Author Topic: Anyone know about this show?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Gyovanne

Anyone know about this show?
« on: March 03, 2015, 05:17:45 PM »
Anyone know about this show? Setlist, Date, Venue, City and Country... anything ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjuFgIN6vQg

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Anyone know about this show?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
Hmm, not sure.  The only time I know of John and Mike playing it was one the G3 tour, but that is not what this is from.  Hard to tell for sure from the video quality, but that appears to be Awake era.  And Mike says it is not a DT show.  Other than that, which is not very helpful, I am not sure what to say.  Let me do some digging.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
No clue as to the location, venue, date or anything like that. However, I remember that there was a summer (95? 96?) that JP and MP did a series of guitar and drum clinics together, and IIRC, did a jam with a local bassist at some point as well. I can't help but think that this must be one of those clinics. Especially judging by MP's comments at the beginning "this isn't a Dream Theater show."
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:50:36 AM »
Yeah, good call, Scotty.  I asked John and he said he thinks it is from a Tama and Ibanez clinic he and Mike did in Italy "a long time ago."  So there you have it.  That's about as specific as I think we are going to get unless either the fan that recorded it or Mike Portnoy might be able to supply further details.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gyovanne

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:33:03 PM »
hi bosk1,

Seriously you have contact with the Petrucci? Anyway, thank you for the information that it is a footage in Italy. Probably 95 or 96 correct?

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
hi bosk1,

Seriously you have contact with the Petrucci? Anyway, thank you for the information that it is a footage in Italy. Probably 95 or 96 correct?
It's actually Petrucci that has contact with bosk  :yarr

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 07:58:40 AM »
hi bosk1,

Seriously you have contact with the Petrucci?
Interesting euphamism.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
hi bosk1,

Seriously you have contact with the Petrucci?

Yes. 

He couldn't remember exactly when it was, but the timeframe you mentioned seems correct.  John was still playing Ibanez, so it could not be much later than that.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »
I made a little research using the data scotty deduced (I would have said 95/96 myself, judging from the lateral spread of MP's mane! :lol ) and I found this:

https://www.boottrader.net/bootinfo.php?id=1632

It was indeed 96, March 10th to be precise, and it was a joint drum&guitar clinic, like John said, that took place in Brussels, Belgium!

I wonder if anybody has that show. I know I don't, but I may have seen it floating around in my earliest days on the hub and failed to grab it while I could.

ETA: Interesting thing, this is probably the earliest recorded performance (if not the absolute earliest) of Raise The Knife as a completed song. A good part of it was performed instrumentally in the Summer 1995 shows as a jam with the working/stage name "Showdown", but here it figures as Raise The Knife. Not sure if at this point the song was still in its "Showdown" stage or if it had already progressed to Raise The Knife, as I don't have the recording to check it out, but knowing that RTK was IIRC the first song to be completed in the FII writing session, it seems a real possibility that this performance was indeed the premiere of the song. Which is a mildly interesting fact, despite the fact that I don't quite care for the song  :lol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:50:56 AM by wasteland »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline keys76

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
Almost got it right.
This footage was shot during the ibanez/tama clinic in Den Bosch, Holland on March 19, 1996.
The bass player introduced by Mike is Ivo Severijns, a well known dutch bass player.

Jeroen

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »
That boot would be killer if anyone can track it down.

Somewhere on cassette I have a complete version of Raise the Knife performed live as an instrumental sometime in 1995.  No idea of show or date.  No drum solo, so it can't be from this performance.  When I happened across it in 97 it was labeled as Raise the Knife, so whoever released it must have known the official song title somehow.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »
Interesting thing, this is probably the earliest recorded performance (if not the absolute earliest) of Raise The Knife as a completed song. A good part of it was performed instrumentally in the Summer 1995 shows as a jam with the working/stage name "Showdown", but here it figures as Raise The Knife. Not sure if at this point the song was still in its "Showdown" stage or if it had already progressed to Raise The Knife, as I don't have the recording to check it out, but knowing that RTK was IIRC the first song to be completed in the FII writing session, it seems a real possibility that this performance was indeed the premiere of the song. Which is a mildly interesting fact, despite the fact that I don't quite care for the song  :lol
Well, if it's instrumental, really it's not the complete song, but I know what you're saying.  ;)  By this time, I'm pretty certain that the lyrics to it were written so that it was indeed RtK and no longer known by the working title Showdown. And yeah, these clinics were the first time any of the FII-era material was aired in a public setting, aside from the instrumental excerpt that was used to set up CiaW at those 2 US summer shows in 1995.

