Author Topic: Black Clouds & Silver Linings, almost 6 Years Later  (Read 15924 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Black Clouds & Silver Linings, almost 6 Years Later
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 04:16:46 PM »
It's a mild improvement over the train wreck of Systematic Chaos.   But it was becoming pretty obvious that DT were in a low point creatively.    I don't like the way it shook out...but the improvement after these two albums was so quick and drastic, that it was pretty obvious that it needed to happen.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 08:31:35 AM »
We appear to be at an impasse.

I'm afraid so -- I can't compete with you physically. And you're no match for my brains.
Alright, we'll call it a draw.

*shamelessly switches movies completely*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 09:16:41 AM »
I really like the album. One of my favorite DT albums.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 07:36:08 PM »
I hope no one minds, but I am going to include some opinions about the bonus discs in my "review."

To begin with, the COVERS:

I didn't like the Queen or Zebra covers.

The two instrumental pieces are very good.
I am a long-time fan of the Dregs.
Not so much of King Crimson, but I still enjoy this version of "Larks."
However, I think it would have been interesting to hear what would have happened if the band had had to depend entirely on themselves to work out an arrangement for these tracks, without the guest musician or musicians.

The Maiden cover wasn't NEARLY as good as the original, but it is at least passable.

One of my favorite tracks on ANY of these discs is the new version of Stargazer. I loved the original, and this version is only not as good by a hair.

Now on to the main disc and the instrumental versions:

My ranking of these songs is probably going to piss some people off, because for the most part, it's in reverse of everybody's preferences.

I am also going to count them down in reverse-

6) The Best of Times: Easily the WEAKEST song on the album, and one of the weakest songs the band has EVER done. The instrumental version is SOMEWHAT listenable, but it is VERY repetitious, and for some asshole reason they edited out the guitar solo at the end, which was very FRUSTRATING for me!

5) Wither: Too "gloomy-doomy-depressing." But I like the instrumental version. It's a nice little piece of music that I like hearing once in a while.

I would also like to mention that it doesn't BOTHER me all that much if an album doesn't have more than three or four songs on it that I like. It still makes it worth getting and keeping. This album has FOUR original songs that I like, but those four songs by themselves are MORE than long enough to make up the average-length album by the "average band."

4) The Count of Tuscany: Of the four "good" songs, I think this one is the weakest. Not terrible, but could have been better. Somewhat over-rated. There ARE things about it that I like. Nice little Rush tribute. Sections that definitely ROCK! But for one thing, the story leaves some unanswered questions. Were the "soldiers" POISENED by the wine? Or were they drowned in the wine BARRELS? What HAPPENED? Oh well, at least Petrucci got out alive to tell about it...

3) A Nightmare to Remember: This one I still listen to all the time. One of their most UNDER-rated songs, I think. I could be wrong, but I think most people on here pretty much ignore or overlook this song, and a few (maybe MORE than a few) even seem to HATE it. I know I've been using this term a LOT, but I STILL have to say that musically it ROCKS, and it has a lot of interesting-and sometimes disturbing-lyrical imagery.

2) The Shattered Fortress: Not the BEST part of "12-Step," but a decent wrap-up. It doesn't bother me that MUCH that they used bits and pieces of music and lyrics from the other four songs. I think they pretty much HAD to, because that was the intent of the piece: to remind us of what we need to remember, just like the person in AA is supposed to be reminded to "keep the steps." Good message, and EASILY the second-best song on the album.

1) A rite of Passage: I Know! I know! THIS is the one that's REALLY going to piss everybody OFF! I may be the ONLY one who thinks that this is one of their BEST songs EVER! I DO agree about the "be-bot" thing, it could and should have been quite a bit shorter, but otherwise I LOVE the instrumentation on this song, and that it has a very singable chorus, as well as some really thought-provoking verses.

So overall, I would have to say that the album is better than most people give it credit for being, ESPECIALLY songs 3, 2, & 1 on my list...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:18:21 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »
The Count of Tuscany: Of the four "good" songs, I think this one is the weakest. Not terrible, but could have been better. Somewhat over-rated. There ARE things about that I like. Nice little Rush tribute.

Just snipped up your post to respond to a few points.  :D You know I never noticed that, but after the intro, that second section when the band comes in has Rush written all over it. Nice observation.

