly.

And the intro of BMS is maybe the badassest intro ever.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 07:30:02 AM »
Burning My Kitchen (what an awesome title! :lol)

Hell's Kitchen is one of DT's greatest instrumentals, and BMS is alright. While they don't flow together that well, the combo still beats the crap out of New Millennium, which I've never really liked apart from the intro.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
Burning My Kitchen (what an awesome title! :lol)

Hell's Kitchen is one of DT's greatest instrumentals, and BMS is alright. While they don't flow together that well, the combo still beats the crap out of New Millennium, which I've never really liked apart from the intro.

Exactly! The intro is all kind of awesome, what comes after that... Not so much. :/
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »
Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen

New Millennium is an OK song, but nothing special, IMO. Same is true of BMS on FII, but the instrumental break (that later became HK) elevates it. I might be biased since this was the original version of BMS that I became familiar with, listening to boots from the Fix for 96 shows long before FII was ever released. But then again, perhaps it's everyone else who heard BMS first on FII that is biased against it!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 09:11:34 AM »
Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen

New Millennium is an OK song, but nothing special, IMO. Same is true of BMS on FII, but the instrumental break (that later became HK) elevates it. I might be biased since this was the original version of BMS that I became familiar with, listening to boots from the Fix for 96 shows long before FII was ever released. But then again, perhaps it's everyone else who heard BMS first on FII that is biased against it!   :biggrin:

That's exactly the same with me. I became familiar with the demo songs first and really took to those versions first. ESPECIALLY Take Away My Pain!  However I love the groove of New Millennium plus the Chapman stick is awesome.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »
I don't like Burning My Soul, Hell's Kitchen, or New Millennium all that much but I have said a few times on these forums that BMS and HK work much better together than apart so my vote goes to Burning My Kitchen.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »
Hmm.. Tricky. The choice didn't come instantly for me because the original arrangement of BMS is far superior to the butchered cut and paste job they did on the album. I think a lot of people can agree that BMS while not that bad, is one of the relatively weak 'rockers' (especially on it's own) and I just think it takes it up a notch with these added sections and the interlude between the first 2 verses as opposed to an extra unnecessary chorus. It flows better and feels more complete.

That beings said, New Millennium is one of my favourite songs so... I could hardly dismiss it just because BMSw/HK is a tiny bit better than the original. So NM it is. :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »
How about . . .

New Kitchen  :hat   :coolio

I like New Millennium a lot. It sounds like it could fit quite easily on Octavarium.  But I also love Hell's Kitchen. One of DT's better instrumentals.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »
Burning My Soul '96 is DT's opposite day song, as in a heavy song with a mellow instrumental section. I prefer Hell's Kitchen on its own, but I recently listened to BMS '96 and it wasn't that bad.

New Millennium took a while to click, but I like it. The groovy instrumental section is my favorite part of the song.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 03:39:39 AM »
To be honest, I was expecting the poll to be quite a bit more lopsided than how it's turning out to be!
- Marco

Calvin6s

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 07:31:58 AM »
Big fan of Hell's Kitchen.  Not so hot on Burning My Soul.  So putting Hell's Kitchen back into BMS just ruins a perfectly good song.  New Millennium isn't one of my faves either.  Lines, Tears, Hell and Peruvian is what that album is about for me.

Calvin6s

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
Add Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden as an option

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 07:48:03 AM »
I really like New Millennium.
Never liked BMS, while Hell's Kitchen is my favourite DT instrumental but definitely out of its original allocation.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:35 PM »
Add Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden as an option

I was thinking about that song earlier. 

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 11:07:46 AM »
Burning My Soul is one of my least favorite songs of all time, not limited to DT. I really like New Millennium, so it's a really easy choice.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
BMS and HK are both fine separately as album tracks.  NM is better than the combined demo version.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 04:43:04 PM »
New Millennium!!!! It's just awesome, and it has my favorite DT headbanging moment!!!!!!!

LIES TEN FEET TALL
HAVE BROKEN MY FALL
WELCOME TO A NEW MILLENNIUM!!!!!!!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »
BMS, I love the intro, and how they reprise it as the instrumental. I enjoy when james sings "Burning my..." then it shifts.

Although I do prefer Hells Kitchens outro, it's better on L@B. They should bust this out next tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 12:04:50 PM »
BMS is pretty good and HK is a great instrumental, and I enjoy the combination of both, but I've actually come to really enjoy NM. So it gets my vote.

Offline Cable

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 10:19:40 PM »
Hell's Kitchen is so great by itself. Also, what was added to it actually makes the song. The unison before the ending is incredible, and the ending is the best ending of all their instrumentals IMO. The HK part that is in the 96 version is not only out of place, but it is short relatively compared to their later career, and not super melodic. More akin to Trial of Tears instrumental, but that has a cool riff at least. I think if they started with the JP shred part, then switch to the atmospheric part it could have been better. But still knowing what HK turned into, I would not save it.

However, the parts and order of the final BMS work better on the demo.

New Millennium is the song that got me into the band, so I'm biased with it.
---

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 09:45:37 PM »
I choose Burning My Kitchen but just because I'm not really fond of New Millennium. I actually prefer Bahrningmahsawl apart from the greatness that is Hell's Kitchen.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 05:07:54 AM »
Hell's Kitchen is so great by itself. Also, what was added to it actually makes the song. The unison before the ending is incredible, and the ending is the best ending of all their instrumentals IMO.
Exactly
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.