Author Topic: Mike Mangini's 3 Layer Polyrhythm Drum Practice Pattern  (Read 4107 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Mike Mangini's 3 Layer Polyrhythm Drum Practice Pattern
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »
Saw he posted this on Facebook:

https://youtu.be/BJ37nonagho

I am not a musician so I have no idea what he is talking about, but he is sure gifted and smart.

Calvin6s

Re: Mike Mangini's 3 Layer Polyrhythm Drum Practice Pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »
He is just playing with repeating sequences that don't fit nicely into certain time signatures.

I'll try to explain some basics here.  The most common time signature is 4/4.  That means four beats:
1 - 2 - 3 - 4

The most basic drum pattern would be
B - S - B - S (Bass and Snare - think AC/DC)

Each beat can be divided by 4 (sixteenth notes) and is counted out as:

1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a

You can see that is 16 subdivisions.
So Mangini is talking about patterns of 17 and 19, which don't divide nicely into 4/4 (16 subdivisions)

In other words, when the 4/4 ends (and begins to repeat back on 1), the 17 pattern still has 1 more subdivision.  The 19 pattern has 3 more subdivisions.

So the second time around, the 17 pattern would begin on the e of 1
third time around, the & of 1
fourth time around, the a of 1
fifth time around, it is back on the beat, but the 2, not the 1

Etc. etc.

It is definitely not an easy thing to do as it requires the ability to think about two different beats at once (hence, polyrhythms)

And the 3 layer means putting the 4/4, 17 pattern and 19 pattern together all at once.

This is why he says it isn't meant to be musical.  The idea is he practices this type of stuff so it comes out more naturally later on in life.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:10:08 PM »
The ones with the triplets and the double bass sound really musical to me. Hope he would do some of these polyrhythms in the next album.

Or that we would hear this unleashed in the next album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es2ZOIUfDjI
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:41:50 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:11:01 AM »
The ones with the triplets and the double bass sound really musical to me. Hope he would do some of these polyrhythms in the next album.

Or that we would hear this unleashed in the next album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es2ZOIUfDjI

:o

Just amazing!  I love watching this guy.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »
I am a good enough drummer to know that what he does and what I do are two separate things.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
This is why he says it isn't meant to be musical.
He mentions this quite often in his posts, means that he's aware of the chief criticism against his playing ("no groove") and is possibly tired of it. As I am. The man is tons of fun to watch and listen to, and he's one of the most inspiring drummers out there. His highly technical approach is unique, interesting and always insightful.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Calvin6s

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
He mentions this quite often in his posts, means that he's aware of the chief criticism against his playing ("no groove")

I just took it as matter of fact. 

I'd be genuinely surprised if that stuff actually got to him, as most of it is minor and more along the lines of personal preference than pure criticism.  Don't think I've ever heard anybody suggest anything close to "Mangini sucks".

Just like Kevin, Derek and Jordan comparisons.  They all brought different things to the table.  I have more of a problem when people bad mouth past players to build up the current one.  That seems petty.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 06:35:47 AM »
He mentions this quite often in his posts, means that he's aware of the chief criticism against his playing ("no groove")

I'd be genuinely surprised if that stuff actually got to him, as most of it is minor and more along the lines of personal preference than pure criticism.  Don't think I've ever heard anybody suggest anything close to "Mangini sucks".

Just like Kevin, Derek and Jordan comparisons.  They all brought different things to the table.  I have more of a problem when people bad mouth past players to build up the current one.  That seems petty.

That's inevitable but I agree with you.  Let them speak for themselves because nothing WE say is going to change how they play.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
I am a good enough drummer to know that what he does and what I do are two separate things.
:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »

You should see the MM bashing in Mangini's official Youtube channel and even in the MM Facebook page. It's tiring for MM fans like me, when all threads inevitably end up as an MP comparison thread.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »
You should see the MM bashing in Mangini's official Youtube channel and even in the MM Facebook page. It's tiring for MM fans like me, when all threads inevitably end up as an MP comparison thread.

Yes, the threads were way better when MP was the drummer.

Calvin6s

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 02:25:05 PM »
Well, that's unfortunate.  But I guess that is what happens in free for all *forums*.  That's why I refuse to abandon real forums (like this one) for Facebook, Twitter and the worst- YouTube comments.  Real forums feel like conversations that sometimes get out of control.  FB, Twit, YT feels like a clusterf*ck that on rare occasions turn into a real conversation.

But you are just going to give yourself a migraine if you try to defend MM against "the world".  I'm sure Mangini is secure enough in his own playing to know he doesn't suck while also being open to constructive criticism.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:51:35 PM »
Well, that's unfortunate.  But I guess that is what happens in free for all *forums*.  That's why I refuse to abandon real forums (like this one) for Facebook, Twitter and the worst- YouTube comments.  Real forums feel like conversations that sometimes get out of control.  FB, Twit, YT feels like a clusterf*ck that on rare occasions turn into a real conversation.

But you are just going to give yourself a migraine if you try to defend MM against "the world".  I'm sure Mangini is secure enough in his own playing to know he doesn't suck while also being open to constructive criticism.

Well FB, Twit, YT aren't really forums but comment sections.  Not meant to form conversations, but make your comment although they sometimes form into arguments/conversations.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:28:35 PM »

I am just giving the context that when he specifically highlighted that this video is not about groove but about practice, he may actually be highlighting that for the Youtube commenters who populate around a third of the comment section with "no groove" "robotic" "math not music" and "midi player" comments. He posted this in his Youtube channel after all.

Calvin6s

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »
"midi player"

You have to admit that MIDI player is pretty funny.  It would almost be a great tongue in cheek joke to ask Mangini at a clinic "do you consider yourself more of an 808 or a 909?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »

So basically it's the equivalent of being an MP fan on DTF.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 04:45:55 AM »
He focking left the baaaand !

Time out ! Exclamation point !

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »

So basically it's the equivalent of being an MP fan on DTF.

Maybe at the time of the break-up. But nowadays? Nah. Not even close to how any DT12 or MM thread is hijacked by the 'no groove" and "robotic" comments.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »
Maybe at the time of the break-up. But nowadays? Nah. Not even close to how any DT12 or MM thread is hijacked by the 'no groove" and "robotic" comments.

Hijacked? lol! I'm thinking you're oversensitive to opinions you disagree with, because I'd just call that a discussion.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 04:37:18 AM »
Saw he posted this on Facebook:

https://youtu.be/BJ37nonagho

I am not a musician so I have no idea what he is talking about, but he is sure gifted and smart.

CONFIRMED : New album may have drums.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »
He is amazing.  I think I enjoy listening to his playing most on BTFW and he plays all of the older material to a tee.  Love it.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline lithium112

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 10:50:59 AM »

Ugh, every DT album so far has had drums. I wish they'd try and be a bit experimental this time, instead of confining themselves to what they're "supposed to sound like."

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 12:10:15 PM »
He's wearing my drum academy's pants  :hefdaddy
Because Mike is better than Mike

Calvin6s

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »

Ugh, every DT album so far has had drums. I wish they'd try and be a bit experimental this time, instead of confining themselves to what they're "supposed to sound like."

Don't worry.  Is says MAY have drums.  (which is the weakest confirmation in history)   :lol