The Shattered Fortress: Not the BEST part of "12-Step," but a decent wrap-up. It doesn't bother me that MUCH that they used bits and pieces of music and lyrics from the other four songs. I think they pretty much HAD to, because that was the intent of the piece

Completely agree. Even though I heard TSF before the rest of the 12SS songs (which was actually quite interesting to go back and discover the original parts). In any case, I think it would always have been the intent to wrap it up with some familiar highlights from the other songs. If it was something completely new, it wouldn't surprise me if people would have complained that it didn't fit in with the rest of the songs and claim the whole structure of the suite is incoherent. I'm sure some people think this anyway, but for me the reprisals are one of the best parts of TSF.

A rite of Passage: I Know! I know! THIS is the one that's REALLY going to piss everybody OFF! I may be the ONLY one who thinks that this is one of their BEST songs EVER!

Haha, well you're not the only one but we may in quite a minority. Top 10 songs for me.  :metal

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 10:05:18 PM »
BC&SL is, at least for me, the most depressing and darkest DT album written.
I mean, don't get me wrong, Scenes is also heavily dark and depressing but, after all, it's fiction.
What this album has is that it's real, and its stuff is about things that actually happened to Petrucci and Portnoy (Except for A Rite of Passage, which I consider to be a little out of place, although not a bad song).

Let's analyze the songs.
A Nightmare to Remember: The darkest one here, and talks about a tragedy, which even though it was not THAT severe (since nobody died and apparently nobody had permanent physical injuries), from a child's point of view, it's an horrific experience. Imagine looking at your family in such a terrible situation, moaning and calling for help or, even worse, not saying anything and then experiencing the incredibly frustrating sensation of not being able to help anyone while you are being treated and also, unaware of their current status!
A Rite of Passage: This one I have not heard it that much, but as far as the lyrics concern, it's one of DT's most interesting lyrical approach. I mean, don't judge me, but when I first heard it I thought of the Illuminati almost instantly, and it offers a pretty good atmosphere about secret organizations dealing with the initiation of its members. (Keep in mind I could be wrong about this one, since I'm not a great fan of it, just giving my opinion with the lyrics)
Wither: This one is quite relaxing, awesome, but also very depressing. It's basically John Petrucci telling us about his problems when writing. The inmense frustration he feels when he has to start over and get rid of stuff that simply didn't work, spending hours and hours working on it. Telling us that his brain will eventually run out of ideas and that he will have to spend sleepless nights thinking about what to write afterwards. This probably also applies to other group members.
Ever heard of Chicago song 25 or 6 to 4? Well, it's actually quite similar to Wither, a song about writing songs, dealing with the frustration of thinking over and over and throwing away a lot of ideas. (And no, it's not about drugs).
The Shattered Fortress: The journey of a man reaching its end, after years and years suffering with alcohol, he is finally free and forced to deal with the aftermath of what he has done, accepting himself the way he is and the fact that he has to understand everyone rather than to be understood. Learning from thousands upon thousands of mistakes before him and looking at the future, promising to be forever helpful of everyone around.
The Best of Times: Saddest one here. But the kind of sadness that is just plain depressing if we keep in mind a few things...
If we pay attention to the slow part of the song, it's basically a son being sorrowful and apologizing at his father for not being able to accomplish all their dreams, realizing that time just vanished, and that all those things he wished to do with his best friend and idol, are now gone forever. He comes to the conclusion that he has to live on, to honor his father's image, while remembering all they did together as two best friends. Now... This is sad because it was never performed live, since Portnoy never had the strength to do so... And who would blame him? It is also a song that could never be performed live now... Imagine how would Portnoy be if DT was to play this song without him... And to think he quit DT shortly afterwards... Which means his father passed away without learning about his son's departure from the band.

Now here comes something interesting. The Best of Times ending solo is, for me, John Petrucci's most emotional solo ever, and one of the most emotional solos ever written. Thus, it's DT's most emotional outro ever... Which fits perfectly for the following song...
The count of Tuscany: Most interesting one, and also another of the saddest, but this one has a sadness that is mostly instrumental, but also lyrics are important. Listen to the intro, it is so beautiful, and what a perfect way to continue what was set during The Best of Times. This is arguably the most emotional intro ever, it's simply awesome. Although neither The Best of Times nor The Count of Tuscany got DT's hardest instrumentals, they do hold some of their most emotive (For me, the most) moments.
The Count of Tuscany sounds so joyful, it is not a sad song (For the first half), but rather exciting and happy, yet in depth feeling so... unreal, so depressing.
The lyrics basically speak about a man meeting two strangers, and believing that they are going to kill him. Only to find out that it was a terrible confusion. The middle part which everyone hates (The calm one) fits perfectly to the situation, it's awesome if you think about it. I prefer to see it as a man struggling to deal with the fact that he is going to die there, alone, with nobody noticing. The man goes on, thinking and thinking before finally collapsing and continuing the lyrics... James' voice reflects that so perfectly... And then... The best part kicks in... The man, the Count, had invited him to see his place, excited, to tell someone about his stories and traidionts... Only to find out he has freaked out his guest. Then he tries to fix things, explaining everything, saddened over the fact that his "friend" wants to leave... Before finally agreeing and telling him "Of course, you're free to go... But tell everyone about me and my brother...". I like to see it as the man and the count coming into terms and the man promising the count to narrate his story afterwards, and reveal their lifestyle and popularizing the isolation in which he must have been living...