It was in fact the first song that was completed for the FII writing sessions, and in fact, they had originally considered putting RtK and another track (probably WAYN, the second track they completed) on the ACoS EP, but opted instead to do the tracks from the Uncovered gig instead and save them for their next album. In hindsight, I wish they would've released those 2 tracks on ACoS and saved the entire Uncovered gig for an official bootleg.

Somewhere on cassette I have a complete version of Raise the Knife performed live as an instrumental sometime in 1995.  No idea of show or date. 
Well, if it's from 1995, then it was either this show
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=298
or this one
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=299
and it was only an excerpt that went right into CiaW. If it's a soundboard recording, then it's most likely the 1995/06/13 Lido Beach show. If it's the entire song sans lyrics, then it's not from 1995.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:20:57 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
I made a little research using the data scotty deduced (I would have said 95/96 myself, judging from the lateral spread of MP's mane! :lol ) and I found this:

https://www.boottrader.net/bootinfo.php?id=1632

It was indeed 96, March 10th to be precise, and it was a joint drum&guitar clinic, like John said, that took place in Brussels, Belgium!

I wonder if anybody has that show. I know I don't, but I may have seen it floating around in my earliest days on the hub and failed to grab it while I could.

ETA: Interesting thing, this is probably the earliest recorded performance (if not the absolute earliest) of Raise The Knife as a completed song. A good part of it was performed instrumentally in the Summer 1995 shows as a jam with the working/stage name "Showdown", but here it figures as Raise The Knife. Not sure if at this point the song was still in its "Showdown" stage or if it had already progressed to Raise The Knife, as I don't have the recording to check it out, but knowing that RTK was IIRC the first song to be completed in the FII writing session, it seems a real possibility that this performance was indeed the premiere of the song. Which is a mildly interesting fact, despite the fact that I don't quite care for the song  :lol

Nice work!  I'd have said 95 or 96 too.  It's pretty cool (or pretty creepy) that we can date these things based on hair styles and styles of clothing and such.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
Nice work!  I'd have said 95 or 96 too.  It's pretty cool (or pretty creepy) that we can date these things based on hair styles and styles of clothing and such.

Well, that's because their looks have changed quite radically throughout the times! I doubt many could pinpoint the year of a show from a single snapshot of JM's face/hair/clothes. Actually, examining JM's outfit you could deduce if the show was pre or post 93, the year when he decided to make a bonfire out of all his clothes that weren't black  :lol
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »
Somewhere on cassette I have a complete version of Raise the Knife performed live as an instrumental sometime in 1995.  No idea of show or date. 
or this one
and it was only an excerpt that went right into CiaW. If it's a soundboard recording, then it's most likely the 1995/06/13 Lido Beach show. If it's the entire song sans lyrics, then it's not from 1995.

I was at both of those shows and I definitely remember it just being a short piece, not the full song. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Anyone attended this one? https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=323

It featured an extended improvised outro to Learning To Live, the stuff of which dreams are made of.  :hefdaddy
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »
Anyone attended this one? https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=323

It featured an extended improvised outro to Learning To Live, the stuff of which dreams are made of.  :hefdaddy

Yep, I was there. I was at two of those HftH shows. 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 03:41:41 AM »
or this one
[/quote]

I think the recording I have might be from a listening party or something.  It sounds like the studio instrumental version, but the crowd definitely can be heard in the remaining wisps of the song, followed by applause.  But the crowd is quiet during the actual track, as if to be attentively listening.  I dunno.