Well... These are my opinions... man, what a bible.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 01:48:12 AM »
I forgot about the instrumental album - it's one of the best things about BC&SL. I love all the subtle differences, the bits where they've used different takes, etc. It's a great listen - particularly the ending of TBOT - I hate the way that fades out on the album proper.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 02:12:45 AM »
TBOT's actually one of the few fades I like. TTT and TMOLS, on the other hand...
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:47 AM »
BC&SL is good album, Thats it!

I really like Wither, TCOT and AROP. I wish they would bring these songs back to their live sets.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 01:16:23 AM »
BC&SL is boss
Fuck I&W
Fuck SFAM
Fuck Awake

BC&SL, SC and DT12 bosses.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 01:27:35 AM »
BC&SL is boss
Fuck I&W
Fuck SFAM
Fuck Awake

lolno

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 04:03:51 AM »
BC&SL is boss
Fuck I&W
Fuck SFAM
Fuck Awake

Lol, I appreciate your sentiment towards the 'underrated' albums there, but I still couldn't say that at the expense of the more 'overrated' albums. I also can't even tell if you're serious. :P I like 'em all anyways.  :lol

BC&SL is good album, Thats it!

I really like Wither, TCOT and AROP. I wish they would bring these songs back to their live sets.

Yes, those three exactly! I'd love to see any of those make it into a set. Wouldn't hurt to play TBOT one day but I kinda doubt that'll be happening any time too soon though...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 06:42:12 AM »
BC&SL is boss
Fuck I&W
Fuck SFAM
Fuck Awake

OK
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:06 AM »
BC&SL is boss
Fuck I&W
Fuck SFAM
Fuck Awake

OK

This :loser:

I&W/A/SFAM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DT12>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BC&SL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
Agreed that those albums are better than SFAM.

Definitely not better than I&W though, and only BCSL is even on a par with Awake.

IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
BC&SL is, at least for me, the most depressing and darkest DT album written.
I mean, don't get me wrong, Scenes is also heavily dark and depressing but, after all, it's fiction.
What this album has is that it's real, and its stuff is about things that actually happened to Petrucci and Portnoy (Except for A Rite of Passage, which I consider to be a little out of place, although not a bad song).

Let's analyze the songs.
A Nightmare to Remember: The darkest one here, and talks about a tragedy, which even though it was not THAT severe (since nobody died and apparently nobody had permanent physical injuries), from a child's point of view, it's an horrific experience. Imagine looking at your family in such a terrible situation, moaning and calling for help or, even worse, not saying anything and then experiencing the incredibly frustrating sensation of not being able to help anyone while you are being treated and also, unaware of their current status!
A Rite of Passage: This one I have not heard it that much, but as far as the lyrics concern, it's one of DT's most interesting lyrical approach. I mean, don't judge me, but when I first heard it I thought of the Illuminati almost instantly, and it offers a pretty good atmosphere about secret organizations dealing with the initiation of its members. (Keep in mind I could be wrong about this one, since I'm not a great fan of it, just giving my opinion with the lyrics)
Wither: This one is quite relaxing, awesome, but also very depressing. It's basically John Petrucci telling us about his problems when writing. The inmense frustration he feels when he has to start over and get rid of stuff that simply didn't work, spending hours and hours working on it. Telling us that his brain will eventually run out of ideas and that he will have to spend sleepless nights thinking about what to write afterwards. This probably also applies to other group members.
Ever heard of Chicago song 25 or 6 to 4? Well, it's actually quite similar to Wither, a song about writing songs, dealing with the frustration of thinking over and over and throwing away a lot of ideas. (And no, it's not about drugs).
The Shattered Fortress: The journey of a man reaching its end, after years and years suffering with alcohol, he is finally free and forced to deal with the aftermath of what he has done, accepting himself the way he is and the fact that he has to understand everyone rather than to be understood. Learning from thousands upon thousands of mistakes before him and looking at the future, promising to be forever helpful of everyone around.
The Best of Times: Saddest one here. But the kind of sadness that is just plain depressing if we keep in mind a few things...
If we pay attention to the slow part of the song, it's basically a son being sorrowful and apologizing at his father for not being able to accomplish all their dreams, realizing that time just vanished, and that all those things he wished to do with his best friend and idol, are now gone forever. He comes to the conclusion that he has to live on, to honor his father's image, while remembering all they did together as two best friends. Now... This is sad because it was never performed live, since Portnoy never had the strength to do so... And who would blame him? It is also a song that could never be performed live now... Imagine how would Portnoy be if DT was to play this song without him... And to think he quit DT shortly afterwards... Which means his father passed away without learning about his son's departure from the band.

Now here comes something interesting. The Best of Times ending solo is, for me, John Petrucci's most emotional solo ever, and one of the most emotional solos ever written. Thus, it's DT's most emotional outro ever... Which fits perfectly for the following song...
The count of Tuscany: Most interesting one, and also another of the saddest, but this one has a sadness that is mostly instrumental, but also lyrics are important. Listen to the intro, it is so beautiful, and what a perfect way to continue what was set during The Best of Times. This is arguably the most emotional intro ever, it's simply awesome. Although neither The Best of Times nor The Count of Tuscany got DT's hardest instrumentals, they do hold some of their most emotive (For me, the most) moments.
The Count of Tuscany sounds so joyful, it is not a sad song (For the first half), but rather exciting and happy, yet in depth feeling so... unreal, so depressing.
The lyrics basically speak about a man meeting two strangers, and believing that they are going to kill him. Only to find out that it was a terrible confusion. The middle part which everyone hates (The calm one) fits perfectly to the situation, it's awesome if you think about it. I prefer to see it as a man struggling to deal with the fact that he is going to die there, alone, with nobody noticing. The man goes on, thinking and thinking before finally collapsing and continuing the lyrics... James' voice reflects that so perfectly... And then... The best part kicks in... The man, the Count, had invited him to see his place, excited, to tell someone about his stories and traidionts... Only to find out he has freaked out his guest. Then he tries to fix things, explaining everything, saddened over the fact that his "friend" wants to leave... Before finally agreeing and telling him "Of course, you're free to go... But tell everyone about me and my brother...". I like to see it as the man and the count coming into terms and the man promising the count to narrate his story afterwards, and reveal their lifestyle and popularizing the isolation in which he must have been living...

Well... These are my opinions... man, what a bible.

No need to apologize for being "long-winded!"

My post on this thread wasn't exactly short either.

I would also like to point out that there are other "great works of literature" that are a lot LONGER and more BORING than the Bible.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »
BC&SL is boss
Fuck I&W
Fuck SFAM
Fuck Awake

You HATE "Images" and "Scenes?"

I can understand them not being everybody's favorites...

...but why the hate?

However it IS nice to know that someone agrees with me that "Systematic" is as good or better!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »
BC&SL is boss
Fuck I&W
Fuck SFAM
Fuck Awake

You HATE "Images" and "Scenes?"

I can understand them not being everybody's favorites...

...but why the hate?

However it IS nice to know that someone agrees with me that "Systematic" is as good or better!
Probably my least favorite out of these albums is Awake xD.
I actually love them all...
And fucking love BC&SL, as well as SC, which was the very first Dream Theater album I heard carefully and has a deep sentimental meaning for me.
And yeah, won't apologize for the long text lawl, ty
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »
I never listen to it. I have though, very often. It hasn't aged well indeed. I don't know what the 'problem' is.. I saw DT on that tour and they were still absolutely great.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline italianoman

• Where am I?
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:58 PM »
For me, this album has aged really well; I wasn't a huge fan when it came out, even though I enjoyed it. Now, I find that I must have been in a weird, memorable place when it came out, because listening to it really takes me back. Still not really into The Shattered Fortress or The Best of Times, but I generally love every other track.
https://www.facebook.com/DreaminginWaves
I sing, I shred and I do it better than most monkeys.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2015, 08:03:20 AM »
The Stargazer cover would've been great if JLB didn't go so overboard with trying to sound like Ronnie. It doesn't suit him. It's a shame too because the music is spot on. Didn't care too much for the Maiden cover either

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:09 AM »
The Stargazer cover would've been great if JLB didn't go so overboard with trying to sound like Ronnie. It doesn't suit him. It's a shame too because the music is spot on. Didn't care too much for the Maiden cover either
I don't think James went overboard, and in fact, I've never heard this criticism. He certainly sang the hell out of it, and really shines on the covers disc. I wish he had that freedom on the actual album.
The Maiden Cover would have been ten times better had it been part of the Black Clouds sessions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »
I have to say the album keeps growing on me.  I've become a big fan of TSF lately  when originally I wasn't too crazy about it. TCOT speaks for itself.  It's just a masterpiece.  TBOT solo is one of JPs best and I still don't get why so many people dislike the song.

TSF was KILLER live on the last tour. Turned out great on Breaking the Fourth Wall as well.

I think seeing in live was what did it for me.

I never cared for TSF when it came out.  I love it on BtFW.  It seems fresh now.  I think the live energy made a huge difference in this one.  Maybe the time away from the suite also helped. Now I love the "callbacks" to the original songs (as opposed to thinking of them as "recycled" on BCaSL) 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2015, 07:28:10 PM »
I have to say the album keeps growing on me.  I've become a big fan of TSF lately  when originally I wasn't too crazy about it. TCOT speaks for itself.  It's just a masterpiece.  TBOT solo is one of JPs best and I still don't get why so many people dislike the song.

TSF was KILLER live on the last tour. Turned out great on Breaking the Fourth Wall as well.

I think seeing in live was what did it for me.

I never cared for TSF when it came out.  I love it on BtFW.  It seems fresh now.  I think the live energy made a huge difference in this one.  Maybe the time away from the suite also helped. Now I love the "callbacks" to the original songs (as opposed to thinking of them as "recycled" on BCaSL)

I love the previous song references. It's fitting since it's the closing of the suite.

Is that Jewel?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
BC&SL is boss
Fuck I&W
Fuck SFAM
Fuck Awake

:umno:  but thanks for playing.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »
I haven't listened to this in ages.  I liked it a lot when it was released and thought it was a definite step in the right direction after Systematic Chaos, which I didn't like at all except for TMOLS.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2015, 06:54:20 PM »
6 years later, and I still don't get what problems people have with the lyrics (other than, I guess, trying to sound edgy and cool by finding something to critique).

Well, I am not criticizing to sound egdy or cool. I just hate the lyrics, and think they are badly written and actively distract me from enjoying the songs. Lyrics are a huge deal to me, and vocals are more important to me than most of the other instruments, most times.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
I just played it the other day for the first time in a couple years I imagine. I like it EVEN LESS now.. and I never liked it that much. Really felt like a letdown.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
I just played it the other day for the first time in a couple years I imagine. I like it EVEN LESS now.. and I never liked it that much. Really felt like a letdown.

Did the same about a week ago. It was on the heels of listening to ADTOE and DT back to back. Those two albums are so far superior to BC&SL......it's not even close IMO. BC&SL has such a 'forced' feel that in one aspect I can understand MP's desire to 'take a break'. What I think was needed (and still could be useful) is an outside producer and just a change of the way they go about writing albums. But....BC&SL can't even be saved by TCOT or the 'hopelessly drifting' section of ANTR.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline manticore999

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »
I didn't care for it at all when it came out and I haven't listened to it since.  Like TOT and 8VM and SC, this album isn't even on my music player anymore.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 01:39:10 AM »
I think I've actually warmed up to this album. The Shattered Fortress and The Count of Tuscany are both amazing, as are large parts of The Best of Times. That's more than half the album that I like or love.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2015, 01:39:54 AM »
I think I've actually warmed up to this album. The Shattered Fortress and The Count of Tuscany are both amazing, as are large parts of The Best of Times. That's more than half the album that I like or love.

I definitely like it more and more as time passes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2015, 06:42:33 AM »
I can barely listen to any of the songs on this album.  I like Wither and The Shattered Fortress, but the other songs are a real chore for me.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2015, 08:39:20 AM »
I'll listen to it today in honor of this thread, but it will be the first time in a few years. Honestly, my thoughts going in are much like Hef's above. Maybe I'll be surprised.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »
The Shattered Fortress

I love this song on the last DVD....I thought it sounded awesome live and Mangini owned it!!! It is also my 8 year olds favorite DT song for some reason....he requests it all the time!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind